Author Topic: Wearing Hi Viz  (Read 3133 times)

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
Wearing Hi Viz
« on: November 10, 2022, 07:25:55 AM »
Ok, after 4 or 5 years of trying to look good while riding my bikes....period correct stuff on the Royal Enfield 500 and such, I finally decided to buy a yellow hi viz air jacket this Spring. I wore it on every ride until perhaps a month ago, and NOT ONE VEHICLE PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF ME ALL YEAR! My V Strom is what I call "road color" at dark grey with a smoked Puig screen and regardless of the headlight being on people used to pull out all the time and I would have a heartrate raising moment. Not any more! Most of my riding is on the V7 III Special, in that taupe/grey color.....almost road colored.....but again, no issues with drivers. I have added a Revit HI Viz vest for cold weather riding and all is good. I do about 10 or 11K each year it seems, all backroads except when time interferes. Anyone else made the switch to yellow? Seems I am seeing a lot of riders wearing hi viz these days.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
Re: Wearing Hi Viz
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 07:44:53 AM »
..... Anyone else made the switch to yellow?

Yes, if you count yellow flip flops and plaid Bermuda shorts !  JK...
I did just purchase my Grand daughters first car, I got a sweet deal on a 2000 buick with only 58K miles, however it is "road color" one thing I didn't want..   
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 07:54:00 AM »
After a decade and a half in a Gray Darien Jacket I switched to a Yellow/Gray Klim.

I DO think I'm more visible.

But I distinctly remember being in the pines this past week when a moron in jacked pickup truck towing a landscaping trailer start to pull out in front of me from a stop sign on a more minor side road as I was literally about to pass him (moderate speed, no stop sign my way, etc).

So though I DO think it happens less, I remain constantly vigilant.

(PS between my safety yellow and my Police bike I do think a number of people get the hell out of my way sometimes).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 07:58:07 AM »
I have a Hi Viz Tourmaster jacket. Hi Viz wear can't hurt, but remember, people still get in crashes with fire trucks and freight trains all the time. Being aware of your surroundings is still the best route.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 07:58:07 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 08:16:38 AM »
Certainly can't hurt but wont always help. Don't let it give you a false sense of security. I got mowed down at a red light while on my cali 14 with a top box slathered with reflective tape and while wearing a white full face and a neon yellow vest. First one in line at the light , light turns green and I get plowed before I could even get rolling. Funny thing is, I made eye contact with the woman driver behind me in the left side mirror . She acknowledged that she knew I was in front of her but said she  looked up and saw a green light and floored it. I was lucky her huge ford Excursion didn't roll right over me and just shoved me over and up the road a bit. If I had been on a smaller bike it would have.  Wittiness on the other side of the intersection said they saw her looking down, likely texting but she wouldn't admit to it.  Be careful out there no matter what your wearing, assume nothing!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:10:12 PM by lucian »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 08:30:42 AM »
Agreed to about everything said here so far.

I used to where hi vid a lot. Road for many years, pretty consistently with a prominent safety yellow vest.   I got away from it about 18 years ago.  And this is just my personal experience, I haven’t noticed much difference in how other vehicles act around me.    Then as now, drivers occasionally pulled out in front of me and so on.   I feel that about 2/3 of the time the driver does see me, and just does it anyway, a FU mentality.   The other 1/3 they simply don’t, for various reasons all stemming from in-attentiveness. 
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 08:32:49 AM »
I'd insist that my lawyer files for her phone records.  That will prove if she was texting, or not.

To the point: I had Hamlin install Danali D2 (mini LED) on my V7 two years ago after 4 years without.  The difference in close calls was astounding.  So much so that we installed the same lights on the V85 I bought when the V7 got sold.  They can't hurt, but, like most, my "spider sense" is always on high alert when riding.  I'm also always aware of time of day.  People late for work, late getting back from lunch, if  the sun is behind me, etc.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 08:37:46 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 09:23:14 AM »
Because of my wife's nagging I got an inflatable vest. A friend of hers hit a deer at 70 mph, him not the deer. Because of the vest he only suffered a couple of broken ribs and a collar bone. He said he probably wouldn't have survived without it. I got a Helite in Hi Viz. I think it has made a bit of difference in being seen. It gives me a little more confidence. I don't feel safe at times in my smaller town, full of inattentive and aggressive drivers. I took a couple of longer trips this summer and didn't see anything like I have at home. I have mentioned it to the Highway Patrol but they seemed nonchalant. Off the highway speeding through parking lots while practicing tunnel vision is a biggie.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 09:30:48 AM »

White Helmet for 20 years.

Yellow Hi-Viz for a dozen years.

I think it helps, but always remain vigilant and proactive.

upload a picture
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 09:40:59 AM »
I'm on my 3rd Hi Vis jacket. Finally upgraded to a roadcrafter. It's the best fitting most user friendly designed jacket I've had. The Gerbings electric vest works perfectly underneath! 

And ALWAYS white helmet!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:07:03 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 10:13:07 AM »
The less fairing a bike has the more hi viz helps. I started wearing it because of base requirements many years ago.

It still only helps if people are paying attention. I still try to not be in the impact zone of left turners by varying my speed and weaving in my lane.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 10:17:42 AM »
I have seen a big difference when I wear my hi viz helmet, even compared to a white one. also, remember the human eye is designed to detect lateral motion, so move that head side to side.
Rick D.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 10:26:40 AM »
I switched to hi-vis 10 years ago.  I don't know how much it helps -- here in California, people tend to be pretty good about motorcycles already, so it's hard to tell the difference -- but I figure it has to be better than lo-vis.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 11:35:38 AM »
It’s also helpful in court when your lawyer points out what you were wearing when the other party tries to deny responsibility.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 11:37:30 AM »
Yes, if you count yellow flip flops and plaid Bermuda shorts !  JK...

:laugh: :grin: :laugh: :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 01:17:00 PM »
I’m a big believer in hi viz! Always.  And white helmet. Of course you still need your wits about you.  I see black bikes with black gear all the time at dust or dawn and the only want you know it’s a motorcycle is the tiny aftermarket red taillight they have disappearing in the dark.  I shake my head as they speed away
1994 California 1100

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 01:23:51 PM »
Since I started wearing this ice cream vendor’s jacket

People don’t look, they stare…(sometimes).
Maybe for all the wrong reasons, but I noticed that in critical decision making situations, the eye contact period lasted longer and you felt like your presence had registered.

Offline Solorider73

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 02:34:44 PM »
I say do what makes you feel comfortable.  Remember to be on the look out as people pull out in front of big trucks all the time.  I read a study some years ago on why people pull out in front of big trucks.  It explained the brain is looking for a car and categorizes the big truck differently.  I'm sure distraction from phones, kids and etc exaggerates this phenomenon.
Current Stable
2019 MG V7 lll Stone
2020 MG V85TT Adventure
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 04:05:56 PM »
I wear a white helmet. Drivers who approach stop signs in a hurry most always slam on breaks at the last minute and sometimes fasten their seat belts. You can probably figure out why.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2022, 08:13:31 AM »
We have our hi-viz gear, but I have to admit to wearing just a t-shirt now and then.

Offline Speciality

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 11:59:25 AM »
Given the number of road menders and loads of other wearers of yellow hi viz I feel that it is of limited use. I read a study about how the eye works some years ago - it was to do with fighter pilots IIRC. Whatever, the brain is looking to see what it expects to (cars); the best defence is to move position ie out when approaching a junction. This is more likely to attract a driver’s attention that yellow hi viz. Works for me, black gear but white helmet and no Dayglo Derek look…😉

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2022, 12:06:49 PM »
I feel much safer since I got my hi vis riding shoes  :laugh:

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2022, 02:14:30 PM »
I recently bought a new Tourmaster jacket and went back and forth on ordering the hi-vis version. I went ahead with black/grey but so make myself feel a little better I use a couple hi-vis arm bands that I switch between jackets.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2022, 03:22:47 PM »
Behavioral psychology may offer some perspective.  It’s difficult to be certain that riders wearing hi-viz do not behave in a different way because of their deliberate look-at-me wardrobe choices.  Many (most?) riders wearing non hi-viz gear never get hit by cars.  is that because of their behavior, the other drivers behavior, the chosen hi-viz/non hi-viz gear, ??.    Aside from the reflective gear worn after dark that is illuminated by headlights and makes persons more likely to be seen, regular hi-viz may or may not be part of a direct cause-effect relationship. 

Imho, if you ride like you’re going to get hit all the time, you’ll probably be more careful to help prevent it from happening.  So presenting yourself in a way that makes you be seen, no matter what you’re wearing, is the best overall strategy.   If hi-viz makes the rider more cognoscente of how he or she presents themself, that’s a good enough reason for wearing it.

I’ll even suggest that the most likely way to be noticed by the most drivers in daylight hours is to ride naked. Everybody will look, take pics, post it to the interweb and likely even make you a local celebrity that people try to notice when they’re driving.  Everybody here already owns their own naked free & clear, so it’s free- guzzi content…  But I hear eye bleach is pretty $$$ where you can find it.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2022, 09:10:05 AM »
Behavioral psychology may offer some perspective.  It’s difficult to be certain that riders wearing hi-viz do not behave in a different way because of their deliberate look-at-me wardrobe choices.  Many (most?) riders wearing non hi-viz gear never get hit by cars.  is that because of their behavior, the other drivers behavior, the chosen hi-viz/non hi-viz gear, ??.    Aside from the reflective gear worn after dark that is illuminated by headlights and makes persons more likely to be seen, regular hi-viz may or may not be part of a direct cause-effect relationship. 

Imho, if you ride like you’re going to get hit all the time, you’ll probably be more careful to help prevent it from happening.  So presenting yourself in a way that makes you be seen, no matter what you’re wearing, is the best overall strategy.   If hi-viz makes the rider more cognoscente of how he or she presents themself, that’s a good enough reason for wearing it.

I’ll even suggest that the most likely way to be noticed by the most drivers in daylight hours is to ride naked. Everybody will look, take pics, post it to the interweb and likely even make you a local celebrity that people try to notice when they’re driving.  Everybody here already owns their own naked free & clear, so it’s free- guzzi content…  But I hear eye bleach is pretty $$$ where you can find it.

Hopefully. Luap and the Moderators (sounds like a rock band comprised of over 60 year old musicians) will allow all the WG members (no pun intended) to post their naked selfies and we can rate everyone on visability (first time I typed that, it changed to disability).  Dues ex machina?

I couple years ago on a day that could not be any sunnier, I noticed a bicycle rider with a bright white strobe on his bike.  I estimated that I could see him immediately and clearly from 3/4 of a mile away. 
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2022, 09:16:36 AM »
European paint job so very fitting?

"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2022, 09:18:19 AM »
Since I started wearing this ice cream vendor’s jacket

People don’t look, they stare…(sometimes).
Maybe for all the wrong reasons, but I noticed that in critical decision making situations, the eye contact period lasted longer and you felt like your presence had registered.

Hmmmmm......

Body paint or tattoos....  could save a lot of time dressing and undressing.....

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2022, 09:22:18 AM »

Hmmmmm......

Body paint or tattoos....  could save a lot of time dressing and undressing.....
Nah, no tattoos for me SRE..
Can’t be bothered putting up with pricks…

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »
I don't have any hi viz, all my stuff is low viz black or dark grey but don't think hi viz is a bad idea so that folks who are paying some attention notice you.   
This last summer I had 5 instances where on-coming cagers made a left in front, in all instances there was no accident as a result but it did get me to thinking about a few things.  On all my bikes except the old Eldo, I ride with the headlight on.  I don't ride with the headlight on with the Eldo even though it has a high output alternator and headlight relays...don't ask me why...idk.  Anyway, since all 5 of my close encounters last Summer were on the Eldo, I figured it is time to ride it with the headlight on.  So, about 2 monthes ago I bought one of those relatively inexpensive jeep LED headlights and installed it in the Eldo and will hope for the best next riding season while riding with the new headlight on.
Back to hi viz, I'm not ready for a new jacket but my helmet shoulda probably been replaced a few years ago maybe I'll go with something a little more conspicuous than matte black.  I like the hi viz armband thing but is it for peace of mind and a false sense of security??  I  wonder if there are stats on motorcycle vs cager accidents where the rider was wearing hi viz?  For example, if in 100% of the mc vs. cager accidents where the cager was clearly at fault and the rider was not wearing hi viz, we might assume that wearing hi viz lowers the risk of a mc/cager accidents where the cager is at fault.
My luck is I'll be on the Wing wearing all the hi viz crap stopped at a traffic signal with my brake light on (of which there are several of on that bike) and get rear ended by an idiot playing with their tech or worse OVI.  I better stop talking about this before it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy :laugh:
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here