Author Topic: V7c new noise  (Read 8373 times)

Offline Richard Tasmania

• New Egg
  • Tasmania, Australia
V7c new noise
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:57:43 PM »
I have just experienced a new noise coming from my V7c. After a long ride I clicked into neutral and parked. There was a sound like nuts and bolts in a tin can. It stopped when I pulled in the clutch lever but returned when I released the lever. Now the bike is cold it is not making the noise.
Any ideas? How worried should I be?
V50III gone but not forgotton
V7C 2012
California Vintage 2007
V50 Monza 1984
V7 Special 2022

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: V7c new noise
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:26:41 AM »
Dry clutches rattle.  You know it's the clutch plates, since the sound changes when you pull the clutch lever in and let it out.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 12:38:46 AM »
Richard, it's clear from your post about your Cali that you now distrust your Guzzis so why not sell them and save yourself the heartache?

Pete

Offline Richard Tasmania

• New Egg
  • Tasmania, Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:58:52 AM »
Peter, it is posts like yours that make me uncomfortable to ask questions on this forum. My mother said "if You've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

All I want from this forum is friendly advice.

Thanks to all of you who help, especially the private mails.

thanks Rocker, but what do you mean by dry clutch rattles. I assume it is a wet clutch. I changed all the oils 200 km ago using specified grades and levels are correct. The noise has not been so noticeable before. It appears to get louder as the oil gets warmer.

I bought this bike new and have done 21,000 km on it. It is fantastic. Almost as good as the V50iii I owned. Iwont sell it. I'll learn more about it and deal with the problems as they arise.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:16:14 AM by Richard Tasmania »
V7C 2012
California Vintage 2007
V50 Monza 1984
V7 Special 2022

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:58:52 AM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 03:14:16 AM »
Peter, it is posts like yours that make me uncomfortable to ask questions on this forum. My mother said "if You've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

All I want from this forum is friendly advice.

Thanks to all of you who help, especially the private mails.

thanks Rocker, but what do you mean by dry clutch rattles. I assume it is a wet clutch. I changed all the oils 200 km ago using specified grades and levels are correct. The noise has not been so noticeable before. It appears to get louder as the oil gets warmer.

Excuse me? Did I say "You are an idiot."? No, I simply stated that you, in your posts regarding your Guzzi's, have expressed dis-satisfaction and worry and as such you will probably never feel happy or *Safe* with ownership.

If that is the case? Surely my advice, given in good faith, makes perfect sense.

If you want to carry on like a pork chop and suggest that somehow your worries are the result of my 'Victimisation' of you? Be my guest! But it's frogshit.

Pete

Offline Richard Tasmania

• New Egg
  • Tasmania, Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 03:18:15 AM »
Thanks Peter, what do you think is causing the clutch noise?
V7C 2012
California Vintage 2007
V50 Monza 1984
V7 Special 2022

Vasco DG

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 03:25:57 AM »
I don't think you have a 'Clutch noise'. As a wild guess from many km away I would think the most likely cause is a rocking couple caused by out of balance throttle bodies or, if you bike is a single TB model, a fueling discrepancy due to the inaccuracies of the narrow band O2 sensors and their interpretation by the MUI3G throttle body. My money is on it being a twin TB model and a throttle imbalance.

Needless to say if someone on the spot finds my diagnosis is wrong endless gloating can be indulged in.

Pete

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 03:46:43 AM »
I have just experienced a new noise coming from my V7c. After a long ride I clicked into neutral and parked. There was a sound like nuts and bolts in a tin can. It stopped when I pulled in the clutch lever but returned when I released the lever. Now the bike is cold it is not making the noise.
Any ideas? How worried should I be?

Can I suggest that you upload a YouTube video of the "nuts and bolt in a tin can" sound and provide us a link for us to hear?

Heck, I've done it before trying to figure out why my Cali sounds like a goat at idle -Still a mystery
Sounds are a grey area!

Btw, you don't have a wet clutch

Offline Richard Tasmania

• New Egg
  • Tasmania, Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 04:22:47 AM »
Thanks Steph, I thought it was dry, like my old R90/6 but anyway. Thanks. I suppose it's nothing to worry about, just that it seemed to begin all of a sudden I had not noticed it before and now it is quite distinct.
Thanks anyway.
V7C 2012
California Vintage 2007
V50 Monza 1984
V7 Special 2022

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 07:41:06 AM »
Pretty sure it's a dry clutch.  That said, if my V7 Stone made a sound like nuts and bolts in a tin can, i'd be worried, very worried.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
Pretty sure it's a dry clutch.  That said, if my V7 Stone made a sound like nuts and bolts in a tin can, i'd be worried, very worried.

I agree that's likely the dry clutch,  and is no problem. Find a Ducati buff and have him listen. He should be familiar with the sound.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »
But this sound happens when he releases the lever.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »
But this sound happens when he releases the lever.

As I read it, the sound is when it's in neutral.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
I may have a similar sound to that. I believe one of inner wall header pipes has come a little loose (at the silencer end), and it only rattles at certain RPMs. I need to take off the silencer to verify once it warms up here.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

kidneb

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »
rossw wrote in this tread; http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=61041.0 

:

"Small blocks having only a single clutch plate shouldn't rattle much with the clutch in , but will sometimes rattle in neutral with the clutch out due to the shaft speed variations in the gearbox  (it's a V-Twin remember) causing all the free spinning gears to flap back and forth. It gets worse if the throttle bodies need balancing."

That`s about what Vasco DG said earlier in this thread.

BTW, -I didn`t realize that the V7 had a single plate diaphragm clutch. Does the diaphragm spring look something like the one in the RAM clutch ?

This diaphragm unit produced a terrible rattling noise with the clutch out when I ran it in my LM3-  disappeared when you pulled the lever.
Turned out that the pressed riveted aluminum piece was loose in the steel diaphragm spring plate. It was a very loud and annoying rattle.
I can live with the dry dual plate clutch rattle when you pull the lever, but with the lever out it`s not what you want, and people look at you in a funny way when you sit on your bike with the motor idling.
Such a silly little piece of Italian mockery can ruin the pleasure of riding. I finally made it shut up though, by applying some heat resistant silicone the right places.

So gentlemen,- I allow myself to remove my latest useless rant, and replace it with this brand new one !   :)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 05:31:56 AM »
Everyone has missed the obvious reason for the additional noise, Richard is from Tasmania, and therefore has twice as many ears as mainlanders:)
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
I'd put money on a bolt that has loosened out a bit and it's rattling against the bike (look at the side stand bolt rattling against the exhaust).  It stops rattling when you pull the clutch lever b/c the bike 'calms down'.  Check that before major issues.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here