Author Topic: V 85 TT owner reviews  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Phil/TX

• Gosling
V 85 TT owner reviews
« on: February 04, 2021, 07:15:21 PM »
I’m tired of hearing reviews by non Guzzi riders. They just carry on about how weird they are! So real owners of V 85 TT’s speak out and let me know the good and the bad.
"You will seldom regret what you have done, but you will always regret what you have not"
2014 V7 Special
20 Guzzi V85TT Coast Guard (super chicken)
23 V100 S Mandello ( wing man)
1973 Puch 175 Enduro
2003 BMW R 1150 RS
1972 R75/5 with sidecar

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V 85 TT owner reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 08:56:56 PM »
Seat’s too high
Great distance bike
Cruise control excellent
Better roll on than expected 90-140 k
Smooth
Throttle too heavy..(easy fix)
Nice seat to ‘peg distance
Very stable
Tracks truly
Fully loaded reveals 850cc capacity
If you want any of those expanded I’m happy to. I have 20,000 on mine

Offline Paultergeist

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:15:16 PM »
I am new as a Guzzi owner......only have ~ 500 miles on my V85TT thus far, but it has been great.

Pros:
I agree with Huzo that the seat is slightly higher than I would ideally like when stopped, but it is very comfortable to ride once underway.
Fit and finish seems superb to me.
Cool headlights, cool colors, cool luggage, cool seat design........I could go on and on.
Very nice to ride, smooth, predictable, stable......inspire s confidence (at least for me).
Plenty of power......buckets of torque.....goes faster than I care to ride, and gets up to speed in an instant.
Ergonomics seem really good for my size and build....nothing awkward to reach.
I'll stop there, but I could make this list much longer.

Cons:
Kinda hard to check the oil level with only a side-stand.
I would like to get rid of the cat, but am unsure about doing so until I understand fuel compensation a bit better.
Along similar lines, DynoJet doesn't even bother making a Power Commander module for this bike, which is a bummer.

But overall, I really like this bike.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
Seat’s too high
Great distance bike
Cruise control excellent
Better roll on than expected 90-140 k
Smooth
Throttle too heavy..(easy fix)
Nice seat to ‘peg distance
Very stable
Tracks truly
Fully loaded reveals 850cc capacity

I pretty much agree except I think the passenger seat is too high, not the driver's.  Also, the idle isn't lumpy enough for me. 
It's got good fuel consumption- I average around 50 mpg for average riding. 
It is very stable-  great cornering. The handling is about my favorite thing on this bike.   I can't address the 'fully loaded reveals 850', but it is definitely not a powerhouse.   
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 12:40:45 AM »
Oh, I meant to add.
I’ve lowered my seat height by about 30 mm, but that’s about as far as I can go.
This shows it a bit.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 05:17:35 AM »
Why didn’t we get the damn solid red here in the States???   :thumb:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline j.davis

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 05:54:28 AM »
Agree with all the above, I like it in the dirt, but not the mud.
Seat problem I think is not the height, but the width which keeps you thighs wide apart at rest. I am going to try and get mine rounded off in the front and see how I go.
I get 500ks (480 with two litres remaining) out of a tank with mixed riding. Averaging 22kpl in the three months and 10k of ownership.
Annakees are good all round tyres for me.
Had my suspension set up by a suspension shop and have no complaints.
Cruise control is a big bonus.
Lots of people complain about the wind turbulence, I have had a screen deflector on mine since new and ride with a peak helmet without problems.
Loose bolts on the bar clamps and bar ends on purchase and a small oil leak, all fixed by the dealer.
If you want an ECU map, a bloke in Australia does them with glowing reviews, he also ships the software internationally.  https://www.torquepowermotorcycles.com.au/rexxer-agents-australia-new-zealand/ecu-motorcycle-tuning-rexxer-australia/   It is his own map, not Rexxer.
My only failure has been the exhaust cover on the L/H side has cracked and is getting replaced under warranty.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 07:23:44 AM »
to get rid of the cat, but am unsure about doing so until I understand fuel compensation a bit better.
Along similar lines, DynoJet doesn't even bother making a Power Commander module for this bike, which is a bummer.

But overall, I really like this bike.
why do you think you need a PC? They are over rated get a better map if fueling is off.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »
For those who are saying the seat height is too high, what is your inseam, and are you wearing adventure boots when riding?

Do you roll up off your butt when you come to a stop so you are basically standing while straddling the seat?

I've only sat on the bike in the dealer showroom while it was on the center stand. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
I have changed very little on my V85.
I bought this bike on January 27 of last year from AF1 in Austin and then rode it home over 3 days back to Tucson.
The only modifications I've made are to replace the y-pipe, add some crash bars, add some auxilliary lighting, add the MyTech tool box, and replace the rear wheel with an Alpina for tublessness.

I had my 1200 Sport for 10 years, previously my only Guzzi experience. The 1200 Sport was a bit more brutal with engine, and overall, feel. Do I miss that instant acceleration when I twist the throttle? Well I haven't so far.

I've gone through a few different ADV bikes, trying to go a bit smaller than my 1200 Sport to see what would work. I had a Honda CB500X for a while, it was okay after I put a tall seat from Seat Concepts on it and dropped the pegs however the footpegs were still a bit too far back and the 17" front wheel gave me some problems with rough off-roady stuff. This bike took me to both Copper Canyon and Baja but I never loved it. I toasted the chain in Baja and blew a fork seal on the way to Copper Canyon, neither was a big deal.
After the CB I went with a Kawasaki Versys-X. I can't remember if I put a Seat Concepts on this, but I probably did. Otherwise this bike came pretty well set up for me. I ended up going one tooth larger on the front sprocket to make it a little less hectic around town but otherwise the seating position was perfect for me on this. A bit lighter than the CB, which was welcome. In the end I never became happy with the engine always revving so high; on a trip to Baja our first stretch is a long 75mph zone, we had a head wind and the only way to keep with any sort of speed was to downshift and rev it to 10k in 5th.

I had originally not planned to buy the V85, pricing put it out of my budget. Rather I was looking at the Yamaha Tenere 700. I was expecting preorders to go live right around the new year (last year) and they didn't. Around the same time I saw AF1 advertising a special deal on a grey V85. At the time, the grey was not my choice but money talks. I ended up with my V85 for around what I would have spent on a T7 after I added luggage, right in my wheelhouse.

- has put a bit of a damper on my riding this year but I've got some quality miles in.
I find the seating position to be perfect for me. The distance between the seat and pegs is exactly where I like it. I don't have a problem with seat height, unless the footing is sketchy and I'm trying to paddle it around. Of course I rode a KTM 640 Adventure for a couple of years, the 37" seat height on that made me likely to forgive most reasonable seat heights.

Coming from the CB500X and Versys-X, the power of the V85 is a revelation. Coming from a bigger bike, not so much. But I don't find there to be a lack of go and am quite happy with it. I have neither need nor desire for more power from this bike. This is the first Guzzi small block I've owned but I have put some time on on a V7 Special, one of the early single throttle body bikes. I didn't note a lack of power on that and really liked the character of the bike. It was on my mind as a bike purchase for quite a while but I was looking for a "do it all" bike. I'd say I find the riding modes to be gimicky however I believe the off-road mode to be quite useful. I rode some very washboarded roads a few weeks ago and road mode made the traction control to continually kick in, resulting in a great loss of momentum. I pulled over and switched to off-road mode and that all went away, making the ride much better. I have no use for rain mode and can't imagine wanting the 2 extra modes arriving on the 2021 version.

I find the windshield to be just fine. But then I've had some bikes that the majority of complainers on the internet have problems with windshields. The windshield on the CB500X did me fine as well as a 2006 V-Strom 1k that I rode to Alaska and back. I've ridden my V85 at all different speeds wearing a variety of helmets, street and ADV helmets, and have never had a problem with buffeting. Or at least what I call buffeting as I think that people have many differing definitions of that term.

I am quite pleased with my purchase, although if I had predicted - was going to shut everything down pretty much right after I bought the thing then maybe I would not have made a large purchase at that time. I foresee this bike being in my space for at least as long as my 1200 Sport was, the only different is that this can be my only bike while the 1200 Sport needed a stablemate for the different riding I like to do. The fuel mileage is head and shoulders above what I would get on my 1200 Sport. Mileage on the highway suffers but if I can keep it under 65 then I'm in the 50mpg range, I was almost always in the 30s on my 1200.

Downsides? It's a little heavier than I'd like. The Versys-X was a sweet spot at under 400lb, but to get that in a bigger bike I think I'd have to go KTM and my prior KTM experience already left scars.
The throttle has a dead spot off idle when cold, at least until it warms up. I'm hopeful this will be resolved with a map update but I'm not due to have the maintenance light turned off for another couple thousand miles and I see no reason for multiple trips to the dealership.
That brings me to the stupid maintenance light which can only be turned off by the dealer. I know many people simply ignore the darn thing but I find myself unable to do that. I costs $60 at my local dealership and I've decided it's worth that much.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I have had a chance to ride a Tenere since I bought the V85 and will say that I'm glad I went the way I did. That could be self rationalization but this bike really rubs me the right way.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:29:25 AM by Bisbonian »

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 08:44:02 AM »
Nice review Bisbonian!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 09:22:37 AM »
Loving the bike, only 2 issues:

1: Even though most folks are praising the seat comfort, it gives me monkey butt after an hour.  Going to address that with Sargent or other option
2: Even the tall windshield with Laminar Lip is pretty useless as to buffeting and wind noise, following various ADV Rider threads to see what they can come up with that isn't a Frankensteined abomination
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
I have owned nothing but Moto Guzzi motorcycles for the last twenty five years except for a brief stint with a BMW K75 my wife just had to have. All of the Guzzi's I have owned have been tremendous bikes, not withstanding the little quirks we here all know about. The V85 is certainly no exception. She has become my go too bike for everyday riding and the only bike I took on road trips last year. Below is an excerpt from a ride review from the first of three road trips I did last year on her.

In a nut shell, I left Loveland early Sunday morning and headed up and over Cameron Pass, dropped down in to North Park and hit the dirt just after Gould. Rode a descent dirt road to Rand that afforded wonderful views of the valley that I have never seen before. I then headed north out of Rand and overshot my turn off for the next bit of dirt. When I figured that out I turned around and headed Back. This next section of dirt would take me all the way to the mid section of road between Walden and Muddy Pass. It was all dirt and open range. I had to stop briefly and hit the horn for a while to get the cattle off the right of way. They didn't care.
Next was the up and over of Muddy Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass down into Steamboat Springs. Nothing new, done it a thousand times. But always a good ride. Made my way over to Craig for fuel and then down towards Meeker. This time I went over Yellow Jacket Pass which is all dirt except for the first stretch which was gravel. Gravel sucks no matter what machines you are on.More of that later.
Stopped in Meeker for a bit of water and a break then headed up to Trapper Lake. The road out of Meeker was a blast, even when it turned to dirt, I was still cruising along in 4th or 5th with out an issue. Then it turned to gravel. The sadists who decide gravel makes for a good road surface need to be drug out and beaten.
The last couple of miles to the turn off for Trapper Lake was ridiculous gravel. 3-4 inches thick. Loose and complete bull shit. Then this crap continued all the way down the 10 mile jaunt to Trapper Lake. All the way back to the main road and then all the freaking way over Ripple Creek Pass towards Yampa. It was 70 miles of standing on my pegs trying to keep the weight down low and leaning over the bars trying to keep the front wheel stable. Second gear most of the time, first when stuff got really hairy. If I tried to sit even briefly I was gently reminded that the gravel was loose, thick, and unforgiving and greeted with a head shake from the front wheel. So back up I went to send my combined CG down to settle the bike. Gravel sucks!
Right before getting off the gravel section I came upon a heard of sheep that must of been at least 600 head. Wow, that was neat. About 6 miles from Yampa the road turned to asphalt and this is where I realized why GS guys are sometimes so dang fast. After spending 70 miles with my rear tire begging for traction while my front danced all over the freaking place, getting on to a section of asphalt was like finding Shangri-La. I was riding on greased lightning! I was absolutely tearing up the road. I was carrying way more corner speed than I normally would but I was so in tune with the bike I couldn't help myself.
After a brief water break in Yampa I made my way up to Steamboat Springs and made camp for the night. I was exhausted.

Day two, Broke camp early and went due north out of Steamboat Springs. The next bit of dirt was awesome and I had a blast. It was barely a road at all being just wide enough for a single vehicle with a few wide spots to let on coming traffic thru. The surface was dirt with a lot of frost heaved sections that really put the suspension to task. Even getting completely airborne a few times. No drama, just a well sorted suspension that fully absorbed all of the bumps. Pretty dang cool. Bombing through the woods like this I was not expecting to see this around the corner. https://threeforksranch.com
What a sight out in the middle of BFE.
The rest of the road was great. Really good sights. I made my way up to Wyoming Highway 70 and rode it up and over Battle Pass to Encampment. Then headed up and Over Snowy Range Pass to Centennial and then down to Lake Owen for Camp.
I bombed around on the logging roads for the afternoon after making camp. The V85 just loved exercising her suspension and never really complained. I am really impressed with how well she performed over the whole trip and when I am on her I most definitely won't be shying away from the other roads that I have rode around all of these years.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 02:46:10 PM »
Yampa and Oak Creek.  A few visits there 35 years ago.  I think I have friend of a friend in Yampa. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 04:14:47 PM »

Hey Huzo,
I like what you've done to the bike, especially the front fender.
That's one of the show stoppers for me,  besides spoked rims.
Can you elaborate on the changes?
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »
Hey Huzo,
There’s a thread on here called “V85 facelift”.
I will bump it up the queue for you.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 04:30:19 PM »
I'm at 50 bikes and 900,000 miles over 57 years of riding. this is my 12 th Guzzi and I find faults with everything I own. Except for this one. With a 28" inseam it's a bit tall (for me) but thats not its fault or a fault. I cringe saying this but it might be that it is the least problematic new Guzzi ever.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 05:12:58 PM »
I bought one of the earliest ones in June/2019 serial number 53.  I have 12,000miles now.  The descriptions have been good, so I don't have anything really to add there.  But, I will say that it has been completely reliable.  I had to replace tires at 9,200 miles but could have gone to 10,000 if I wasn't so careful about tire wear.  I was able to improve the seat by removing the little butt stop which gave another inch of scooting room.  I have only bought a Cal-Sci tall shield for winter riding and have used the same deflector on my past 3 bikes including this one and for me it works well.  MPG with factory shield and no cases is about 55mpg and with factory shield and 3 cases around 50mpg and tall shield and 3 bags is high 40s.  It does feel like a lighter, faster bike when it is in its naked configuration.  I have an appt. in a week to have a center stand and Y pipe added. These are really optional as I feel no real lack but the stand would help with maintenance and tires and the pipe with less heat, I hope.

Ride On

Blu
Blue Guzz

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »
My complete stock exhaust system is up on a shelf.
I could hardly lift it all up there. It is HEAVY..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »
Hey Huzo,
Also there’s a thread called
“V85 TT the mods”
There are other guys who have done stuff as well. I’ll bump that also.

Offline Solorider73

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 06:02:54 PM »
I have ~2500 miles on my V85TT ADV and I'm very happy with it.

Off-road
I replaced a Suzuki DR650 with my V85TT so it has to do some light off-roading.  I rode it to Telico Plains TN back in the fall and it performed way better than I expected.  With some decent 50/50 tires, it would go anywhere I would be willing to ride short of single track.

Twisties
I can ride the twisties as hard as I want and feel confident in the bike getting me through the curves.  So the suspension is pretty good for stock.  I currently have no reason to upgrade it.

Highway
It doesn't buzz or vibrate much at high speeds, so it's good for day long super slab runs.  It has good power all through the rev range.  I think the seat is fine and is one of the first bikes that I probably won't change the seat on.  Seats and windshields are personal preferences and can be changed easily, so I don't pay much attention to these complaints when buying a motorcycle.

So far my V85TT has been reliable and a really good all around bike.  I think the seat height complaints above probably depend on what you have been used to riding.  Compared to my DR650, I'm a couple of inches lower to the ground and I can flat foot it (30 inch inseam).  If I compared it to my V7 III then yes it's way taller.

I've seen some overblown complaints about it not having enough power.  I think it has more than enough power for how I use it.  If more power in a mid sized engine is what you need, then the Japanese and Europeans make plenty of multi valve, OHC, water cooled engines to scratch that itch.

Most non-Guzzi riders that have seen mine either really like it or don't like it at all, not much middle ground.  One guy I rode with kept looking at it and he just didn't like the looks of it.  Of course, he was riding a KTM that had a headlight that looks like a praying mantis so I suspect we were even.   :thumb:
Current Stable
2019 MG V7 lll Stone
2020 MG V85TT Adventure
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Offline Paultergeist

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 08:51:23 PM »
why do you think you need a PC? They are over rated get a better map if fueling is off.
My expectation may simply reflect my own lack of knowledge in these matters......the thing I liked about the PC was that it is pretty much just a simple plug-in......easy to install, and easy to un-install if necessary.  I confess that I really do not know how to acquire, download, or install after-market maps, and I am concerned that I might damage my ECU if I attempt this.  All of this is operating on the assumption that some sort of fuel correction is good for the bike.  But I am still learning about these things.

Offline v85kris

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »
Why didn’t we get the damn solid red here in the States???   :thumb:
+1
Kris D.
2020 v85tt

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2021, 09:30:47 AM »
My expectation may simply reflect my own lack of knowledge in these matters......the thing I liked about the PC was that it is pretty much just a simple plug-in......easy to install, and easy to un-install if necessary.  I confess that I really do not know how to acquire, download, or install after-market maps, and I am concerned that I might damage my ECU if I attempt this.  All of this is operating on the assumption that some sort of fuel correction is good for the bike.  But I am still learning about these things.

On this site you won't find (m)any fans of the Power Commander.

elvisboy77

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 10:11:49 AM »
I've got 3k on mine.  It is the best Guzzi so far.  Mine is bone stock, I never saw the logic in "saving weight" or "increasing horsepower"

It is a great all around bike, lightweight, good power and handling, lots of factory accessories if you are into that sort of thing.  I did get a center stand and crash bars, both practical additions.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 10:23:43 AM »
How is the stock headlight at night, especially on twisty roads?
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2021, 10:26:57 AM »

From all the online and personal reviews I've read the stock fueling is very good. Also seems to adjust well to exhaust changes like y-pipe replacement (to remove the Cat). As Beetle says when it comes to re-mapping, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Paultergeist

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 01:00:36 PM »
Everyone,

I just want to say "thank you" to everyone for their thoughtful replies.  I continue to read all of the comments carefully.  Even though many opinions offered are somewhat at odds with each other, you are all helping me form a perspective, and i appreciate that.  I have some things to consider.

Thanks again.

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 01:01:17 PM »

Fantastic! I commute on my bike a lot and almost every morning ride is in the dark. The stock headlight is the best I have ever sampled.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »
I reckon also that the stock headlight is more than adequate. My Norge is perhaps a little better, but others may disagree, it’s a near thing.
I did however, install a pair of these.

load geojson google maps

The shot you see at night was the first test after installation.
Since then I have aimed the spots further up the road and increased the spread a little, they are fabulous. They come on with the high beam, but I can disable them with a switch.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here