Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554128 times)

kris

Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #420 on: April 29, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »
SUCCESS!!! Finally got my Mac to connect with my Norge.  Had to disable the Mac driver and she connected right away!  Thanks for all your input, now I just need a map.

I synced the throttle bodies but I'm having some trouble.  Followed the instructions exactly as it says and got everything in sync, took the bike for a ride and seemed to be running hotter than normal.  I rechecked the sync and now it's way off, redid it, took for a ride and now it's way off again. Anybody have a clue?  I'm using a Carbmate and a Twinmax and getting the same result with both.  Also connected to Guzzidiag and the temp was at 125c!

Vasco DG

« Reply #421 on: April 29, 2015, 10:08:36 PM »
Have you removed the charcoal canister? If so you'll have to block the vacuum pipe that went from the canister to the manifolds.

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2015, 04:10:03 AM »
SUCCESS!!! Finally got my Mac to connect with my Norge.  Had to disable the Mac driver and she connected right away!  Thanks for all your input, now I just need a map.

I synced the throttle bodies but I'm having some trouble.  Followed the instructions exactly as it says and got everything in sync, took the bike for a ride and seemed to be running hotter than normal.  I rechecked the sync and now it's way off, redid it, took for a ride and now it's way off again. Anybody have a clue?  I'm using a Carbmate and a Twinmax and getting the same result with both.  Also connected to Guzzidiag and the temp was at 125c!

Well then the driver you did install is to old, as I wrote, now OSX does have an ftdi driver in the kernel.

Thats from maverics:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2315/_index.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:11:22 AM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

kris

« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »
Have you removed the charcoal canister? If so you'll have to block the vacuum pipe that went from the canister to the manifolds.

Pete

No, the bike is completely stock.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »

kris

« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
Well then the driver you did install is to old, as I wrote, now OSX does have an ftdi driver in the kernel.

Thats from maverics:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2315/_index.html

It was the MAC driver that I had to disable.

beetle

« Reply #425 on: May 02, 2015, 02:32:41 AM »
Updated the OP to current releases, plus added Linux and Mac links.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #426 on: May 04, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »
Is it worth remapping my '14 V7 stone if I put on the Lafranconi Competizione mufflers?

Punch

« Reply #427 on: May 12, 2015, 04:56:16 AM »
A couple of days ago I posted in the Stelvio thread over on the ADV forum about the logging work I did making the map for my 2 Lambda Stelvio.   

Can you post a link please - logging is SO important to me.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2015, 05:22:56 AM »
Paul

Punch

« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26723585&postcount=12936
Many thanks.

Like many or some of us I have spent ages doing an Excel workbook to analyse data.

It is very interesting to me, not for profit, just for my bike to be better and to help others.

I now have my LC-1 back from a friend and the ScanST software.  Next is to "convert" from LC-1 serial output to USB.
I have read on ducati.ms that ScanST has been coded to take LC-1 AFR data straight from the serial DB9 connector.
Not having a DB9 port, I have been looking at how to get DB9 to USB.
I understand I do not need the special (FTDI) serial to USB to do this, but I am still unsure.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2015, 06:29:20 AM »
Punch, this topic is about getting guzzidiag up and running, maybe open an own topic with questions about logging? 
Paul

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #431 on: May 12, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »
Others here (Paul for example!) are much more competent to help than I am when it comes to the Scan App, but here is what I was at least planning to do.
I understand that the App has now been updated to read twin lambda signals, and I have an Innovate Dual Channel LM-2. So I bought the following two items to experiment with. I got a DB9 Male-Female RS232 Wireless Bluetooth Module, together with a Battery Box to power it. Theoreticaly I should be able to read AFR from both my Wideband Sensors, together with lots of  other engine data straight from my LM2 to the the Scan App. But I never got around to hooking it up and playing with it because I can record directly to an SD card with the LM2 and that's all I actually need. So I can't tell you if it works or not, but theoretically it should.
John

UPDATE:. sorry, I just read that you don't have the DB9, or do you? So I'm not sure if my post is any help.. And maybe Paul is right about putting it in a separate thread ☺
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

beetle

« Reply #432 on: May 12, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
Didn't I do a 'Howto' on logging for remapping?   ???  I can't remember... :D

Vasco DG

« Reply #433 on: May 12, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »
Probably on the Ghetto. I don't think it came here.

Pete

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #434 on: May 13, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
I am having trouble resetting the TPS on a totally stock 750 Breva. I don't know if "engine off" means engine off key on or key off. I am quite sure that I shouldn't be seeing values 100.4 or 44.5. I also have no idea what I should be seeing for CO trim.

Please be kind I'm a noob.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Vasco DG

« Reply #435 on: May 13, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
750 Breva uses 15M-RC controller. Doesn't use electronic re-calibration.

Pete

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #436 on: May 13, 2015, 01:18:47 PM »
UPDATE!

You fellas might not know it, but these Breva 750s will run pretty well with the TPS unplugged, but you won't be able to reset the TPS.

In my retirement I undertook to help out my old friend Motoguzziman who travels the states in summer and lives elsewhere for the winter. His bike started leaking oil while he was here last year but he was able to finish his time out here. I kept his bike for the winter to fix the oil leak and do a general service to be sure he was ready for this year's tour. I replaced the clutch and rear main seal. He has more than 60,000 miles on the bike most of it two-up with the most lovely Christine. The oil leak was from the crimped fitting on the back of the pan where the oil drains back from the breather system. The fitting was salvaged and a new style hose installed with proper clamps. I basically crabbed the frame and removed the gear box cleaned everything and reassembled. I only missed one little plug, I found the plug but couldn't remember where it went, today I found where it was supposed to be! Pete I think you are forgetting that the Breva 750s have no slots at the TPS and were the first (I think) to use the reset from software, anyway it is running fine now 3.10 on the TPS now. Thanks for replying.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Vasco DG

« Reply #437 on: May 13, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »
It's 4.00AM and I've been awake for three hours. I'm probably not at my sharpest right now..... :D

Pete

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #438 on: May 13, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
I thought it might be a little early or little late in the day for you. All good now! Get some sleep or?? !

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #439 on: May 13, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »
if tps signal is faulty, ecu uses limp home mode. so it simulates a value based on rpm.
Paul

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #440 on: May 13, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
Thanks for that Paul. I'm afraid my aging brain will never get caught up with all this new fangled stuff and the older I get the harder it becomes. I am frequently overwhelmed with how well the new stuff works but I really don't understand why it works. I enjoy twisting wrenches but I don't enjoy the computer stuff even when I can make it work. I marvel at you fellas that it all makes sense to. I'll keep my pointed and carbed Mille GT as I know what to fix or adjust "most" of the time.
Thanks for keeping all this information flowing.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Punch

« Reply #441 on: May 13, 2015, 10:32:41 PM »
Punch, this topic is about getting guzzidiag up and running, maybe open an own topic with questions about logging? 

I did  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76168.0

Very little aka close to zero interest.

I am also going to look at ScanM16 as an alternative to carrying a notebook.
Time will tell.

kris

« Reply #442 on: May 26, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »
Okay, finally got some free time to change my Norge fuel map to the latest and greatest sent from Pete.  Reset the learning parameters, reset tps.  First, the bike was harder to start and when it did the idle was rough and would miss a beat every so often, the fumes were close to being overwhelming.  I then took it for a long ride, nice, smooth throttle response, but a little surging when at around 2500rpm in traffic(common around here).  At speed the bike just seemed to want to pull harder with less effort than the stock map.  My biggest complaint, and my only real one with the stock map is the snatchy throttle response, Pete's map seemed to help quite a bit with this.  After my first test run I hooked up Guzzidiag and tried to lower the C0 as the fumes were unbearable but this just caused an even rougher idle and the bike would stall.  Overall the map worked really well, but I went back to the stock map as it really isn't too bad, just that damn snatchy throttle!  Anyone know if turning off the Lamda sensors might help and if so, can this be done with Guzzidiag?
Thanks, Kris

canuguzzi

« Reply #443 on: May 26, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
I don't know if the map version you got is the same as mine but while I do notice very minor snatchiness with it (not noticed with the stock map, go figure) I've kept running it, no fumes, smells or anything else like that.

With the stock map, the Norge was smooth up from idle, just felt like the rev wasn't as eager so I used more throttle to move things along. The fuel economy was good as well.

Maybe the stock maps changed between your model year and mine (2013 vs your?)

I should qualify that "snatchiness" is really a freer rev and so more attention to throttle and clutch coordination at very low speeds is needed. I attribute this not to the map itself but the very slight snatch from the driveline below about 2200 rpms which isn't really where the engine should be run anyway unless there is no other choice. Now, I don't really notice it at all and even 2500 rpms is really low even around town except for stops and things like that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:57:57 PM by Norge Pilot »

kris

« Reply #444 on: May 26, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »
I don't know if the map version you got is the same as mine but while I do notice very minor snatchiness with it (not noticed with the stock map, go figure) I've kept running it, no fumes, smells or anything else like that.

With the stock map, the Norge was smooth up from idle, just felt like the rev wasn't as eager so I used more throttle to move things along. The fuel economy was good as well.

Maybe the stock maps changed between your model year and mine (2013 vs your?)

2014, I was thinking this as well.

canuguzzi

« Reply #445 on: May 26, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »
I could send you the stock map I have. Who knows?

Vasco DG

« Reply #446 on: May 26, 2015, 06:01:51 PM »
Kris, are you CERTAIN that your valves are set, accurately, to 6 thou inlet and 8 thou exhaust? Are you CERTAIN that your throttle bodies are balanced correctly? When you uploaded the map did you.

a.)Reset the TPS.

b.)Reset the self learning parameters.

c.)Start with the CO trim at zero.

In every single case where there has been a problem with a 'Map' that I have encountered the problem has either been the tune and set up of the bike or one of the above listed features not being taken into account or performed correctly.

As I've said before a different map us not a 'Magic Bullet'. If there is an underlying problem with the tune and set-up of the bike re-mapping it won't fix that. The 8V is very, very sensitive to changes to tune and set up.

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #447 on: May 26, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »
the 8v norge had only one stock map as far as I know. map id is 3222NG01 CM227006 you can see that lift bottom in guzzidiag

Switching of lambda goes with tunerpro, look in youtube for a video of that made by pauldaytona. I think Beetle made an instruction too, he is good in that too.
Paul

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #448 on: May 26, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
I think Kris said that he got the map from Pete, which I am assuming is a Beetle map from Mark.  If that's the case, I'm pretty sure the Lambdas are already off...

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

beetle

« Reply #449 on: May 26, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »
What map did you send him Pete?  I've only sent the very latest map to two peeps on this forum. As far as I know, the only other guy using it is in Australia.

It most definitely should not be running so rich at idle that it's causing fumes that bad. Something is wrong.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:45:47 PM by beetle »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here