Author Topic: Corn thy beef  (Read 214 times)

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
Corn thy beef
« on: October 26, 2021, 08:40:19 AM »
Traditionally done with brisket at $11.00 a pound that wasn't happening. Top rounds were on sale so I'm corning it instead.

2.41lb Top Round = 1100g

By weight of the meat:

Cure number 1
Non-iodized salt (Kosher or canning salt is best)
Sugar

Spices. I'm using:

Allspice berries
Ground Ginger
Juniper berries
Bay
Cinnamon
Black pepper corn
Red Pepper flakes
While Clove
Mustard seed

Toast the spices in a warm pan until they start for be fragrant. It won't take but 30 or 45 seconds.

Spices, cure, salt and sugar into a grinder or mortar and pestle to be course ground

Coat the meat with all the spice/cure mixture and put into a vacuum bag. Pull about 80% of the air out of the bag an seal. You want some air space so in the following days you can flip the meats and swish the juice's back over the meat. Put meat in a  37 to 42 degree fridge for 14+ days, flipping every couple of days

Fast forward 19 days and the curing is complete. Actually it went a little longer than needed but since it very hard to over cure thats okay.

Rub is a blend of coriander and mustard seed, black pepper, onion powder, brown sugar and smoked paprika.

Meat out of the cure, rinsed well with fresh water to get all the old cure and spices off. The dried with a paper towel.

Meat coated with eh spice mixture and allowed to set at room temp for 30/60 minutes while the smoker warms up to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Meat will smoke for about 5 hours

Meat removed from the smoker at 4-1/2 hours and the internal temp is 140 degrees. Next it'll get a nice steam until it reaches an internal temp of 200 degrees. Then it will be pulled wrapped in parchment paper then in aluminum foil and refrigerated until later today or tomorrow.

Since this is a small piece of meat I'm using a vegtable steamer. If you have a larger piece of meat put a foil snake or rack in the bottom of a baking dish. Add water to below the rack. Cover with foil and put in a 325 degree over until you reach the desired internal temp. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:27:58 AM by Perazzimx14 »
It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through!

Online Tkelly

• Guzzi Mentor
Re: Corn thy beef
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 01:46:46 PM »
Curious whether yours will taste any different from the average corned brisket in the supermarket other than less fatty?

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 02:26:54 PM »
Curious whether yours will taste any different from the average corned brisket in the supermarket other than less fatty?

Personally I want it to taste very different than mass produced quick cured corned beef. That's why I'm taking the time to do it proper. Its will also be different texturally as most modern corned beef is injected and wet cured that gives a different texture vs dry cured. Lacking as much fat as brisket this may not be as savory but once cured, soaked, dried, coated in black pepper, smoked rested. It be sliced then stacked mile high between two piece of rye slathered with brown mustard and a slice of baby swiss and a dill pickle spear  :drool:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:12:15 PM by Perazzimx14 »

Online Tkelly

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »
Sounds good!

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »

Offline Scout63

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »
If you are looking for something different, after the beef is done cooking, mix up some marmalade, brown sugar, mustard, orange juice and hot pepper sauce, then brush it heavily on top and bake the beef in a hot oven until the top is crispy.  Use foil in the pan cause it is messy.  I found the recipe back in the crazy 80ís in one of the Silver Palate cookbooks.  There is nothing better than leftover corned beef with eggs.
Ben Zehnder
Orleans, MA USA
1971 BMW R75/5
1972 Norton Commando Combat Interstate
1977 BMW R100S - next up to unload
1978 Yamaha SR500
1979 Moto Guzzi V1000G5 - T3FB mild custom
1979 Moto Guzzi V1000SP
1980 Moto Guzzi v50ii

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 04:55:28 PM »
If you are looking for something different, after the beef is done cooking, mix up some marmalade, brown sugar, mustard, orange juice and hot pepper sauce, then brush it heavily on top and bake the beef in a hot oven until the top is crispy.  Use foil in the pan cause it is messy.  I found the recipe back in the crazy 80ís in one of the Silver Palate cookbooks.  There is nothing better than leftover corned beef with eggs.

Corned beef is just s stepping stone on the way to pastrami.

Online lucian

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »
This reminds me of an ancient thread entitled  "  Beat thy meat"   

Online skippy

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 06:37:59 PM »
Perazzimx14, I am very curious about the amount of salt and cure number 1 you are using? Everything else is by taste but the actual percentage of cure is fairly crucial.

Skippy
06 1100 Breva
20 V85TT

Offline aklawok

• New Goose
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 03:25:56 AM »
This reminds me of an ancient thread entitled  "  Beat thy meat"
be careful! you'll go blind that way! :cool:
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 05:47:28 AM »
Perazzimx14, I am very curious about the amount of salt and cure number 1 you are using? Everything else is by taste but the actual percentage of cure is fairly crucial.

Skippy

Yes there are some rules. For dry curing they are all done by the weight of the meat trimmed, dried and ready to be cured.

3% total salt (salt + salt in the cure) that equals:

2.25% non iodized salt (kosher or canning is best)

0.5 to 1% sugar (i prefer sugar in the raw)

0.25% cure #1. Since the amount of nitrite in cure #1 is so small it is mixed with salt and dyed pink so it is easier to accurately measure. Cure number 1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt. This salt is also taken into account and added to the non-iodized salt to get to 3% total salt

So if you have a 1000g piece of meat

28g salt
5 to 10g of sugar (depending) on how sweet you want it
2.5g of cure number one.

Spices are in any amount you want as they are not part of the curing process they are only adding flavor.

The good news is there are mutiple online curing calculators that you type in the weight of the meat and it will let you know how much salt, sugar and cure to use.

FWIW I use a jewelers scale to measure the cure #1.

Wet curing is totally different and do not confuse or substitute Morton's Tender Quick for cure #1 or cure #2.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:06:17 AM by Perazzimx14 »

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride , Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here