Author Topic: My last Garmin GPS - ever  (Read 12920 times)

Moto

Re: My last Garmin GPS - ever
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »
I do know many riders who use automotive GPS units and take steps to protect the charging ports and cables - and throw a Ziploc over the unit when the rain starts. I've done this myself in the past. It's a kludge. Some have gone as far as developing techniques to waterproof a non-waterproof GPS (the Garmin 2797 was popular for this). At some point, doesn't the effort and expense move you to the same overall cost as the motorcycle-specific unit?

I insert my automotive TomTom into a rain-proof handlebar mount that cost less than $20. I think they are marketed as much to bicycle riders as to us. Never had a single problem, even when attacked by a derecho down South in a multi-day downpour, one that ripped my tank bag right off its attaching magnets. (By the way, the touch screen works fine right through the plastic window, with my gloves on.)

Moto

P.S. Here's the mount I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Handlebar-Water-Resistant-4-3-inch-Magellan/dp/B003FMUP0K/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1504924113&sr=8-15&keywords=gps+handlebar+mount+motorcycle
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:33:10 PM by Moto »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 10:31:29 PM »
I just got a new one off of e bay. Can't get the damn thing to work<shrug>

Try talking to it in a stern voice .

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »
On a two day ride on the old T-3 exploring the eastern part of north central Kansas. Going old school with no GPS and three pages copied out of of a detailed atlas. Found several new to me roads that were really nice and even had quite a few curves, yes in Kansas!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »
On a two day ride on the old T-3 exploring the eastern part of north central Kansas. Going old school with no GPS and three pages copied out of of a detailed atlas. Found several new to me roads that were really nice and even had quite a few curves, yes in Kansas!
GliderJohn
But it's still Kansas. Hard to get lost if you cheat and read those signs along the road.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
I've had a TomTom before (550 XXL) - good, but the support was a bit lacking. The maps also aren't quite as good for North America, but they don't take you onto dirt as often as Garmin and they have better speed limit data. I'll probably get one again. BTW, the current TomTom Rider 400 is $400, so not as cheap as they once were.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TomTom-RIDER-2-Motorcycle-GPS-Set-USA-CANADA-W-EUROPE-MAPS-bike-2nd-Edition-/331538048828?epid=109467719&hash=item4d3135273c:g:QMIAAOSwnDxUjxn3

10 available of this model...I've been using it now for several years...does everything but provide a radar map.   $299 as indicated above...full kit, lifetime map.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Moto

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 11:13:08 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TomTom-RIDER-2-Motorcycle-GPS-Set-USA-CANADA-W-EUROPE-MAPS-bike-2nd-Edition-/331538048828?epid=109467719&hash=item4d3135273c:g:QMIAAOSwnDxUjxn3

10 available of this model...I've been using it now for several years...does everything but provide a radar map.   $299 as indicated above...full kit, lifetime map.

Thanks for pointing this out - but the screen on these is very small, only 3.5". 20 years ago I could do that, today my eyes need something bigger.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 07:18:16 AM »
I just wish everyone would STAY THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!  :boozing:

But, but , but, it said turn left here!

On another note, I figure my Garmin 550 was about the best of what they had to offer. It died a couple years ago. I had replaced the touch screen at least twice but the whole thing finally gave up the ghost. I had it a long time though so it was a good run. Purely on price point, I bought a 660 to replace it. It is inferior to the 550 in so many ways that I really don't like it much. But, as a discontinued model a couple years ago now, it was just over 300 bucks. I'm willing to live with it for the time being, but if I had paid full retail when it and the 665 were new, I would probably be having an emotional outburst with Garmin. Before I cough up any money for a GPS, I'll be doing lots of homework and if possible some hands on with someone who has something I'm considering. For a company to devolve a product is not progress to me. It simply sucks.

John Henry

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
That would work, except that phones aren't weather resistant and almost all GPS apps for them are dependent on map information and supporting functionality held in the cloud rather than on the device. Yes, you can sometimes download the data, but you still have to be somewhere that makes downloading practical or even possible. The cost of data plans for situations where WiFi is not present is also an issue. If you ride where I do in the west, you're out of coverage (for either!) more than you are in it. In addition, combining a PC-based mapping and planning app with a GPS gives much more flexibility in planning than any phone app (though Google Maps is starting to get close).

My smartphone is waterproof and dustproof. It is bright and visible in direct sunlight.

I have 4 apps on my smartphone that do mapping when out of cell range. Plus a couple that do when online. With Garmin, you use their app, and you had better like it. And a Garmin map update costs as much as a smartphone. I have access to a number of free apps to traffic, fuel costs, weather and more on the smartphone.

I plan my longer rides on my PC, using one of a few dozen PC apps, online or offline, to plan my trip. it is automagically synced to my smartphone when I am on WiFi or cell. I then can follow the plans (though I seldom do).  :evil:  When I return from the trip, my track is already loaded on my PC for me to look at. (where was that interesting road I took?) No messing with Garmin's horrible Basecamp software.

I had one Garmin that was supposedly waterproof, that had the power connector pins destroyed when I rode in the rain. Another waterproof Garmin that quit working in the rain. When I got home, I found it was half full of water where the screen had leaked. I can buy a new bulletproof Android for the price of mailing one of those back for repairs.

Try this with a Garmin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6R7iXiTasM

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:55:42 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
love my garmin montana 650T

they have a newer one now the 680T and they use the same amps mounts as the 650's

great GPS can be used off AA batteries, or use the powered mount, you can use all the maps in it from hiking to marine or aviation.

Has great memory built in and can save 100,000 way points you put in and thousands of routes.

I am still using NT2014 maps in it and really should update them but I mainly use it for backroad riding and those don't change much or ever.
It is also meets IPX7 water resistance, so no need for special covers for it.
And has a built in camera as well.

I use a Montana 650 as well (since 2012? 2013?).

In addition to all the good things already mentioned, it is viewable in direct sunlight and is shock proof.

I also have been using the maps that came with it and have been considering updates.

Great GPS unit.

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2017, 05:52:07 PM »
My Galaxy S7 is rated for IP67 water resistant, 1meter for 30min.  That includes being plugged in.  IIRC that's what the motorcycle GPS units are rated at.  My phone was always plugged into a USB port.

The glove part is the only thing that got me in phones for the bike.  Only because I could never get used to using them with the phone.  Even with the Garmin it was difficult to get the right buttons.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:55:48 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »

If you turn the configuration dials just right, it'll display a perfect map of where you are, and the surrounding area, roads, points of interest, restaurants, motels, etc..
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »
To me, buying a new stand alone GPS makes as much sense as buying a new VCR. I moved on to a iPhone mount and couldn't be happier. The apps like WASE and other map apps are better than any nav unit I have used. The screen is brighter and if I wanted, I could use the Bluetooth to get directions to my Sena communicator.

Plus I already own it and never leave the house without it.

this exactly

after you get used to an iphone, trying to use the touch screen or features on a tom tom rider is like using a charred stick to draw a diagram instead of a mechanical pencil
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »

That's easy.  Two methods:

1)  Turn it off, remove the battery and connect it to shore power.  Restart with the two dials set to 11.  Once it starts shut it down, replace the battery, and reboot normally.  Your maps will then be whatever you want them to be.

2)  use it to support your paper map while you draw on the map with your grease pen.

Hope this helps.

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »
I primarily use a combination of Basecamp, Streets & Trips (no longer updated but still invaluable), and Tyre - I can do plans with these three that I just can't do with the phone software. All my tools produce GPX format waypoint files that can be read by most all GPS units; admittedly, the ones from S&T have to be tweaked but that's not surprising given that it's orphaned software. And yes, Basecamp can be horrible - but once you understand its horrors and know how to work with it, it is extremely capable. Tyre is dependent on Internet connectivity, but is perhaps the most user friendly tool of all.

Tony,

Have you looked at Gaia GPS yet? I use it for my iPhone and it works great IMO for planning and navigating. There is a one time $20.00 fee to buy the app, but you can play with it online before purchasing anything. You won't be able to sync your iPhone to your computer without the app, but you may find it can do all that you are looking for.

https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Regards,

Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »
Tony,

Have you looked at Gaia GPS yet? I use it for my iPhone and it works great IMO for planning and navigating. There is a one time $20.00 fee to buy the app, but you can play with it online before purchasing anything. You won't be able to sync your iPhone to your computer without the app, but you may find it can do all that you are looking for.

https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Regards,

What is this iPhone you speak of? This is the Devil's work!!!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »
You can also get water proof cases for cheap for phones.

They say the 7 is water resistant which is as good as a GPS unit is going to give you, even the instruments on the bike itself are only water resistant.

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 03:15:53 AM »
When I bought the Norge in '09, I ordered a TomTom Rider for my GPS since it was the "official" Guzzi GPS.  The mount was crap - and was a known weak point, but it was less than half the price of the Zumo 550 or the new 660.  Not too long after that, they quit being sold in the US.  Parts were still available out of the UK, but were not cheap.  A replacement cradle was $100.  US support was non-existent so I picked up a used 660 for less than I had expected to pay.  Got two cradles - one is on the Norge with all the cables, and the other one has had everything except the power cables cut, and is moved to one of my other bikes when I ride it.  While not perfect, I've had good support from Garmin - much better than I ever got from TomTom.  I recently picked up a 665 as I wanted XM radio. So now I have two spare cradles, and two virtually identical units.  I'd say I am in at least OK shape for a couple of more years before the maps get too big to download onto the unit.  By then, I'll have had seven or eight years on the oldest unit, so I guess I can't really complain.

The 660 came out in 2009 followed the next year by the 665, so a 7 year or so model run really isn't too terrible.  Yeah, I might be a little miffed if I purchased on right around the time the new models were announced, but that should have been a clue that the 660/665 was not long for continued full support.

YMMV,

jdg

2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »
I have Garmin Zumo 550 and Csx60 on the Stelvio. Bought both used and with pirate maps (Highway map on Zumo and TOPO on Csx60).
TOPO is great for finding "goat paths" and higher elevation roads.
I know Garmin service sucks, but that's why they are used.... Once either one dies or develops problems, I'll throw it in trash. Don't need their sucky service.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:17:03 AM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2017, 10:26:42 AM »
What is this iPhone you speak of? This is the Devil's work!!!

OK Tony, for your non-iPhone Droid device you would probably want Locus. Really good reviews from some folks that have used it extensively.  :laugh:
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
When I bought the Norge in '09, I ordered a TomTom Rider for my GPS since it was the "official" Guzzi GPS.  The mount was crap - and was a known weak point, but it was less than half the price of the Zumo 550 or the new 660.  Not too long after that, they quit being sold in the US. 

The TomTom Rider model I posted up above has been 100% reliable.  NO issues of any sort, either with wiring, cradle or the unit itself, and I think some of you might be surprised how user friendly it is.  It's glove friendly, the text is plenty large (even for the vision challenged), and it's super easy to use on the fly...honestly for the price/usability I haven't found a better one.  I was willing to spend twice the price to find a good GPS, but it's really not necessary AT ALL!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
Garmin Zumo 550... I've had it 10+ years, I think. Still on my Stelvio.
Replaced the touch screen (ebay), replaced the buttons (ebay), never updated maps, been on about 6 bikes... All without Garmin. I think I can say I have my money's worth.

I don't really care that others will never use one, only use paper maps, are all pissy when people don't do what they like...blah, blah...

I use it to confirm arrival time, turns I may have missed, or speed verification. I don't navigate with them often, but they are a handy tool for going around areas that are unfamiliar. Navigating to a specific destination (restaurant, for example) I will just Bluetooth Google maps from my phone to the helmet with turn-by-turn.

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
I use it to confirm arrival time, turns I may have missed, or speed verification. I don't navigate with them often, but they are a handy tool for going around areas that are unfamiliar. Navigating to a specific destination (restaurant, for example) I will just Bluetooth Google maps from my phone to the helmet with turn-by-turn.

Pretty much how I use my Garmin Montana.  I rarely ask it for routing -- but in a pinch to does well.

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »
love my garmin montana 650T

I am still using NT2014 maps in it and really should update them but I mainly use it for backroad riding and those don't change much or ever.

FYI, I am just now updating my Montana.  I had to download "Garmin Express" but once done, it is a piece of cake.  Hell, even I could do it :)

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
My problem last time I tried to use a phone was heat - phone got too hot in the sun and locked up.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
this exactly

after you get used to an iphone, trying to use the touch screen or features on a tom tom rider is like using a charred stick to draw a diagram instead of a mechanical pencil
Absolute garbage!
I use mine in the interstate trips in the truck in Sydney, Melbourne and on the bike in places like Berlin, Paris, Como and Rome @ 11.00 pm and am delivered to the door, EVERY SINGLE TIME...
I simply do not know what all the guts aching is about.
I must be using a different Tom Tom Rider than you guys.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
My problem last time I tried to use a phone was heat - phone got too hot in the sun and locked up.

BIL Harley Bob has a high buck Itablet of some sort with his aviation nav app on it. That happens to him, too.
Hmm, an aviation nav dealy do that locks up when it's in the sun.. that's special.  :evil:
My free (Guzzi content) android tablet never does that..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
Let's see...

Samsung or Iphone - 500 to 700 bucks, not heat resistant...and if lost...more trouble than it's worth.  Of course, the Samsung is known to be water resistant, but it goes up in flames from time to time, all by itself!

GPS unit - 300-500, WATER and heat resistant...if lost...no big deal...no personal information.

Yeah...makes sense...
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
So, unless you are just messin around  :)

The Samsung units that had battery problems were the NOTE 7's, not the Galaxy S7 phones.

I have never had an android device overheat in the sun while on the bike.  I never left it out on a summer day in Phx, but, it saw many 90 and 100+ degree days on the bike.  OTOH, my iPhone 5 overheated several times.  Same mounting location on the bike.  FYI, there are documented cases of GPS units flaming up in cars as well.  Left in direct sun and a closed vehicle they can overheat as well.  ;)

FWIW, if my phone is lost it is no more trouble than if my GPS is lost.  There is nothing on there valuable enough to try to recover.  No personal information on mine (except a list of emails and phone numbers, about 20 of them).

I would have liked a new motorcycle specific GPS for $300.  Most I saw were $400 and a lot higher.  And I already have the phone so adding GPS function is only the cost of the app.

Yep...makes sense :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:43:40 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here