Author Topic: Do i need a seperate stand alone GPS to get to Deadhorse Alaska  (Read 5810 times)

bobrebos

...or will the GPS on my Iphone be enough.  My stand alone old GPS finally broke and I dont know if one will be required for the Alaska trip or if the Iphone will suffice??  Thanks....

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Do i need a seperate stand alone GPS to get to Deadhorse Alaska
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
 What if you go down and your iPhone gets broken? Get a car GPS they are under a hundred for a refurb unit.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
Insert the following in comments below: "I only use maps and so should you!"

The phone will work PROVIDING there is cell coverage. I don't think you can rely on that (I'm almost sure you cannot).
I would get a cheap GPS as a back up and some good maps as another backup.

I don't think you would need much of a GPS if you can read maps. It's not like there are a lot of intersections to get lost at on your way.

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »
Map is best, there�s only one road! GPS will send you down dead end roads.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:32:07 AM by Matteo »
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »

twowings

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:31:20 AM »
Spend your money on a device that can be used to locate you and lets you send a HELP signal to those concerned...check advrider.com for recommendations

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »
Just had a few friends coming back from Deadhorse this year

They said Cell Reception is SHIT in Canada portion of land, but was excellent once you hit Alaska and switch to US cellular network.

Cell GPS has more updated map regarding to gas station, food, traffic updates.

HOWEVER, there were time their satellite based GPS were a lot more accurate especially when they go off road into the woods.

So ya, short answer to your short Q, yes, please bring a separated GPS when traveling to Deadhorse Alaska.
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
There are like 3 roads going up there in total. Once you get on the Dalton, well then...

I just printed off some map pages and kept them in my tank bag. It wasn't often that I needed to refer to them.

bobrebos

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
There are like 3 roads going up there in total. Once you get on the Dalton, well then...

I just printed off some map pages and kept them in my tank bag. It wasn't often that I needed to refer to them.

I ordered some Canada and Alaska maps so I should be good.  That and an old car GPS for a back-up.  If I get lost you can all read about me in the news!  Woo Hoo....Alaska in June....here I come!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
The phone will work PROVIDING there is cell coverage. I don't think you can rely on that (I'm almost sure you cannot).
I would get a cheap GPS as a back up and some good maps as another backup.

You do NOT need cell coverage for a phone GPS. Why do you think you do?

I have Android devices mounted in my vehicles with no cell service, they have great GPSs. All I need to do is load the maps on a memory card over WiFi beforehand. I have access to a number of great maps all loaded on my device. Some of them have great highway maps. Some have great offroad maps. Some have great highway routing features. Some have features that seek the twistiest roads between here and there. Some find the fastest. Some are just simple but detailed maps.

A regular GPS is lucky to have one mediocre map, and their idea of routing. If it is missing anything, too bad.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:50:10 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »

I have Android devices mounted in my vehicles with no cell service, they have great GPSs. All I need to do is load the maps on a memory card over WiFi beforehand. I have access to a number of great maps all loaded on my device. Some of them have great highway maps. Some have great offroad maps. Some have great highway routing features. Some have features that seek the twistiest roads between here and there. Some find the fastest. Some are just simple but detailed maps.

A regular GPS is lucky to have one mediocre map, and their idea of routing. If it is missing anything, too bad.
Wayne, what maps and apps are you using on your Android devices? ,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 01:50:01 PM »
There are apps with downloadable maps and as pointed out cheap car satnav available. I have a garmin zumo which is a proper bike satnav. Its good for following a route but it is hopeless for browsing a map and planning a route, phone apps are much better for browsing a map.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 01:52:28 PM »
Just had a few friends coming back from Deadhorse this year

They said Cell Reception is SHIT in Canada portion of land, but was excellent once you hit Alaska and switch to US cellular network.

Cell GPS has more updated map regarding to gas station, food, traffic updates.

HOWEVER, there were time their satellite based GPS were a lot more accurate especially when they go off road into the woods.

So ya, short answer to your short Q, yes, please bring a separated GPS when traveling to Deadhorse Alaska.

I take exception to the 'shit' comment  :wink:. Whereas shit infers poor cell reception; there is none on the highways in Yukon.  Well, except in weird little pockets where reception from towns seems to bounce.
For the traveller; you don't 'need' a gps any more than you 'need' a map as long as you stay on the main roads and can read road signs but you'll miss a few side trips. Having both map and gps makes travel a lot more comfortable.
I use mine (gps) as an odometer and time management device more than as a directional pointer.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
I ordered some Canada and Alaska maps so I should be good.  That and an old car GPS for a back-up.  If I get lost you can all read about me in the news!  Woo Hoo....Alaska in June....here I come!!!!!!!!!!!
If you plan to stop for more than fuel in Whitehorse, let me know. Would be glad to meet you.
It's great ridding here; enjoy.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »
I'd recommend a separate GPS.

A SPOT satellite tracker or similar device is highly recommended in case you need to get word out that you need help. As has been noted, your cell phone will not have reliable enough coverage to act as a safety device.

The cell phone GPS will work, AS LONG AS YOU USE AN APP WITH DOWNLOADED MAPS! (Get a decent sized MicroSD card to hold them.) I use Sygic on Android (Moto G5Plus), but I haven't tried it in remote areas of Canada yet so I'm unsure of its map quality there. It does show the Alaska Highway and in-town roads for places like Whitehorse and Tok, AK.

If you plan on using your phone in Canada check with your carrier re roaming charges - these can be hefty, particularly for data! If you have an unlocked phone, you can get a SIM card from a Canadian carrier after crossing the border - this may save you a bunch of money. Just remember to switch back to your US SIM card when you cross the border.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
Wayne, what maps and apps are you using on your Android devices? ,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Often Google maps, of course, for finding POI. But that needs data generally. Waze for traffic, but again, in needs data.

For riding around the twisty roads, I like OSMand. It offers a number of map types. I even created my own display XML to make it more visible in sunlight with OLED displays.

I use CoPilot for long road trips. It just works.

I used to use Locus for off road trails. Haven't done that in a while though.

Kurviger and Motogo are good for finding twisty routes. Don't use them if you are in a hurry.

Maprika is great for just putting a dot on a map. You can download a lot of maps, like for national parks and such. You you can take a picture of any map you have, and it will locate you on that map. Good for hikers. Or just wondering how far you are from that overlook you like on the Blue Ridge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
...or will the GPS on my Iphone be enough.  My stand alone old GPS finally broke and I dont know if one will be required for the Alaska trip or if the Iphone will suffice??  Thanks....

No.  If you can tell north from south without one you're golden.  If you can't, you don't belong up there.  Like Matteo said -- there's one road.  What could go wrong?

bobrebos

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
Im leaning toward just purchasing the Garmin InReach and be done with it.  Its expensive (In my opinion) and there is a monthly subscription service charge, but that should be all I ever need on any future trips too.   :bike-037:

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
YES! There is NO cell service until you get to Deadhorse, then there is plenty. GET a "real" GPS ... It will have better sensitivity and higher reliability. It will tell you exactly where you are lost. Then again. There is ONLY 1 road between Fairbanks and DeadHorse.. The Elliot Highway from Fairbanks to The Dalton.. (Take a right) ... There are no other turns available.... :)
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
ALSO.. I am a big believer in "No single point of failures" If you combine all your requirements into 1 device. and that device fails, you have NOTHING. Splitting Phone, for communications and GPS, for navigation, makes a lot of sense to me. 
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 04:50:05 PM »
GET a "real" GPS ... It will have better sensitivity and higher reliability.
Why do you think a so called real GPS is more sensitive?  I tested a lot of GNSS devices in an RF chamber. Often the phone's were more sensitive, had better processors, and received more bands like Glonass as well as GPS.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:51:28 PM by Wayne Orwig »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
No.  If you can tell north from south without one you're golden.  If you can't, you don't belong up there.  Like Matteo said -- there's one road.  What could go wrong?

"What could go wrong?" .... ummm I nearly spit my coffee.
Should we tell travellers about the fifteen minute rule?
When you stop on the side of the road it takes about fifteen minutes for the scavangers (coyotes, wolves and bears) to smell the new meal?  I'm not sure if this is true or not. I only ever stop for thirteen minutes at a time.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
I was being facetious.  If it can go wrong it might.  But the wrong road to Deadhorse is kinda out of the spectrum.  Exactly where on the road might be a good question, but it's not going to be answered with a cell-tower-based GPS.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
I was being facetious.  If it can go wrong it might.  But the wrong road to Deadhorse is kinda out of the spectrum.  Exactly where on the road might be a good question, but it's not going to be answered with a cell-tower-based GPS.

I recognize humour when I read it. That was funny.
I think OP has the message; cell phones are for towns. Alaska has much better coverage than this side of the border but there are still huge swaths that are dead ~ as far as my most recent memory goes. It isn't like coverage miraculously appears 30 kilometres west of Beaver Creek. I've stopped on more than several occasions (Canada side) for a motorist needing help. It never fails to surprise them that we can't just call for a tow truck. "I'll call when I get to the next town".
Next up: road conditions when it rains.....

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
I have the Garmin InReach Explorer and pay the subscription, and the extra for the medical evacuation. This service also enables sending text messages through satellite, so you do not need phone system coverage. I bought the cheapest plan and use it sparingly. I have the Garmin Earthmate app on my phone - and it works without the GPS being paired - and it even works in airplane mode.

I went on a dirtbike ride recently, but forgot the handheld GPS. I got around just fine, and laid down an accurate track all throughout the ride, just from the phone's GPS reception (while in airplane mode).

It's not a perfect setup, but I like the app quite a lot. I also like the ability to send text updates when I am outside coverage areas. My wife likes knowing that she can reach me if needed, and that I can call for help via satellite if needed.

When I went to Europe last year, I downloaded all the maps for free for Germany, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. Then I had detailed maps for the whole trip without using any data services.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 06:24:34 PM »
The most important thing to remember in a good Alaska rain is that you can only see the top of a pothole.  The bottom, if there is one, is hidden.  The consistency of the bottom can only be discovered by testing it.  I've seen a lot of riders charge a wet spot to discover it's 18" deep and has a slippery clay or deep mud bottom.  I hate stopping in that stuff to pick somebody else up just a little less than when it's me.  I've put my fly rod to better use probing the road than catching fish.

The next thing is to not traverse a flooded road until you walk it (or send someone on ahead  :evil:).  You need to know the depth, direction of flow, and bottom before you try crossing it.  4" of fast moving water over clay is a challenge.

The mud sticks to head pipes and stains them.  Mine are a rusty brown, but it's mineral plating, not rust -- smooth as ceramic coating.  It sticks to everything else, too.  You'll want to hose the bike down occasionally if the rain doesn't do it for you.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 11:34:45 PM »

Are you saying Wayne that a cellphone has a GPS built in?
(I always thought the cellphone apps worked by navigating using the cell tower locations)

If you don't need cell coverage do you still need a Sim card?

Do you still need a service provider?

Thanks
Roy

This is something to be aware of, If you were travelling West on the Trans Canada going to Vancouver Island with an older model GPS it would completely miss Highway 17 a major new highway that could save you an hours travel. Even if you buy the latest model GPS there's no gaurante the map is up to date. The TomTom and Magelin I have get confused when I drive over this. If you bought a map from a service station it could be out of date also.

Good luck trying to find an address in a new sub-division.

Most people don't expect to have to upload a map for their new GPS

So many traps for young players.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:03:48 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 03:35:32 AM »
There are two technologies calling themselves GPS these days.  One is what you expect -- satellite fixes for position.  The other uses cell tower fixes.  I'm pretty sure the cell tower type is sucking up your dats quota for the month as it lays a slug trail to track you with.  True GPS does neither.  Obviously the global coverage of true satellite GPS is the better technology.

Either kind can be "standalone" or internet dependent.  Standalone means you pack your chart set with you as downloaded files.  They work with or without internet access.  Internet dependent types rely on interaction with Google Maps or similar on-line mapping service.  No internet access = no nav.  My Android phone can use that "OK Google" thing to plot and start a trip in an urban area, but it ceases to work once I'm out of cell phone range.

A smart phone capable of loading apps and having a GPS (most smart phones and many tablets do) can use any number of nav programs.  The programs of course have different dependencies and different features.  I use a $25 app called SYGIC, which is GPS-based and standalone.  It uses Tom-Tom maps and among its other features works with my Bluetooth headset and has HUD mode.  Depending on how and why you use GPS, this gizmo might be what you want.  There are more complicated products that will do about whatever you want in terms of trip planning, real-time notifications, finding a gas station, etc.

Personally, I think that unless you're certain you'll never be out of cell range, an internet-based or cell tower nav system doesn't make any sense.  I also think it makes more sense to overbuy and discover useful features later rather than cheap out and limit yourself.

bobrebos

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:14 AM »
There are two technologies calling themselves GPS these days.  One is what you expect -- satellite fixes for position.  The other uses cell tower fixes.  I'm pretty sure the cell tower type is sucking up your dats quota for the month as it lays a slug trail to track you with.  True GPS does neither.  Obviously the global coverage of true satellite GPS is the better technology.

Either kind can be "standalone" or internet dependent.  Standalone means you pack your chart set with you as downloaded files.  They work with or without internet access.  Internet dependent types rely on interaction with Google Maps or similar on-line mapping service.  No internet access = no nav.  My Android phone can use that "OK Google" thing to plot and start a trip in an urban area, but it ceases to work once I'm out of cell phone range.

A smart phone capable of loading apps and having a GPS (most smart phones and many tablets do) can use any number of nav programs.  The programs of course have different dependencies and different features.  I use a $25 app called SYGIC, which is GPS-based and standalone.  It uses Tom-Tom maps and among its other features works with my Bluetooth headset and has HUD mode.  Depending on how and why you use GPS, this gizmo might be what you want.  There are more complicated products that will do about whatever you want in terms of trip planning, real-time notifications, finding a gas station, etc.

Personally, I think that unless you're certain you'll never be out of cell range, an internet-based or cell tower nav system doesn't make any sense.  I also think it makes more sense to overbuy and discover useful features later rather than cheap out and limit yourself.

Thanks for the info.  I downloaded the SYGIC app and will try it out..........If I can figure out how it works, or if it needs a GPS or internet signal to actually work?  Im slow when it comes to this tech stuff......Thanks again....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:57:46 AM by bobrebos »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 09:12:02 AM »
Are you saying Wayne that a cellphone has a GPS built in?
(I always thought the cellphone apps worked by navigating using the cell tower locations)

If you don't need cell coverage do you still need a Sim card?

Do you still need a service provider?

Thanks
Roy

This is something to be aware of, If you were travelling West on the Trans Canada going to Vancouver Island with an older model GPS it would completely miss Highway 17 a major new highway that could save you an hours travel. Even if you buy the latest model GPS there's no gaurante the map is up to date. The TomTom and Magelin I have get confused when I drive over this. If you bought a map from a service station it could be out of date also.

Good luck trying to find an address in a new sub-division.

Most people don't expect to have to upload a map for their new GPS

So many traps for young players.
Cell phones have true GNSS, GPS and Glonass location. They ALSO can locate off of cell towers and Wifi. So they have much MORE location accuracy then a stand alone GPS. Inside the house here I am getting 19 satellites.

The one gotcha is that cell phone owners typically use Google maps or such that need cell data. But that is easy to fix with any number of free or pay map apps that put the map data on the phone.

You do not need to activate the phone. And there are now many rugged phones out there. Look for Youtube videos of the Nomu phone. They use the thing as a hammer in one video, toss it in a pool. Toss it off a building. Still works. A lot of off road motorcyclists are getting those, not activating them, and using them as a GPS in the woods.

On the other hand, I have two dead Garmin waterproof GPS units on a shelf where I made the mistake of riding in the rain, and they flamed out. My Samsung on the other hand I dropped on a rock and it slid into a lake. I just picked it up, wiped it off, and kept taking photos. Don't say a Garmin is more rugged, they aren't.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:20:22 AM by Wayne Orwig »

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »
There is really only one android phone to use and that is a MOTO G. How could you use another? I have bought several new for $20-30 for use with prepaid service and then never activated them. Run them in airplane mode with wifi service only. The gps works great. Install a micro SD card and load up the maps and other useful software.
I use Torque for reading my cars computer and then there is Scan16M 15RC USB which looks like it will read 15M/RC ECUs and Scan M5X which reads M5A ECU.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here