Author Topic: NGC-winch woes, ya get what ya pay for  (Read 687 times)

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
NGC-winch woes, ya get what ya pay for
« on: July 21, 2019, 06:04:38 PM »
Last July 4th, when most people were barbecuing and drinking beer, I decided to cut down a tree that was dead, and had to come down before we put the split-rail fence around that section of yard. I felled it, but it hung up in an adjacent big tree:

So the idea was to yank it sideways with my newly-installed Smittybilt XRC 9500 winch bought off of Ebay for the lowest price I could find, and drag it up the hill. I had to surgically chain-saw away the remaining fibers still holding the felled tree to it's stump, an exercise in NOT binding the blade in the shifting tree. Nothing is ever easy.

But success! I was able to do it, and dragged the tree up the hill with the winch until....

I heard a BANG. Winch kept pulling, but I figured I may have sheared a bolt somewhere in the system, and I was right. The bolt that attaches the winch cable to the wall of the winch drum sheared off. If you look closely, you can see it clearly:

A brand-new winch, and NO WAY, under any normal operation, should that bolt be subject to shearing, especially when way less than half the reel was out. There should have been no shearing load on that bolt, and I eyeballed it, and the tensioned cable could not have run over it to apply that shear.

As a side note, the screws that came with the winch to attach the solenoid box to the top rails were cheezy dime-store aluminum, which I replaced with proper steel screws. I have a suspicion that the cable-anchor bolt that sheared was of similar cost-cutting strength.

Just learned thru the ebay seller that Smittybilt is sending me a new bolt, with the assumption that I dis-mantle the winch myself, remove the remaining shard of bolt in the drum (without damaging the hole, of course, they can assume no liability for user-damage), and re-assemble it.

So of course I'm going to Smittybilt directly and raise holy hell to get a full refund on the winch and send it back to them, but this all could've been avoided if I wasn't such a tightwad...HEY! Guzzi content!

'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC-winch woes, ya get what ya pay for
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
you asked way too much of it!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 07:08:04 PM »
Did you notch the tree so it would fall the way you wanted?

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »
Tree had a decided lean to it, in my experience with cases like that notching against the way a leaning tree WANTS to fall causes problems. I notched it slightly off it's natural fall direction, but I knew I couldn't make it fall where it NEEDED to fall.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »
Shoulda bought from Harbor Freight!! ;-)
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here