Author Topic: So I bought another Lario  (Read 926 times)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
So I bought another Lario
« on: November 22, 2022, 07:31:33 PM »
Ran when parked, never been apart or blown up, 75k km (47 k miles)

Cheap enough, didn’t care if someone had had a go before this bloke bought it as long as it wasn’t another badly repaired blown up rh head.

Was true, orig valve springs, can barely get 010” between coils
Anyone want to bet on cam & followers condition ?
Be a few weeks till I can get it on bench apart but don’t hold your breath, will be same as all the others but caught in time.

Also has the pointy indicators some love, I don’t

I didn’t know
1/ Lucas supplied 2 types of starter, this one smaller than others I have

2/ Guzzi were ready for timing chest mount in 87, finally done in 2019 for v85 but look at similarity to Aero cover which did, of course, use them. They’ll be used on this, eventually

Not sure where this bike sits in the priority list, saving the engine from halfwit mods was main reason for buying and I’ve bothered to fix one, I might as well do another, it is a lovely engine, far ahead of it’s time.

The plastic fantastic bodywork does no more for me now than it did in the 80’s so very unlikely I use any of that, will probably sell it and the dash to try and recuperate some of outlay, I’ll list it on here but possibly freight too dear for internationals, any Aussies want it, pm me.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:34:11 PM by jacksonracingcomau »

Offline Cal3

• Hatchling
Re: So I bought another Lario
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
Cool project......have fun!!!

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 05:47:42 AM »
nice project , with the unobtainable indicators.
the original engine of my lario also managed 75.000 km before dropping a valve, nice you got it before the inevitable happened.
the timing chest mount is nice , i have seen specials where they used the timing chest mount , and completely removed the downtubes.
shows off the engine and gives a nice clean result.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 08:58:32 AM »
Chuck in Indiana is looking for a chin fairing, but yeah the shipping might put it out of range $$$
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 08:58:32 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 03:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the bump, Chad.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 03:31:53 AM »
Chuck in Indiana is looking for a chin fairing, but yeah the shipping might put it out of range $$$
That’s about the only thing missing , probably rare for any of those low fairing things to survive here, we have potholes and sleeping policemen to break them, let alone the fact we’re allowed (encouraged?) to park on footpaths, nice big bluestone kerbs in Melbourne eat them for breakfast.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 03:33:47 AM »
the original engine of my lario also managed 75.000 km before dropping a valve, nice you got it before the inevitable happened.
the timing chest mount is nice , i have seen specials where they used the timing chest mount , and completely removed the downtubes.
shows off the engine and gives a nice clean result.
Any pics ? Not so much front timing chest mounts but footrests, levers etc, keeping it all neat and not fragile without lower rail is harder on SB than BB.
In fact, I don’t think I’d ever seen a timing chest mounted SB until V85 came along, nor even noticed that late Lario covers had the lugs there.

I’m getting some ideas for chassis on this next 8v 650 project, 6 speed box, drive shaft / swinging arm from v85, 6” travel back and front, the lightweight all roads bike I’d hoped the v85 would be, I am , of course, unrestricted by euro 5 , ABS, TC, modes etc
Aiming at sub 400 lbs full of fuel and ready to go, no nonsense like the Lario Forth Bridge holding rear seat off the frame etc, this one will be as basic as my mk1  8v, just a bit more travel and gearing, late drive shaft solves lots of issues too.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 05:10:52 AM »

Does anyone really want them? And pay over the odds ? What’s record price ?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 06:50:45 AM »
Does anyone really want them? And pay over the odds ? What’s record price ?
I saw a pair on ebay a few years ago for $140. I didn't bite.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 04:10:44 AM »
A stupid hot day here but I got a chance to take it apart, cam looks the same as last two I’ve seen, completely and utterly Donald Ducked.
The PO deserves a medal for not actually breaking it into pieces and therefore giving me the opportunity to see exactly how they left Mandello
Please anyone,do not try to “fix” a Lario without measuring Mr Camshaft.. He is, without doubt, the first casualty of the war,

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here