Author Topic: My last Garmin GPS - ever  (Read 13025 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
My last Garmin GPS - ever
« on: September 08, 2017, 02:45:13 PM »
Do you own a Garmin product? If so, please go out and buy all the accessories and repair parts you will ever need for it as soon as you can make a list. Better yet, when you buy the GPS in the first place, you should anticipate all the vehicles you will ever use the unit in and buy a full set of mounts and cables for each of those not yet purchased vehicles.

Owners of the Garmin 66x series devices, including those who got them as onboard accessories with their bike (BMW, Honda, HD, etc.) are basically SOL even though the products are less than 2 years off the shelf. I spoke with Garmin today to confirm that all accessories for those devices are discontinued, and almost all are no longer available from Garmin or its retailers. The items left are things like the rain cover for the mount.

If your mount has a bad pin? You now are the proud owner of a paperweight. It's a nice, heavy fully functioning paperweight, but it won't be useful on your motorcycle any more. You can update the maps and the device itself is still officially 'supported' - it just won't be useful in any meaningful way. Are you buying a new bike? Garmin says you should buy a new GPS, because they won't sell you the mount that allows you to move the device from one vehicle to another. So much for the value in that quick-connect dock...

When you buy a product you are investing in the company that makes it. You can make a small investment and be ready to write it off with little fuss, but motorcycle-specific GPS devices are not in that class for most of us. Would the people who are spending $750 and more to put a current Zumo on their bike be happy if in two years they were told that their device was going to be crippled by a decision to stop selling an accessory like the cradle? Garmin apparently thinks they would accept that.

I won't. My new bike will have a GPS on it. It won't come from Garmin, nor will any future GPS product I buy.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: My last Garmin GPS - ever
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
I sympathize.  I bought a Pelouze shipping scale and used it for a few years.  One day it started acting flaky so I emailed the company.  I was told that it was too old and they didn't have any parts or service available for it, but that I could buy one of their new models.  I asked the nice lady what she thought the chances were that I'd buy another Pelouze scale when they quit supporting them four years after they were manufactured.  Of course there was no answer.

I then bought a My Weigh scale with a lifetime warranty, and so far it's a much nicer scale for about the same price.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
TomTom Rider...$299 with all of the accessories...just as good.

Buy 2 of them to have a backup.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
TomTom Rider...$299 with all of the accessories...just as good.

Buy 2 of them to have a backup.

I've had a TomTom before (550 XXL) - good, but the support was a bit lacking. The maps also aren't quite as good for North America, but they don't take you onto dirt as often as Garmin and they have better speed limit data. I'll probably get one again. BTW, the current TomTom Rider 400 is $400, so not as cheap as they once were.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
Yes, that sux. I've been shopping for a 660 cradle now for months. The unit is from my '15 GSA.

Unfortunately I'm a fan of the Garmin products, nut'n better, but post production product support is not their strong point.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »
I'll do a minor thread drift if you don't mind:  I'm facing the possibility that my BLU phablet isn't coming home again.  As I look for possible replacements (I use it primarily as a phone and GPS platform, so there's your topical content) I see the term "unlocked" applied to some devices.  What the heck does that mean?

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
To me, buying a new stand alone GPS makes as much sense as buying a new VCR. I moved on to a iPhone mount and couldn't be happier. The apps like WASE and other map apps are better than any nav unit I have used. The screen is brighter and if I wanted, I could use the Bluetooth to get directions to my Sena communicator.

Plus I already own it and never leave the house without it.

1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:01 PM »
[Rusnak_322] - Yes, but you've already decided to pay the data plan charges for that gadget for the rest of your life - some of us are reluctant to make that commitment yet (snapping red suspenders) and are more comfortable with standalone devices.

[Rodekyll], is "unlocked" anything like "jailbreak"? I believe it applies to defeating the manufacturers safeguards, sometimes at the hardware level on a circuit board, to enable the gadget to be used in manners unintended by the original manufacturer.

And thank you, [ITSec] - I just bought my first Garmin, I'll go buy supporting widgetry this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 04:26:46 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »
Norm, I understand what you're saying, but not what it means to a phablet user.  Why/how would it benefit me?

Offline Viker

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
I'll do a minor thread drift if you don't mind:  I'm facing the possibility that my BLU phablet isn't coming home again.  As I look for possible replacements (I use it primarily as a phone and GPS platform, so there's your topical content) I see the term "unlocked" applied to some devices.  What the heck does that mean?

If this is a cellular device, then "unlocked" usually means that it's not artificially limited to work on a single carrier (as a phone contracted from a carrier store might be).

It may still be technologically limited, eg GSM for GSM cellular networks, CDMA for a CDMA network, can-and-string for a treehouse network

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
love my garmin montana 650T

they have a newer one now the 680T and they use the same amps mounts as the 650's

great GPS can be used off AA batteries, or use the powered mount, you can use all the maps in it from hiking to marine or aviation.

Has great memory built in and can save 100,000 way points you put in and thousands of routes.

I am still using NT2014 maps in it and really should update them but I mainly use it for backroad riding and those don't change much or ever.
It is also meets IPX7 water resistance, so no need for special covers for it.
And has a built in camera as well.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
1) no you don't have to have a data plan, or any plan, for a cell phone to operate as a tablet (or GPS).  Don't even need the SIM card installed.  Just use a local WiFi (like McDonald's) to do any downloads you need.  After that it does not need a data connection.

2)  GPS hardware support sucks, from all the companies.  i think I have my last Garmin product as well.  I like stand alone devices but I won't keep paying for new ones just because the company decides to stop supporting them.  At least I can still download maps for old devices.  My Magellan became a boat anchor after two years because they didn't even have updated maps for that device.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 05:27:50 PM »
[Rusnak_322] - Yes, but you've already decided to pay the data plan charges for that gadget for the rest of your life - some of us are reluctant to make that commitment yet (snapping red suspenders) and are more comfortable with standalone devices.

You don't need a data plan or even cell service to use a smart phone.  Copilot lets you download maps when you're in range of a LAN.  I downloaded maps for all of North America.

(typed in parallel with charlie b.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:28:40 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 05:42:47 PM »

Unlocked means it is not tied to a specific cellular service provider. It can use any service provider that supports the frequencies (wavelengths) and encoding method (GSM or CDMA) that the device can use. BTW, the dominant CDMA companies are VerizonT-Mobile and Sprint; the dominant GSM companies are AT&T and the others. Most unlocked devices are GSM only, but support multiple frequency bands and so you can choose between several carriers who support GSM. A few devices (such as my Moto G4 phone) have multi-frequency radios and support both GSM and CDMA, and can be used with almost any carrier worldwide.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

bobrebos

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
To me, buying a new stand alone GPS makes as much sense as buying a new VCR. I moved on to a iPhone mount and couldn't be happier. The apps like WASE and other map apps are better than any nav unit I have used. The screen is brighter and if I wanted, I could use the Bluetooth to get directions to my Sena communicator.

Must be something wrong with my iphone then because I cant see the screen hardly at all when its sunny out......  :sad:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 05:44:06 PM »
One word: Smartphone.

Or is that two?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline V7Record

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
When my Garmin shared duty between car and bike I used the cradle in the car and then used a Nite Ize Steelie magnetic mount on the bike.
I only used their magnetic half (2 of them, belt and suspenders) and bought the steel balls from McMaster Carr (they sell drilled/threaded steel ball bearings essentially). 
This can be rotated and seems to be very solid and safe thus far.
Easy to build another mount for another vehicle or move to a new gps device.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »

That would work, except that phones aren't weather resistant and almost all GPS apps for them are dependent on map information and supporting functionality held in the cloud rather than on the device. Yes, you can sometimes download the data, but you still have to be somewhere that makes downloading practical or even possible. The cost of data plans for situations where WiFi is not present is also an issue. If you ride where I do in the west, you're out of coverage (for either!) more than you are in it. In addition, combining a PC-based mapping and planning app with a GPS gives much more flexibility in planning than any phone app (though Google Maps is starting to get close).
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »
I just wish everyone would STAY THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!  :boozing:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »

I was going to promise that I would - then I remembered, I'm buying a Stelvio!  :evil:
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »
I was going to promise that I would - then I remembered, I'm buying a Stelvio!  :evil:

You'll get bitten by a Tiger 🐯 in my yard!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
Unlocked means it is not tied to a specific cellular service provider. It can use any service provider that supports the frequencies (wavelengths) and encoding method (GSM or CDMA) that the device can use. BTW, the dominant CDMA companies are VerizonT-Mobile and Sprint; the dominant GSM companies are AT&T and the others. Most unlocked devices are GSM only, but support multiple frequency bands and so you can choose between several carriers who support GSM. A few devices (such as my Moto G4 phone) have multi-frequency radios and support both GSM and CDMA, and can be used with almost any carrier worldwide.

If this is a cellular device, then "unlocked" usually means that it's not artificially limited to work on a single carrier (as a phone contracted from a carrier store might be).

It may still be technologically limited, eg GSM for GSM cellular networks, CDMA for a CDMA network, can-and-string for a treehouse network

That's what I need to know, thanks!

Returning you now to the burning issue of who gets to be on the lawn . . . .

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 06:21:53 PM »
I'm no fan of the motorcycle-specific GPS units. They seem costly - and now you say there are compatibility issues. So I suppose I will never get one.

I use a Garmin In-Reach Explorer handheld device, which is waterproof. It sends the GPS signal to my phone via bluetooth (no data plan needed - and it works even when there is no mobile phone coverage). On my recent trip to  Europe, I downloaded all the maps for Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy to my phone. Then I turned on the tracking and got a line that showed where I had been (and current location). I had all the convenience of looking at a map like I was using google-maps, but it was super-fast and I didn't need to be connected to phone or data service. Still had a paper map as backup, but didn't need to use it.

While I like this device, it lacks standard navigation features, like turn-by-turn directions. But I don't value that feature very much.  I liked a lot of features of my older 60CX handheld better, but the phone integration and free map downloads on the new unit are fabulous - and seem to be worth the trade-off so far.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
You'll get bitten by a Tiger 🐯 in my yard!

Are you the guy who's tiger escaped in shipment, or is it a Triumph Tiger?

Maybe we can get a lawnmower attachment for the Stelvio.

The government inspector who will be camped out in my office later this month rides with his smart phone giving him directions via the bluetooth to his helmet. I've already prepared my wife for when we break down and smartphone up that I'll have to do a helmet upgrade - although frankly the thought of a surprise voice in my ear while riding alarms me.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
Must be something wrong with my iphone then because I cant see the screen hardly at all when its sunny out......  :sad:

Same here, iPhone 5s.   I also have many Android tablets (at work, I'm an app developer), none of which are bright enough to use in direct sunlight.

My Garmin (550) is.    So, for now, so long as it (and its dock) keeps working, I'll use it.

Also, because the Garmin has a resistive, instead of capacitive touch screen (smart phones and tablets), touch screen, it works with ANY gloves.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 07:41:59 PM »
That would work, except that phones aren't weather resistant and almost all GPS apps for them are dependent on map information and supporting functionality held in the cloud rather than on the device. Yes, you can sometimes download the data, but you still have to be somewhere that makes downloading practical or even possible. The cost of data plans for situations where WiFi is not present is also an issue. If you ride where I do in the west, you're out of coverage (for either!) more than you are in it. In addition, combining a PC-based mapping and planning app with a GPS gives much more flexibility in planning than any phone app (though Google Maps is starting to get close).

I am surprised that you are not aware of the phone apps and their capabilities when not connected to the cell networks.  All of the 'real' GPS mapping programs download maps to the phone  (CoPilot, Tom-Tom, Garmin, OSMand, Locus, etc, etc).  Google and those other browser based programs are the ones tied to data networks.  My only problem with not being in cell range was not having active weather radar updates.  It only takes an hour of WiFi time to upload the US maps on mine.  Last time I did it while at a hotel for an evening.  When not in cell range I have full functioning mapping apps (including my topographic maps for the area I am hiking on that trip).

You can still plan on a PC and connect to the phone (not as seamless as Garmin's Basecamp, but, that is a horrible program to try to use).  It just takes converting the data to whichever GPS mapping app you choose for your phone.

Weather.  Some of the newer phones are as water resistant as some of the motorcycle GPS units.  I have not tested mine by submerging it for 30min, but, it has been under water twice now with no ill effects.  Hiked with it in the rain as well.

Sunlight.  My iPhone 5 was not very good in sunlight.  My Samsung S5 and S7 are very good.  When mounted on the handle bars I oriented them more vertical to almost eliminate the glare issue.

The only downside I had with the phone was needing to use screen friendly gloves.  I could never get those things to work well with the phone screen.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »
I downloaded the maps of OHIO and WV to my phone before I left on a trip because I know cell service was non existent where I was going.
The iPhone 7 screen was way better than my non motorcycle specific GPS I used to use. Plus the maps are automatically updated and the points of interest are more accurate. My old GPS with newer maps would take me to gas stations that looked to have been shut down for years.

I did drop my phone earlier this year when messing around pulling a little wheelie off a hill. Cracked the screen and cost me $129 at the Apple Store but still worked. I had to have been going 70+ when it fell. I secured it a lot better now. You can also get water proof cases for cheap for phones.
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 08:14:58 PM »

You can still plan on a PC and connect to the phone (not as seamless as Garmin's Basecamp, but, that is a horrible program to try to use).  It just takes converting the data to whichever GPS mapping app you choose for your phone.

Weather.  Some of the newer phones are as water resistant as some of the motorcycle GPS units.  I have not tested mine by submerging it for 30min, but, it has been under water twice now with no ill effects.  Hiked with it in the rain as well.

The only downside I had with the phone was needing to use screen friendly gloves.  I could never get those things to work well with the phone screen.

I primarily use a combination of Basecamp, Streets & Trips (no longer updated but still invaluable), and Tyre - I can do plans with these three that I just can't do with the phone software. All my tools produce GPX format waypoint files that can be read by most all GPS units; admittedly, the ones from S&T have to be tweaked but that's not surprising given that it's orphaned software. And yes, Basecamp can be horrible - but once you understand its horrors and know how to work with it, it is extremely capable. Tyre is dependent on Internet connectivity, but is perhaps the most user friendly tool of all.

A phone itself may be weather-resistant, but what about that USB charging cable? If you ride long distances (as I do) and the phone is active (i.e., the display is on and the CPU is actively updating the device's location and recalculating) a battery doesn't cut it. Phones are basically splash-proof - not full weather-proof (with a couple of expensive exceptions). Water-proof cases exist, but they don't allow for charging. An added issue is the miserable state of cradle designs for phones.

I do know many riders who use automotive GPS units and take steps to protect the charging ports and cables - and throw a Ziploc over the unit when the rain starts. I've done this myself in the past. It's a kludge. Some have gone as far as developing techniques to waterproof a non-waterproof GPS (the Garmin 2797 was popular for this). At some point, doesn't the effort and expense move you to the same overall cost as the motorcycle-specific unit?

Use while wearing gloves is a mandatory. I often have to do things like turning on the 'where's the next gas' point of interest display, or making other on-the-fly adjustments. Yes, I know 'you're not supposed to' do things while operating a vehicle - at least I'm not texting or looking at the kids in the back seat!
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »

Hey I ride where the GPS tells me to go!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
I just got a new one off of e bay. Can't get the damn thing to work<shrug>

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here