Author Topic: what do you do on Super Bowl Sunday?  (Read 7747 times)

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
Re: what do you do on Super Bowl Sunday?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
That's a valid view. Let me put it to you in a different way.

If you had a multibillion dollar business, employing thousands of people and generating 13 billion annually, and made, lets say....cars. And you could buy a machine that would increase revenue and insure that your company would be number one in its market for the operational life of the machine, say 15 years, what would that machine cost?  answer: tens of millions That ratio would be RIDICULOUSLY favorable for any business, ensuring thousands of jobs and food and shelter for thousands of people for a decade and a half....no community would shun that opportunity.

The players are the machines. short life span. disproportionate ROI. As a business model - taking away the names and the 10 pound gold chains... it's not about them. The cities do this because is reaps outrageous revenue benefits. Now, if you want to blame someone for the limited "ripple" effect, I won't stop you. In Jacksonville, they have an owner who is pouring money back into the city, and they absolutely worship the guy.  Reinsdorf in Chicago is another who maintains a pretty positive civic reputation. What are the Packers worth to Wisconsin's economy? I think it's a little more complex than we give it credit for.

The Sports franchises CAN have tremendous positive impact while being profitable and employing thousands.

The only sport I watch is Boxing.  I have never seen a football player the picked up gloves not get is ass kicked.
As far as pouring money back into the community let them build there own stadiums. Would anyone use taxpayer money to build a factory and keep it open 7 days a year?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

BigDave in PA

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 03:44:16 PM »
Anything but watch football.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
I have zero interest in football, or any other sport other than motorcycle racing. Sunday should be a great day to take a ride on my trike with my wife, in the Tucson area.
The roads are usually empty on SBS, and that just fine with me.
I also was surprised at how many Guzzisti here have no interest in the superbowl !
Some of my friends think its almost "Un American" :grin:
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »
 :bike-037:ride my old honda. im not into most sports.
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »

I also was surprised at how many Guzzisti here have no interest in the superbowl !

Rick

After 30 people have come out and implied that you'd have to be some sort of sad loser to spend time watching the Super Bowl, we probably won't have anyone now that will claim to watch it ... !!    :laugh:   :laugh: 
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 04:50:02 PM »
I've tried, Lannis.  A couple times many years ago, I was convinced that the party would be tons of fun.  "Come on over, we'll have plenty of food and beer, and it'll be a great time, even if you're not a football fan."  The problem was that no decent conversations ever got going, because everyone kept getting distracted by the tube.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
I've tried, Lannis.  A couple times many years ago, I was convinced that the party would be tons of fun.  "Come on over, we'll have plenty of food and beer, and it'll be a great time, even if you're not a football fan."  The problem was that no decent conversations ever got going, because everyone kept getting distracted by the tube.

And it's worse .... Even if you wanted to watch football, you can't, because people are talking and hoo-hawing all through the football part of it.

THEN at halftime, they're all glued to the tube making sure they've seen the Commercials so they can be authorities at the water cooler the next day, and watch some superannuated rock star who had had his day in the 60s strut around lip-synching some old song to fireworks and the Solid Gold Dancers ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
Wow, that's super cool. I didn't know you could run a stove on maple syrup.

Actually, it is Hot... and yes, the Maple Surple is great fuel albeit  a bit of a sticky wicket....

:boozing:
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
sharpen my pocket knife,        and cut up limes for game time margaritas.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »
Since I am presently without a motorcycle and hail from Massachusetts (origionally) I will watch the game.  jHope the Pats win.  I sometimes watch hockey, usually football because they half halftime where I can leave, run an errand, and come back.
Used to prefer soccer but professionals throwing themselves on the ground seeking fouls no longer seems sensible.
Football is getting a bit  weird so I may fade more time to do other things.  Seeing men dance etc after doing their job correctly. 
Baseball puts me to sleep (all too easy a thing these days) and Basketball no longer interests me.  Kinda lost interest after Bill Russell retired. 

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 07:06:08 PM »
Work.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 10:10:18 PM »
Interesting answers but not totally unexpected.  I figure that I (we) are in a very small minority of folks in our general age group that really don't care about watching the Super Bowl.  I personally have never watched one, and I could count on one hand the number of professional sporting events I've suffered through.  Occasionally, I'll watch part of a game with a son who is into it and here at our house,  but I'll be happy to go outside and participate in many sports, although I think full contact, equipmentless football is probably out for me as is long distance running and quite a few more.

But the question is what will we do.  I am planning on helping with a controlled burn tomorrow, and, if the weather is right, I might do that again Sunday.  I have been invited to bird hunt with our youngest son and bring along my GSP who hasn't had many opportunities to find birds.  I have to change the oil in my wife's truck for a possible trip to Arkansas within the next two weeks.  I want to mow out some strips for hunting in our sorghum fields that weren't harvested.  I have to check on my hog bait spots in preparation for next weekend's hunt.  I still need to fix the gas leak on the EV.  I have a good bit of storm damage debris to pile up and burn.  Then there's building the sandbox for the grandchildren, filling stump holes in the pasture, shooting the wife's new .380 and making sure she is checked out on it.

These are things I have planned for weekends, but I never get caught up and add more all the time.

One thing is certain, if it's raining and I'm inside, I sure won't be watching the ball game :wink:
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »
no offense to folks in colder climates but . . . empty roads? . . duh . . . ride!
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 10:43:01 AM »
I have friends in Chicago who have a big shindig every year. Being Bears fans they don't have to worry about needing to watch the actual game, since they have no stake in the outcome. I'm distracted by all the hype the ads and the halftime, no use for it at all. But as stated here, that's fodder for the party in their case. The game itself is just something to look at during breaks in socializing.

I AM interested in the game, and what i do nowadays is I start the game, and hit pause for fifteen minutes, then sit down and watch, fast forwarding through the ads. At halftime I hit pause again and do something else, make food or what ever, then do the same for the second half. The upshot of this is I finish the game at the same time as the rest of the world, only seeing THE GAME, without the blather of the ads and the halftime massacre. I can then have my post game phone calls with friends or family who cared. Sports have changed, for sure, but I still appreciate the competition, and the fact that it's spontaneous, the outcome is never assured, and occasionally, something remarkable happens.

And, I happen to be Patriots fan. Only football team I've ever rooted for. Tomorrow is a big day.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
 Like the Kid , I will probably watch the game . Yeah , we are a bunch of rugged individualists here , and would never admit to watching something that about 1/2 of the population in 'Murica will watch . Kind of like people that talk about how they never ever watch TV or popular movies , and yet can quote dialogue from both  :evil: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
Yea, I know a guy that says he never watches TV but can quote from every episode of South Park and most British sitcoms on public TV.

We're planning a nice dinner, maybe shrimp and grits but we won't watch the game. Maybe half time to see Tony Bennett and Gag-a
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
Yea, I know a guy that says he never watches TV but can quote from every episode of South Park and most British sitcoms on public TV.

We're planning a nice dinner, maybe shrimp and grits but we won't watch the game. Maybe half time to see Tony Bennett and Gag-a

Never said I don't watch smart TV  :laugh: Mostly LOTSW and Doc Martin , lost track of South Park , no cable .

Dusty

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
When I was younger I watched the Superbowl and it was usually a let down.  Now older I might check it for a few minutes to see if it's worth watching the 2nd half if there is some real competition.   Don't really care who wins but since the Pats are favored if the other team wins that would be  :cool:   :boozing:

Looking forward to watching the Phoenix Open golf before the SB, that's where my real interest is since I watch a lot of pro golf nowadays.  :azn:

Before I think about riding again I need to do some maintenance first and am waiting for the weather to warm up like it is now.  If Feb. stays warmer like it is I will be turning to on my bike/scooter rigs to get them all operational again.  :bike-037:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »
I've a couple of racks of St Louis cut ribs that will go in the smoker tomorrow.   :food:

Prolly have some beer and cigars too, maybe scotch.   :evil:

And some time before I pop a top, I'll do some riding tomorrow if the weather clears.  :bike-037:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuck750

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
I am going to set up the carbs and timing on my Laverda, then fiddle with a few small jobs on my 750S.

Football?? never watch it, or any other sport for that matter except the occassional motorcycle race or the very odd hockey game.

I just don't get the 'fan' thing, its like bragging about your brothers car, what's it got to do with you :thewife: :thewife:

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
I'll do some chores around the house. Maybe go to the Y. We might go out to eat that night. My wife said something about wanting to see some commercials on tv... :shocked:
North Carolina

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »
This morning at 8am, it was sunny and dry. No ice on the street and i decided to ride to the Guzzi breakfast.

At 9:00 clouds were rolling in and the temperature was dropping. At 10:00 I decided to take the car 😅.

The game comes on at 11pm. I'll watch it whilst reclining on the sofa. I'll be rooting for the NFC and an exciting game.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
This game doesn't seem to interest me...maybe it's the teams? Not sure...In the past I've realized it's sad when you are looking forward to the commercials and they let you down too lol.
Luckily I will be in a recording session with a stand up bass player and a mandolin player working on documentary background music.

:grin:

2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »
Luckily I will be in a recording session with a stand up bass player and a mandolin player working on documentary background music.

It's nice to know that at least some music of that type is still made by actual musicians.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
looks like im going to  try to fix my jeep. then gas up my bike after that who knows. was going to ride. proably not too day.
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »
Neither Cookie nor I have ever been sports fans, so we will probably watch a movie here at home It is 40° and rainy in the Seattle area. I might ride out for a Sunday paper.
Oh, it is our 17th wedding anniversary so, at some point today, I might get lucky!
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

oldbike54

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
 Bill , seems you are already "lucky"  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »
And, I happen to be Patriots fan. Only football team I've ever rooted for. Tomorrow is a big day.

<sigh> And I used to like you, Kip..  :evil: :smiley: and you live in Indiana, too.. <shaking head>

Actually, I spent the last two days prepping and smoking pastrami for Rubens. Dorcia's sister and Harley Bob are coming over for our Christmas gift exchange. (!) We.. and especially they travel a lot. It's the first time we've both been home since December.  :smiley:
Yeah, we'll watch even though the Colts aren't playing, and won't be until they get this coaching problem sorted out..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
Harley Bob? 
I thought Dorcia's sister was married to Cessna Bob   :laugh:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here