Author Topic: How Many Years Motorcycling ?  (Read 8270 times)

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
Re: How Many Years Motorcycling ?
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2019, 03:10:25 PM »
I bought a CB72 Honda Hawk, a 250cc version of the 305cc Super Hawk - in October of 1962. I'd been a sports car guy. A friend told me about these motorcycles from Japan that offered much of what we expected only from exotic cars: high rpms; overhead cams; race-worthy brakes; sporty, adjustable rider positions; high hp-output per cc, on and on. I went to Dreyer Cycle in Indianapolis, still there, and bought a red Hawk. Not knowing any better, I rode it to Tucson in the first three days I owned it, helmetless, corduroy jacket, street shoes. The clutch started slipping right away. A guy at a hardware store/Honda shop in New Mexico installed the warranty clutch plates as I watched.

I saw that people saw me differently, and I liked it. I'd never known such adventure, and I never looked back. I refrained just now from calculating how many years ago that was. It'd scare me to know... I do know that my life would've been a poorer place indeed w/o them dang motorsickles.

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
A few days ago I responded to a thread called How Many Years Motorcycling. I wrote a short response, inoffensive, I thought. Abruptly, the thread ended. How have I offended? I had no intention of providing a conversation-stopper. If I approached answering that question in a way that shushed everyone, someone please tell me how I did that. I'm pretty new to the forum and don't want to be a damned nuisance. Thanks!

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
A few days ago I responded to a thread called How Many Years Motorcycling. I wrote a short response, inoffensive, I thought. Abruptly, the thread ended. How have I offended? I had no intention of providing a conversation-stopper. If I approached answering that question in a way that shushed everyone, someone please tell me how I did that. I'm pretty new to the forum and don't want to be a damned nuisance. Thanks!

Nothing offensive that I could see.  Sometimes, threads just run their course and die - everyone who cares to contribute already has.  And then, occasionally, someone new will run across them and resurrect them with new comments.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
Nothing offensive that I could see.  Sometimes, threads just run their course and die - everyone who cares to contribute already has.  And then, occasionally, someone new will run across them and resurrect them with new comments.

Agreed. It was a good story of beginning to ride. Mine is similar.
As for the original question? Several.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »

Probably just a decision that the useful life of the thread was over and it had more downside potential than upside.   Just so happened you were standing in the wrong place when the music stopped ... !    :thumb:

I doubt seriously if YOU were the straw that broke the camel's back ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
It all began on a 1969 Honda Z50 Mini Trail when I was 5.  At 19 and living in Southeast Florida, I was able to buy my first street bike, which was a 1984 Kawasaki Ninja GPz900R.  Somehow, I wasn't killed.  There were a few years as a youngster when I didn't have access to riding, but at 47, I've been riding for 36 years.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2019, 12:39:47 PM »
Years ago when Regina and I started with Guzzi, we met and rode with an old rider from Alameda, CA.  Mark Anthony.  He rode an 89 MilleGT and was over 80  years at the time,  having been born around the turn of the century.  He's long gone since.  I suspect only Frank Wedge would remember the name.  He was a very aggressive rider and hard to keep up with even though I was  half his age.

Mark had a wonderful life story and shared a newspaper article with me.  When he was 17 years old (about 1917) , living in Ohio, he and his buddy bought two Harleys.  They rode the bikes from Ohio to New York City, boarded a ship, and sailed to England to spend two months touring.  The purpose of their trip?  They wanted to ride on PAVED roads.  At that time, anything west of NYC was just dirt.  He had an old newspaper article about this story and gave me a photocopy.  I wish I could still read that article.  Might be deep in my files, but seemingly lost forever.  Good on ya, Mark.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline wolfeguitars

• Jay Wolfe
  • New Egg
    • Wolfe Guitars
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
Bought a renovated & cam'd up '58 Triumph TR6 in summer of '63 In my home town of Metairie, Louisiana. Loved that thing, cept for Lord Lucas the Prince of darkness. Had to stop many times on side of the road & file the contact points so I could SEE. Not see much, but something! Maybe a frog or Racoon, Gator, snakes, etc. Bought a new Bonny in '65. Been riding since cept for a 20 year hiatus to raise a family and do 12 years of Offshore Powerboat racing. Now ride almost daily to the gym and to my Guitar shop & some errands. I enjoy riding more now than ever. Not doing any long distance nor 2 up riding, just me & my grin.

2002 California 1100EV 80th Anniversary with matching sidecar
1998 Triumph T-Bird Sport
1990 Ducati 851 (I know- it's crazy)
1992 Ducati 900 Supersport (not nearly as crazy)
I ride to work, ride to eat, ride to nowhere for nothing.
* Moto Guzzi 2002 California 1100EV w/ Sidecar
* Ducati 1990 851
* Ducati 1993 900 Supersport

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2019, 01:05:04 PM »
Got my first bike in 1964, a 1948 Matchless G3L 350.  Sold in 1985. A number of Hondas, starting in 1970 with a C100 Honda 50 stepthrough.  Amazing bike, was my commuter for years. Cb100, CB250RS, GB400 all followed.  Guzzi replaced the GB400 in 2003 and I still have it. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2019, 01:14:52 PM »

Clue me in here , you responded to this thread and it ended , or a different thread with the same title ? I haven't witnessed you being offensive in any way , did I miss something ?

Dusty

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
55 years sears puch moped

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
There have been at east two mass extinction events since I started to ride! :boozing:
I don’t remember the last “ice” age, but lamentably I’m seeing the effects of the current one.
The kids are dying, but they’re just walking around whilst doing it.
I can’t even dip my toe in the pool compared to some here, but 1973 on what was the most breathtaking thing on two wheels that I’d ever seen and it was given to me by my Dad, who was a life long biker, I was 14 at the time..

The bike came with a list of demands and instructions that made the Magna Carta and Dead Sea Scrolls look meagre and superficial, but I initially obeyed out of fear and then couldn’t conceive of treating a bike any other way.
I used to pinch the fuel from the motor mower, make my lunch and strap it to the bike and be gone all day, sampling the delights of being “away” on the bike..
Nothing much has changed really...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:54:09 PM by Huzo »

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
  I can't see how someone responding to this topic would've been removed . It's a pretty happy history lesson  :azn: , Peter

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »
  I can't see how someone responding to this topic would've been removed . It's a pretty happy history lesson  :azn: , Peter
Who was removed ?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2019, 02:05:33 PM »
Clue me in here , you responded to this thread and it ended , or a different thread with the same title ? I haven't witnessed you being offensive in any way , did I miss something ?

Dusty

mhershon, look out!   It's a trick question!   You almost got away with it, don't blow it now .... !!   :grin:

Lannis

Offline Big_Jim59

• New Egg
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2019, 02:56:20 PM »
I fell in love with motorcycles 44 years ago. I was in fifth grade English class and my buddy Mike slid a Triumph sales brochure to me under the desk. It had 11"x17" full color images of their entire line from the T150 Trident to the 500cc Trophy Trail. I was hooked and I had never thrown a leg over a bike in my life. Motorcycles just looked like pure adventure to me. And they are! Somewhere I have a list of all my bikes and I think I have owned over 36. This is not too bad considering the hiatus I took from bikes when the kids were little. The bikes I kept the longest were my BMW R90/6 and my 5th Gen Honda VFR800. My biggest regret was having to turn down an offer to buy a real Moto Guzzi V7 Sport for $800. The seller was just trying to leave town but I was a poor mechanic and I just didn't have the money.
2001 Moto Guzzi Quota (Black)
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Triumph T100

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »
That VFR 800 would have been a nice piece of kit.
I reckon they are the most European of the Jap bikes going around, I’ve never been on one but probably best I don’t..

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Dusty, I posted a reply to the How Many Years question, and suddenly the replies stopped. I was the last poster. I was afraid I'd offended or some-damn-thing. I'm glad to be off the hook and to see others posting their own stories, creation stories of their own riding lives.

Offline Big_Jim59

• New Egg
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
. . .1973 on what was the most breathtaking thing on two wheels that I’d ever seen and it was given to me by my Dad, who was a life long biker, I was 14 at the time..

I had the same type of experience with, all be it, a different story. I spent my entire college savings of $90 on Carrel Jannin's Honda SL125 that he had ridden until it wouldn't run any more. I had worked in my grandfather's lawn mower shop and knew my way around a flat head but overhead cam was new to me. Through much trial and many errors I replaced a bent valve and a cracked piston. The only reason I got to keep the Honda was because it was not running and I bought it with my own money. My mom was dead nuts against motorcycles. It was the only time I remember my dad vetoing my mom on anything. (Thanks Dad!) We had a power line easement not more than a block from my house. It passed over the school's sports fields and close to a shopping center. If you were careful and didn't abuse the privilege (noise and neighbors) you could ride for miles. You could fill up at the Gulf station that was accessible through the shopping center parking lot. We always pushed the bikes across the street and avoided entanglements with law enforcement. I was 15 or 16 and my bike was my magic carpet.
2001 Moto Guzzi Quota (Black)
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Triumph T100

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2019, 06:05:01 PM »
Hmm - I post my history with some trepidation !
My first powered two wheel ride was in 1970 on a school mates, at the time, ancient CZ two stroke bone shaker.
A few years later in 1974 I bought a new Yamaha DT 175 which I eventually crashed resulting in a few weeks off work. My dear mother made me promise that I would never ride again as long as she lived - a promise which I dutifully honoured.
After mums passing 25 years ago I started to ride again and have been ever since. So neither the years in the saddle or the epic mileage of most folk here but I'm on my third Guzzi, love the marque and just ride my own ride.

Glenn

Offline Lefty

• New Egg
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
46 years. My 1st year of riding was 1973 and it was a great year to be dirt biking. We didn’t think about who owned the land we rode on. The local motorcycle shop owner was your friend and the guys you ride with were your brothers. I think that last one still holds true.
1970 Honda CB750
1972 Husqvarna CR250
1973 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1978 Yamaha YZ250
1995 KTM 620 Super Comp
2001 Moto Guzzi California

oldbike54

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
Dusty, I posted a reply to the How Many Years question, and suddenly the replies stopped. I was the last poster. I was afraid I'd offended or some-damn-thing. I'm glad to be off the hook and to see others posting their own stories, creation stories of their own riding lives.

Just making certain I didn't accidentally hit a wrong button Maynard . Carry on brother .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2019, 07:55:41 PM »
46 years. My 1st year of riding was 1973 and it was a great year to be dirt biking. We didn’t think about who owned the land we rode on. The local motorcycle shop owner was your friend and the guys you ride with were your brothers. I think that last one still holds true.

The local Yamaha shop owner was more than a friend - he (they, actually) were mentors and guides.    My Dad had passed away when I was 13, and when I was hanging around their shop at age 17 they sort of "took me in" to the shop, their racing effort, and all that.   They had two sons near my age and we got to be riding buddies.

It WAS a good year to be dirt-biking ... I had a CT-3 175cc Yamaha ... but I was always very careful to make sure I had permission to ride wherever I was riding, which included the farmer across the road, and a permission slip from the local Continental Can timber company, who owned thousands of acres around us.

One day I met up with a couple kids (brother and sister, 15 years old, I was 18) - they were on SL-100 Hondas and were really good dirt riders, who invited me on a ride (all dirt, no public roads).   During the ride, we rode miles through the woods, and we passed a house on one of the roads that looked occupied.   It worried me a little, since I didn't know any of the folks around there, but they said that they did and I was with them.   

As we came riding back past the house, there was an apparition in combat fatigues and a black military rifle standing square across the road.   When we were about 40 yards away, he raised his rifle at about a 45 deg angle and fired over our heads.   A pine bough got clipped off and fell in front of me.   We are, of course, sliding to emergency Bat-Stops, and the guy I was with was ripping his helmet off of his head so the gun dude could recognize him.    The dude said "All I saw was 3 bikes riding past the house, and I'd never seen you with anyone else before, so I didn't know who it was.   Next time if there's more than 2 of you, let me know!"

I didn't blame the resident a bit.   Good times back then!

Lannis

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:43 AM »
How many years? Not nearly enough!

Three years back when I was a teenager, then got away from bikes due to college, starting to work professionally, and then acquiring a wife and kids... that made for a twenty year hiatus. That ended five years ago, and now, I have a wife who rides beside me, she's on her third year.

We're in our early 40s now, got lots of years, lots of miles, and lots of smiles yet to go!
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Blaufeld66

• Hatchling
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »
Just 14 years this May.
Sold:
1984 V65C
1985 850-T5
2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello Edition
2008 Stelvio 1200 4V
Own:
2003 California EV

Offline randy yocum

• Hatchling
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »
I was 15 in 1971 I bought a used Honda Z-50 with my summer job money  as a dishwasher making $1.00 an hour.That makes 48 years ,and the excitement of riding has never faded. 
2012 Stelvio NTX
2007 Norge
1998 EV
1981 V-1000 G-5
1997 Ducati 900ss
1983 XL 600R bought new
1978 XS 1100

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
 1976 Brand new left over 1975 Suzuki GT380 at 19, I took my test on it. Before that help my friend put a oval around his parents house on a mini bike, then this Ducati single which I don't remember if we could ever get it started. So 43 years,when I started riding I said I would stop at 40,didn't work out that way.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
In 64 I bought a 62 Triumph cub. Several  other Triumphs followed. Got 3 bikes in garage now: 98 Guzzi EV, 09 Yamaha FJR and 1200 Bandit. So it's been 55 years since my first ride. Most of my miles have been the last 20 years...300,000+ miles, smiles and lots of country roads.
Bill

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2019, 04:42:57 PM »
I'm finishing my 4th year. I started later than I would have liked at 25 years old
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:24:04 PM by Thirtyaughtsix »
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
  Whew , I'm feeling better now , was beginning to think there were no newer riders . Awful memories of my last decade at Harley dealerships where there were absolutely
no young riders ( certainly cost played a roll , but some of the Sporsters were almost cheap ). To start again with the choice of bikes out there would be a treat  :azn:, Peter

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here