Author Topic: My last Garmin GPS - ever  (Read 13014 times)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: My last Garmin GPS - ever
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »
I see a lot of folks using their cell phons for navigation on a motorcycle.  They obviously feel comfortable with that arrangement.  I don't.  The cell phone is my hand held computer with a huge amount of data/stuff for my daily life.  I don't like the idea of having that device out where it might decide to take a walk.  It's like putting a IPad on the bike...way more capability than needed and way too much to lose.  I'm stuck in the rut of one device for one use.  The GPS does a great job (mostly) of answering my navigation questions, no matter where I am.  My phone...not so much.  Two weeks ago I was in a radio quiet zone.  No cell coverage.  GPS worked just fine.  This was important because we were way out in hell and beyond, on a 1 lane road, and getting quite lost.  We are talking Deliverance territory.  The GPS worked.  I have had similar problems on other trips.  No cell coverage but the GPS works.  Along those same lines, SPOT Tracker seems to work everywhere.  Bottom line, I'll pay the price for a dedicated GPS navigation device.  Maybe not Garmin.  I have seen some ads for Chinese GPS that are motorcycle specific and really inexpensive.  Maybe someone here will try that out and spare me the joy of being the first.  Heck, you only have a few bucks on the line and it's for a good cause...(Guzzi Content).
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
Let's see...

Samsung or Iphone - 500 to 700 bucks, not heat resistant...and if lost...more trouble than it's worth.  Of course, the Samsung is known to be water resistant, but it goes up in flames from time to time, all by itself!

GPS unit - 300-500, WATER and heat resistant...if lost...no big deal...no personal information.

Yeah...makes sense...

If you care to look, you can find rugged waterproof android devices for a little over $100. If you look for a used one, under $50.
Only the Note 7 had battery issues, if you looked. But then, so did a number of Apple laptops.
And I had one Garmin unit fail when the power plug filled with water. Smoked it right there in the handlebar. I had another Garmin fail when the screen leaked and the unit filled with water. I could buy a couple of Android devices for what it was going to cost just to repair that Garmin.

So yea, the Android makes a LOT of sense to me.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
I won't keep reposting the EBay link I've already posted above for ITSEC, but there is the TomTom Rider for $299 with all of the gear you need to make it work on the motorcycle.  The TomTom has never failed in pouring rain, the cradle has never broken, the connection has never filled up with water. 

It's easily 1/2 the price of a Garmin dedicated Moto GPS or an Phone (Iphone or Samsung).  I understand some folks want a slightly larger screen, but for the features/reliability/price, it's hard to beat.

Today I just did a backup of the GPS and even uploaded the latest maps...since it's lifetime free maps...what could be easier.  On top of which, you could even download John Cleese for verbal instructions if it's too hard to read!

Manuel...Polly...tu rn right I say!!  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:19:07 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
I see a lot of folks using their cell phons for navigation on a motorcycle.  They obviously feel comfortable with that arrangement.  I don't.  The cell phone is my hand held computer with a huge amount of data/stuff for my daily life.  I don't like the idea of having that device out where it might decide to take a walk.  It's like putting a IPad on the bike...way more capability than needed and way too much to lose.  I'm stuck in the rut of one device for one use.  The GPS does a great job (mostly) of answering my navigation questions, no matter where I am.  My phone...not so much.  Two weeks ago I was in a radio quiet zone.  No cell coverage.  GPS worked just fine.  This was important because we were way out in hell and beyond, on a 1 lane road, and getting quite lost.  We are talking Deliverance territory.  The GPS worked.  I have had similar problems on other trips.  No cell coverage but the GPS works.  Along those same lines, SPOT Tracker seems to work everywhere.  Bottom line, I'll pay the price for a dedicated GPS navigation device.  Maybe not Garmin.  I have seen some ads for Chinese GPS that are motorcycle specific and really inexpensive.  Maybe someone here will try that out and spare me the joy of being the first.  Heck, you only have a few bucks on the line and it's for a good cause...(Guzzi Content).

Apparently you have not figured out that the Navigation apps for cell phones download maps and don't need a cell connection to work.  If your GPS will work, so will the cell phone app.   And yes, for most of the apps you get lifetime map downloads.

Again, price is not comparable.  If you already have a phone you only have to buy the app.  So, several hundred for the GPS or less than $50 for an app.  Yes, your current phone may not be shock, water or dust resistant.  Mine is and when you get your next phone you can get one too.  Or, like Wayne mentioned, you can go online and get rugged phones for very little money.  No, you don't need to buy it with a service plan if you don't want to.  And, yes, you can get different voices for directions as well.

It still surprises me how much misinformation there is about phones.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
I like my Garmin motorcycle GPS units, when they work. My Zumo 550 was replaced twice, at $150 each time. If and when my Zumo 665 has issues, I plan selling it for parts or something. But not going to buy another motorcycle GPS. I never buy at full retail for the Garmin motorcycle GPS units. And automotive units can be had for very cheap. And most have lifetime maps. Many with lifetime traffic.

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
Apparently you have not figured out that the Navigation apps for cell phones download maps and don't need a cell connection to work.  If your GPS will work, so will the cell phone app.   And yes, for most of the apps you get lifetime map downloads.

Again, price is not comparable.  If you already have a phone you only have to buy the app.  So, several hundred for the GPS or less than $50 for an app.  Yes, your current phone may not be shock, water or dust resistant.  Mine is and when you get your next phone you can get one too.  Or, like Wayne mentioned, you can go online and get rugged phones for very little money.  No, you don't need to buy it with a service plan if you don't want to.  And, yes, you can get different voices for directions as well.

It still surprises me how much misinformation there is about phones.

Or how much tracking and information gathering the 'phones' do.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
Or how much tracking and information gathering the 'phones' do.

This is something I didn't bring up, since my main point was Garmin's questionable (in my eyes) business practices.

As an information security, privacy, governance and compliance professional of several decades standing, guess what is never turned on on my smartphone? Location services. I can't stop anyone from localizing me to a tower group, but I'm durned if I'm gonna tell Google (or anyone else) my position accurate to 5 meters every few minutes. When I use my SPOT satellite tracker, I can choose who sees that data and exactly how much of it they can see.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 08:01:30 PM »
This is something I didn't bring up, since my main point was Garmin's questionable (in my eyes) business practices.

As an information security, privacy, governance and compliance professional of several decades standing, guess what is never turned on on my smartphone? Location services. I can't stop anyone from localizing me to a tower group, but I'm durned if I'm gonna tell Google (or anyone else) my position accurate to 5 meters every few minutes. When I use my SPOT satellite tracker, I can choose who sees that data and exactly how much of it they can see.

GPS only works one direction.  A pure GPS device cannot collect and send any data unless it has a cell plan & built in phone. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »
When I use my SPOT satellite tracker, I can choose who sees that data and exactly how much of it they can see....

.... or so it says here ....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
GPS only works one direction.  A pure GPS device cannot collect and send any data unless it has a cell plan & built in phone.

Certainly - which is why I made my remarks about using a smartphone to replace a GPS. The satellite tracker is a different matter, since it is specifically for the purpose of sending GPS information it collects.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
(From ITSec) When I use my SPOT satellite tracker, I can choose who sees that data and exactly how much of it they can see....

.... or so it says here ....

Well, at least it would take a court order to get more of it than I choose to share. That, and the gang at SPOT purge their data regularly. They also don't sell it, or correlate it with any other data about me (*cough* Google, *cough cough* Apple). Mostly that's because they have no other data about me to use to correlate it! Running SPOT tracking info through SPOTwalla allows much more fine-grain control over what data can be seen too.

From the SPOT website: "SPOT archives your data for only 30 days, we encourage you to save your Tracks with SPOT Adventures where you can create an adventure and save it forever, or download your data to your desktop for use outside of your SPOT account."
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2017, 08:25:19 PM »
Well, at least it would take a court order to get more of it than I choose to share. That, and the gang at SPOT purge their data regularly. They also don't sell it, or correlate it with any other data about me (*cough* Google, *cough cough* Apple). Mostly that's because they have no other data about me to use to correlate it! Running SPOT tracking info through SPOTwalla allows much more fine-grain control over what data can be seen too.

From the SPOT website: "SPOT archives your data for only 30 days, we encourage you to save your Tracks with SPOT Adventures where you can create an adventure and save it forever, or download your data to your desktop for use outside of your SPOT account."

You're a trusting soul ... !   But if it's working for you, keep gittin' it!    I'm not wearing one of those beacons and trusting everyone I tell to keep their eyes closed to not peek like they said they wouldn't ... In this case, my suspicions correlate with my habits anyhow; I don't own one.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
As an IT pro I am surprised that you think you can hide your location.  Anyone who really wants it will get it.  You are just keeping the honest people out (and they dont want your location anyway).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
And if you have a bluetooth communicator in your helmet, you can get driving instructions from your phone (stashed in a tank/tail bag) that way. Not like looking at a map, but if you have a destination in mind, you can have the nice lady tell you how to get there.

Rich A

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:34 AM »
My old Garmin Garmin 60CA is still working like a champ after over 20 years. The maps are only the most basic (interstates and US highways) and the small screen requires cheater sunglasses, but it is excellent as a trip computer, a compass, an altimeter, and a clock. I still use the mount and fused charging cable I bought from Cycoactive all those years ago. Along with a compact atlas, this unit remains a useful tool when traveling.

The Garmin NAV5 that I have on my BMW is the only dedicated motorcycling unit I've owned. I'm still getting to know all the nuances, but really like it so far. It does all the regular GPS stuff, but also can display information that comes from the bike's instruments (e.g.: tire pressure, trip miles, speed, etc). It is controlled by a selector wheel on the left handlebar. And yes; the ability to use the touch screen with gloves is a plus...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
As an IT pro I am surprised that you think you can hide your location.  Anyone who really wants it will get it.  You are just keeping the honest people out (and they dont want your location anyway).

That's sort of what I was saying.   I don't have to worry about mobiles, but I have to assume that people are looking at everything I type from my desktop on every website to see how they can "take" me.

You can't prevent it; all you can do is take out "insurance" (for me, in the form of a relationship with my bank and financial advisor) in case you do get "hit" as a result of data getting stolen.

Lannis

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
That's impressive

Ok here's a question, I want a good bright GPS or app that doesn't require a package to service it e.g. cell coverage what do I buy.
I currently use an old TomTom car unit but it's not nearly bright enough. I don't mind spending a few bucks for a good one recommended here.

Sent from my shoe phone!
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
That's impressive

Ok here's a question, I want a good bright GPS or app that doesn't require a package to service it e.g. cell coverage what do I buy.
I currently use an old TomTom car unit but it's not nearly bright enough. I don't mind spending a few bucks for a good one recommended here.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Scroll up a bit and you'll see the link I posted for the TomTom Rider...$299 USD.
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »

I've used a SPOT device since they came out...very helpful to keep family members apprised when on expeditions (4x4 adventures with 911 option) deep into the mountains or desert, and just for convenience when on the moto long distance trips.  It provides them peace of mind to see, and fun for them to see how the trip is progressing.  If you're really worried about someone hacking your SPOT tracker to try and hunt you down or see where you've been riding or travelling, I think that's paranoid...I mean by the time they see where you've been, you're long gone, it's not like it has a predictor on where you are going.  And yes, they can see where you started, but they certainly don't need your SPOT to figure out your home address.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:00:14 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »

I use the CoPilot app on an Android. No cell connection needed. I know a LOT of people that do this and do not even turn on the cell phone radio. Can't be tracked, if you are one of those people. A number of cheap devices can be read in direct sunlight.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »

...very helpful to keep family members apprised when on expeditions (4x4 adventures with 911 option) deep into the mountains or desert, and just for convenience when on the moto long distance trips.  It provides them peace of mind to see ....

Well, there's paranoid, and then there's other paranoid.   

This thing where every time we pull up to a stop, or in the campground at night, men have to go off somewhere where they can get a cell signal and say "I need to check in with my wife, she'll worry herself sick if she doesn't hear from me ...."   I mean, what's that all about?   Fay and I been married 41 years and we love each other, and we're concerned for each other, but everyone hyperventilating if they don't hear from each other every 8 or 12 hours, or make sure the spot on the map keeps moving?

People didn't used to be like that, I don't think.  And it has nothing to do with a loss of love or concern, it has more to do with the same sort of sense that's being called "paranoia" when discussing people using your data to steal from or harm you.

When I go off to a rally, it might be 5 days or a week before Fay hears from me.   I have an ICE card in my helmet and in my wallet, and the State Police and hospitals have excellent communication capability, so if something happens that she needs to know about, she'll know.   

Otherwise I'll come home, and download my pictures, and we'll have a cozy "welcome home" evening and look at the pics and hear all about it.

Sure, some people "prefer" to talk every day, but it's not like "Well, I'll call home when I get a chance", it's more like "I HAVE TO call home ... " and their fingers fidget and they can't think of anything else until they do it ... ?

Just not me ...

Lannis

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
Scroll up a bit and you'll see the link I posted for the TomTom Rider...$299 USD.

Thanks PJPR01, I just ordered one
I like the TomTom I have at the moment, must be at least 15 YO except for the dull display, I find it turns On in a fraction of the time it takes my Magelin to wake up.
 :bike-037:
Roy
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2017, 04:04:44 PM »
Well, there's paranoid, and then there's other paranoid.   

This thing where every time we pull up to a stop, or in the campground at night, men have to go off somewhere where they can get a cell signal and say "I need to check in with my wife, she'll worry herself sick if she doesn't hear from me ...."   I mean, what's that all about?   Fay and I been married 41 years and we love each other, and we're concerned for each other, but everyone hyperventilating if they don't hear from each other every 8 or 12 hours, or make sure the spot on the map keeps moving?

People didn't used to be like that, I don't think.  And it has nothing to do with a loss of love or concern, it has more to do with the same sort of sense that's being called "paranoia" when discussing people using your data to steal from or harm you.

When I go off to a rally, it might be 5 days or a week before Fay hears from me.   I have an ICE card in my helmet and in my wallet, and the State Police and hospitals have excellent communication capability, so if something happens that she needs to know about, she'll know.   

Otherwise I'll come home, and download my pictures, and we'll have a cozy "welcome home" evening and look at the pics and hear all about it.

Sure, some people "prefer" to talk every day, but it's not like "Well, I'll call home when I get a chance", it's more like "I HAVE TO call home ... " and their fingers fidget and they can't think of anything else until they do it ... ?

Just not me ...

Lannis
  ROFL...truly entertaining...but you're inferring and projecting WAY more than I ever intended to a degree that has nothing to do with the way SPOT is being used.   It's simply a tool to help keep people informed just as an FYI, it has little to do with "checking in" because of an obligation to do so.  If you want or don't want to talk to your significant other at the end of the day, that's a different requirement than what SPOT is intended to solve!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:53 PM »
  ROFL...truly entertaining...but you're inferring and projecting WAY more than I ever intended to a degree that has nothing to do with the way SPOT is being used.   It's simply a tool to help keep people informed just as an FYI, it has little to do with "checking in" because of an obligation to do so.  If you want or don't want to talk to your significant other at the end of the day, that's a different requirement than what SPOT is intended to solve!

I understand ... I suppose I was (A) Reflexively responding to the use (overuse?) of "Paranoid" and (B) talking in general about the extremely prevalent tendency among my riding peers to HAVE to stay "connected" for peace of mind, whether that be SPOT, GPS, cell phones, whatever .... I hear a lot of "It's just a tool, lighten up", sort of like I would hear "Narcotics are just a medicine, quit worrying about it ..."  :boozing:   :wink:

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 11:45:21 PM »

The 'honest' people DO want your location - it's used everyday in selling ads and in identifying marketing opportunities among other things. How often do you visit a home improvement store? How often do you get fast food? These and many other things can be inferred from the time, duration and location of your smartphone.

Hide? No - no more than having a top quality deadbolt will keep a professional burglar out. It will send a certain number of less prepared thieves looking for easier pickings. The point in either case is to weed out the casual types, what in my trade are sometimes called 'script kiddies'. It's to prevent or at least reduce the amount of information available to so-called 'legitimate' data brokers. It's all about due diligence, not absolute protection.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2017, 04:25:52 AM »
Not so, The spot communicates via satellite. First of ll it figures out where it is then sends the co-ordinats to the satellite and from there to Spot headquarters I assume.
When you receive a message you can zoom in to about 10 feet.
From the driveway of the house in John Day where we stopped for the night
It also lets you know the message has gone, again by satellite

Device Name: Roy's Spot
Latitude: 44.42302
Longitude: -118.95538
GPS location Date/Time: 08/21/2017 07:52:41 PDT

Message: This is where Ross, Kevin & Roy are at the moment on their Aotearoa trip

Here's a typical message, don't take too much notice  of the pre-amble, i forgot to reset it.

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://fms.ws/mWYh_/44.42302N/118.95538W

If the above link does not work, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=44.42302,-118.95538&ll=44.42302,-118.95538&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

You have received this message because "Roy's Spot" has attempted to contact you.

FindMeSPOT.com
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:44:08 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
Not so, The spot communicates via satellite. First of ll it figures out where it is then sends the co-ordinats to the satellite and from there to Spot headquarters I assume.
When you receive a message you can zoom in to about 10 feet.

But a Spot is not a pure GPS device. As stated, a pure GPS receiver has no ability to transmit your information. None, zero. In fact I worked as an EMC engineer, and tested a number of them for a number of companies, and that was one thing I verified. They do not transmit anything.

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »
Look what popped into my email this AM:

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-600-newly-overhauled

If I didn't already have one, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »
So it uses the GPS satellites but it's not a GPS device, me thinks you are splitting hairs here. It certainly has no cellular connection, will work out in the middle of the Atlantic with no cell coverage.
BTW Spot only sends your location when you ask it to although you can get tracking if you wish, 99% of the time the power is off on mine.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:59:21 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
So it uses the GPS satellites but it's not a GPS device, me thinks you are splitting hairs here. It certainly has no cellular connection, will work out in the middle of the Atlantic with no cell coverage.

No, I am saying the Spot is a GPS device. PLUS it has a transmitter to upload your location occasionally.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here