Author Topic: Another frequented forum uses "Like" feature instead of "Ignore"...  (Read 11830 times)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Seemingly tends to keep things on a positive note. I "like" it ;-T. The  "Ignore" seems like an "I don't like you" message, not even a don't like what you said message. I have one ignore and have ignored one person. I don't even remember why I ignored that person, guess I should "unignore" and try again :-\ next time I see it. Don't even know who it is that I ignored.

Stay safe, John
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Another frequented forum uses "Like" feature instead of "Ignore"...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »
When I use my iPad ,the ignore button is easy to inadvertly hit when I scroll from the left side. So I check to see who I'm ignoring when I think of it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »
Please... NO MORE "LIKES".  Facebook has that covered and it's nonsense.  Just give a thumbs up.  "Ignore" seems pretty childish to me.  If you think it's bad meaning why did you use it yourself?? 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »
I like the idea of being more positive than negative.  ;-T

Some forums I frequent have a REP or Thumbs UP button - when someone likes what you've said you get a message (anonymously or not depending on the feature).

Personally I think the Ignore button at WildGuzzi is a lot of things.

1. It's probably a useful tool for those who just can't get along with certain members. (FWIW I don't ignore anyone for their posts, though I DO have a couple of people on the list because of large graphics in their signatures. I'd rather see what they have to say but over the years it's slowed the load of the page on various devices so I keep it that way as a default).

2. It's more than a bit insulting. I don't think a person's ignore info should be public. As much as I'd like to not care it does leave me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'll likely not donate again as long as the system remains public. It's tantamount to an attempt at public shaming or cyber bullying, but one that leaves the ignored no recourse to change things*

So bottom line, I feel it's a bit juvenile, but some people need that I guess.

*I kinda suspect that a lot of my ignores have moved on and don't post here anymore, but I have no way of knowing for sure. There's only one active member that I'm pretty sure ignores me because over the past few months I've directly answered his question (sometimes even BEFORE he's asked it) and he's never responded. Maybe the system could be reset annually. I can't imagine it would be hard for someone to re-ignore a member if they wanted to.

<shrugs>
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »

Personally I think the Ignore button at WildGuzzi is a lot of things.

1. It's probably a useful tool for those who just can't get along with certain members. (FWIW I don't ignore anyone for their posts, though I DO have a couple of people on the list because of large graphics in their signatures. I'd rather see what they have to say but over the years it's slowed the load of the page on various devices so I keep it that way as a default).

2. It's more than a bit insulting. I don't think a person's ignore info should be public. As much as I'd like to not care it does leave me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'll likely not donate again as long as the system remains public. It's tantamount to an attempt at public shaming or cyber bullying, but one that leaves the ignored no recourse to change things*

So bottom line, I feel it's a bit juvenile, but some people need that I guess.

The Facebook "like" and "don't like" thing has influenced folks, I suppose.   They'll use the "ignore" as a "don't like" thing, even though they'll hit the "View" or "Unignore" button to read whatever the person is posting whenever they post.

What's a little sad is that people will often come on and say "Oh my God, I have 2 ignores!  WHAT have I done?   HOW could I have hurt someone's feelings?   Oh this is awful, someone doesn't LIKE me!" 

On a list with 1000 active members, that's not an amazing thing.   Matter of fact, when someone enters that, a few of us will try to desensitize them and bring them back to reality by hitting IGNORE on them and saying "Oh NOW look!   You have FOUR Ignores!   Some people, eh?"

It's just a silly game; I obviously like silly games sometimes!

On the big signatures, you can change your PREFERENCES to not display signatures; makes the page load a lot faster without having to Ignore an individual.    I guess Dean still has that huge picture of a woman with her skirt blown up; I haven't looked for years ..... 

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 09:17:59 AM »

I guess Dean still has that huge picture of a woman with her skirt blown up; I haven't looked for years ..... 

Lannis

Gone
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
On the big signatures, you can change your PREFERENCES to not display signatures; makes the page load a lot faster without having to Ignore an individual.

YEAH, I considered that (updating preferences). BUT a lot of people put useful stuff in their signatures, like bike model(s) that can be helpful when trying to answer a question.

Dean, hope you know buddy I do want to know what you have to say...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:22:12 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
Gone

And preferences changed back!   As Kev said, sometimes interesting stuff in the signatures but my steam-powered ISP link doesn't have much bandwidth so I have to pick and choose what I select to bring up!!

One of those "First World" problems.

Lannis

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »
YEAH, I considered that (updating preferences). BUT a lot of people put useful stuff in their signatures, like bike model(s) that can be helpful when trying to answer a question.

Dean, hope you know buddy I do want to know what you have to say...

I'm still here just dropped the pic of the girl.

Yeah on the slow Internet, we're on the squirrel and nut DSL over here, will have Verizon at the lake when we move, it will still be DSL but more reliable. Hard to get cable when you're out in the country.

Dean
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:58:49 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
Facebook has become a self-promotion arena and the whole "likes" thing fuels it. That's where I'm coming from. If someone says something I like, I take the time to let them know. It's not such a superficial quick click of a button. It means much more to people when you take the time to post something that says you agree, much like taking the time to tell someone in person. I'm not into one-click popularity contests.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
So did I! I asked for the original source. I'm just a dirty old man!
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
When I use my iPad ,the ignore button is easy to inadvertly hit when I scroll from the left side. So I check to see who I'm ignoring when I think of it.

I have done that a few times and have caught them in passing and of course rescinded that ignore. Wish there was some way to know that I had made that mistake. Personally I think the  ignore button is silly.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
I don't, and won't use Facebook. Two weeks was enough for me! Canceled my account right quick. I don't type well, so posting a few sentences takes a bit more effort than some of you folks. Most anything I have to say is almost always said by someone else here on the forum and a like button ( on the other forum) just gives me a simple way to agree. Also no one ever complains about the Like feature on the other forum, unlike the Ignore feature here. That's with I'd guess 10 times the traffic also. This subject comes up here every now and then and I may be guilty of it another time or two. Guess I feel this might be an area that could be improved here. Super valuable forum for the Moto Guzzi owner this is! My Norge would have been long gone by now, actually probably never bought, without the collection of good folks here giving freely of info. I think every effort should be made to make folks feel welcome here. Good for the brand me thinks.

Stay safe, John
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 11:18:31 AM »
John , we agree on the welcoming thing . Don't worry over much re the ignore feature , my guess is less than 1% of WG's members use it at any given time . Sometimes family just needs a time out .

Dusty

More good advice ^^this^^! ;-T

Penderic

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
Thanks . Yes , the  ;-T is a powerful tool .

Dusty

;-T
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:19:23 PM by Penderic »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
I had to un ignore a LOT of people just to see what this thread was about.

~;
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
A LIKE button?

A kum-by-ya button.  That's just so sweet.  Like OMG sweet*.   ::)

My daughter belonged to one of those 'positive strokes only' web groups where she assigned little kitty paws with a furry thumb up to the posts.  She could click for one or more of the approving felines depending on whether it was the most awesome post, or if it was like, the most awesomest post EVER.  The site gave one to every post just so everyone got one for anything they said, because after all, there are no bad posts, just bad punctuation.  I guess any pecking order was determined by the sheer volume of cats collected -- probably a direct reflection of the members in real life.  There was nothing to signify a post you didn't like, but hey -- ebay doesn't let you give honest feedback either . . .

* Apologies to WG member OMG, who resembles this in name only.)

Offline DCWCALI

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
Huh!  I honestly thought you had to be ignored before you were considered an active member on this site. 
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2004 Kawa Z1000
2003 Suzuki SV1000

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
Huh!  I honestly thought you had to be ignored before you were considered an active member on this site. 

Well, you DO, but don't tell everyone, or they'll be paying people to ignore them ....

Lannis

Offline DCWCALI

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »
Well, now I know it's not you Lannis. 
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2004 Kawa Z1000
2003 Suzuki SV1000

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »
Well, now I know it's not you Lannis.  

Never me, I don't want to miss a thing.   Besides, if you just want to jerk someone's chain, you can "Ignore" them so it shows up in their Profile, but you can still read their posts.  

Now that KevM has mentioned it, though, why IS the "number of ignores" visible in other people's public profile?    Does that public visibility serve some useful list function?  I can't imagine what it could be.

Seems to me it would be more useful to keep the number private, OR have the identity of the "Ignorers" listed so that the just the "Ignoree" could see it.   Now THAT might be useful (humerous?) information.   You used to be able to see that; I noticed once that I had two dead guys ignoring me, which doesn't seem very productive .... ?

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:45:25 PM by Lannis »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
So did I! I asked for the original source. I'm just a dirty old man!

While you're surfing the DOM sites to find the drawing of the girl on the Bantam, see if you can find the one that's a photo-style ink drawing of a girl on a 40's Harley-Davidson sitting on the bike in what looks like the 1950s from the buildings and hair style, parked on the street in a small town.   Found it years ago and lost it ....

Lannis

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »
Never me, I don't want to miss a thing.   Besides, if you just want to jerk someone's chain, you can "Ignore" them so it shows up in their Profile, but you can still read their posts.  

Now that KevM has mentioned it, though, why IS the "number of ignores" visible in other people's public profile?    Does that public visibility serve some useful list function?  I can't imagine what it could be.

Seems to me it would be more useful to keep the number private, OR have the identity of the "Ignorers" listed so that the just the "Ignoree" could see it.   Now THAT might be useful (humerous?) information.   You used to be able to see that; I noticed once that I had two dead guys ignoring me, which doesn't seem very productive .... ?

Lannis

LIKE  ::)
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 06:36:23 PM »
...I noticed once that I had two dead guys ignoring me, which doesn't seem very productive .... ?

It might be better than having two dead guys paying attention to you.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
I spend most of my time lurking mostly because there are a few members that feel the need to post something to every thread and, more often than not, don't really contribute anything.  Only one has gotten the "Ignore" button and he found the need to post in this thread as well.

I like the button.

So.......Lannis or Dusty?
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Another frequented forum uses "Like" feature instead of "Ignore"...
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »
I spend most of my time lurking mostly because there are a few members that feel the need to post something to every thread and, more often than not, don't really contribute anything.  Only one has gotten the "Ignore" button and he found the need to post in this thread as well.

I like the button.
Not for nothing, but isn't that poor logic?

Think about it.

It basically equates to:

Some people post too much and don't contribute enough so I (Pokey) just read and don't contribute.

And

Some people post too much so I (Pokey) just read, but I don't read anything they might say.

Hey do what you want, but it doesn't it really equate to self-exclusion from a community in which you only choose to participate voyeuristically?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
There's a local riders forum I look at from time to time. It might get a post every week or two. If someone does post something,and if someone replys, it's a smart-ass or negative response, but there's always plenty of lurkers checking in but not contributing. Our camp fire talks here make this forum work. I have actually met some friends here from other states that I'll meet up with and ride unlike the local forum.

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 07:24:28 PM »
So.......Lannis or Dusty?

:D :D :D :D

Oh , it's probably me  ;D

Dusty

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 07:33:20 PM »
:D :D :D :D

Oh , it's probably me  ;D

Dusty

Probably right Lannis only chimes in to stir up s$%t ;D

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
Probably right Lannis only chimes in to stir up s$%t ;D

Oh, listen who's talking ....  :o

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here