Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554097 times)

beetle

Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
Okay, new problem.  While hooked up to GD, I start the Ballabio and lose all readouts.  How can I read the tach on GD if it shuts down when I  start the Ballabio?  What am I doing wrong??

Does GD stay connected? How's your battery? I wonder of the OBD2 dongle is shutting down when this happens due to a voltage drop.  Also, try connecting AFTER you start the Ballabio.

Vasco DG

« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Voltage drop is my thought. PADS and NAVI do this too, its a real PITA. Hook the battery up to a charger for a bit or try and connect when the bike is already running. You can usually work around it.

Pete

Offline Thunderbox

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »
Hi Paul.

Just back from vacation, and found the new cables from LonElec in my mailbox.  So, I have connected everything back up, reloaded drivers (from the LonElec website) and... still no luck.  Device manager shows both USB Serial Converter and COM5 to have FTDI drivers, and the test program works (red light on cable is illuminated).  This makes two computers, three OBD cables, two 3-pin cables without success.  I'm really starting to think that the problem must be on the bike (cable to ECU).     Maybe I should go buy another motorcycle to test on.   ;D

Cheers,
Shaun

The connector on the bike should only have 2 wires.  That may be the one for the ABS.
Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The rest just happen to be riding a motorcycle.

Offline averb

• Gosling
« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
Okay, new problem.  While hooked up to GD, I start the Ballabio and lose all readouts.  How can I read the tach on GD if it shuts down when I  start the Ballabio?  What am I doing wrong??
I've had this problem on my wifes Breva, I pulled the fuse for the headlight and it stopped the problem.
This is a pain so I'm going to try running the dongle from a switch mode power supply
Steve

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

Offline Tinkerfreak

• New Egg
« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
I have developed a burble/miss at idle after the bike(2012 Stelvio) is warm. I will pull up to a light and it will occur. I set the valves, balanced the TB's, reset the TPS, uploaded a new map with the Lambdas shut off and only adjusted the CO slightly and reset the TPS. At first it ran quite well but has developed this miss as of late and I was wondering what might be the cause. It is a totally stock bike.

Cheers

Offline Thunderbox

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
I have developed a burble/miss at idle after the bike(2012 Stelvio) is warm. I will pull up to a light and it will occur. I set the valves, balanced the TB's, reset the TPS, uploaded a new map with the Lambdas shut off and only adjusted the CO slightly and reset the TPS. At first it ran quite well but has developed this miss as of late and I was wondering what might be the cause. It is a totally stock bike.

Cheers

When the bike is warm and the miss is occurring hook it up and adjust the CO until the miss is gone.
Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The rest just happen to be riding a motorcycle.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Another problem.  I am working on my Ballabio.  Trying to copy the current map into writer and it won't do it.  Also, now I try and hook GD up and when it says to turn the key on, I do.  Then it says ignition off.   I had it hooked up to the bike the other day when i was trying to balance the TB's and it worked.  I have completely disconnected the bike, shut the program down and restarted the computer.  It still will not connect, neither GD or reader.  I am using the right ECU selection and reader.  It acts like I am trying to read the wrong ECU.  The  display states it is the 15 ECU, and the Ballabio is selected in the table of choices. What should I try or do now?? I have the proper cables from England. Battery is fully charged.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »
Another problem.  I am working on my Ballabio.  Trying to copy the current map into writer and it won't do it.  Also, now I try and hook GD up and when it says to turn the key on, I do.  Then it says ignition off.   I had it hooked up to the bike the other day when i was trying to balance the TB's and it worked.  I have completely disconnected the bike, shut the program down and restarted the computer.  It still will not connect, neither GD or reader.  I am using the right ECU selection and reader.  It acts like I am trying to read the wrong ECU.  The  display states it is the 15 ECU, and the Ballabio is selected in the table of choices. What should I try or do now?? I have the proper cables from England. Battery is fully charged.

Have you tried hooking everything up, and then plugging it into the computer?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »
Yes, no joy.  What gets me is that it worked before, but not now. :(
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

beetle

« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
Can you still connect to the Norge?

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
Can you still connect to the Norge?

Yes I can.  And I found the problem.  My assistant, my son, last time we were working on it, used the kill switch rather than the key to shut it off.  I turned the kill switch off and it worked like it should.  :-[  So once again, the problem was operator interface.  What a DA I'm am.   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[  There is a reason the VA said I shouldn't be allowed to possess anything sharper than a pillow.  ::)
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2014, 05:37:27 AM »
Bwahhhh..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2014, 05:51:05 AM »
Bin 'dere, done dat! ;)

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2014, 05:53:47 AM »

well look at the ecu, is it a 15m or 15rc? then look whet the selected v11 gives in guzzidiag, that should be the same.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Thunderbox

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
I am very happy with the way the Norge is running since modifying the map and shutting off the O2 sensor.  Idle is better, no backfiring and no surging on the road.  Thank you all for all the information.  Beetle has been specially helpful and I extend a big thank you to him.  Keep up the good work people and have a great season.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
After putting the new map in my 07 Norge, I don't have as much popping on overrun as I did.  Just a very slight bit.  The big difference though is cold idle. When I go to start  off when the bike is cold, it stumbles a bit and acts like it needs some choke.  After warm up it is kosher and runs well.  My CO setting currently is 0. Thinking maybe I should set at +5 and keep going up +5 until it no longer has that stumble at cold idle.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
Another problem.  I am working on my Ballabio.  Trying to copy the current map into writer and it won't do it.  Also, now I try and hook GD up and when it says to turn the key on, I do.  Then it says ignition off.   I had it hooked up to the bike the other day when i was trying to balance the TB's and it worked.  I have completely disconnected the bike, shut the program down and restarted the computer.  It still will not connect, neither GD or reader.  I am using the right ECU selection and reader.  It acts like I am trying to read the wrong ECU.  The  display states it is the 15 ECU, and the Ballabio is selected in the table of choices. What should I try or do now?? I have the proper cables from England. Battery is fully charged.

I assume you mean you're trying to copy the current map with reader and not with writer? Verified that you have the correct versions of reader and writer?
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »
Yes I was using reader and do have the correct version.  The biggest problem, actually the only problem was the operator interface. Operator being the operative word here.  :P ::) :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:17:13 PM by Stormtruck2 »
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

beetle

« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
After putting the new map in my 07 Norge, I don't have as much popping on overrun as I did.  Just a very slight bit.  The big difference though is cold idle. When I go to start  off when the bike is cold, it stumbles a bit and acts like it needs some choke.  After warm up it is kosher and runs well.  My CO setting currently is 0. Thinking maybe I should set at +5 and keep going up +5 until it no longer has that stumble at cold idle.

May I suggest +3 to start, then go up by 2, then 1 (if needed). A little bit goes a long way.   :D

Also, for a long term 'fix', a look at the warm-up table or fuel-engine-temp table may be required if it runs great once warm.

;-T

Offline Thunderbox

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »

I tried to get rid of the popping by removing fuel from 4500 rpm to 2000 rpm with closed throttle but never was happy with the result.  It still popped slightly and there was a surge when the fuel came back on.  I added 20% extra fuel under those conditions and I have 0 popping.  You also need to adjust your CO to get the idle and cold start to be satisfactory.  This is done with the bike running and you will see the difference it makes in the smoothness of the idle and the cold start.  Would you be interested in the map from my 2008 Norge.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
I tried to get rid of the popping by removing fuel from 4500 rpm to 2000 rpm with closed throttle but never was happy with the result.  It still popped slightly and there was a surge when the fuel came back on.  I added 20% extra fuel under those conditions and I have 0 popping.  You also need to adjust your CO to get the idle and cold start to be satisfactory.  This is done with the bike running and you will see the difference it makes in the smoothness of the idle and the cold start.  Would you be interested in the map from my 2008 Norge.

Yes I would be interested.  :bow  The one I have now I believe is from Beetle, and has made a big difference. I have saved both maps, so yes I would appreciate a chance to try yours.  I'm downloading the Ballabio map here in a wee bit and will send that one to Beetle.  GD sure has made fine tuning our bikes a hellava lot easier, and fun too! ;-T
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Claesson

« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2014, 09:51:14 PM »
Hello everybody I have a couple of questions about modifying maps.
I have a two lambda stelvio with a sprint air filter stock airbox and mivv silencer without baffle.
I wanna get rid of the popping and wonder what values to change.
Also read on another forum (guzzitech) that you can damage the engine if you turn off the lambdas?

beetle

« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »
Hello everybody I have a couple of questions about modifying maps.
I have a two lambda stelvio with a sprint air filter stock airbox and mivv silencer without baffle.
I wanna get rid of the popping and wonder what values to change.

There are two ways to do it. You can either cut fuel to 0 in the 4.6 & 4.7 TPS columns from 2750 to 8500 rpm, or add extra fuel in the same columns between 2500 and 3750 rpm. Too much fuel has the same affect on popping as no fuel.

Also read on another forum (guzzitech) that you can damage the engine if you turn off the lambdas?

Complete and utter rubbish.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:25:14 PM by beetle »

Vasco DG

« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
I do wish people would at least TRY their bikes with the stock air filtration system. Replacing the stock filter with a rock strainer or drilling holes in the air box will achieve nothing but will create problems with driveability. Really, frigging about with the air box is really one of the most in-necessary mods. An Unbaffled pipe will also contribute nothing but noise and difficulty in getting the machine to perform well.

Turning the lambda/s will off harm nothing.
D
Pete
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:30:32 AM by Vasco DG »

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2014, 03:12:27 AM »
I do wish people would at least TRY their bikes with the stock air filtration system. Replacing the stock filter with a rock strainer or drilling holes in the air box will achieve nothing but will create problems with driveability. Really, frigging about with the air box is really one of the most in-necessary mods. An Unbaffled pipe will also contribute nothing but noise and difficulty in getting the machine to perform well.

Turning the lambda/s will harm nothing.

Pete
I can't agree more with what Peter is saying here.
I had an Unrestricted exhaust on for a while ( kidding myself it sounded cool ? ) thinking the O2 sensor and ECU would take care of the tuning. Wrong so Wrong !
Maybe it sounded better , to me anyway, but the bike just felt Flat throughout the entire rev range.
Tried one of Beetles maps with a mistral pipe with the DB killer IN. What a difference !
The engine now pulls smoothly and strongly from low in the rev range to the red line . Woo hoo.
A pleasant surprise with this new map was the reduction in vibration from the engine at all road speeds.
So... For this boy who knows little of the science and mathematics involved in designing exhausts and induction systems, I'll trust in Mr Guzzi at the factory to work that part out for me.

2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2014, 04:12:18 AM »
You can put a different exhaust and air filter on but the bike needs the mapping altering to compensate. On my 1200 Sport 2v the stock exhaust gave more power than a GPR silencer with the same map. I now use a Sprint competition air filter recommended by Agostini in Mandello and this combined with the stock silencer and a  data logged map  for me is the best combination.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

beetle

« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2014, 04:23:31 AM »
Dave, don't forget the 8V is a completely different animal. No one's saying you can't do it,  but IMO (and Pete's) it's not necessary. The stock filter flows well more than enough for most applications. I guess if you want to get a lot of power out of the 8V, you may want to add a rock strainer, but I'd bet my left one it would be a very ordinary ride on the street.

Offline Tenni138

• New Egg
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2014, 03:07:02 PM »
I have a 2009 Norge stock air filter and exhaust. Evap can removed and vacuum line plugged(caused surging while in gear and clutch pulled in) Running Molly's map with trim set to +5 and the bike runs great. I 've noticed that if clutch switch is not activated when clutch lever is pulled in then idle is increased. Must have something to do with stepper motor. This a great forum.  Thanks for everyone who contributes. ;-T

Claesson

« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2014, 07:14:55 AM »
Hi are trying to upload a map with the writer app on a mac ,the reader and diag program works fine, the writer finds the computer but wont load anything from it. ???

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2014, 08:39:15 AM »
You can browse the Mac file system and you can select the map to be uploaded then it fails?
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here