General Category > General Discussion

V85TT traction control randomly kicking in

(1/3) > >>

Rainrider:
I'm trying to troubleshoot a thing that's cropped up in the last month. The bike is a 2019 V85TT Adventure. I ride almost exclusively in Pioggia (rain) mode, because I live in the Pacific Northwest and I like to set it and forget it, unless I'm going off pavement.

Anyway, the last three times I've been out, I've had the traction control kick in at unexpected times. I don't generally ride in a way that's going to lift a tire off the pavement, and these episodes have typically happened in the 50-60mph range, going in a straight line, accelerating moderately uphill more often than not. A couple of times the pavement was a little rough but nothing to write home about, and certainly nothing that's caused MGTC to kick in previously. Concurrently, I noticed that at some point the clock had reset itself to 00:00, which makes me worry about some intermittent electrical fault upstream of the traction control.

The last time it happened, earlier today, I had decided to put the bike in Strada (street) mode while in motion. About 30 seconds later, traction control kicked in and seemed to cut the engine completely. I engaged the clutch, and coasted a bit before trying the throttle again. It worked, but the bike's display couldn't show speed or what gear I was in until I came to a stop.

My gut feeling—based on the intermittentness of the issue—is that I either shook loose a connection or damaged a sensor when I dropped my bike last March. It's odd that it's only turning up now though, since I've put a few thousand miles on since the accident.

One question I have: does the traction control system use the same pair of sensors as the ABS?

Huzo:
Have you done an on board recalibration?
That is to ensure that the brain knows the limits to which the wheels can rotate at different rates. It expects a differential because of the differing circumferences, but if it goes outside defined limits, it will see it as a wheel spin condition.

Rainrider:
Sorry, yeah, forgot to mention that I did the recalibration this morning before heading out.

Huzo:

--- Quote from: Rainrider on November 24, 2023, 06:29:26 PM ---Sorry, yeah, forgot to mention that I did the recalibration this morning before heading out.

--- End quote ---
Try cleaning the sensors on the tone wheel, if the signals become interrupted, it could be seen as reduction or increase in expected rotation rates.

Rainrider:

--- Quote from: Huzo on November 24, 2023, 06:34:15 PM ---Try cleaning the sensors on the tone wheel, if the signals become interrupted, it could be seen as reduction or increase in expected rotation rates.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'll try that next. I confirmed that they were each about .75mm from the wheel, which seems to be in a good spot. Sensor cable connections were the next thing I was going to check, but I haven't traced them back to wherever they plug in yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version