Author Topic: Test rode a Ducati Scrambler and a Monster 821 today. Some Guzzi content...  (Read 13828 times)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
The Scrambler had a Termingoni (sp) on it, both bikes essentially new, 24 and 2 miles or so. The owner led on the M821 and we traded off part way through. The Scrambler small with dirt bike of yesteryear ergos. The handlebars were to high for speeds over 60mph. I'm sure it would be an absolute blast on dirt roads. Plenty of power and quite agile. The owner power wheelied it 4 or 5 times after we traded, if I'd a known... Brakes were good, seat comfy enough. This would make me an excellent 2nd bike, however NOT an only bike. Day trips of a couple hundred miles or maybe an overnight. Alaska? Er...No. Very fun. This is a keep the Norge and slide this in the garage next to it bike. Back of a camper bike? You bet! It would be really easy to trailer and light enough to do so behind a small car.

M821 was civilized, stable, powerful when called (up to 7k rpm) on. Very pleasing stock exhaust. Just the right amount of forward lean to take the weight off the grips at speed. Loved the narrowness at the knees. No surprises. Agile, athletic but not difficult. Really fit me well (5'3" 135#). I must say I really liked this bike a lot. Suspension for my little butt would probably be more than adequate. Quieter w/o earplugs than my Norge with them, got to get rid of the buffeting. It could work with additions like- bags, throttlemeister, heated grips, air horn, 12v socket, Givi A666 windshield (maybe) or Duc's mini fairing as an only bike as long as my wife decides to ride less rather than more. Settled in to it quickly. Should of checked what kind of miles we did, but it was short, I'd guess 12-15 miles total. That's ok, I just ordered new hearing aids Monday so a new bike is out until that dust settles. Yup, I told em before we started.

There is so much I like about the V7II, ABS, shaft, bag options, small fairings/windshields, ease of maintenance, and this forum last but not least! I test rode a Breva 750 when they first came out. Rumors of the larger Breva kept that out of the equation. Rumors of the Norge kept the 1100 Breva (after a test ride) out of the equation. Rumors of a V7III with a few more ponies....? Guess I won't know what will happen till it does.

Ironically I get a phone call from the HD dealer while at the Ducati dealership... ;D I didn't pick up, I just plain like most all 2 wheeled machines and a winning lottery ticket would make the immediate local to me motorcycle world very happy. It's pretty fun trying to find the right next bike ;-T.

Stay safe, happy spring! John
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:09:32 AM by Adk.IBO »
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 11:11:46 PM »
Great reports, thanks. Especially liked to hear about the Scrambler!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
My SO is mumbling about getting on another bike and we are sorta looking.  She likes the FZ07, but I am steering her to look at the Scrambler and V7 before any decisions.  I push ABS, she rides as if she has NO brakes, so maybe a non issue.

Course I really think having me trade/sell the KTM 500xc-w is the real intent, saves us a lot on hospital bills probably.  LOL, I'm getting too old to fall off dirtbikes anymore!

Thanks for the report.  I like Ducs a lot!
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
My SO is mumbling about getting on another bike and we are sorta looking.  She likes the FZ07, but I am steering her to look at the Scrambler and V7 before any decisions.  I push ABS, she rides as if she has NO brakes, so maybe a non issue.

I test rode the FZ07, and the FZ09 before buying my Monster 796 (from which the Scramber's motor comes from).    I liked both the Yamahas.   Both are excellent offerings, esp. at their respective price points.   The FZ07 is, in ride and feel very similar to an SV650, and better looking than the SVF650 that replaced the SV650.

I got my Monster as a leftover at a $1,500 discount (red suspenders Guzzi content), which got it closer in price to the FZ09.   I liked the character of the Ducati engine, and also that it is air cooled.   I could have had the FZ09 for $1k less, or a Street Triple R that was being discounted for similar money.    Both are faster bikes than the M796, and are in fact competitive with the M821.    I don't need the extra power.   The M796 is more than enough for my desires.

You see lots of forum posts complaining about the cheap suspensions of the FZ07, and esp. the FZ09.   People are expecting the $8k FZ09 to have a suspension equal to that of the $13k R1.    For MY riding, both were fine, but, I would potentially eventually upgrade it.   I also rode the Street Triple R.    The FZ09 is a fast bike, a little faster than the Street Triple, and a little more faster than the M796.    The FZ07 is similar in performance to, if not a little slower than the 696.    With the cross-plane crank, the FZ07 has the same exhaust rhythm as a 90 degree V-twin, but, being water cooled, it is more subdued.  Also, the Desmo valve train allows for a more radical cam profile, which gives the Ducati it's distinct sound.

OK, back to the Scrambler.   It's motor is a slightly detuned version of the 803cc motor in my M796.   I LOVE this motor.  I would guess that in practice, it really doesn't feel any slower than the 796, as it likely trades off a little top end for more low end grunt.   It has lots of torque, esp. for a barely-over-400 lb bike.    The stock exhaust sound fantastic without being too loud.    I would expect the Scrambler's stock exhaust to be similar.

If I hadn't just bought my M796 last August, I likely would be buying a Scrambler now.    There is a LOT to like about them.

I have Hepco & Becker C-bow bags and mounts on my 796.   I would expect them to become available for the scrambler as well.    Those plus a tank bag, and a tail bag, and/or some good tie down straps to tie camping gear, etc to the seat would make it an acceptable bike for occasional light touring.

Kev M's wife, Jenn happily tours on her Monster with just a dry bag strapped to the seat.    Of course, it helps that he has a pair of side-cases and a top case on his V7 Stone to carry the rest.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Wildguzzi.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Kev M's wife, Jenn happily tours on her Monster with just a dry bag strapped to the seat.    Of course, it helps that he has a pair of side-cases and a top case on his V7 Stone to carry the rest.

Nah, I don't think I carry anything for her. I'm all like "you want to tour on that when we have two other barged out bikes with cases, then stuff your stuff in that dry bag....oh, and do you have room to carry this for me".  :-[  :D  :BEER:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
Nice report jas67.  Jean put over 13,000 touring miles on her 696 and liked it a lot.  I am at a loss why she is not hot on the Scrambler, she even at one point was thinking of upgrading the M696 to M796.  Her IS is 26" so there is that, I must lower what ever she decides on.

She did get drowned like a rat in rain showers with not much protection and the complained of the heat from the pipes on the 696.   I wrapped them and it helped she said.  We had a givi screen on it and gave pretty good wind protection for highway use.  I kept the spring (perfect for her weight) and expect it may fit the scrambler's shock tho the ratio may be different.

She doesn't really like the look of the V7, says it is too Bonny looking, I go, but it is 100 lbs lighter and no chain, no comparison.  She also doesn't like the slight tilting when revving the engine (she gets this from riding behind me on the Griso)??
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
...she even at one point was thinking of upgrading the M696 to M796.  Her IS is 26" so there is that, I must lower what ever she decides on.

I haven't ridden an M696 and M796 back to back, but, I'm not sure that if I had an M696 that I'd bother upgrading to the M796.   I do like the single sided swing arm, and while it has more low end torque and is a little quicker overall, I don't think I'd sell one to get the other, esp. if I had owned the M696 since new.

Now the an M1100EVO  ~;, that's another story.

There have been quite a few low-miles examples of those for sale lately, making me wish I hadn't bought my M796 new.   I haven't ridden one, but, I'll bet they've got some nice torque   ;D
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
Meh, your 796 is something special to you... It's the first bike you ever bought new right? And it's the last year of the air cooled monster.

We already know it's faster than you'll ever need and arguably more capable than anything you will ever use in the street.

So enjoy it, hang onto it. It's the perfect less is more, future classic Ducati.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »
Meh, your 796 is something special to you... It's the first bike you ever bought new right? And it's the last year of the air cooled monster.

We already know it's faster than you'll ever need and arguably more capable than anything you will ever use in the street.

So enjoy it, hang onto it. It's the perfect less is more, future classic Ducati.

All true, and all reasons that I would not part with it.    I definitely don't need more power.     It's like the momma bear of the three -- just right.
My V7R has plenty of power for most of my riding, but, I do appreciate the M796's power for hilly riding.   Some of my favorite roads have some pretty steep uphill passing zones.    The M796 makes those passes in a much shorter distance, and sounds fantastic doing it.   ;D
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
The baby bear... Was just right.

Just saying...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
Welp, we head to big "D" this morning to take a look at the scrambler and all things Ducati, then mosey over to RPM for a sit on the old V7.  But me thinks she has her sights set on the FZ07.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Welp, we head to big "D" this morning to take a look at the scrambler and all things Ducati, then mosey over to RPM for a sit on the old V7.  But me thinks she has her sights set on the FZ07.

I learned this lesson with Jenn when she was talking about the Ducati, Ducati, Ducati, and I tried to get her to consider a V7... and she immediately bought the Ducati.  :D :BEER:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero

...M821 was civilized, stable, powerful when called (up to 7k rpm) on. Very pleasing stock exhaust. Just the right amount of forward lean to take the weight off the grips at speed. Loved the narrowness at the knees. No surprises. Agile, athletic but not difficult. Really fit me well (5'3" 135#). I must say I really liked this bike a lot. Suspension for my little butt would probably be more than adequate. Quieter w/o earplugs than my Norge with them, got to get rid of the buffeting. It could work with additions like- bags, throttlemeister, heated grips, air horn, 12v socket, Givi A666 windshield (maybe) or Duc's mini fairing as an only bike as long as my wife decides to ride less rather than more. Settled in to it quickly.....

I've had Monster fever since they were first released.  I finally broke down and bought an 821 last summer.  Great bike, great engine.  I keep hoping Ducati will do an 821 Multistrada - I'd definately be interested.

Just heard that AF1 got the new v7II in.  I'll be down there today and check it out.  After following Chuck's saga on the 750 aero motor I really don't understand why Guzzi didn't make the changes needed to get another 10hp out of the v7.  R&D was done.  new piston and heads - viola you have it.  Oh well...
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
Just heard that AF1 got the new v7II in.  I'll be down there today and check it out.  After following Chuck's saga on the 750 aero motor I really don't understand why Guzzi didn't make the changes needed to get another 10hp out of the v7.  R&D was done.  new piston and heads - viola you have it.  Oh well...

I'm pretty sure that the reason MG didn't (and probably won't) increase the HP of the V7 has to do with the tiered MC license system that is used in most, if not all, of Europe & Great Britain.  The cutoff for one tier is right at the present HP rating of the V7 and just one or two more HP will kick it into a different tier which will require the operator to pay a bunch of money to get licensed for the next tier.  The insurance rates also rise with each tier.  IMHO, it's a stupid system and does nothing but generate more money for the politicians to squander and cause more trouble and money for those who ride.
NO longer can ride

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
I'm pretty sure that the reason MG didn't (and probably won't) increase the HP of the V7 has to do with the tiered MC license system that is used in most, if not all, of Europe & Great Britain.  The cutoff for one tier is right at the present HP rating of the V7 and just one or two more HP will kick it into a different tier which will require the operator to pay a bunch of money to get licensed for the next tier.  The insurance rates also rise with each tier.  IMHO, it's a stupid system and does nothing but generate more money for the politicians to squander and cause more trouble and money for those who ride.

Doesn't mean they can't have both.

Maybe that's why they called this the V7 II ?

Moving forward they could have versions with higher hp motors and keep the old lower hp motor too.

Like KevD says all the time (and I can't argue) it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the Racer higher hp with dual disks! Really set it apart from the Stone/Special.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero

There are many worse choices she could make.   The FZ07 is an enjoyable ride.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
Made it back in one piece, damn the traffic is grid lock both ways nearly on I-20.

Jean was not impressed with the Scrambler, really liked the Monster 821, I liked the Monster 1200!  AMS had 2 scramblers, but both sold, so we could only look.

They have 5 or 6 V7s at RPM, from 2013, to 2015, green, black, white, red/white special which I rode.

While I'm out riding, Jean hits the Honda side of RPM, looked at the CB500X, then NC700x, she liked the NCX, CTX700 automatic.  Mostly I believe because she could reach the floor and lift it up.  All the others would have to be lowered.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:24:31 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Made it back in one piece, damn the traffic is grid lock both ways nearly on I-20.

Jean was not impressed with the Scrambler, really liked the Monster 821, I liked the Monster 1200!  AMS had 2 scramblers, but both sold, so we could only look.

They have 5 or 6 V7s at RPM, from 2013, to 2015, green, black, white, red/white special which I rode.

While I'm out riding, Jean hits the Honda side of RPM, looked at the CB500X, then NC700x, she liked the NCX, automatic.  Mostly I believe because she could reach the floor and lift it up.  All the others would have to be lowered.

There is a HUGE difference in performance between those two Hondas and the M821.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
Yes, I know.  I just took a seat at that point and put my head in my hands.

What happens in the hills/mountains for down shifting?  I'm going to read up on it, but . . . wow.  I tried to explain the double clutch but don't believe it all made it across the translation.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
In my experience, women buy on form, fit, function... Not straight performance.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
Yep, and color.  :-)  She went straight to the matte green V7 in the middle of all the others.

The salesman at RPM was very knowledgable about all the models of Moto Guzzi and had a bike prepped for us to demo after an email and call day before we left to visit.

P.S.  He rides a KLR.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:30:16 AM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Yep, and color.  :-)  

^^This^^ dominates my wife's purchasing decisions, seems to anyway.
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Yep, and color.  :-)  She went straight to the matt green V7 in the middle of all the others.

The salesman at RPM was very knowledgable about all the models of Moto Guzzi and had a bike prepped for us to demo after an email and call day before we left to visit.

P.S.  He rides a KLR.

Was that matte green V7 a 2010 Cafe, or the new V7 Racer Verde Legnano SE (is that the LONGEST name ever for a Guzz)?
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 07:17:30 AM »
Form includes color, so yeah, agreed.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Was that matte green V7 a 2010 Cafe, or the new V7 Racer Verde Legnano SE (is that the LONGEST name ever for a Guzz)?
I think he means the new matte green Stone V7II.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
Think it was a 2014 Stone, RPM is expecting the V7IIs in a few days, or they may have one in a crate??  I believe they had 5 or 6 Stones plus the Special I demoed.

The V7 I demoed.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:28:28 AM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 07:34:55 AM »
Ah sorry, pre V7II, yeah, what was I thinking. We recently had a new board member from Philly post his and it couldn't be a V7II... too soon for that.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
We had our local monthly meeting this morning at the new BMW shop.  Price of motorcycles just went up, now she likes the F700GS.  I demoed, power about the same as the V7 but lasted longer in each gear and was smoother.  Great brakes, gear indicator (she loves) suspension felt great for me with the preload all the way backed off.  Still would need to lower couple of inches to get rid of her boots with 1-1/2" thick soles, she says there is no feel in shifting.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:11:26 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
We had our local monthly meeting this morning at the new BMW shop.  Price of motorcycles just went up, now she likes the F700GS.  I demoed, power about the same as the V7 but lasted longer in each gear and was smoother.  Great brakes, gear indicator (she loves) suspension felt great for me with the preload all the way backed off.  Still would need to lower couple of inches to get rid of her boots with 1-1/2" thick soles, she says there is no feel in shifting.

Looks good in red and black.    The suspension on those is great on rough roads, nice and complaint.     The fuel economy is excellent too, should return low-60's MPG.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
I was mildly impressed with the suspension, engine was very tight, of course new, and I didn't push on it.  Nice ride.  They have addressed the short riders and lost some weight (460lbs curb weight) from the old F650GS twins, she had the 2010 model.  This one felt a lot different, but it has been a long time since we sold the F650GS.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here