Author Topic: Ordering Tires On Line  (Read 12185 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Ordering Tires On Line
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »
Out in SoCal, I asked Mark Ethridge if he would put tires on the Mighty Scura. He said, "No.. make that Hell no. You can buy tires off the internet cheaper than I can get them." I said, OK, how much would you charge to put tires on that I bring in?" He said, " I'd give you 20 dollars to take them to this guy and have him do it. I *hate* dealing with tires."  :grin:

I used to feel that way too, then my brother found a Coats 200 changer on CL in Asheville, NC and bought it for me. Once I learned how to use it properly, it made changing tires no big deal.
Charlie

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »
Tools make the job easier. 

I have a friend who is a top mechanic at the local Honda dealer who I use for my tire mounting.

They have a real nice mounting machine and spin balancer.  The mounting machine doesn't touch the wheel's rims, and can get the bead over the rim with no effort from the installer.  No scratches or scuffs!  The spin balancer is fast.  He can do both my tires in about 30-minutes while talking to me.  At $30 per wheel, that's $120 per hour.

Easy money.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
Easy money.
Sure is, but you have to factor in that really expensive tire machine's cost. If you are doing a lot of tire work, that overhead goes to practically nothing pretty fast, though.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »
For me the sticky part of doing my own tires is getting the bead to seat.  I've had to resort to wrapping a ratchet strap around the tire to prevent the air from escaping before the bead moves into place.  I'm sure I'd have more success if my fill hose had a better adapter on it, I need to order one up some day.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
For me the sticky part of doing my own tires is getting the bead to seat.  I've had to resort to wrapping a ratchet strap around the tire to prevent the air from escaping before the bead moves into place.  I'm sure I'd have more success if my fill hose had a better adapter on it, I need to order one up some day.

I got one of these to solve there. Not sure where I got it now.
Strap it on the tire. Inflate it. usually solves the problem.
I've never been able to get ratchet straps to help.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline steelby

• New Egg
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »
My gut says buy local, even if you pay a little more.  These dealers need the "add on's" to make those businesses work.  Think about if the dealer is gone, would that matter to you?  If yes, then ante up and support your local dealer.  If not, then by all means shop price.

It's not the first guy that invented the wheel that should get the credit.  It's the guy that invented the second wheel..."

Offline neverquit

• Hatchling
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
Someone mentioned that Motorcycle Superstore sold old tires.  That isn't always the case.  Yesterday I received a new Dunlop tire from them that was manufactured 23 weeks ago, basically new.  The price was good and the shipping was free as part of a tire sale they had.

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »
no valve stem and volume is the answer. after the bead pops on both sides then install the valve stem and air to liking. balance on the marc parnes or no-mar stand and you good.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2016, 09:41:33 PM »
no valve stem and volume is the answer. after the bead pops on both sides then install the valve stem and air to liking. balance on the marc parnes or no-mar stand and you good.

Yeah I need a inflator that can be used without the valve stem installed.  Hard to find one.  I have the Marc Parnes balancer.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
You guys mean the valve stem, or the valve itself?  I normally unscrew the valve to seat the bead, and I can get it back in without losing too much air, but I can't imagine trying to get a valve stem in after the tire is mounted and seated.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2016, 10:15:08 PM »
 Jim , I'm sure they mean to say CORE .

Dusty

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
If some of you are ordering tires online, where do you take them to be mounted and balanced ?  Do they charge more to mount and balance for tires that weren't purchased there ?  As a business owner I can see how this scenario might be awkward.

Do it myself.  Harbor Fright tire machine, spoons and a Mark Barnes static balancer.  I like to do them at my convenience.
But yes, if you are paying to have them mounted you will pay more, some shops mount for free if you buy the tires from them if you carry in the wheels.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:04:08 AM by gscott »
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »
  We will match withing a few percent the big online retailers. I can get tires delivered from our jobbers in two days.  That way the freshest tires can be obtained.  If you purchase tires from us we will mount and balance on most bikes for $35.00 (more on California rear tires).

We will not install tires you bring into the shop.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »

We will not install tires you bring into the shop.

Why not ?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »
Jim , I'm sure they mean to say CORE .

Dusty
yes , the core itself.  my mistake.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »
Someone mentioned that Motorcycle Superstore sold old tires. 

Not.

I've had very good luck with MCSuperstore. Usually tires appear to be drop-shipped from the distributor.  If you have any problem with anything, my experience has been that MCSuperstore will make it good.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »
Not.

I've had very good luck with MCSuperstore. Usually tires appear to be drop-shipped from the distributor.  If you have any problem with anything, my experience has been that MCSuperstore will make it good.

:1:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
You guys mean the valve stem, or the valve itself?  I normally unscrew the valve to seat the bead, and I can get it back in without losing too much air, but I can't imagine trying to get a valve stem in after the tire is mounted and seated.

Yeah the valve core but my air chucks don't work without the core installed so I can't fill the tire as fast as possible.

kirby1923

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
Yeah I need a inflator that can be used without the valve stem installed.  Hard to find one.  I have the Marc Parnes balancer.

Its a clip on the stem chuck to seat without the core installed (best method)

I got mine at a NAPA store and have one with the stud that will hold the core valve down /core installed and the other will only work if the core is removed.

I have a tire changer in SoCal and have over the years done my own tire changes and balancing. Gives you a chance to really look things over for damage and cracks or nicks that need to be filed (rare).

Several years ago I was going thru 6 to 7 tire changes a year so had to do them myself...easy. The equipment is a very good investment if you are keeping 3 bikes on good rubber and ride allot.

:-)

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
I also have the HF - with the Mojo Lever and Mojo Blocks. I would not use the HF unit without those accessories. Occasionally, I wish I had paid more and got the NoMar tire changer.

HFT set up w/ mojo blocks and mojo lever work well for me.
I actually went and bought honest to goodness genuine tire lube from NAPA, and man I cannot believe
how much easier it is..... :grin:

Anyway, if anyone is thinking of getting the current HFT motorcycle attachment for the HFT tire changer, take a look at it first.
I left HFT in Dec. 15, but the example we had at the Corporate site didn't have the metal rim eating claw, and there wasn't a drilled hole for use of aftermarket blocks.  Not a big thing, but for some maybe......

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2016, 06:57:03 PM »
Why not ?

Well because we install cheaply if you buy from us and, like I said we get fresh tire from WPS or Tucker Rocky and we are real close to the big guys prices.   Mounting and balancing tires at $35.00 is not really a profit center.   
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

kirby1923

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
For me its not the money its the convenience of doing it when you need it. I can change two tires and balanced in less than an hour.

Its at least!! a half of a day and 100 miles + for me to have someone else do it. (At their schedule)

Each to their needs and capabilities. (and enthusiasm)

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2016, 06:35:54 AM »
Why not ?

Could you bring a steak into a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you just because you got a good price on meat somewhere?
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »
If my local (Trumph/Ducati) were reliable at it I'd still be having them do my tires, ordering and installing.  I could drop off the wheel/wheels on the way to work and pick them up on the way home.  But, they became unreliable so I don't anymore.

One other thing that kinda was annoying.  I'd ordered the tires from them and left my wheels, told them I wanted the tires installed and balanced.  Parts guy said fine.  Got a call saying my tires were ready.  Got there and they weren't mounted.  Turns out the parts guy (who is 20ft from the maint guy) will not schedule maint (or even talk to the maint guy), but, he didn't tell me that.  One of the many problems with the ways dealers separate the sales, parts and service departments.  Stupid.  Yes, I know all the corporate reasons, but, still stupid, stupid, stupid.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »
Could you bring a steak into a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you just because you got a good price on meat somewhere?

non sequitur.  LOL!   :grin:

Many shops accept carry-in wheels & tires for mounting.  It's a standard practice in The USA.

I was only asking why your shop chooses to turn away business and easy money.

It's your business, so do what you wish.  I was simply asking...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
non sequitur.  LOL!   :grin:

Many shops accept carry-in wheels & tires for mounting.  It's a standard practice in The USA.

I was only asking why your shop chooses to turn away business and easy money.

It's your business, so do what you wish.  I was simply asking...

I agree. Done right, there is money to be made. Proper equipment + 15 minutes = $40. I'll take that job every time, but for whatever reason many shops won't. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2016, 08:14:10 PM »
Quick question :

In the past I had the dealer change my tires.  --- This time I took the wheel off myself to bring to the shop.

Do I need to remove the brake rotor off the wheel, or do they work aroud it ??

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2016, 08:40:42 PM »
No. Don't take the rotor off.
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2016, 09:16:35 PM »
Quick question :

In the past I had the dealer change my tires.  --- This time I took the wheel off myself to bring to the shop.

Do I need to remove the brake rotor off the wheel, or do they work aroud it ??

The rotor typically stays in place.
BUT, it you have a marker handy, draw a large arrow showing the direction of rotation on the rotor. Shops can get that mixed up, particularly when they have a bare wheel. So help them out. And the mark will disappear the first time you use the brakes.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2016, 09:49:47 PM »
Neat idea, Wayne. 
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here