Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554303 times)

Offline Viker

• New Egg
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #570 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:28 PM »
^ Awesome! I'll give it a try.

UPDATE: No joy.  :sad: The writer program works, but it still cannot see any maps, not even if the driver-disabling program is in use. I will just have to forego using Guzzi Diag for now. (Since my only real fueling problem is bucking and lurching at low throttle settings, I may simply resort to a couple of O2 foolers with a mild enriching setting.)

Are you still using Mavericks?

Try Yosemite. My setup connected first try, using the built-in Yosemite drivers. No issues, no shenanigans.

Offline Viker

• New Egg
« Reply #571 on: August 20, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »
There is no 'listing' for maps.

Beetle, do you feel it would be a bad idea to have a listing/directory for maps?

I totally understand that you're a busy man with better things to do, so I'm not asking you to create one. But what if someone else did?

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #572 on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
GuzziDiag does not work with Bluetooth. No how, no way.  Believe me, I've tried.

Cease now, lest madness take you. 

For resetting TPS and stuff, ScanM5x works a treat, and can do pretty much anything GD can.  No map reading/writing, of course.

"Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad"

Well, I made a mainframe talk to a typesetting machine back in the 70s, when everyone said it wouldn't work. The gods have done darn near as much to me as Prometheus (though I still have my guts, so far), so maybe I'll take this one as one of my "I still need to be a bit techie" projects...

If ScanM5x can do it, then it's either bad manners (and COM port handling) on the part of GuzziDiag, or poor COM port virtualization in the drivers. I just have to figure out which!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

beetle

« Reply #573 on: August 21, 2015, 05:43:23 AM »
Beetle, do you feel it would be a bad idea to have a listing/directory for maps?

I totally understand that you're a busy man with better things to do, so I'm not asking you to create one. But what if someone else did?

You see, I've been exploited in the past. I'm not selling maps to make a quid, but I still reserve the right to rigorously defend my intellectual property. What has this to do with lists you may ask? I get contacted lot, and I mean A Lot by peeps seeking maps. Most are genuinely wanting to improve their bike, but there have been one or two complete arseholes, who, in the past, have used my good nature and generosity to aquire several maps for their own financial gain. At the risk of seeming paranoid, I still prefer to be contacted through the 'usual channels' so that I can perform my own form of due diligence. I absolutely do not want a list 'out there' that will direct the venal scum right to me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #573 on: August 21, 2015, 05:43:23 AM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #574 on: August 21, 2015, 06:34:55 AM »

"Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad"

Well, I made a mainframe talk to a typesetting machine back in the 70s, when everyone said it wouldn't work. The gods have done darn near as much to me as Prometheus (though I still have my guts, so far), so maybe I'll take this one as one of my "I still need to be a bit techie" projects...

If ScanM5x can do it, then it's either bad manners (and COM port handling) on the part of GuzziDiag, or poor COM port virtualization in the drivers. I just have to figure out which!

So why should we put our energy in supporting bluetooth in Guzzidiag?

I tried to use scanmx with BT, I tried 3 adapters, and two phones. I can connect but connection isn't stable langer time.   My goal was to see if I could log data during driving. All BT adapters are different. Using Guzzidiag is mostly done at home, so the cable connection is not a problem.
For mapping, the timing is crucial, why bother with a less reliable connection?

We are more interested in supporting more ecu's and getting more things to be able to diagnose.
Paul

Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #575 on: August 21, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
So why should we put our energy in supporting bluetooth in Guzzidiag?

I tried to use scanmx with BT, I tried 3 adapters, and two phones. I can connect but connection isn't stable langer time.   My goal was to see if I could log data during driving. All BT adapters are different. Using Guzzidiag is mostly done at home, so the cable connection is not a problem.
For mapping, the timing is crucial, why bother with a less reliable connection?

We are more interested in supporting more ecu's and getting more things to be able to diagnose.
Paul

Well, I have to use a Windows device to manage my PC-V, and to be honest I like a larger screen and keyboard for some of this stuff. At the least, I like a tablet rather than a small phone screen for doing anything serious. Since I don't (currently) have an Android tablet, I'm interested in trying to get something set up for GuzziDiag. The Bluetooth connection is a matter of convenience and consistency, a 'want' rather than a 'need'. Also, when I analyze data, I'm more likely to do it on a PC than a smaller device.

Thanks for your comment regarding connection stability; I'll have a chance to check that on my set-up this weekend. Like you, it's likely I would use a cable when loading a map, but that's something I rarely do.

As far as the Bluetooth adapters being different, so are the USB-OBDII cables - look at all the bits that have been poured out of the bucket in messaging regarding the various chipsets and drivers, and counterfeit chipsets, and...  :laugh:  In fact, there have even been issues with the quality and reliability of the Fiat three-pin adapters, and they don't even have logic built in. We all benefit when something is learned, both about the reliability and serviceability of products and sources, and about the usage of the tools themselves. That's why we have this thread, and why I included the specifics about the tools I was using - it may help somebody. I do think that in time, we're going to be able to identify vendors who have reliable Bluetooth devices, much as we've been able to identify suppliers whose cables are made with real FTDI chips.

I understand those more directly involved in GuzziDiag's development may have other priorities - that's why I mentioned that I might look at it as a little project for myself to figure out why this connectivity issue exists. If I can't (or shouldn't) fix it based on what I find, I have at least learned something and can pass that information to the GuzziDiag developers for their feature wishlist. Whether it's a priority for anyone besides me is my issue, not theirs; I'm just thankful they've invested the effort to make the tool so useful thus far.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #576 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
I wish the Capo 1200 was Guzzidiag friendly!   With the engine and suspension involved in the Caponord MAPs,  it would probably be a very complicated proposition..

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #577 on: August 21, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
I wish the Capo 1200 was Guzzidiag friendly!   With the engine and suspension involved in the Caponord MAPs,  it would probably be a very complicated proposition..

well one thing is to figure out how to read and write maps, the second one is what the heck is in in the maps.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

beetle

« Reply #578 on: August 21, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »
well one thing is to figure out how to read and write maps, the second one is what the heck is in in the maps.

Oh yeah. I'm working through the Mana map, and my brain hurts. There's a lot of stuff in that map. The Ducati ST2 was a snack by comparison.

Offline Viker

• New Egg
« Reply #579 on: August 22, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »

You see, I've been exploited in the past. I'm not selling maps to make a quid, but I still reserve the right to rigorously defend my intellectual property. What has this to do with lists you may ask? I get contacted lot, and I mean A Lot by peeps seeking maps. Most are genuinely wanting to improve their bike, but there have been one or two complete arseholes, who, in the past, have used my good nature and generosity to aquire several maps for their own financial gain. At the risk of seeming paranoid, I still prefer to be contacted through the 'usual channels' so that I can perform my own form of due diligence. I absolutely do not want a list 'out there' that will direct the venal scum right to me.

Fair enough  :thumb:

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #580 on: August 22, 2015, 06:58:12 PM »
Quick Guzzidiag question.......2004 Lemans.  I have done the valves, TPS, sync throttlebodies, sured up the exhaust, and checked the rubber boots for leaks.  On this site I saw the recommendation to add +5 to the CO to cure the 3000 cough.

I hooked it up for the first time and it read -138 so to richen it up I set it to -135.  It runs much better.  Does this sound right?  I have heard some say to zero out the CO value?????

Thanks

beetle

« Reply #581 on: August 22, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »
Doesn't the 04 V11 have a lambda probe? I thought it did? If it does, tweaking the CO should have no affect. Unless you have lambda switched off in the map?

If that is the case, ie lambda off or no lambda, -138 seems odd because it should have a max value if +/-128.   :huh:

Vasco DG

« Reply #582 on: August 22, 2015, 07:29:55 PM »
Yup, I was pretty certain that by 2004 all of the V11's were using the 15M-RC so unless the lambda is off trim adjustment will do nothing but I would of expected the reading to revert to zero every time you connected and selected the CO trim function?

Pete

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #583 on: August 22, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »
Checked my notes starting value was -33
I hooked it up twice and it was the value I set it
How do I turn lama on or off?

Offline guzzied

• Hatchling
« Reply #584 on: August 22, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
Quick Guzzidiag question.......2004 Lemans.  I have done the valves, TPS, sync throttlebodies, sured up the exhaust, and checked the rubber boots for leaks.  On this site I saw the recommendation to add +5 to the CO to cure the 3000 cough.

I hooked it up for the first time and it read -138 so to richen it up I set it to -135.  It runs much better.  Does this sound right?  I have heard some say to zero out the CO value?????

Thanks

So what is the cure for the 3000 rpm cough?  My 2003 Rosso Corsa with the 15M has always had it from day 1, but it only occurs in hotter dry temperatures (think Death Valley or Palm Springs California)?  I have played with the power commander for more fueling at this rpm and it has never helped. I was thinking perhaps the head temp sender to base cavity needing to be filled with some type of gel?

Thanks, Mike
Mike Stewart

Sold  2000 Green V11 Sport
        2000 Jackal V1100 Cafe Project
        2002 Ghezzi Brian
        2002 California Special Sport 
        2003 Rosso Corsa

Ride 2002 EV Sport Custom
       2003 EV Touring Custom
       2014 Norge 8V

Vasco DG

« Reply #585 on: August 22, 2015, 07:44:07 PM »
In a hot, dry climate the ETS reading is less likely to be effected by ambient temperature but it could still be a factor.

WRT turning off the lambda you need to download the map, open it in tunerpro and then turn it off. You then save the map and re-load it.

Talking with a customer yesterday about a similar issue with his Griso he cited it by adding more fuel to one cylinder, can't offhand remember which one and being a different bike and map it wouldn't probably be relevant to your situation.

If you want a V11 map with the lambda off I'm pretty sure someone will have one they can share with you.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #586 on: August 22, 2015, 07:46:47 PM »
Checked my notes starting value was -33
I hooked it up twice and it was the value I set it

Phew! Good. OK, when lambda is on, the CO trim setting is ignored by the ECU. You can change it, but nothing will happen. I'm pretty sure it will remember the value until  you switch lambda off, then it may reset to zero. I can't remember.

How do I turn lama on or off?

It has to be switched off in the map.

If it you don't fancy doing it yourself, I can do it for you. I think I have the V11 Le Mans map.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:47:33 PM by beetle »

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #587 on: August 22, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
Heck of a placebo effect maybe
Wonder if PO remapped
Is there a way to see lamda in guzzidiag?

beetle

« Reply #588 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »
GD does show lambda, but it's there even if it's switched off.

Best thing would be to pull the map and check.

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #589 on: August 22, 2015, 10:08:08 PM »
supposedly I have the reader and writer so I will try to read and then report back

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #590 on: August 22, 2015, 10:09:50 PM »
I would also say that on my ride today it never coughed but seemed to be hunting a little bit when cruising at 3000

Running strong so Im hesitant to jump in too deep.

beetle

« Reply #591 on: August 22, 2015, 10:46:37 PM »
Another thing to try is simply reset the trims. If the ride improves immediately and the 3000 rpm cough is gone, then switching off the lambda may be all you need to do.

You can reset them through GD or by pulling the main fuses for 30 seconds.

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #592 on: August 23, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
So another dumb question.....

When I read my map is it gone from the bike until I write one back on?

Or does it stay on there until I write one over the top of it?

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #593 on: August 23, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »
I hooked GD back up and here is the info on the map from the bottom left corner

IAW 15M PF3C
3D02VS9G

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #594 on: August 23, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »
So another dumb question.....

When I read my map is it gone from the bike until I write one back on?

Or does it stay on there until I write one over the top of it?

When you read it, you are just reading it -- not removing it.  The map stays until you write a map to it, during which the first step is to erase the current one.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #595 on: August 23, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
OK so I have read a 64k BIN file and have it.  Now how to do I turn the lamda off and write it back to the bike?

What is lamda again?

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #596 on: August 23, 2015, 08:21:40 PM »
Lambda = oxygen sensor, or O2 sensor.  It just means that the ECU will be looking for air/fuel ratio from the oxygen sensors, and making adjustment to fueling during closed-loop operation. 

In order to edit the BIN file, you need to open it in Tunerpro, and I believe that you need the right kind of .XDF file for your bike to provide the right framework for you BIN file.  I haven't done that part yet, so can't advise very well, but I believe there are some good threads on using Tunerpro.  Try searching for that, or someone else will be along soon to offer some more advice, I'm sure.

Good luck!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

beetle

« Reply #597 on: August 23, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »
You'll need TunerPro (free) to edit the map, plus the 15M XDF file from the GuzziDiag site.

Have a look at my TunerPro howto. I use a 5AM map as an example, but principle is the same.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=73938.msg1155697#msg1155697

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #598 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
Beetle got TunerPro.....your 15M link didn't work so I went to guzzidiag site and it list 2 15M XDF choices.  I tried them both and there is not a lamda on off selection in the map tree?????

beetle

« Reply #599 on: August 23, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »
D'oh! It ain't there is it?  I didn't even know that. I don't usually work on 15M maps. OK, I'll have to find where it is and edit the XDF.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here