Author Topic: Help with wobble please  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
Help with wobble please
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:14:19 AM »
I have been experiencing a pulse in the front brake on my 04 Breva 750, 7500 miles. Also, if I let go of the bars at 45 mph or above the fronts starts an increasing wobble that would eventually turn into a death wobble. Stops as soon as I grab the bars.
Bought the bike with 2k miles and the pulse in the brakes has been there since day 1. Wobble maybe. 
I don’t find any significant runout in the front wheel or rotor.
Wher would be a good place to start looking. Steering head bearings?
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline Rebochi

• Hatchling
Re: Help with wobble please
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:53 AM »
    What condition is the front tire?
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »
I have a 2004 Breva 750 with 56,000 miles on it.  I have had 20 other bikes beginning with a 1953 Cushman eagle.

Many of these bikes, including my Breva, have developed a front end wobble.

On every bike, every time, a new front tire fixed the problem.  Try it on your Breva.

I have always used these tires on my Breva, which I always replaced in pairs (even though the front was only half-worn). I am now rolling on my 8th pair:
F: 110/70-17 Pirelli Sport Demon = 110mm (4.3") Wide x  77mm (3.0") Tall
R: 130/80-17 Pirelli Sport Demon = 130mm (5.1") Wide x 104mm (4.1") Tall
"Guzzi recommends 36/36 psi for the Sport Demon"

The above tire specs came from the on-line Guzzi 750 fyi file which I curate.  There you will find other useful info:

http://www.dansher.com/bikepix/Guzzi/_V7_fyi.txt

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:33:07 AM »
Not as "Geezer" at 53 years of riding but I would echo all he provided...  I would add that I've tried running a bit higher pressure and that seemed to keep the wobble from starting in many cases.  Tire replacement always worked for me, too.
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:33:07 AM »

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
As far as the brakes, some pads can leave deposits on the rotor which result in a high spot.
Perhaps a change of brake pads could help. 1200 Sports were notorious for this, changing to the EBC HH series pads was the ticket.

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
As for the pulse in your front brake:

Put the bike securely upright and get the front wheel off the ground so it can spin freely.

Carefully rotate the front wheel whilst "shaking" the front rotor firmly with both hands.  Repeat for six or so rotations.

The purpose of this manoever is to restore the rotor so that it again "floats" freely (very small amount of free play) on the little golden barrels that position the rotor to the front wheel hub. The is design functionality.

Sometime the rotor siezes onto the wheel (no free play) which can resut in pulsing on the front brake lever.

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
Had a wobble at lower speed than you with my 03 Cal Alum.  New front tire took care of it.
Ya don't have to believe everything ya think!

Ride All Day,Play All Night!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
 Tighten your steering head bearings a schoosh. With the bike on the center stand, put weight on the rear to lift the front wheel off the deck.  The steering should not flop to either side.  It should slowly turn to one side or the other with a touch to get it off center.  If it flops quickly to the side, the bearings are too loose and you are at risk of a tank slapper.  Very bad thing, it can wreck your bike and even kill you.  Tighten a little at a time until the steering does not flop to the side.  If you are running a sidecar this is especially critical and you should also have a steering damper.
 I adjust mine to no flop and I can take my hand off the bars at cruising speed. Then I install the steering damper for insurance. 
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
Tighten your steering head bearings a schoosh. With the bike on the center stand, put weight on the rear to lift the front wheel off the deck.  The steering should not flop to either side.  It should slowly turn to one side or the other with a touch to get it off center.  If it flops quickly to the side, the bearings are too loose and you are at risk of a tank slapper.  Very bad thing, it can wreck your bike and even kill you.  Tighten a little at a time until the steering does not flop to the side.  If you are running a sidecar this is especially critical and you should also have a steering damper.
 I adjust mine to no flop and I can take my hand off the bars at cruising speed. Then I install the steering damper for insurance.

Exactly. Your steering head bearings should be preloaded, but just enough to stop the fork from flopping to the stop by gravity. It's amazing what even the smallest amount of slack in the bearings can cause.

On the other note, some motorcycles are very particular about what tires they like, or don't like. It doesn't have to make any sense, but anything other than the factory shoes is a possible no-go. If the rear tire is not the factory tire, and a new front and bearing adjust doesn't make it go away, change the rear to a different tire and see if that fixes it. Unfortunately there is no inexpensive way to discover the root of a mystery wobble.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 04:32:15 PM »
 :1: on the front tire.  Put your air pressure up to near max on the sidewall.  Adjust steering neck bearings.  Check and adjust swingarm bearings.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
    What condition is the front tire?

Good. 3000 miles, no cupping
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
The bike obviously sat more than ridden the first 12 years of it’s life so the rotor suggestion may be the fix. I’ll check ALL the suggestions made.
I replaced the tires as soon as I got it with OE spec sport demons.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 08:00:02 PM »
Just had a similar problem with my LeMans. Front tyre looked good but had waves in it. Run your hand along the tyre and check.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 08:17:52 PM »
Steering head bearings need a regrease anyway, inspect for notches, if all good regrease and adjust. If notched, even slighly, replace bearings.
Grease is 14 years old if there was much in first place.
I do it every other front tyre, haven’t bought new bearings for at least 15 tyres.
Ditto the swinging arm bearings, just maintenance

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
Small lock 750’s rarely have any grease in their steering head bearings. At this point they’re almost certainly cactus. This may not be the sole cause of your problem but it’s likely a contributor.

Pete

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 06:24:28 AM »
Thanks again all!
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
I had a 2011 Breva and I had the same problem. Pete (Roper) replaced the bearings form and the problem went away.
Wyno

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
  M0T0Geezer
Guzzi Mentor

I have always used these tires on my Breva, which I always replaced in pairs (even though the front was only half-worn). I am now rolling on my 8th pair:
F: 110/70-17 Pirelli Sport Demon = 110mm (4.3") Wide x  77mm (3.0") Tall
R: 130/80-17 Pirelli Sport Demon = 130mm (5.1") Wide x 104mm (4.1") Tall
"Guzzi recommends 36/36 psi for the Sport Demon" 

Mine came with these tires and the rear lasted almost 4,000 miles before it was "Way -Way down into the wear bars".   The 90 series I replaced it with made the speedometer and the GPS agree to what speed we are going !  :wink:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:18:56 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »
After trying some of these obvious fixes and you still have an issue, maybe try a fork brace. Back in the early to mid 80s my PD used 900 Honda customs for police MC. We equipped them with Vetter fairing and bags. We had the same issue when hands were remain from the bars, all the other possible issues were attended to by the Honda dealership. It came down to placing a FORK BRACE on the bikes which fixed the problem. However we were instructed to keep at least one hand on the bars at all times....:)

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 01:37:37 PM »
My Mille hasn't wobbled yet, but I've been interested in a fork brace.  I know how one helped my BSA while I was road racing.

Does anyone know of one that fits?  I'm not opposed to an old or used one.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 02:54:02 AM »
Small lock 750�s rarely have any grease in their steering head bearings. At this point they�re almost certainly cactus. This may not be the sole cause of your problem but it�s likely a contributor.

Pete

Mine had bugger all grease in them.  Fortunatelycaught it in time. They had also come loose. Greasing and tightening made quite a difference to how the bike felt in the corners.

Mine has never shaken the head like that. I have always had a Sport Demon an the front so I don't think it is the brand of tire. I am wondering if it is the balance of the tire.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 06:24:29 PM »
The brand of tire has less of an influence than lower air pressure.  For bias-ply tires lower air pressure means more flex in the sidewalls.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here