Author Topic: Ordering Tires On Line  (Read 12097 times)

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
Ordering Tires On Line
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »
Have any of you had the experience of ordering tires online and then discovering the manufacture date makes the tire one year old when you receive them?
Getting ready to order some new tires and was wondering if any of the online sources are any better or worse on this issue.
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Ordering Tires On Line
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:09:04 AM »
I order online all of the time. Never look at the date code. Then sit it on a shelf to age for a few months. Then put it on the bike for many months. If a front, maybe a year or two even.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »
Online low price tire vendors quite often sell old out dated or "seconds" that they buy in huge lots. Not all, but most. Tires are something I would strongly urge people to buy locally.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »
I stopped ordering from Motorcycle-Superstore for just that reason - 4 year old tires being delivered. Fortunately, the UPS driver waited while I checked the dates and once it was determined they were too old, simply sent them back. Unfortunately, the replacements they sent were just as old.  :angry:

I've never received any tire more than one year old from American Motorcycle Tire.   :thumb:
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
I get mine local. I like to support a local 1 man bike shop here in town. The tires are about the same $$ and he makes sure they aren't a year old or blems.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »
If a tire is delivered and it's made a couple years ago or less, I'm fine with it.  I don't believe they degrade that quickly, especially if they're not stored in sunlight.  Four years is a bit much though.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:39 AM »
I don't trust my local mc shops to touch anything on my bikes let alone wheels and tires. My gripe is if I order tires and they are 1 year old, I've given away 20 percent of their life .....I don't put that many miles per year on my Guzzi to wear them out quickly....
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
I have had very good results with tires through Leather Up.

Disclaimer:  I have only purchased Shinkos through them, however, they were just a few months old, free shipping, quick delivery and cheaper than everyone else.  Last time I bought tires, I realized I had X number of points or what ever, added them in and my tire was almost free.

I try to support my local, but I do my own tires.....just cuz.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »

I order my tires from American Motorcycle Tire and have never gotten a tire older than two years.

I don't expect tires to live five years on any of my bikes, so getting the occasional 2 year old tire is no biggie. 

Usually, the tires are 6 months to 1 year old.  But, it can depend upon the make/model/size of tire.  Some tires turn over quicker than others, and new release tires just aren't going to be very old.  The last set of new tires I bought were Bridgestone T30s and they were only a couple months old.

The dealers can suffer the same problem as online retailers.  They may order you a set of tires and they come in with old dates.  You'll be in the same pickle, if you must have tires hot out of the mold.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »
I buy local from a Yamaha dealer, they are great folks that have helped me and the tires are not much more and are first quality.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 11:57:58 AM »
I stopped ordering from Motorcycle-Superstore for just that reason - 4 year old tires being delivered. Fortunately, the UPS driver waited while I checked the dates and once it was determined they were too old, simply sent them back. Unfortunately, the replacements they sent were just as old.  :angry:

Never had that problem with them and I use their "preferred installer" program to ship them to the local shop nearby.  My advantage I guess would be that I'm buying pretty mainstream stuff with Michelin Pilot Activs in fairly common sizes. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
I would buy local, if the dealers were anywhere close to competitive on price.  When the difference is $50, or more, per tire, it's hard to do.  On Michelin and Metzeler tires, it's been as high as $100 per tire difference.  Crazy.

When I was using Dunlops on my V11 LeMans, I used the local KawaYamaZuki big box store.  They were a Gold level dealer for Parts Unlimited, and were very competitive on price for the RoadSmart tires I was using a few years ago.

American Motorcycle Tire has been good to me, so I'll continue to use them if or until things change locally, here in The Hills.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »
Buying tires at your local dealer is all well and good if they stock the sizes you need. All of the local mega-dealers around here stock nothing but the "popular" sizes and would have to order what I want. Usually at a 50% higher cost. I'm all for supporting dealers, but my customers would not be too happy...  :thewife:

Never had that problem with them and I use their "preferred installer" program to ship them to the local shop nearby.  My advantage I guess would be that I'm buying pretty mainstream stuff with Michelin Pilot Activs in fairly common sizes. 

This was for my brother's Aprilia Pegaso - we chose a tire brand that is very popular and the size is shared with many other medium sized "adventure bikes" - so pretty mainstream and there was no excuse for sending four year old tires twice.
Charlie

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
I've personally never had an issue w/ MC superstore sending older tires in the 150 or so I or my friends have bough for me to install. Like Charlie local shops around my area charge excessively for tires and also for changing them. That is why I bought a tire machine and buy tires online. Within changing 4 tires the money saved over local shops had my MoMar paid for. 

To the OP if you are getting tires with a date code 1 year or less that is more than acceptable.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »
I also buy from American Motorcycle Tire and I prefer to install them myself as I got tired of having the local dealer scrape up my rims. I can do that myself without paying them to do the same thing.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »

I've never received any tire more than one year old from American Motorcycle Tire.   :thumb:
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Ditto, I have been buying from American Motorcycle Tires for several year and have always been happy with their service, prices and tires.
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 01:33:47 PM »
Yes, I have received 1 year old tires, but I ride almost daily here in So. Cal. so I use them up frequently.
Not sure, but shouldn't they be good for 10 years?
I'm thinking the the environment that they're stored in can also make a difference in life span of the rubber. 
Kirk

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »
The online retailer IS my local tire store-whomever they may be. Need parts? Parts store is as local as my computer. It is a brave new world.

Offline Ighani

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
I think the size and brand matters a lot. If you want a tire size or model that's rarely used you're more likely to get old stock Vs. a popular size/brand. That being said, I had good luck ordering from Revzilla last set, before that I got 2 year old tires from some other place (can't remember where) in the same size.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 04:09:17 PM »
I suppose with an online retailer that has decent customer service, you could call and ask what date code the tires you want have stamped on them, and place the order if you're happy with those dates.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 04:18:41 PM »
Interesting article from Continental concerning tire shelf life.  They do better in storage than mounted but there still is deterioration.

http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/tyre-tech-talk/tyre-shelf-life/

Prior to last year I was riding 8-10k on my EVT per year.  Last year I only did about 3k due to distractions, and with the addition of the Griso this year I'll probably split my regular 8-10k between the two bikes.  My EVT tires are a year old so they could easily stay on the bike for this season and maybe next. 

Given a 3 year usage I doubt I would accept a tire that was more than 2 years old for that bike.  Griso tires won't make it that long!
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »
No date problems and quick delivery from Chaparrel.  Used them a couple of times, lately.

'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline toukow

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
I've had surprising good luck with buying from Rocky Mountain ATV, and I didn't expect them to carry the lineup that they do for street tires. I bought three sets last summer - Michelin Pilot Road 3's and 4's, and Pilot Powers for the VFR. The oldest was 18 months, so I was pretty happy. If you call them they will tell you how many they have in stock too, though not sure that helps for age. They were the best price at the time as well.

I'm sure as mentioned above, it matters what brand/model as to turnover. I thought MCN said you should expect less than two years old, but that's from poor memory. I can't imagine any online seller of any significant size providing the tire stamp date, but if they do, I'd consider buying from them even at a higher price.

I too made use of the 'preferred provider' listing at Motorcycle Superstore, and it worked out very well. Prices vary widely though, and the price I paid once at the shop was less than shown online. Good place to start looking though.....Toukow
1999 California 1100 Bassa To Be Decided
2008 FJR1300 Rain Bike
2008 Aprilia Tuono 1000 Sunny Day Bike
1995 VFR 750 Simply The Best

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »
I buy a lot of tires thru motorcycle super store. never had any over 1.5 years old. most of the time they are within a year. Also love the free shipping and I get them with in a day 2 at the most
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 07:43:16 PM »
Tires? I'm ready for a new set. I'll be getting another set of Michelin Pilot Actives :thumb:

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »
I've had surprising good luck with buying from Rocky Mountain ATV, and ...

:1:   I never received an old tire and their price is the best.  I had been buying from Rider's Hill as they were quite competitive, but since they're gone, I'll be checking back in with Rocky Mtn ATV.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »
I had an interesting  conversation with a fellow that worked for Michelin  tires for some time.
Part of our talk was to tire dating and as to how long a tire was good for after said date..
He stated that storage was key , dark and cool is best but dark was necessary over all as U V  is a major factor that breaks down tires that are not being used. That being said 4 years is not an issue, but then again it depends on the mfg and the compound that was developed .Generally a sport touring tire has a longer lifespan stored or on a bike than a more performance based tire .
he also said that a stored tire deteriorates from the outside first , just like when they are being used (tread wear) obviously..
A good way to freshen a stored tire or even tires that have sat over the winter on your bike is to sand them, yep sand them he said...with sand paper 100grit  garnet ...hand sanding any part of the tire that would hit the pavement, with more emphasis given to the edges , this ..light.. sanding removes any affected outer skin and opens up the tire to what it was more like when new .
He seemed to me to be a up rite  kinda guy and we talked of heat cycles and air pressure as well so....
Have i done it ..yep on my old Kawasaki Z1 , I do not ride the bike all that much and the tires are 5 years old and of good tread depth so i clean them up once a year and ride ..
makes sense to me but any other opinions  would be welcome.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:57:41 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:22 PM »
I go with local shop.  They can generally meet most mail order deals I've found including the site listed here.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:10:42 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
I had an interesting  conversation with a fellow that worked for Michelin  tires for some time.
Part of our talk was to tire dating and as to how long a tire was good for after said date..
He stated that storage was key , dark and cool is best but dark was necessary over all as U V  is a major factor that breaks down tires that are not being used. That being said 4 years is not an issue, but then again it depends on the mfg and the compound that was developed .Generally a sport touring tire has a longer lifespan stored or on a bike than a more performance based tire .
he also said that a stored tire deteriorates from the outside first , just like when they are being used (tread wear) obviously..
A good way to freshen a stored tire or even tires that have sat over the winter on your bike is to sand them, yep sand them he said...with sand paper 100grit  garnet ...hand sanding any part of the tire that would hit the pavement, with more emphasis given to the edges , this ..light.. sanding removes any affected outer skin and opens up the tire to what it was more like when new .
He seemed to me to be a up rite  kinda guy and we talked of heat cycles and air pressure as well so....
Have i done it ..yep on my old Kawasaki Z1 , I do not ride the bike all that much and the tires are 5 years old and of good tread depth so i clean them up once a year and ride ..
makes sense to me but any other opinions  would be welcome.

Interesting :thumb:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 09:21:11 PM »
I go with local shop.  They can generally meet most mail order deals I've found including the site listed here.

I was just doing some online shopping........... .....true dat.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here