Author Topic: Deal in Vancouver WA , Swooshdave beat us to it  (Read 12917 times)

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
Re: Deal in Vancouver WA , Swooshdave beat us to it
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 10:17:52 AM »
Someone said if the hoses let go you'd lose old pressure. I'd like to here what's more major than that.

I replaced the hoses with custom made stainless braided units. Was a major PITA to install or remove. One needed small hands to get the hoses attached internally.
Then one day I discovered that the pickup tube doesn't have any screen on it. There was a tiny piece of lock washer in the bottom of the sump. As I was pushing the bike hard through a corner in a small town in Kentucky, that tiny piece got sucked up and sheared the oil pump.
One reason to replace the split lockwashers on the rocker pivots with Schnoor washers, as recommended by Guzziology.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
I replaced the hoses with custom made stainless braided units. Was a major PITA to install or remove. One needed small hands to get the hoses attached internally.
Then one day I discovered that the pickup tube doesn't have any screen on it. There was a tiny piece of lock washer in the bottom of the sump. As I was pushing the bike hard through a corner in a small town in Kentucky, that tiny piece got sucked up and sheared the oil pump.
One reason to replace the split lockwashers on the rocker pivots with Schnoor washers, as recommended by Guzziology.

Can you put a screen on the intake?
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
 :1: on what Chris said.  I'll check mine in Sept. when I come back to Portland and prep the bike for more travel.  Biggest problem, I've had so far was with the oil filter rubbing on the H crossover and leaking oil over the back end.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »

On the trailer means it's mine.  :cool:
--
2001 V11 Sport

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »

A few shots outside after wiping down some of the bits. Also installed the side covers and removed the battery. Battery was dry so won't hold much of a charge.  :weiner:
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 10:41:34 PM »

Police side stand?

K&N Filters

Starting to make a list of the rusty bits and will replace with stainless.
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 10:46:09 PM »
Way better sidestand than my CX, last week I watched it slowly lean over as the mounting plate came apart at the bolt hole.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 850T added to the stable
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 11:30:17 PM »
Good purchase!! Looks like most of the major bits are there. 80K is not particularly high mileage for a Guzzi. You won't know until you open her up though. I have rebuilt two vintage Guzzis, both had approx. 30K miles, and both had no measurable wear on any of the major bearing surfaces. I just finished working on a BMW R75/6 with 80K this past winter and also no measurable wear anywhere. I did clean up the Airhead's valves and seats and install new seals and gaskets. Clutch may need attention. Both Guzzis I restored were originally parked because of clutch issues. Clutch plates fell apart on one bike and the other was contaminated with oil from the gearbox. As several folks have mentioned, if the chrome-lined cylinders have not already been replaced on this bike you will want to get a set of these:

I had a later model T with the oil filter in the sump but elected to move the filter to a more accessible location with a Harper's "Outsider" that you can see here:

I also added a set of these which sounded REALLY nice!

You can hear the bike running here:

https://youtu.be/feaMr_ZvH3c

As I said above, I really miss my T and it is the one bike I really regret selling. The Tonti frame is spectacular. I think you will have fun with this bike and you will enjoy riding it.

Tobin
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:36:51 PM by tpeever »
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 11:32:42 PM »

Police side stand

Yep. The other type doesn't work worth crap. Does it have a center stand?
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

canuck750

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »
If you are not particular about original get a new combo light / signal / horn switch from MG Cycle and sell the original ones on Ebay, they command a big price as they are the same as on the 1st gen Le Mans. You can add another disc, buy a pair of new Brembo calipers from MG Cycle and a replace the old master cylinder. People will pay good money for the original master cylinder, the disc V7 Sport and some early Ducati twins used it.

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »
If you are not particular about original get a new combo light / signal / horn switch from MG Cycle and sell the original ones on Ebay, they command a big price as they are the same as on the 1st gen Le Mans. You can add another disc, buy a pair of new Brembo calipers from MG Cycle and a replace the old master cylinder. People will pay good money for the original master cylinder, the disc V7 Sport and some early Ducati twins used it.

Agreed. Fit a new 13mm Brembo MC and a stainless line and you will have a decent front brake
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 01:06:48 AM »
Someone said if the hoses let go you'd lose old pressure. I'd like to here what's more major than that.

It's a design nightmare.  All those hoses are immersed in seething hot oil all the time.  They need to be inspected regularly (yearly) for the afore mentioned failures.  To inspect them you have to drop the pan.  Look at how the oil blocks are situated . . .  The only way to drop the pan with those year-old hoses all stiff in there (to inspect the hoses) is to cut the darn hoses.  At $20/ft for high pressure immersion oil hose, it gets old in a hurry.  When you consider the knuckle-busting chore it is to accomplish the inspection while standing on your head in a puddle of oil it gets older, faster. 

But wait -- to get to the part where you're standing on your head, you first have to fish for the hoses with your k-bar through a hose-stiffened opening only slightly narrower than a standard K-bar.  Extra points if you don't shave either the mating surfaces or your fingers as you blindly saw at what you hope is a hose and not your left rod nut.  Or any other nut.

Then there's the problem of getting the floor jack to balance.  The wedge shape doesn't "sit" well. 

But I'm ahead of myself.  Assembly is the reverse . . .    :violent1:

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »
Yep. The other type doesn't work worth crap. Does it have a center stand?

Ys, but I haven't gotten it onto the center stand yet. May need a crane. I get spoiled with the Commando center stand, which is a joy to use.
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »

Switch the 850GT to dual disks. Not interested in doing that to the Guzzi.
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:04 AM »
I'll take an original sump, if anyone has one.
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »
Have someone show you centerstand technique.  Done right, the bike climbs its own way up it like one of Pete's goats on a stripper pole.

1) drop stand till it touches
2) place toe BEHIND the part that touched
3) pull straight UPWARD on the grab handle*.

*If no grab handle, a Harley folding footpeg installed upside down near the top shock mount makes a good handle to pull up with.

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »
Have someone show you centerstand technique.  Done right, the bike climbs its own way up it like one of Pete's goats on a stripper pole.

*If no grab handle, a Harley folding footpeg installed upside down near the top shock mount makes a good handle to pull up with.

I put a centerstand on my Hinckley Bonneville. It takes a similar technique.
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2016, 09:29:27 PM »

Yep, Guzzi centerstand is a beautiful thing but ya gotta have the correct technique! I would modify the above to include:

"place right toe on top of the curvy part sticking up and push your weight down on it while pulling up and back on the grab handle. All in one fluid motion"

There are Youtube videos describing the technique for Airhead BMWs which have exactly the same type of centerstand. Both are way better than the Commando centerstand once you get the technique down!!
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »

Switch the 850GT to dual disks. Not interested in doing that to the Guzzi.

No need to. If you fit a smaller diameter master cylinder (stock is 15mm and is too large), stainless line, and modern pads, you will have a perfectly acceptable front brake IMO. Exactly the same modifications that are done routinely to the Lockheed front brake on the Commando. Greg Field told me once that when Guzzi (and presumably Norton and other manufacturers as well) first introduced the hydraulic front disc, they purposely built them with a too large master cylinder so that the brake feel would not be that different from the drum brakes used at the time. To prevent riders from throwing themselves over the bars. Not sure if this is true or not but it makes a great story and also tells us that these single front discs from the early 70's can be greatly improved with a little effort. You also end up with much lower unsprung weight compared to fitting dual discs. I sleeved the MC on my Commando down to 13 mm and fitted a modern 13 mm Brembo MC on my 850T and both single discs were transformed into perfectly adequate brakes. Of course nothing like the fantastic Brembo stoppers on my 1200 Sport but perfectly adequate for me. I plan to make the same modification to my Airhead.
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »
Yes. I have a sleeved master on my Norton and it's quite lovely.
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »

Added some stainless bling. Looks nicer than the rusty screws.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:10:36 PM by swooshdave »
--
2001 V11 Sport

canuck750

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2016, 10:29:38 PM »
Ah bling.

Getting rid of rusted fasteners makes a huge difference, its' a nice bike glad you are saving it.

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 12:51:42 AM »
Ah bling.

Getting rid of rusted fasteners makes a huge difference, its' a nice bike glad you are saving it.

I'm going to need help. I already can't sleep with that Bub sump on there! Mercy!
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »
Fresh tires and a new battery on order. Now if I can only find a stock sump...
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
Be patient grasshopper......ch eck with the local club and swap meet on the forum.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2016, 05:05:31 PM »
This one will do it, but it's my 2nd-least favorite of the oil filter sumps.  I'd prefer either a deep sump, a standard sump with a spacer, or a deep sump or spacer with an outside oil filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-CONVERT-V1000-V-1000-75-76-ENGINE-OIL-PAN-SUMP-BOLTS-/371616276145?hash=item56860e5eb1:g:Uj4AAOSw2x1XKRCU&vxp=mtr

There are a few ebay sellers who specialize in Guzzi breaking, and there are a couple of regular suspects on this site who can probably fix you up from their used parts bin.  I'll leave it to others to mention shop names.  Some of the ebay sellers are lamontsanford, Pinwall Cycle, Suncoast Cycle, and guzzi renew (last may be one word).

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2016, 05:13:37 PM »
He says that he doesn't ship parcel post to Hawaii.  WoW!  Mail system works out here like the rest of the U.S.  :tongue:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »
He says that he doesn't ship parcel post to Hawaii.  WoW!  Mail system works out here like the rest of the U.S.  :tongue:

I didn't check shipping.  I get these Micky-D's counter help-level mentalities all the time telling me "everyone knows you can't ship US mail to Alaska", "Gotta 'surcharge' that package because everybody knows we need more money to ship to Alaska", "we only ship to the USA", "Can't accept Alaskan currency"  and other complete bullshit.  I'm sure they'll get rich NOT serving 90% of the planet, but it will take longer.  I just tell them that if they want to play mail order, they need to understand the "mail" part, and then I move on to a seller who can pull his head out of his ass long enough to read a postage meter.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2016, 06:24:50 PM »
Yeah.....same sentiments here for the exact same reasons.  YMMV but I'm sure the rates are the same to ship to Guam, APO & FPO's.  Might take a little longer.  Using USPS Priority Mail.  I had a package of parts from NYC in 3 1/2 days.  The check in an envelope took 5 days with first class postage.......I'm confused.  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:   :grin:

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »
Yes. I have a sleeved master on my Norton and it's quite lovely.

You will have an equally effective and possibly better brake on your T if you follow the same route. Of course you will have to ditch the classic Italian switchgear so it all depends on how you stand on originality versus function!! I am debating right now whether to ditch the stock front brake setup on my R75/6. It is a really funky setup including an under-tank master cylinder actuated by cable from the bar. Very un-German engineering if you ask me. It functions OK for a 1976 brake but a handlebar mounted master cylinder and stainless line should improve it greatly. Same issue though is that stock switchgear has to go which puts a big divot in the originality of the bike. Decisions, decisions!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:01:52 PM by tpeever »
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here