Author Topic: Motorcycles that are appliances  (Read 18960 times)

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motorcycles that are appliances
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Probably more character than appliance. Maybe not.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »
If you can dry your gloves on the cylinder heads while you're getting a coffee, it's an appliance.
If you can make toast on the exhaust, it's an appliance.
If it shakes enough to actually make a milkshake, it's an appliance.
Some faired K-bikes look like the side of a refrigerator.

Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »
When I'm on the road I love an appliance bike. Gives the In the Wind feel, but the place I'm going to is as important as the journey in this case so I don't want to worry about not getting there. Comfort and power; the rest is so much meh.

In town, going for coffee, then "character" is OK. But I have too many other hobbies to have bikes with too much character. I think my XR650L is going to character its' self right out of here.

I call the 2 types of bikes Ginger and Mary Ann.

My Scura is Ginger.  Beautiful, charismatic.  Perfect for Sat. night.

But I'm in need of a Mary Ann.  Sensible, reliable.

M
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline gnorts

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Fate l'amore, non la guerra
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »
The biggest "appliance" bike I've ever owned was a GL1800.  It was perfect. It needed me not. I was a gnat on its back.  Same with my ST1300: Too Perfect.  I put over 20,000 miles on each of them so thay had plenty of opportunity to make me love them.

My greatest 2-wheeled loves  were my ST1100, a 400cc Yamaha scooter, and my 750cc Guzzi Breva.  Just something made me love them.

+1 on the ST1300 being "too perfect"  Ultimately competent, with no soul.  I rode one for 30K miles.  When it came time to get rid of one of my two bikes, of course the Griso stayed.  Riding the ST always made me think, "industrial sewing machine."
'15 Griso 1200SE "il razzo rosso"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »

Offline MAC

• Hatchling
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
Seems around here if it's not a Guzzi it's an appliance.Sorry I just love motorcycles.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:23:04 PM by MAC »
Mike Cignarella
1998 EV
2008 Wing
2015 K1600GT

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
Seems around here if it's not a Guzzi it's an appliance.Sorry I just love motorcycles.

:1:
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2016, 11:22:48 PM »
I call the 2 types of bikes Ginger and Mary Ann.

My Scura is Ginger.  Beautiful, charismatic.  Perfect for Sat. night.

But I'm in need of a Mary Ann.  Sensible, reliable.

M

My CB1100 is my Mary Ann. Ginger is fun, long term I prefer Mary Ann. :D
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 09:19:13 AM »
"If you can dry your gloves on the cylinder heads while you're getting a coffee, it's an appliance.
If it shakes enough to actually make a milkshake, it's an appliance."

Soooooo... Guzzi, then? I dry my gloves on the valve covers all the time, and it certainly shakes enough.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »

My thoughts exactly.
Every rider is biased towards his own brand, but most Guzzi riders are very 'dedicated' to put it mildly ;-)
After riding Guzzi's for a very long time, I bought another brand - I had my reasons.
Of course the other bike was an 'appliance' according to this board if not 'a whore' as one distinguished member called it ;-)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:50:00 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
"If you can dry your gloves on the cylinder heads while you're getting a coffee, it's an appliance.
If it shakes enough to actually make a milkshake, it's an appliance."

Soooooo... Guzzi, then? I dry my gloves on the valve covers all the time, and it certainly shakes enough.

Moto Guzzis aren't the only appliances capable of glove-drying or milkshake production :wink:

I like to think of myself as a citizen of the world. I have owned motorcycles from lots of different places and manufacturers. With very few exceptions, I have liked them all. Hell, I'd even consider a US brand if I could buy one here that wasn't a cruiser  :evil:  Yeah, I'm lookin' at you, Motus, c'mon up.

I buy what appeals to me at that particular moment in time. Sadly, my garage can only hold 4 or 5 (or 1 if you talk to my wife), so when the next urge strikes, something has to go in order to make room. I'm not particularly brand-loyal, certainly not to the rabid extent that some are. Life is too short to not experience as much as possible.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
The most appliance like bike I ever rode was a BMW K75. I know K bikes have been mentioned but this is the epitome. Everything was OK. It was smooth, handled acceptibly, and power was adequite. Just didn't push any buttons. At least when I twist the throttle on my Goldwing it jumps out. The K75 not so much.

Pete

canuguzzi

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
I think motorcycling isn't about what you ride, it is that you ride.

Reliability, smoothness and perfection in a bike aren't detractions from motorcycling they are just different than fixing, fiddling and reworking. You can like all of it or just some but its all the joy of motorcycling.

All motorcycles are good ones because in the end they are all just machines that have no soul or character, those things come from the rider, not metal bits and pieces.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »

All motorcycles are good ones because in the end they are all just machines that have no soul or character, those things come from the rider, not metal bits and pieces.

I must admit while to a great extent I agree, I have pondered about that at times.

I have wondered if all those involved in a machine do not in some way impart some of them selves, some  energy to the inanimate item in question.
It would certainly answer some odd questions if that happened, and might impart some sort of 'influence' or 'pesueudo soul' if you prefer to an other wise inanimate object.

I'm reminded of a Triumph that used to be in Invercargill. It was around for quite a while and appeared in a range of guises ranging from tiger stripes  to pink.  The thing is, this triumph sooner or later killed all it's riders. Every singe one of them.  It was freaky.

In the end, the local 'Lads' bought it, stripped it down into parts, then took the parts out on a fishing boat and dumped them at sea.   No one would ever have described these lads as "airy fairy".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:41:41 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
Honda seems to have done a fair amount of unusual work on the CB1100 to give the rider a pretty specific riding experience. In the following link is a story, mainly on the follow on 2014 Deluxe model but some applies to the original version. It's a good read. I find it very interesting that the Honda engineers strove for a very different affect with the CB, something that Moto Guzzi seems to do also.

Naturally, if you happen to like inline fours (or any motor) you'll get it. In any event, what the link provides is a great insight to what one special team at Honda thinks and I think is a great sidebar to this thread.

http://world.honda.com/CB1100/engineer-talk/episode1/
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »
An impressive and interesting read rboe.
I was left with the overwhelming feeling that they were reviving or re-inventing design and engineering techniques and skills that would be the norm in past times.
A bit like a modern boat manufacturer building a wooden boat. They had their virtues indeed, and it's worth keeping the skills and understandings alive.

Frankly though I've always felt that the CB 4 cyclinder bikes were too wide and vibrated too much, after reading this I would be happy to test one out. 
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
I wonder how long it would take for an electric bike to feel like an appliance.
For me, about 6 months.  The first 6 months I owned my Empulse, I'd be out on the twisties quite a bit, enjoying the smooth acceration  and lack of vibration that lets you focus on other aspects of riding.  Then one day, suddenly, it was the most boring thing in the world.

But when it comes to commuting, boring is good, at least 4 out of 5 days.  My office is 20 miles away, but the Empulse makes me feel like it's down the block.  That's how easy it is to cover distance, carry stuff, and slice through traffic.  Monday through Thursday, a commuting appliance is worth its weight in gold.  On Friday, I fire up the Boxer.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

canuguzzi

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2016, 11:30:12 PM »
I must admit while to a great extent I agree, I have pondered about that at times.

I have wondered if all those involved in a machine do not in some way impart some of them selves, some  energy to the inanimate item in question.
It would certainly answer some odd questions if that happened, and might impart some sort of 'influence' or 'pesueudo soul' if you prefer to an other wise inanimate object.

I'm reminded of a Triumph that used to be in Invercargill. It was around for quite a while and appeared in a range of guises ranging from tiger stripes  to pink.  The thing is, this triumph sooner or later killed all it's riders. Every singe one of them.  It was freaky.

In the end, the local 'Lads' bought it, stripped it down into parts, then took the parts out on a fishing boat and dumped them at sea.   No one would ever have described these lads as "airy fairy".

In answer, yes. I think that when you buy a used bike fir example, some of the soul or character of the PO can be seen in the bike, the way it was maintained, modified...cared for. That is evidenced by how it runs.

Imho, a bike off the showroom floor, Guzzi or not, it is nothing until the owner gets on it and rides it.

The bike doesn't make the rider, the rider makes the bike. Even a trashed bike, mundane and bland can appear to be something special if the rider does more than use it as an appliance.

Again imho, a bike is an appliance if the one riding is too.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2016, 12:36:03 AM »
I had a couple of the above mentioned K75 appliances. I once had the bike on the centerstand, and set a nickel on the seat edgewise. I started the bike and revved it up, and the nickel stayed up on edge. I guess some people think that is terrible.  :laugh: The only sensation of speed I ever got riding that bike was the wind, and the tires bumping a bit about 85 mph. Quiet, reliable. Zero drama. It's main fault was it was top heavy at low speed or in the garage. Lots of them got dropped by short legged owners. I liked riding it without the windshield. I often got the sensation I was flying without external means. No real engine noise, just strafing the tarmac at about 30 inches.  :whip2: Definitely not the same as a bike with a lumpier engine, but enjoyable just the same.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Penderic

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2016, 03:50:28 AM »
Forrest Gump has one.

:wink:

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2016, 04:17:34 AM »
Forrest Gump has one.

:wink:
I think that location is Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley, NC.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2016, 07:22:24 AM »

It's been 9 years (!) since I've bought a new Guzzi, so I don't know if Luigi has retired or not, but.. the guy that puts a machine together definitely has an effect on it's "soul". I looked for a picture to no avail, Penderic probably has one.. of Luigi, grease stained undershirt, Carlo cap, cigarette hanging out the corner of his mouth, 2 day growth of beard, and a flask of Grappa in his hip pocket.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2016, 08:38:19 AM »
I think motorcycling isn't about what you ride, it is that you ride.

Reliability, smoothness and perfection in a bike aren't detractions from motorcycling they are just different than fixing, fiddling and reworking. You can like all of it or just some but its all the joy of motorcycling.

NP, I agree with you, so I'm curious why you asked the question to begin with? Certainly you know the kind of answer you're going to get around here :wink:
Jerry
Florida

canuguzzi

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
I think it interesting to read others opinions on this topic. Until recently, I hadn't heard the term appliance used to describe most other bikes than MGs in such a way and not in a kidding sort of way. There had always been the talk about HD bikes but that was a long time ago, the typical rivalry between those riding Japanese bikes and those riding American Iron so to speak.

What I haven't yet noticed is a general term used to describe MG bikes. There is the "quirky" and words like that but usually not so dismissive and exclusionary. Here, the word appliance gets used (it seems to in many cases) as a put down.

I was just curious is all, I like topics that are new.

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »
Here, the word appliance gets used (it seems to in many cases) as a put down.

Well, sure it does! I guess you haven't been here long :wink:
Jerry
Florida

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
I guess I would call my goose an appliance.  Go out to work in the morning, it starts and runs, every day.  Want to go on a trip?  Check the tires and oil and go.

I had another Honda a while back and ended up selling it.  Why?  It wasn't different enough.

Soul?  Not really, just a connection between me and it.  That comes from working on the bike and making it mine.  Not another one like it in the world.  I've ridden newer Guzzi's and they aren't the same as MINE.  :)

Doesn't hurt any that it is different in more ways than one.  Heck most folks comment on the ammo cans first, then they notice it is a wierd brand.

I like my rat, or should I say raT5.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
I've got one of those big, plastic, faired K-bikes that are denigrated as an appliance.

But it's an appliance with ~160 hp, that goes from 80-100 mph in about 3 seconds. My KitchenAid blender never made me say OH FAAAARRRCK when I set it to 10.

So, I really like my BMW. And it doesn't shake me to pieces at stoplights like the Cali 1400 (though it also gets zero attention at those stoplights).  Flame away, friends!
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
I had a couple of the above mentioned K75 appliances. I once had the bike on the centerstand, and set a nickel on the seat edgewise. I started the bike and revved it up, and the nickel stayed up on edge. I guess some people think that is terrible.  :laugh: The only sensation of speed I ever got riding that bike was the wind, and the tires bumping a bit about 85 mph. Quiet, reliable. Zero drama. It's main fault was it was top heavy at low speed or in the garage. Lots of them got dropped by short legged owners. I liked riding it without the windshield. I often got the sensation I was flying without external means. No real engine noise, just strafing the tarmac at about 30 inches.  :whip2: Definitely not the same as a bike with a lumpier engine, but enjoyable just the same.
Starting the bike on the centre stand is probably OK, but NEVER put it in gear and spin it up, certain destruction will result !

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
NP, I agree with you, so I'm curious why you asked the question to begin with? Certainly you know the kind of answer you're going to get around here :wink:
Probably interested in others opinions, he'll have to be careful though, that's just the sort of behaviour that'll catch on...

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

"Christine" as a motorcycle?
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
Guzzi Hero I agree!!  PC800 I have two one stripping down for adventure bike set up another is my tow truck to get my 1976 Two strokes to the mountains!!  Of course my RD400 and GT500 run a close second..

76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here