Author Topic: V7 E5 850 rear shocks  (Read 306 times)

Offline zZavarivach

• New Egg
V7 E5 850 rear shocks
« on: May 06, 2024, 02:50:35 PM »
Hey guys,

After a couple of hundred ridden KM's (450 on the clock) I noticed the rear hub was greasy-oily.
I instantly thought it was the rear hub seal or it was overfilled.
But after cleaning everything up and riding again, it is unfortunately the rear shock that is leaking!!! This is why the hub was mysteriously dirty on the top.

The bike is out of warranty. The rear chock is 380€ new here (Serbia, outside EU).

Now hear me out, this is where I need advice:

1) First option, buy from eBay some used set - from 130-200€ a pair for the 2021+     - I'm guessing this is from damaged bikes or ppl who upgraded the stock rear suspension.
2) Now the second ''option'' is where I need advice. There is a guy here locally selling a V85TT rear shock since he upgraded to something else, yes the V85TT has only one but as I read online on the documents avaliable it should be the same lenght or 10mm difference. If I buy this one and one other, from ebay ( I have to buy something anyway) would this be : a - doable , b - 2in1 upgrade move? 3 - too stiff?!?!

I'm sorry if its a dumb question. I don't know shock mater, so was just thinking about as a 2 in 1 move (replace+upgrade) since I have to get it sorted anyway, and the stock shocks are pretty basic like we all know that much.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 02:59:13 PM by zZavarivach »

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
Re: V7 E5 850 rear shocks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 04:22:51 PM »
Sorry to hear your problem. My 2021 850 Special with 800 miles leaked oil and I had it replaced under warranty. You should let Guzzi know that this is an issue with the KYB shock.KYB is an excellent company and should be willing to make things right.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 04:45:09 PM »
If I understand correctly, the TT uses a mono shock and yours uses 2 shocks. The mono shock will be too heavy for your bike.

No opinion on what to replace your shocks with except that Ikon are decent shocks and normally a decent price.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline JStorm

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 05:05:22 PM »
I agree that using a pair of v85tt rear shocks will be incredibly stiff, in both spring rate and damping. Using a single shock might work but I have a feeling it won't be right.

Have to consider bike weight, amount of wheel travel, wheel rate, angle of mounting, etc...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 05:06:24 PM by JStorm »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 05:05:22 PM »

Offline zZavarivach

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 05:20:47 PM »
If I understand correctly, the TT uses a mono shock and yours uses 2 shocks. The mono shock will be too heavy for your bike.

No opinion on what to replace your shocks with except that Ikon are decent shocks and normally a decent price.

Tom

Thanks, that's the kind of opinion I was looking to get back on this subject. I was thinking of optimizing my choice but I guess you are right about the heavy part, IDK.

Regards

Offline bronzestar1

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 08:49:26 PM »
Thinking outside the box here, if your shocks are like the ones on my '23 Special Edition, you might be able to get a set of Harley air shocks to work.  There s/b numerous listings on eBay.  You'll need to determine the length of your shocks, and find something close to that length.  I've used these air shocks on several bikes that I've had, and usually ended up ditching the airlines and installing a Shrader valve on each shock.  From what I remember, I had to get longer mounting bolts, because the mounts were a little wider than stock.  A good hand pump is all you need to air them up, do NOT use compressed air, unless you set the max output to something like 20 psi.  For solo riding, I usually had them set at no more than 5 psi (I weigh 215 lbs).  With a passenger, I'd increase it to maybe 10-12 psi.  Here are some pics for reference, this is a Sportster I used to have:

Stock shocks:

upload images

Big twin air shocks:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 08:56:07 PM by bronzestar1 »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 09:22:08 AM »
If they won't stand behind it contact "Shock factory" I believe in France and get a set custom made for you. Most likely the same or less money as stock. Tons better in every way!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 07:41:42 AM »
I too was not happy with Oem shocks , Roger @ ICON was very patient working wit me to get the spring rates spot on with the shocks I purchased. It took several attempts to get them “just right”but he worked with me to get things dang near perfect ! I was pleasantly surprised at his attention to detail . A good experience all around . I’ve now got ICON shocks on both of my small blocks

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here