Author Topic: Hits and misses  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Hits and misses
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:28:31 PM »
Have you ever bought a bike you’ve always wanted and found out you just couldn’t warm up to it?  Three notables for me were a ‘75 BMW R90s, ‘75 Honda CB400F and ‘93 Ducati 900SS.  The BMW was too tall in first, loaded up my wrists and I was terrified to scratch it.  The Honda 400 was too small for me, and I was terrified to scratch it.  The Ducati was too cramped for me and I was just terrified.

Bikes that went the other way were an ‘82 CBX and ‘71 R75/5.  The CBX was so well balanced and effortless to ride.  The BMW didn’t look like much when I first saw one, but it snuck into my heart.  It also looks great covered in road grime.

I’m hoping that when I get to ride my first big block when the G5 is done I will love it.

At the risk of poking a wasps nest, I’m interested in which bikes surprised everyone with their good or bad impressions.

Ben
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Hits and misses
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 08:31:34 PM »
2005 BMW R1200 GS
All the charm of a wooden spoon and equally reliable.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:32:06 PM by Huzo »

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 08:39:15 PM »
I lusted over a BMW RT 1100 / 1150 while I owned by 1996 Kawasaki Concours, after eight years of enjoying the Connie I found a like new (less than 10 month old) 2004 R1150RT that came with a six year fully enclusive warranty, I jumped at it, flew to Vegas to pick it up and jumped aboard to ride it home to Canada. After about 1 hour I realized it was not the bike I thought it would be, it was beautiful, had a great ride, amazing brakes, very comfortable, great luggage .... the only thing it was missing was an engine! I missed my across the frame four cylinder Kawasaki, the Connie was so much more powerful, effortless passing capability, smoother, quieter. On the other hand my wife loved the comfort of the BMW so we kept it until 2018 when we bought a K1600 GTL, super happy wit the big K bike, it actually feels 100 lbs lighter than the old RT, is much more refined and has a very responsive engine, like a bigger Connie. For two up riding I don't think there is a finer motorcycle out there, comfort, power, luggage capacity, handling, brakes etc....
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:02:32 PM »
1975 Honda CB550F Super Sport. Owned it for 1 1/2 years and it always had something wrong with it but worst of all it completely bored me to tears to ride it. Happily it went away fall of 2019

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:02:32 PM »

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »
My late (probably a 1968) BMW R69S. I never paid much attention to BMWs, beyond knowing i could trade my R27 for a couple of 450 Ducatis.  I came out of the bank in Barre, VT one day and saw Tim (didn't know him yet) ride by on his black R60/2.  I had to have one...  About a year later and maybe 3 blocks from that spot, I bought an unrestored original paint R69S for dirt cheap.  I was beyond thrilled to add it to my collection.  Tim couldn't believe I found it and he didn't...

At speed, I loved it.  Looking at it- especially after i added low euro bars, denfeld solo seat and all new exhaust, i loved it.  Started great.  Ran perfect.  Crunchy shifting transmission really irritated me, even though I apparently had it adjusted to perfection.  But it was so slow from a start that traffic was practically a life or death issue every time.  I wanted to enjoy that bike but just didn't. Friends who rode it said you're gonna get killed riding that pig. 

It was the first bike I sold when I cashed in nearly all of my bikes.  What a complete disappointment.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:09:58 PM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:27:21 PM »
My late (probably a 1968) BMW R69S.
I wanted to enjoy that bike but just didn't. Friends who rode it said you're gonna get killed riding that pig. 
It was the first bike I sold when I cashed in nearly all of my bikes.  What a complete disappointment.

This past spring a friend of mine bought a R69S, a 68' as well, cosmeticlay quite nice, ran so so, he really wanted it. First ride on it the spokes on the rear wheel began to pull out of the nipples! Full wheel rebuild with Buchanan spokes was the first hit. Carbs leaked, replaced the seals, carbs kept leaking, after more fiddling the leaks have abated. Starting is a PIA. As lovely as it is the handling is skecthy and the power is frigtenlingly weak. I think it may be moving on to a new caretaker come spring.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline DesmoDog

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:42:35 PM »
Have you ever bought a bike you’ve always wanted and found out you just couldn’t warm up to it?  Three notables for me were a ‘75 BMW R90s, ‘75 Honda CB400F and ‘93 Ducati 900SS. 

'93 900ss? Nothing personal, but we can't be friends.  :grin:

That is one of my favorite real world Ducatis, I've owned two and have serious thoughts about finding another. Best sounding Ducati of it's day. The bike was yestertech from the day it was made but those things have attitude for days, especially the later SPs with their rattling brake rotors and of course the dry clutch. They always struck me as bar room brawlers in a world of prizefighters. They probably won't win but they won't be ignored. Not subtle, not refined, no apologies.

For me the bike that left me cold is my Aprilia RSV-R. Lightweight forged aluminum wheels, Ohlins suspension front, rear, and steering damper. Brembo radial mounted brakes. I just can not bond with it so after spending way too much money making it into a track bike, it'll be for sale in the spring.

-Craig

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »
I was thinking about this very topic this morning. I’m working out of town again, and I rode my Quota down to Columbus GA today. As I was rolling down the brisk road, I couldn’t help but think how much happier I am on the Quota than my Victory. I loved that Vic. It was gorgeous, was in my favorite color, everything was set up how I wanted. But. Riding it left me feeling “meh” and the longer you were in the saddle the more uncomfortable it became.
My Quota on the other hand was bought as a commuter/do everything bike that I don’t care if it gets dirty, rained on while parked at work, etc.. However, I enjoy riding my Quota immensely! So much so that I’ll hop on and go for a ride “just because”, something I stopped doing after I got my Victory. I rode non stop down here and enjoyed the entire trip. No neck cramps, no pains in the ass, (literally) just happy to be riding along. I traded the Victory. I have a feeling I won’t be parting with my Guzzi.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 10:19:40 PM »
I owned 2 Sportsters. I love the looks. It has a lot of advantages as compared to other bikes in its class. One was a early 90s 883 Hugger paint shaker, the other a rubber mount 2004 1200R Roadster. Purty! I just never felt at ease with the handling, and both had a weird cadence to the engine I found to be unpleasing.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 06:24:14 AM »
I have something like 20 bikes,
the two letdowns were the norton commando , because of the questionable handling, and the way it broke down all the time
rode it for 30.000 miles , but spent more time spannering than riding.
the other one was a cagiva 900IE elefant, absolutely brilliant bike, handing and suspension in a class of its own.
but the maintenance is a nightmare .
dropping the engine every 6000 miles to do the desmo valves gets annoying if you ride 20.000 miles/year.
in the weekend there was always a chain, brake pad or whatever to change.

on the positive surprises: My morini, I bought a 500 euro 350 morini to ride over the winter, and was hooked ,
these things are pretty indestructible, even when you thrash them to the redline all the time. 
( Nice if you are used to spend all your time spannering on a norton)
the other surprise was the nuovo falcone, I bought it because it was cheap, but really enjoyed the ride.
pity they have a habit of dropping exhaust valves, I would enjoy using it as daily rider. 

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 06:44:52 AM »
This past spring a friend of mine bought a R69S, a 68' as well, cosmeticlay quite nice, ran so so, he really wanted it. First ride on it the spokes on the rear wheel began to pull out of the nipples! Full wheel rebuild with Buchanan spokes was the first hit. Carbs leaked, replaced the seals, carbs kept leaking, after more fiddling the leaks have abated. Starting is a PIA. As lovely as it is the handling is skecthy and the power is frigtenlingly weak. I think it may be moving on to a new caretaker come spring.

I could have lived with the crunchy trans, even though it made my shovelhead seem silky smooth & high tech.  In rural VT, traffic was not much of an issue. Tim kept telling me the whole /2 scene was a state of mind, much different than typical Ducati & Guzzi riding experience.  It made me think of coasting big hill paved roads on a bicycle as a kid in VT.  Using the brakes ruined everything.  Same deal with the R69S.  Giving up any foward momentum meant a long recovery and if you were pointed up hill when someone pulled out or stopped, you were screwed.

But when we moved south and I rode in more realistic (but still small) city traffic, every stop/start & light turning green seemed to stuff a car up my butt.  They didn't know that I could not go any faster.   Didn't get run over or  hit, but figured it was just a matter of time.

Like I've said for years- Every _________ (this time- bike) is a fantasy until you take it home.  Then it's just reality.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:50:18 AM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 07:03:36 AM »
BMW K1300S........... tear your head off no doubt about it but mind numbingly expensive to own.
Traded that soul less appliance for my Griso.... best decision ever.

Ciao

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 07:30:16 AM »
1975 Kawasaki H1 500cc two-stroke triple.

Bought brand new when I was 19 years old. 

Sold it after an 85 mph "tank-slapper" which almost threw me off the bike and killed me... :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:31:59 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 07:48:52 AM »
Sportster, pig to ride with that big front wheel. Didn't even keep it for a full season.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 02:04:17 PM »
1975 Kawasaki H1 500cc two-stroke triple.

Bought brand new when I was 19 years old. 

Sold it after an 85 mph "tank-slapper" which almost threw me off the bike and killed me... :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

My first bike was a 500 H2. Bought it not running, brought it home in Mom's station wagon, and had it torn down in the basement before she and Dad got home from work. New rings, gaskets, paint, brakes... I rode the crap out of it. Nice weave on freeway ramps as the frame flexed around. Sold it in 83 when I bought my first Interceptor. I might be disappointed in it if I were to own it now, but to 17 year old me, that Kawi was awesome, and started me down a path of many bikes that ends at my Stelvio. If not for that $125 wonder, I might have never started riding.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »
'93 900ss? Nothing personal, but we can't be friends.  :grin:

That is one of my favorite real world Ducatis, I've owned two and have serious thoughts about finding another. Best sounding Ducati of it's day. The bike was yestertech from the day it was made but those things have attitude for days, especially the later SPs with their rattling brake rotors and of course the dry clutch. They always struck me as bar room brawlers in a world of prizefighters. They probably won't win but they won't be ignored. Not subtle, not refined, no apologies.

For me the bike that left me cold is my Aprilia RSV-R. Lightweight forged aluminum wheels, Ohlins suspension front, rear, and steering damper. Brembo radial mounted brakes. I just can not bond with it so after spending way too much money making it into a track bike, it'll be for sale in the spring.

Fair enough DD.  The 900SS was just gorgeous - charcoal over a white frame.  I was a little to large for it and I never got comfortable on it.  That doesn't make it a disappointment.  Still one of the prettiest bikes I've ever owned.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 02:47:43 PM »
This has sort of turned into a /2 bash fest.  I bought one for short money under pressure from a client.  Fixed it up and found that if I rode it easy, it was very rewarding.  Also, it was so classic looking.  I listed it on ebay, then took it for a quick ride.  I didn't lash down the battery, and it tipped over at a turn, shorting the 6v post to the frame.  The wiring harness burst into flame and melted through.  Luckily the high bidder loved the bike and bought it anyway for the reserve with a spare harness, and shipped it home to Thailand.  I really can't fault the bike.  My wife loved the bread loaf seat and would ride on the back out to dinner in summer dresses looking like a million.  I did learn to always fasten a battery securely.

hd full me

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 06:49:05 PM »
My first bike was a 500 H2. Bought it not running, brought it home in Mom's station wagon, and had it torn down in the basement before she and Dad got home from work. New rings, gaskets, paint, brakes... I rode the crap out of it. Nice weave on freeway ramps as the frame flexed around. Sold it in 83 when I bought my first Interceptor. I might be disappointed in it if I were to own it now, but to 17 year old me, that Kawi was awesome, and started me down a path of many bikes that ends at my Stelvio. If not for that $125 wonder, I might have never started riding.

Good story...and of course, just like your first LOVE, you will always smile, remember, and admire your FIRST MOTORCYCLE!

However, there was a very good reason those Kawasaki 500's / 750's were affectionately known as................. ................... .."The WIDOW-MAKER"

:laugh: :grin: :wink: :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 07:28:02 PM »
Yes I have. I always wanted a 80s BMW RT100 full dress in beemer attire. I found a really nice one with only 25k miles, black a d well maintained.
First negative I noticed was, man this thing is really tall for a non duel sport touring machine.
Next noticeable issue was after the first 100 miles, I needed a break. It had excessive vibration and was as fast as a 69 VW beetle.
The last issue before I sold it was after the first trip wife would not remount.
Two happy days, the day I picked it up and the day HE picked it up.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here