Author Topic: Stelvio NTX 1200 Changes Over the Years  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Kane

• New Egg
Stelvio NTX 1200 Changes Over the Years
« on: July 31, 2022, 12:45:19 AM »
Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well!
I am keen on getting a Stelvio NTX 1200. I had the pleasure of riding an eight valve Griso once, and I was blown away by the motor. What a great fun bike to ride.  I need a touring long distance bike, and I think the eight valve motor with the 8.5 gallon NTX tank will be brilliant touring bike for me. I would like to know what changes and improvements were done to this model once Guzzi began building them with the roller tappets. I believe that would be Stelvios from 2014 to 2017?

Any advice on what to look for, or the best year to look for? From the little that I know, they may all basically be the same bike post roller tappet, but likely Guzzi was constantly sorting this model until they gave it up.

Thank you! Happy trails!
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Re: Stelvio NTX 1200 Changes Over the Years
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 05:06:38 AM »
Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well!
I am keen on getting a Stelvio NTX 1200. I had the pleasure of riding an eight valve Griso once, and I was blown away by the motor. What a great fun bike to ride.  I need a touring long distance bike, and I think the eight valve motor with the 8.5 gallon NTX tank will be brilliant touring bike for me. I would like to know what changes and improvements were done to this model once Guzzi began building them with the roller tappets. I believe that would be Stelvios from 2014 to 2017?

Any advice on what to look for, or the best year to look for? From the little that I know, they may all basically be the same bike post roller tappet, but likely Guzzi was constantly sorting this model until they gave it up.

Thank you! Happy trails!

The tenth digit of the VIN represents the model year. 2012=C, 2013=D, etc.
Part way through 2012 the roller tappets were introduced. That was the last change. There were no further changes after that.
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 02:47:49 PM »
Thank you, John. That’s good to know. Would it be safe to assume that all 2013 Stelvios came with factory installed roller tappets? Or was the conversion dragged out a ways passed the mid-2012 start of the change?
Sorry if I’m rehashing previously covered ground.
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 03:10:35 PM »
I was told all 2013 and beyond have rollers
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 03:10:35 PM »

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »
Yep, all Stelvios produced 2013 or later will have rollers. All others need to be checked to make sure it's either an original 2012 roller model or a conversion (which, depending on when it was done can also be fine).
It's important not to confuse date of first registration with year of production. Always check the VIN.
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »
Don't forget, the first gen. (non-NTX)  Stelvio had a much smaller gas tank with a storage compartment built into the right side.  Also, since most all Italian bikes of that vintage used Acerbis-manufactured nylon plastic fuel tanks, you can expect to have some ethanol induced swelling.  The tanks on the Stelvio and Norge were made so thick that the swelling is usually pretty mild, at least on the ones I've looked at.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:56:43 AM by Motormike »

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 02:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the info and advice, guys. Ugg, ethanol. And what’s this I hear about the government pushing E10 gas?  I live in California, the land of ethanol, and my V11 has a swollen tank. So much so that when the fork is locked hard left it bumps the tank, yet when turned hard right there is a nice gap between the tank and the fork. It was like this when I acquired the bike, and after about 4 years of ownership it hasn’t gotten any worse, so maybe  the gas did it’s thing and the plastic’s stabilized — is that possible? I ride the bike regularly so the gas is constantly refreshed, if that matters. I am sure that my Ducati Hypermotard’s tank has swelled, too, but the fuel cell is concealed by body work, so it is not visible.

Yeah, the first gen Stelvio looks great and a bit more sporty than the NTX, and I like the red and silver paint scheme. I definitely want the eight valve motor, and I want it to be a factory built roller tappet motor, not an earlier conversion, so as the avoid a motor that may have been compromised prior to its conversion. I believe that means it’s going to be an NTX. I also like the idea of having 8.5 gallons of gas if I want it, even though that’s top heavy. I think it’s a really nice looking bike. I wish the panniers didn’t stick out so far as I am used to lane splitting and filtering, but if I were commuting with it  and riding local in SoCal I would most likely leave the the side cases off and just use a tank bag.
Cheers
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »
Thanks for the info and advice, guys. Ugg, ethanol. And what’s this I hear about the government pushing E10 gas?  I live in California, the land of ethanol, and my V11 has a swollen tank. So much so that when the fork is locked hard left it bumps the tank, yet when turned hard right there is a nice gap between the tank and the fork. It was like this when I acquired the bike, and after about 4 years of ownership it hasn’t gotten any worse, so maybe  the gas did it’s thing and the plastic’s stabilized — is that possible? I ride the bike regularly so the gas is constantly refreshed, if that matters. I am sure that my Ducati Hypermotard’s tank has swelled, too, but the fuel cell is concealed by body work, so it is not visible.

Yeah, the first gen Stelvio looks great and a bit more sporty than the NTX, and I like the red and silver paint scheme. I definitely want the eight valve motor, and I want it to be a factory built roller tappet motor, not an earlier conversion, so as the avoid a motor that may have been compromised prior to its conversion. I believe that means it’s going to be an NTX. I also like the idea of having 8.5 gallons of gas if I want it, even though that’s top heavy. I think it’s a really nice looking bike. I wish the panniers didn’t stick out so far as I am used to lane splitting and filtering, but if I were commuting with it  and riding local in SoCal I would most likely leave the the side cases off and just use a tank bag. I quickly throw over soft bags if I suddenly need luggage space.
Cheers
I use the Stelvio for SoCal commuting. As you mentioned, I leave the side cases (and racks) off and use a rear top box. I throw over soft bags if I suddenly need luggage space.
As to the NTX tank,
1) the minor swelling hasn't been a problem at all.
2)avoid having the bike sit with old ethanol gas because it could cause a paint blister (that amazingly can go away with regular use).
3) the larger tank when full, only adds about 15 lbs up high compared to a common 5 gal tank. So not significant overall to worry about "top heavy."
4) the larger tank saves you time by allowing you less frequent trips to the gas station.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:32:13 AM by coast range rider »
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »
If my memory serves me correctly, the Stelvio NTX got a clutch upgrade to the 1400 clutch somewhere around or after the roller lifters. Guzzisteve (or others) could weigh-in on that.   I'd advise getting the latest model that you can afford/find.  Many posts are in the archives from me and others with how-to jobs that may be necessary on these bikes. I highly recommend that you read up on it.   Good luck.  A properly running Stelvio is a very fun motorcycle.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 10:57:22 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 11:50:33 PM »
Thanks for the helpful info!
So Coast Range Rider, how do you like the Stelvio NTX for a commute bike zipping around L.A.? Not too big and heavy?
Appreciate what you’re saying about the tank.
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3

Offline Paul_Tim

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 03:57:40 AM »
The earlier bikes ran a 170 width rear tyre rather than the "weedy" 150 on the later models  :grin: and also 50mm rather than 45mm forks.
In reality either will keep you amused.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 03:58:14 AM by Paul_Tim »

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info!
So Coast Range Rider, how do you like the Stelvio NTX for a commute bike zipping around L.A.? Not too big and heavy?
Appreciate what you’re saying about the tank.
Good question. My rural SoCal commute takes me through twisties near Palomar Mountain, up and down secondary roads at 70-90 mph, through relaxed traffic in Escondido, to about 6 miles of freeway in the commute lane. Stelvio is perfect.
I've never enjoyed L.A. traffic on any bike. Too much braking, not enough zipping. To get to your question, I've ridden in Friday afternoon rush hour a few times along 91, 210 and others going eastbound. I find the lanes narrow for splitting compared to San Diego County. The wide bars of the Stelvio was the (only) problem. "Big and heavy" is only a concern in my garage, never on the road. The solution, BTW, was tucking in behind CHP splitting the lanes on his RTP. Traffic parted nicely for us then.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:20:18 AM by coast range rider »
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 04:29:01 PM »
"Big and heavy" is only a concern in my garage, never on the road.
This is why I was moved to part with my 2012 NTX. Never an issue with it on the road. But in the garage or when parking fully loaded it was becoming an issue. Hated to part with it but just finally had to give in and move on. It was a fantastic mile eater on long tours.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 07:14:28 PM »
  I live in California, the land of ethanol, and my V11 has a swollen tank. So much so that when the fork is locked hard left it bumps the tank, yet when turned hard right there is a nice gap between the tank and the fork. It was like this when I acquired the bike, and after about 4 years of ownership it hasn’t gotten any worse, so maybe  the gas did it’s thing and the plastic’s stabilized — is that possible?

Yes, obviously the tanks don't swell indefinitely (that WOULD be a problem!)  Each model's tank shape reacts differently.  Some swell in such a way they become hard to remove and re-install.  Others swell in such a way as to allow the fork tubes to hit the fuel tank before the stops. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here