Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554117 times)

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #480 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:31 PM »
Hi - I just got a 98 MG Centauro and it is running "poorly".  I would like to do the GuzziDiag thing.  It has a standard 3 pin type connector (same as my friend's V11) at the ECU and the GuzziDiag lists the V10 Centauro.
However, it has an M16 ECU (smaller than the 8 and bigger than the 15).

Will the procedure and listed connectors, etc outlined for the M15 work for the M16?

Thanks
NMPete  :azn:

Yes, you only can't change much. No mapping possible. But you can read all values
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #481 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »
Hi - I just got a 98 MG Centauro and it is running "poorly".  I would like to do the GuzziDiag thing.  It has a standard 3 pin type connector (same as my friend's V11) at the ECU and the GuzziDiag lists the V10 Centauro.
However, it has an M16 ECU (smaller than the 8 and bigger than the 15).

Will the procedure and listed connectors, etc outlined for the M15 work for the M16?

It will be useable for diagnostics, and TPS setup. To remap it, you need a rom burner.

I have a rom burner and a few chips if you are serious about a remap.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Vasco DG

« Reply #482 on: June 09, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »
Hey Beetle - your initial recommendation of the Lonelec cable kit for the job is still the most reliable ? My 2010 Griso 8V with Termi muffler urgently needs the fuelling cleaned up. If you have a map that is suitable I would be very grateful.

I think Mark is out of town at the moment? PM me your email and I can send you a map.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #483 on: June 09, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »
Lonelec for the cables? Yes. You can get them elsewhere, but they at least guarantee them to work from Lonelec.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #483 on: June 09, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »

lenz9753

« Reply #484 on: June 09, 2015, 07:49:42 PM »
Thanks Beetle - the process begins - first acquire the "tools"

lenz9753

« Reply #485 on: June 09, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
I think Mark is out of town at the moment? PM me your email and I can send you a map.

Pete

Thanks Pete - PM sent

Offline stinga

• New Egg
« Reply #486 on: June 16, 2015, 06:01:46 AM »
G'day all.
Wanting to reset my TPS so Iev downloaded all the correct 3 programs for my bike type and just waiting for the cable to turn up.
My bike is a 2010 1200 Sport 8V and when I go through the set up I cant find an option for the 1200 Sport 8V so my question is,

Do I use the 1200 Sport or the 1200 Griso 8V option.
Cheers
Stinga

Vasco DG

« Reply #487 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:15 AM »
For resetting the TPS you can use any of the 8V iterations I believe. Paul or Mark will confirm.

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #488 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
For resetting the TPS you can use any of the 8V iterations I believe. Paul or Mark will confirm.

Pete

correct, any 5am will do, so use 1200 sport 2v.  In diag no difference, mightbe the 2 lambda bikes have more lambda options. And the bellagio is also diferent
Paul

beetle

« Reply #489 on: June 20, 2015, 12:05:26 AM »
Updated Tutorial when using the latest release of GuzziDiag.

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
  • non e il rumore, e la musica
« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Sorry to be asking, I know it has been covered before but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. What cables do I need to buy and from where for a 2002 Special Sport?

Steve Stamilio

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »
Sorry to be asking, I know it has been covered before but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. What cables do I need to buy and from where for a 2002 Special Sport?
It's easy, the first post in this topic has a link to cables
Paul

Offline rfguy

• New Egg
« Reply #492 on: July 07, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
Hello Paul and Beetle,

Just wanted to ask how and/or if any development is coming along for the 7SM (maybe all the new 1400's are using this ECU?). Sure would like to be able to tweak low and mid range mixture conveniently. With a somewhat free-er flowing exhaust on my 2014 Cali 1400, and the impending 100+F temps of a typical Central Texas summer almost here, it would be really nice to be able to have a fatter mixture on the bottom for a few months. Everything needed here to do logging for whoever can do something with the data....

I also don't seem to see an official support forum for GuzziDiag. I assume Griso Ghetto is serving that purpose for us English speaking types?

Jim

beetle

« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »
The 7SM and MUIG3 ECU's are a work in progress. Stay tuned.

As far as support for GuzziDiag, you can get it here if you need it.

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
  • non e il rumore, e la musica
« Reply #494 on: July 07, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »
It's easy, the first post in this topic has a link to cables
Thanks Paul, I had remembered others getting them from eBay and Amazon and I thought it had to do with shipping problems or cost, but it's actually  cheep from your link. :thumb:

Steve Stamilio

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #495 on: July 12, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »
Ok.....have the cables and program. Been avoiding doing any mods to fueling as I didn't buy into it fully but out of options to fix an annoying issue.  Lean surge on steady throttle and popping.

Totally stock 2012 Stelvio with 43k km. Never had this issue before but just started to get worse. Not to the point of I won't ride just to the point that it is annoying and can't seem to find the cause.  Have checked and double checked syncing the Tbs, valves adjusted, no air or exhaust leaks tbs are clean. It has been hot and humid here the last little bit and that is when it is worse. This is my 3rd summer with it and don't remember it being like this so does not sound heat related but who knows at this point.

Without reading the whole thread, thinking of turning off the lambdas. Is there an official map for the Stelvio that everyone has been using. I can read the tutorials and figure out how to do it I just don't want to have to experiment with different maps.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #496 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Mark (Beetle) has a great map for the Stelvio, as do a few others.  All of Mark's maps have the Lambdas disabled, and the improvements are clear!

The only thing that worries me about what you describe is that this has not been a consistent issues.  However, I don't think changing out the make can hurt, and it is quick/easy to do.

Cheers,
Shaun

'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Vasco DG

« Reply #497 on: July 12, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »
Ok.....have the cables and program. Been avoiding doing any mods to fueling as I didn't buy into it fully but out of options to fix an annoying issue.  Lean surge on steady throttle and popping.

Totally stock 2012 Stelvio with 43k km. Never had this issue before but just started to get worse. Not to the point of I won't ride just to the point that it is annoying and can't seem to find the cause.  Have checked and double checked syncing the Tbs, valves adjusted, no air or exhaust leaks tbs are clean. It has been hot and humid here the last little bit and that is when it is worse. This is my 3rd summer with it and don't remember it being like this so does not sound heat related but who knows at this point.

Without reading the whole thread, thinking of turning off the lambdas. Is there an official map for the Stelvio that everyone has been using. I can read the tutorials and figure out how to do it I just don't want to have to experiment with different maps.

Roller or flat tappet?

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #498 on: July 12, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »

what value doe the tps show in guzzidiag?
Tried reset autolearning values?
Paul

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #499 on: July 12, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
Roller or flat tappet?

Flat tappet.

Paul,  Haven't hooked up guzzidiag yet. Have been using centurion and tps resets to 4.7,4.7. Never moves to much from those values 

Going to gather my cables and give guzzidiag a whirl and see what it says.  Will try the autolearn reset. Think I saw that option in centurion but never actually tried it. Will do it when I get diag up and running.

Funny thing is after I wrote the original post I continued on the ride I was on and the temperature dropped about 5c as I got closer to the lake and the surging stopped and popping went back to normal. This must be temp related but never noticed it before.

beetle

« Reply #500 on: July 12, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
Resetting the trims may help, but it will eventually trim back to the same point. Is this a hotter summer for you than the previous two? The change to better after a 5 degree ambient temp drop is telling. The pressure-air-temp correction tables have quite a steep slope in the stock maps.

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #501 on: July 12, 2015, 03:51:46 PM »
Typical summer. This no I am just paying more attention to it now especially the popping. Will try the reset and see what happens. I never had the need to touch the mapping so would rather not if I didn't need to but was at a loss as to why this was happening. If it is temp related then I can live with that explanation.

Vasco DG

« Reply #502 on: July 12, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
Do you do the servicing? If so have the valve clearances changed recently? I suggest going in and re-checking them. If they are not where you set them it may of lunched it's cams.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
No need to change the map if it's been working for you. You can reset the trims by pulling the main fuses or disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds.

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #504 on: July 12, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »
No need to change the map if it's been working for you. You can reset the trims by pulling the main fuses or disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds.

Got Guzzidiag up and running.  Should have done that a long time ago.  Very slick boys.......lot easier than centurion.

TPS reads 4.6.  Reset the autolearn and also disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes for safe measures.  Will go out for a ride later and report.

Pete, I do all my own maintenance.  Had set the clearances a couple of months ago.  This morning I started from scratch and checked them again and they were the same. I have always set mine at a 6 and 8 even though they are flat tappets. At the same time I reset the tps and sync'd the TB just to eliminate any potential. Also ran some seafoam spray through the TB so see if there were any exhaust leaks (the white smoke is a good tracer for leaks).  Everything was good.    I too thought perhaps the cams were munched since my buddy just had his converted to rollers on his 09, but everything seems fine and it sounds fine.   

Vasco DG

« Reply #505 on: July 12, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »
If the clearances haven't changed it should be fine. The reason I am suspicious is that usually if the way they run changes there is a mechanical rather than an electronic cause.

Pete

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #506 on: July 12, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
If the clearances haven't changed it should be fine. The reason I am suspicious is that usually if the way they run changes there is a mechanical rather than an electronic cause.

Pete

Agreed.....that was my concern also, but everything sounded and looked fine.

One thing I did do was set my sync at a higher engine temp.  I usually set it up around 140F, but when I came back yesterday after a ride and checked the balance at true engine temp (didn't measure it, but it was hot), it was off by +2 to +3 grads on my carbmate.  At a resolution of 0.5, that is 1 to 1.5 cm hg off.  Re did the sync at 190F.  Seems to help a little.  Checked the balance after my ride today and it was only off by .5 cm hg.   

Is there a magic number that you have found for engine temp for syncing.  (sorry, post is going a little off topic.....)

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #507 on: July 12, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
Well.....took it for a ride and problem is still there.  Surging around 3200 to 3400 in all gears.  Actually seems worse, but that could just be me as I am really paying attention to it now.  Never had it before, but weirder things have happened on this bike.  Also just noticed I pinched the valve cover gasket when I put it back on today.  Have never done that in 3 years on the bike and have had that cover off numerous times.  Think it is just my frustration setting in and not paying attention.  :violent1:

Once it get the oil off the bike, willing to try a new map.  Hear wonders on the change....maybe that is all I, and my bike need...a little change.  Up to any suggestions on how to make this problem go away.  Will try and play with Guzzidiag and the reader tomorrow and get a copy of the map.  Want to keep this relatively easy, lambdas off and richen it up a little to hopefully get ride of the surge (assuming that is what it is). Not looking for any major performance enhancements.  Anyone have a "ready to go" map for a 2012 Stelvio with all stock components.

Vasco DG

« Reply #508 on: July 12, 2015, 10:14:37 PM »
Is Guzzidiag showing any errors? Also try opening the throttle with the engine off and watching the TPS value. Does it suddenly jump or stop registering at about the throttle opening where the 'Surging' occurs? Then check that things like the engine temperature readings are reasonably accurate. Have a look at the lambda readings and see if there is anything odd happening there.

What concerns me is that a problem has started and seems to be getting worse but it was working fine before with the current map. My feelings that remapping will not have any benefit because there is an underlying problem.

Do you have to goose the throttle to keep it running from cold and when it warms up is the idle low or erratic?

Pete

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #509 on: July 13, 2015, 06:03:23 AM »
Is Guzzidiag showing any errors? Also try opening the throttle with the engine off and watching the TPS value. Does it suddenly jump or stop registering at about the throttle opening where the 'Surging' occurs? Then check that things like the engine temperature readings are reasonably accurate. Have a look at the lambda readings and see if there is anything odd happening there.

What concerns me is that a problem has started and seems to be getting worse but it was working fine before with the current map. My feelings that remapping will not have any benefit because there is an underlying problem.

Do you have to goose the throttle to keep it running from cold and when it warms up is the idle low or erratic?

Pete

No errors on guzzidiag, centurion or the dash. Tps goes from 4.6 to 85 with no issue and the bike idles fine @1200 +\- 20. When I went for my ride yesterday I even opened the fuel cap to eliminate e a vacuum possibility. No go. Pulled both plugs and they look fine. Nice and tan with nothing obvious. I also have ngk caps and the coil plugs are zip tied in. Pulled the injectors and they "look" fine but that is pretty much useless. If it was that or the fuel filter you would think it would show up elsewhere. Seems to be tied to a partial throttle opening. It is not a bucking bronco kind of surge. Just a subtle hesitation. If anything it will make u sea sick. Like I said before more of an annoyance.

For whatever reason everything seems to point to fueling so might as well turn the lambdas off and see what happens. Any ideas on a start point for the CO reading. I shouldn't need a new map but I am not an expert in this. Need some advise on where to go at this point.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here