Author Topic: tires and storage  (Read 655 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
tires and storage
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »
I've been sick enough to be able to ride the past couple of years. I get close to start thinking maybe I'm ready  and then get hit again with muscle fatigue.  I continue regularly run the engine so it gets fully hot using a floor fan on it. I run the carbs dry after each time I run it.  I am also am doing small upgrades like a new dash, dizzy gasket, new turn signals and things like that.
Question about tires. I store the bike in a carport and it doesn't get rained on nor sun. It's on a  center stand and I recently add some lift under the oil pan to unload the front the tire. The question is, does it make any difference to store a tire with full pressure or low pressure? Also is there any benefit to rubbing linseed oil or brake fluid on the tires to reduce "dry rot" I still hope to ride again as my overall health has improved but it is a slow process.
I am riding the lawn mower again so that is a start. I could even do that for awhile.
BTW one tire is new just broken in and the other is near new. Neither showing signs of any cracks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:50:58 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: tires and storage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
I can't imagine your going to hop on and start knee draggin' so I would just make sure the tires are properly inflated and see how quickly you can wear them out.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »
I can't imagine your going to hop on and start knee draggin' so I would just make sure the tires are properly inflated and see how quickly you can wear them out.

I do not think I made myself clear. The question is about "storing tires" on a bike that is not being used. Is there any benefit to under inflating them and or applying something like brake fluid which is does not degrade rubber.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
 The best way to store them is like you said, on centerstand,off ground and reduce the pressure 5 lbs or so. As long as they are shaded from the sun and there are no electrical apparatus in the close proximity (Ozone Generators) leave them dry.  Heal Fast! Get back to riding soon!    :bike-037:

Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:45 PM »
Lower the air pressure with no load on the tires. Avoid putting anything on the tires that may actually rinse off the protective wax that the rubber contains.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here