Author Topic: Uh-Oh, Lario  (Read 8281 times)

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Uh-Oh, Lario
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2021, 07:14:56 AM »
Factory engines survived Dakar, one bike burnt, another is still running here, I know the owner

moto guzzi entered 4 bikes in the 1986 dakar, none of them made it to the finish.
indeed one burned down
that was the end of guzzi's interest in the Dakar...
I tracked down one of the mechanics a couple of years later, when preparing my V65 TT for off road competition.
the term UJ failure was the best they could do to to explain the early DNF without making a fool of themselves. 
but was not the complete story.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2021, 08:09:39 AM »
Far from the complete story on the V65 Baja...As far as I know no official entries were made by Guzzi in the Dakar...the 4 Huub refers to were sponsored by the French importer I think. They then saw that the comp department at mandello were getting the Baja together and asked for some to be made to offer to their clientele in France. I know of at least two of these bikes and apart from big chassis mods the engines are pretty stock 2 valve  v 65's. Some like the Australian one were fitted with 4 valve Lario heads , Another variant was entered and won it's class in the French Super Motard championships for a couple  of years. All these bikes were privately entered . The biggest issue with the TT and NTX Guzzis in small block form is the fragility of the swinging arm and UJ combo which is one reason the BAja 's used a big block swinging arm and rear drive. The story goes a lot further into big block territory as Torri who competed in many long distance enduro races developed several big block racers after using baja's ...sadly he didn't receive much help from Guzzi and didn't have much success either and gave up racing , moved to Ethiopia and remained in obscurity until
 a few years ago.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2021, 09:41:02 AM »
Any other Lario owners have the electrics black out at the most inconvenient moment.
I found there's a main molex connector under the tank, the two large pins Positive to the switch and Positive from switch to fuse box in mine were overheating and losing contact.
Eventually after trying to replace the pins I thought, I'm never going to unplug this anyway and crimped it around the connector, no more problems.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2021, 12:36:22 AM »
moto guzzi entered 4 bikes in the 1986 dakar, none of them made it to the finish.
indeed one burned down
that was the end of guzzi's interest in the Dakar...
I tracked down one of the mechanics a couple of years later, when preparing my V65 TT for off road competition.
the term UJ failure was the best they could do to to explain the early DNF without making a fool of themselves. 
but was not the complete story.
You might want to read this
http://www.guzzi.com.au/baja/index.shtml
Phil knows all, He just told me more interesting stuff but can’t remember detail so won’t try quoting.
His 8 valve has never been apart as far as he knows, revs to 9 like mine does,
Must be others in the world who’ve got them going right, a few racers who got a lot more
Mine is inherently std, valves, rods, pistons, carbs etc etc

Any other Lario owners have the electrics black out at the most inconvenient moment.
I found there's a main molex connector under the tank, the two large pins Positive to the switch and Positive from switch to fuse box in mine were overheating and losing contact.
Eventually after trying to replace the pins I thought, I'm never going to unplug this anyway and crimped it around the connector, no more problems.
Rewired of course, Roy, no one runs std Guzzi 60’s, 70’s or 80’s wiring do they ?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2021, 12:36:22 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »

thanks, KR.. saved in my Lario stuff file. I'll give it a look when I get a round toit.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here