Author Topic: Road Coffee ???  (Read 1526 times)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
Road Coffee ???
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:43:20 AM »
Either I'm not good at finding good coffee, or I'm too picky - BUT
It seems that every time I'm on a road trip, it's hard to find a decent cup of coffee.

So, how many of you take coffee with you and if so, what ?

Gas station coffee ??? 

Something else ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:44:18 AM by kballowe »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Road Coffee ???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 08:56:55 AM »
I like a Caribou coffee dark chocolate mocha, like everyday. Those of you who don’t have Caribou have my sympathy. You can stop at Starbucks if you must but I’d just skip the brew if that was the only choice.      Flame on.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:59:22 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 09:08:53 AM »
Coffee at the cafeteria at a Panama City hospital was some of the best I’ve had. Brand is Hills Bros. Not sure if they are regional or national but worth looking for
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 09:12:50 AM »
A memorable cup of good coffee was a cup of instant, Let me explain. It was at the flood at the National in Money Creek, MN when there was no power and a camper offered me a cup of instant at 8 AM. WHAT? Normally I've drank a pot of coffee by 7 AM so I'm getting the shakes by not having my coffee so having a cup of instant in a styrofoam cup beat all the fancy coffee I've had thru out the world.

Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 09:12:50 AM »

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
The best coffee we drink is at our house. We have a coffee maker that grinds whole beans and immediately brews the coffee. We like Peerless brand coffee. Nice rich flavor. I also have small espresso coffee maker that goes with me on my motorcycle camping trips. It makes pretty good coffee also, especially while camping.
kk
https://gsioutdoors.com/miniespresso-set-1-cup.html
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 09:48:07 AM »
I just never found an instant coffee that worked for me - until now.

This appears to be a new offering from Nescafe, and it's pretty decent - and convenient.

There are several different versions of "Nescafe" and in my mind, this one is the best of the lot.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 09:49:45 AM by kballowe »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:50:08 AM »
Unfortunately, the people who make and sell it don't drink it anymore. Just the thought of Coke for a wake up drink repulses me. The crap served in the rooms at motels isn't fit to drink anymore either and the lobby stuff is just as bad. I'm seriously thinking of dragging a Kuerig machine with when I travel.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 09:53:25 AM »
Unfortunately, the people who make and sell it don't drink it anymore. Just the thought of Coke for a wake up drink repulses me. The crap served in the rooms at motels isn't fit to drink anymore either and the lobby stuff is just as bad. I'm seriously thinking of dragging a Kuerig machine with when I travel.

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »

I don't like instant at all, but this is a different beast. Instant, but not instant.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 10:14:16 AM »
If you could combine Starbucks water ( all Starbucks use water from reverse osmosis filters) with Caribou coffee it would be ideal, Caribou doesn’t go that far with cleaning their water. Unfortunately Starbucks and most chains use city roast coffee which really burns the beans. One of my friends roasts his beans and gets beans from around the world, he is meticulous ( perhaps anal retentive) about controlling his roasts. But he always makes an exceptional coffee. He’s also a BMW rider, and carries a small French roast device powered by a butane torch, takes about 5 min to make a couple cups of excellent coffee often in city park or wayside rest enjoying views only found on old two lane hi-ways. We travel those same roads mostly, but when passing thru those small towns, we look for the local coffee shops, which can be found and often also have great cookies or pastries to sample. We used to do 400-600 miles a day easy, now traveling this way 2-300 miles a day are typical, but we arrive less stressed out from pushing to get miles on. Reminding me of the old saying, on a motorcycle it’s the journey not the destination. But to each his own.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 10:17:29 AM »
I carry a pocket rocket butane stove with a packable GSI cook pot and my favorite Maxwell house hazelnut coffee with Melitta no4 filters and a little collapsible funnel built for the purpose. I will stop and make coffee at the drop of a hat or pretty scenic view anytime of day. I make coffee in motel rooms as well, have yet to set off an alarm. My outfit:

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/canister-stoves/pocketrocket-deluxe-stove/10955.html

https://gsioutdoors.com/pinnacle-soloist-ii-one-person-cookset.html

https://shoponline.melitta.com/collections/filters/products/4-cone-filter-paper-natural-brown-100-count

https://gsioutdoors.com/collapsible-javadrip-blue.html

I also carry a flat piece of aluminum plate and a little leg spreader system for the butane can to provide stability on uneven surfaces and a hinged shield to keed wind off the stove. The whole rig, including coffee in a ziplock bag, fits in a small mesh bag in the top case or side case.

Brian

Edited for accuracy. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:28:46 AM by bmc5733946 »
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 10:41:15 AM »
By the way I am a proud coffee luddite! What most consider good coffee I find to be over roasted crap not fit to be consumed by man nor beast, Starbucks being the worst of the lot. McDonald's is almost drinkable and will do mixed americano style, half coffee half hot water or some ratio there abouts. I'll stick to my Maxwell House thank you.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 11:03:26 AM »
I bring it with on short trips in a decent thermos. Peets coffee is what we generally use. I make travel coffee about stout enough to float a small hammer. On longer trips I have a camping espresso maker but rarely take the time unless I’m stopping for a few hours. Tex puts it in perspective.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
All depends on my mood. Dunkin Donuts is my long time go to, and I can't stand Starbucks. Also enjoy Peets and Caribou. I have a small stainless French press that makes 4 mugs, and last year bought one of these. I also have a stainless french press travel mug that has a screw on top. I'll throw that in my tank bag. For instant, the Nescafe Gold instant is fabulous.

When traveling, I always try to seek out local indie coffee shops.

These little espresso pots are super easy to use. Fill with coffee and water, put over the heat, wait to hear it boil and take off heat. Pour and enjoy......

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 11:22:36 AM »
  Pity , so many don't live on the west coast . Every time I attend any of the gatherings out here ( Washington,Oregon), I stop
at pretty well every road side coffee hut and have been thrilled silly with the fix I've gotten . One in Idaho was noteworthy , in
that I got my usual double espresso for 75 cents  :bow: ! And that's one of the many reasons I love visiting the US . No matter
how tired I am when I arrive , I'm really awake !  Peter

Offline Jack Straw

• Hatchling
  • Laugh More, Live Longer
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2022, 11:26:02 AM »
I was an overbearing coffee snob back in the 80's.  I got over myself.  :kiss:

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »
When I travel I seek out local coffee shops. A regional chain is OK as long as it's not a national chain. One large black coffee. If it's too bitter nothing a dash of salt and or some cream can't fix. Can't think I've ever gone wrong with this approach.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 11:44:55 AM »
Depends on where I am; in most of west Texas I drink "Western Gold" roasted i San Angelo; in east Texas I usually can find Community dark roast and McDonalds is usually drinkable and I can get buy on most cafe coffee as well???
Order WG online as well as Deidricht. I also like HEB's low acid ground coffee and Maxwell House. as well as about anything that is the only choice!!!!!!

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 11:50:26 AM »
Great an aeropress, good ground coffee and a kettle.  Don’t forget your favorite mug too. Super simple and good, plus you can geek out on multiple techniques if you want

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »
A memorable cup of good coffee was a cup of instant, Let me explain. It was at the flood at the National in Money Creek, MN when there was no power and a camper offered me a cup of instant at 8 AM. WHAT? Normally I've drank a pot of coffee by 7 AM so I'm getting the shakes by not having my coffee so having a cup of instant in a styrofoam cup beat all the fancy coffee I've had thru out the world.

Tex

Yeah, those folks were great!  I won't forget the coffee or the campfire they got going so we could get warm and dry some of our clothing.  What an adventure that turned out to be, we were on the other side of the swimming pool, had to teardown the fence to wade through the campground office to get out to the road at 2am, spent the rest of the night on someones covered porch with a half dozen other soaking wet guzzistas.

Anyway, back to coffee.  I aint fussy, instant in some jet boiled water is fine with me after crawling out of my tent in the a.m.  At home, it's drip Maxwell House , folgers, etc. or sometimes Kcup crap. Locally we have Macs, Duncan D, S Bucks & a few indie shops that riding buds & I might meet up at for caffeine & chat.   There's this one notable place about 40 miles down the road that has great tasting coffee but gets the bowels roaring 20 minutes afterward, anymore I'll eat the chow there but steer clear of the coffee.

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2022, 12:19:20 PM »
Whatever they serve with breakfast is ok,food is the priority for me.

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 12:36:14 PM »
On my 10k mile loop of the country, I made a study of coffee; my observation of MO/OK/KS was "There is no coffee here".

Best to hope for is Starbucks unless you have some local independent who cares.  :coffee:
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2022, 01:35:06 PM »
At home I always use a drip cone/filter and freshly ground Cameron’s Hawaiian (from Wisconsin). It’s best in ceramic cup.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 01:53:18 PM »
I just drink the coffee.   If it’s really good, we remember it.  If it’s really bad, we remember it.   As mentioned, sometimes the worst stuff makes the best memories.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 02:47:39 PM »
Starbucks have instant coffee in individual servings
Along with a good slug of Baileys Irish cream it makes a good coffee.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 07:24:29 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2022, 02:57:26 PM »
It can be the worst rot gut in the world, if I’m away on the bike it always goes down ok.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2022, 03:58:37 PM »
I thought I was the only one that that didn't care for Starbucks coffee. Always tasted kind of burnt to me. My wife likes it though. As a follow up on my espresso maker, I don't put a lot of grounds in it just enough to make a reasonably potent cup of coffee. Even when I go to a rally where there coffee supplied I still make my own. I use one of those small butane burners. It takes fewer than five minutes to make a good cup of coffee.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Bigtime

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2022, 04:08:38 PM »
  When camping on our bike trips, I carry a jet boil and Black Rifle coffee in the little tea bags. At home it's Folgers Black Silk or Black Rifle black. Straight up, just coffee please.😋

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2022, 04:17:18 PM »
I've heard good things about Black Rifle coffee but have never tried it. Wasn't the company started by veterans? I thought I had heard that.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2022, 04:22:14 PM »
I was an overbearing coffee snob back in the 80's.  I got over myself.  :kiss:

:laugh: :laugh:

You are a rare bird among the wild goose flock!!!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here