Author Topic: Anyone out there ever make their own go-kart?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Anyone out there ever make their own go-kart?
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »
Been thinking of making a go-kart for our dirt/gravel roads... something for general goofing off and ripping back and forth to the sister-in-law's place. I was thinking "ATV" style wheels, rear mounted engine (whatever small, sub 100 cc engine I can find for as cheap as possible.)

I've got a line on a free non-running Honda three wheeler from the 80s... thinking of using the rear axle and wheels from that... anyone see any issues? Better ideas? Pictures of stuff you've built?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:20:00 AM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Online rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Anyone out there ever make their own go-kart?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »
If you use those bigger wheels/tires, go for a bigger engine - 250cc or so.  Look to your local salvage yard.  Back in the 70's me and a couple of friends built one with a dad-welded frame and a salvaged Yamaha 360 enduro single.  Little racing style tires made it scary fast, but what a hoot! 
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
I built one when I lived in the Caribbean. A family friend had a great shop and a couple of ace Portuguese mechanics. The entire cart was built from scratch in a day around a big two-stroke single. It was crazy fast, but kept breaking chains. No pictures, but just imagine the cobbiest attempt at locomotion ever built (the steering wheel came from a 12� 150# gate valve). The next day, I moved on to pushing coral around with his Cat D9.

It was a great week for a 15 year old kid...

Those Honda 3-wheelers are notoriously evil-handling. Part of the problem was the lack of a fourth wheel, but much was due to the live axle. Because both wheels turn as though they incorporated a diff lock, turning will be dicey whether it has three wheels or four. It will handle better if only a single rear wheel is driven.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
I built one when I lived in the Caribbean. A family friend had a great shop and a couple of ace Portuguese mechanics. The entire cart was built from scratch in a day around a big two-stroke single. It was crazy fast, but kept breaking chains. No pictures, but just imagine the cobbiest attempt at locomotion ever built (the steering wheel came from a 12� 150# gate valve). The next day, I moved on to pushing coral around with his Cat D9.

Those Honda 3-wheelers are notoriously evil-handling. Part of the problem was the lack of a fourth wheel, but much was due to the live axle. Because both wheels turn as though they incorporated a diff lock, turning will be dicey whether it has three wheels or four. It will handle better if only a single rear wheel is driven.

That's what I was looking for... wasn't aware of the live axle. (I flipped more than my share of these things back when I was young... and put them through the ice, and into rivers and and and...).

Hmm. I'll keep my eyes open for something better suited.

edit: although...this thing would only ever see loose dirt, sand and gravel... a live axle might work better.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:03:00 PM by Toecutter »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
Little brother and I built one waaayyyy back when.

5HP briggs snowblower engine, from an old rusted out broken snow blower. Wheels from... I forget what. Built the frame from wood with steel axles and reinforcements. Since I knew enough about vehicles to be dangerous and since we didn't have any way to make a differential, our Dad suggested one-wheel drive with a chain. So, the engine was bolted in biased to the right hand side, a centripetal clutch was found... somewhere. I think Dad's buddy with the chainsaw shop provided it. Then just a length of chain around the drive sprocket to a larger one on the wheel and that was the driveline.

Thinking back on it, we would have done it with a v-belt, pulleys, and tensioner, but got the clutch so that settled that.

Yes, if you mashed the gas it torqued to the left a little, but it was just fine, we learned to control it, and that made building and operating it so much simpler.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
If it's not going to be used in deep grass, mud, or rough ground, I'd just build a simple standard go-cart, 8" wheels, with a single drive wheel, scrub brakes, and a centrifugal clutch.   You could put anything from an old 5 HP Briggs off a junk tiller, to a new $150 "Predator" engine to a romping stomping chainsaw engine in it.    Simple, nothing to go wrong, easy to fix.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
Well, it will probably see use on some back woods stuff. By bro-in-law has a dirt bike track on his property, and a couple km of "trail" through the bush.

I'm just at "daydreaming and planning stages" right now, though, so I'm digesting any and all ideas.

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »
There's a book entitled "Design and fabrication of a cost effective Go Kart" quite a mouthful,  recently published and free to read on Kindle. You probably have to subscribe but you get a month free then can cancel, no idea if the book is any better than what you find on the Web just searching. Seems to be an Indian author so cost effective probably means very little ??

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »
Indian + cost effective = sign me up. 

canuck750

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
I loved go-carts back in the 60's, the kids with $$$ had Briggs and Stratton 5hp beasts in theirs, mine had two friends pushing the all wood with salvaged tricycle wheels my builds consisted of.

Two skinny 8 year olds pushing did not make a single hp but we sure had fun.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
I am under pressure (every now and then) from the 19 year old petrol head grandson to build one.

So far I have resisted......... Be fun to do tho............
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
Out where I am (New England) the old Tecumseh side valve snowblower engines are the most sought after motors.
Hard to find, and maybe the Harbor Freight Asian Predator engines do have better numbers.

But an old American sidevalve has value to some of us.....

I'm still using my 25+yr engine to blow snow.  So I can't give it up yet.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
I made one out of 2x4s when I was about 10. Door hinges on the front corners for steering. Don't remember what wheels I used but would guess from a radio flyer wagon. Powered by some old 2 stroke motor and way over geared with pullies. No brakes only an idler pulley on a stick that was lifted to tighten the belt. Hang on. I am sure it went over 30 mph but with lots of belt slipping to get rolling.
I started a second one a few years later using water pipe. I had a 4 stoke motor and one rear slick with sprocket but never finished it as parts were getting too expensive.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:28:22 PM by PeteS »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 05:48:10 PM »

I had a couple of the Honda 3 wheelers, Sheep and you'd be surprised how those things could be maneuvered and ridden at speed thrown into curves on dirt at breakneck speeds. Google 3 wheeler races and be amazed!

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »
build one together with my high school teacher who was in charge of the metal fabrication class.

We savaged parts out of an old small riding lawnmower and used the engine & axles out of it...

I was in charged of lightening the body while my teacher was in charge of "juicing up the engine"...

well, as we didn't bother upgrading the brakes, we drove the thing into the wall the first bend around the school gym LOL...

lesson learned: when Power/Weight Ratio goes up, the allowable stopping force must also go up or something else will.
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »
Probably everyone here has made a go kart when they were a kid.. :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »
From Chuck:
Probably everyone here has made a go kart when they were a kid..
I am one of the few that didn't. However...a neighbor kid I hung with some received a pretty nice one from his parents. We all lived in the country and his father bladed an oval dirt track. That is where I learned how to power slide.  :evil:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
That's what I was looking for... wasn't aware of the live axle. (I flipped more than my share of these things back when I was young... and put them through the ice, and into rivers and and and...).

Hmm. I'll keep my eyes open for something better suited.

edit: although...this thing would only ever see loose dirt, sand and gravel... a live axle might work better.

As I recall, the technique for steering those 3-wheelers called for pushing your weight to the outside of a turn until the inside rear wheel lofted, when the steering could finally work as designed. It was an imperfect and non-linear approach, however...wherein the rider's slightest miscalculation would pitch him/her into a tree.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 08:54:24 PM »
Probably everyone here has made a go kart when they were a kid.. :grin:

I never made a go-kart.  :sad: Maybe it's time to do it now?  :laugh:
Charlie

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 09:23:10 PM »
 I build one as my school workshop project. Maybe a bit over the top.
400cc Yamaha engine and independent suspension all around. Spend a ton of money on that project [emoji23] ran out of time and never got it totally up and running. Still have most of the parts to put together at some point.

-Ulrik

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 06:40:35 AM »
You might be better off buying a used one some kid has out grown
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
My go-kart story. Once upon a time I shared a house with a guy who worked as a mechanic at the local Honda motorcycle dealer. They would take anything in trade. If it was crap, it would be offered to the employees for free. Anyway, my roomie brings home a Honda Odyssey with no motor and a wrecked early '70's CB450 . We shoehorned the 450 motor into the Odyssey. It was scary fast until I kissed a tree with it.
Best,
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »
You might be better off buying a used one some kid has out grown

Where's the fun in that?

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »
...this thing would only ever see loose dirt, sand and gravel... a live axle might work better.

The live axle would make for better drifting  :thumb:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »
The live axle would make for better drifting  :thumb:

Yeah, that's where I'm leaning... farm fun... it's not a party til a pallet is on fire, and someone is revving an engine of some kind.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »

Possible repurposing of a riding lawn mower??  Just throwin' it out there :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »
Yeah, that's where I'm leaning... farm fun... it's not a party til a pallet is on fire, and someone is revving an engine of some kind.

MAN, make sure you sent out an invite when the party starts...

I like bonfire....*shamlessbump*

and ya, Live axle will def be a hella more interesting to ride around...just need to remember your turning radius is HELLA outta wack when going in highspeed  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
Where's the fun in that?

I guess I’m more of a rider than a fabricator. Everyone is different.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
I guess I�m more of a rider than a fabricator. Everyone is different.

I'm no fabricator... I'm just a jack-of-all trades that gets easily bored. I'm a tinkerer that chases whatever project is interesting to me.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »

I have both the250 shaft drive Honda 3 wheeler and a 300 Big Red Honda quad. I agree, you have to be a bit cautious turning the trike on grippy dirt, not so bad on sand.

Farm use for trikes is basically zip now as there were so many accidents when they first came out.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here