Author Topic: What's your most special 25 to 75 miles of continuous road to ride?  (Read 10273 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What's your most special 25 to 75 miles of continuous road to ride?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 07:23:11 AM »
When I read the title of this thread I assumed it was asking about roads that we have frequent access to because he used the word "ride".  If he would have said "What's your most special 25 to 75 miles of continuous road you have ridden" my answer would have been a list of roads that show up if you google top 100 motorcycle roads in the US.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline TRw1

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
One of my favorites is "River Road" (PA Route 32) along the Delaware River in Eastern PA.  Great 2 lane with nice scenery and history.  Sometimes marred by slow-moving hordes of our friends on the American brand, or sightseers.  Especially nice early morning or late evening.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
North Cascades #2 from Newhalem to Winthrop in Washington .  At the western edge there are some pull offs where if you stop chipmunks will come out looking for treats. When a car goes by they dive over the edge and then when it's quiet they come out again.
X52 in eastern Iowa is also a favorite , the best road in Iowa.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:24:10 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »
NJ Turnpike from Newark, NJ to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Laser straight so no pesky turns or stops to ruin your ride. Lots of cars and trucks of all makes, models years and colors to keep you entertained. Always fun to sneak up in a car's blind spot and observe what the driver is doing to distract themselves while bored silly behind the wheel!

You also get to experience all the other senses of NJ. The smell of burning rubbish, the tingling of spilled chemicals on the road against your bare arms (you ARE wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, right?), the comfort of the diesel exhaust wafting over from the adjacent truck all while the glare of the sun is diminished by the industrial haze.  I challenge anyone to find a better ride!

I think that a BETTER motorcycle ride by those standards, especially for those who don't necessarily like high speed and want a more relaxed ride, would be I-95 and I-495 between Springfield, VA and Baltimore, MD at the proper time of day, morning or evening.   You get to see LOTS of other cars and trucks, it's very sociable, you can communicate with hand signals with other drivers, and 40 miles will last you three hours or more, so you don't have to get too far from home  ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2018, 07:58:15 AM »
Blue Ridge Parkway... Any 75 mile stretch of it.

Yes but, the stretch between Cherokee and 215 is extra special.

28 from Wahalla to 129 isn't shabby...
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 08:14:56 AM »
When I read the title of this thread I assumed it was asking about roads that we have frequent access to because he used the word "ride".  If he would have said "What's your most special 25 to 75 miles of continuous road you have ridden" my answer would have been a list of roads that show up if you google top 100 motorcycle roads in the US.

That was my impression also.
A road within a couple hours of me:
County road 119 between Canisteo, NY and Addison, NY along the Canisteo river. Country that probably hasn't changed much in 75 years.

In North America US 12 through Idaho for its endless sweepers and little traffic.

Pete

Offline shaka

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »
Oh, the Cross Bronx Expressway is a mighty good road
Oh, the Cross Bronx Expressway, its the road to ride
Oh, the Cross Bronx Expressway is a mighty good road
If you want to ride it, you have to ride it like you find it
Get your ticket at the toll booth on the Cross Bronx Expressway
1998 V11 EV
Long Ago:
Norton Fastback
R50/2
R60/5

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 08:42:10 AM »
191 Devils Highway in eastern Az.   :thumb: :thumb:
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Once upon a time it was from my house to Riders Hill :)

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
I live in Southern Indiana near the Ohio River.  The trade route roads from the inner part of the State lead from a norther direction, south to the Ohio River.  The road in front of my home is one of these roads.  I live 2 miles north of the river.  Turning left/north out of my driveway will take you all the way to Chicago on 2 lane agricultural roads.  Most in the southern part of the State were buffalo traces. When the French found these traces, they turned them into toll roads. I am a recreational rider for the most part.  There are plenty of fun roads starting from the bottom of my 300 foot long driveway.   

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
Rosewood to Tumut via the Old Tumbarumba Rd. Pic is a link to a YouTube video.

Lol Mark, I watched the video and if I ever get to come and ride with you I'll definitely have to ride directly behind you to keep from getting head on :)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2018, 09:53:54 AM »
My favorite is NM15 from Silver City, NM to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. It's only 43 miles, but the trip takes nearly two hours each way. The first time I rode it was so enjoyable that I booked a room in Silver City and rode it again the next day! The Cliff Dwellings are a nice way to stretch one's legs before the return trip and traffic is really light on weekdays. Below is a description of the route as described by the Park Service:

Q: Does it really take two hours to drive to the cliff dwellings from Silver City?

A: The 43 mile drive on Highway 15 from Silver City is paved, steep, narrow, twisting and beautiful. You will enjoy the drive much more if you are not rushing. Many hills and turns require shifting down to lower gears in order to avoid overheating your brakes. Slower vehicles should pull over to allow faster vehicles to pass. Between Silver City and the junction with Highway 35, Highway 15 does not have a center dividing line -- use extra caution around the curves. This section of Highway 15 is NOT RECOMMENDED for RVs over 25 feet or trailers over 20 feet. Use Highway 35 as an alternate route to avoid the most "adventurous" section of Highway 15.

This is not too awful far from Datil. It would make a nice side trip that also puts you close to Tombstone, AZ.  Slide show in link below. Highly recommended...

http://www.americansouthwest.net/new_mexico/gila-cliff-dwellings/nm15_l.html

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
I've been thinking and thinking, and there are so many good roads, some because they're fun to ride, some because they go to a good destination, and some that just have good memories associated with them that I can't pick just one or two .....

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
Locally, Mo 125 from Sparta, Mo. to the Arkansas line is as good as any I've ridden in other states. Plenty of lettered roads off of 125 like T and UU are great, UU just got new pavement this summer, it's super smooth.

Push mountain Arkansas if fun, wide open big sweepers  :bike-037: :bike-037:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
Texas Ranch Roads 335,336,337 are a lot of fun, and so is Highway 9 South out of Mountain View Arkansas.  Many roads surrounding both of these areas are great too.  Butler maps can help you find areas you might not otherwise know about ..

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
There are no good roads here on the east coast, especially not in PA, VA or WV, so don't bother coming here.  :evil:
Charlie

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2018, 12:03:21 PM »
Locally, Mo 125 from Sparta, Mo. to the Arkansas line is as good as any I've ridden in other states. Plenty of lettered roads off of 125 like T and UU are great, UU just got new pavement this summer, it's super smooth.

Push mountain Arkansas if fun, wide open big sweepers  :bike-037: :bike-037:

Hmmm, tomorrow afternoon I might have to ride over to Peels Ferry and take 125 on up to Springfield. I have a feeling I'm gonna get a real good meal with interesting company to enjoy in the evening!   :thumb:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline aschem

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
Highway 1 from Big Sur to San Simeon

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
There are no good roads here on the east coast, especially not in PA, VA or WV, so don't bother coming here.  :evil:

He's right.   This is the best we got in Virginia, and that's on a GOOD day ... I-66 ....

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »
Hmmm, tomorrow afternoon I might have to ride over to Peels Ferry and take 125 on up to Springfield. I have a feeling I'm gonna get a real good meal with interesting company to enjoy in the evening!   :thumb:

Your cularary enjoyment from last year has prompted Barb to prepare the Pioneer Woman lasagne again. Bring your appetite Darren  :thumb:  I've never seen anyone eat that much lasagne. Ever

Oh, I think the bridge is still out at Garrison so you'll have to take the detour on t and UU watch out for the road kill armadillos
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:23:57 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »
Up and over Stelvio Pass, Italy (visit the Wurst Man and have a beer at the summit)
Routes des Grandes Alpes, France

RT 60, Georgia
RT 12 Lolo pass,  Idaho

Paul
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:06:28 PM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »
He's right.   This is the best we got in Virginia, and that's on a GOOD day ... I-66 ....

Lannis

I agree.  I've been on 33 and it is nothing to write home about.  Same goes for any road near Appomattox courthouse. 

I found one road that crosses I-95 without a ramp.  Major difference in traffic load. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2018, 01:16:50 PM »
We usually meet up at the Starbucks in Sunland and ride to Wrightwood via Newcombs Ranch
https://goo.gl/maps/wdvvMpHbJPD2
Kirk

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
Nestucca River Road between Carlton OR and 101. It's not the Greatest or Twistiest or Most Technical, but I spent many a 'funemployed' morning following it in the first few years of this century, and it's special to me. It sadly isn't the well-kept secret it once was (otherwise I would've kept it to myself and said 224 up into the Mt Hood National Forest or something).

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
I'm partial to Route 16 especially the section from Welch WV  to just east of Marion VA.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
*Perazzimx14 beat me to it!!

Rt. 16 from down yonder in Marion, VA can be ridden all the way up to St. Mary's, WV.  Almost 300 miles of pretty much all twisties and hills.  You'll have to re-grease your steering head bearings when you're done.  :wink:
It gets a little confusing near Beckley, WV....and there's usually a bit of traffic in that area.   I'm always in too much of a hurry to figure out a way around it.
We've started at the bottom, leaving from a hotel in Wytheville, next to St. John's Lutheran Cemetery:
It is probable that the graveyard was commenced before Wythe County was formed in 1790. Some of the graves bear evident marks of extending back into the 18th century, although no legible inscription dates further back than 1805. Very eerie place that.
We've also started at the northern most point by traveling down OH rt 7 from the Steubenville area (Dean Martin's old digs!)
https://goo.gl/maps/99dPgSrzQ9x

Another route we've found interesting.  It's not the quickest way between points A and be, but a twistie old road through the hills between Cumberland, KY and Big Stone Gap, VA.  Rt. 160.   We came around a corner one trip to run up on a mother bear and 3 cubs.
https://goo.gl/maps/b8KhMPvLj1s

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:09:48 PM by rdbandkab »

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
I've ridden very few of the roads offered here. But Rick nailed a special one. 54, 54A! Westbound, hammer down.
I was way too often in a car. Anyone recall so sayeth thurathrustra (phonetic. My apologies). Early space movie?

The music was perfect. The day as well. A fellow coming towards me frantically flashing his head lights. I managed to slow just enough, going around that curve, with the barn hiding a NY State Trooper. A towable infraction.

Just about any N/S road betwixt the Finger Lakes is a fun ride. Out of season of course: 96A, 89, 96, 414. But then much time has passed.  R3~ 

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2018, 03:30:30 PM »
MO. Hwy 19 Eminence to Cuba.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »
More from Oz -

- the top end of the Omeo Hwy from Mitta Mitta to Omeo - 108km of tight twisties

- the Bonang Hwy, also in Victoria, only 105 km of twisties, but the gravel section in the middle does afford a chance for a halt in the rainforest to brew up a pot of coffee/tea/hot chocolate in peace & quiet (apart from the bird noise).

- the Elliot Way, between Cabramurra & Tumbarumba in the Snowys.

- the Gillies Hwy, in the Athertons out of Cairns. Well deserved after all the not so twisty roads ridden to get there.

- almost any road in Tasmania, except the main ones.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
Up and over Stelvio Pass, Italy (visit the Wurst Man and have a beer at the summit)
Routes des Grandes Alpes, France

RT 60, Georgia
RT 12 Lolo pass, Utah

Paul
Don't go within 20 metres of him or he'll nab you.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here