Author Topic: Always thought I should own one Harley...  (Read 19314 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Always thought I should own one Harley...
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
I too like the Roadster.  I've tried it out on the showroom.  May have to test ride that puppy at Daytona next year.

I've never owned a Sportster, only Big Twins.  If H-D does introduce 4-Valve heads on the new models as leaked photos predict, they may migrate the technology down to the Sportster series ... eventually.

In the mean time, a new Roadster with fresh Ohlins shocks and fork treatment up front along with the $2200 Screamin Eagle engine upgrade kit for 100 rwhp, could make a sweet machine!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:46:22 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
Damn Lannis, you just make me wanna diss Aerostars but I just don't know all there is to know about them. Even had to outdo my wife story... Funny that, seems to be only a few that know all there is to know about incredible amounts of things, one being my 7 year old grandson, but at least he's funny and cute about it...and family besides. :huh: It ain't the suspenders, I have some red ones and use another pair on my tool belt. I can appreciate their usefulness.

Thanks to all that appreciate and get that this new Roadster has potential to be good at stopping and turning, looking forward to it...

Ever wonder if your words look the same to others as they do to you when you spit them out on a keyboard? That's why my post count is low for how long I've been hangin' out here.

Wildguzzi seems to have more folks that ride other brands than any other brand specific forum. Kudos! This will be my 14th brand out of 27 motorcycles, only a couple of them were ones I wished I had something else instead. Didn't keep 'em long. Still enjoyed most every mile I ever rode. My Norge will break a personal record for most miles on a single bike, it's been good. Could not have owned a Guzzi without the incredible amounts of info here, just need to wade through some of the drivel to get to it. The jury will remain out for a while to decide if the Roadster will replace the Norge or become a stablemate. I've generally only kept one motorcycle at a time.

Stay safe, John

'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »
Our states Grand Pohbah and I visited the worlds largest Harley dealer a few weeks back. I had no idea there was such a thing as a Roadster and they had two.

Sat on it after it grabbed my eyes. I liked it. But it was an HD Griso and since I have a Griso, and I think it's a better bike than the Roadster - for that niche, I had to pass. But she was tempting. If I win the lottery....
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »
But in my highly opinionated opinion; those fenders are too damn small......  :rolleyes:
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2016, 06:13:29 AM »
But in my highly opinionated opinion; those fenders are too damn small......  :rolleyes:

Agreed, biggest complaint, that and the small fuel tank... That's why it will take a while to decide what stays and what goes. My luck and lack of patience will undoubtedly equate to the release of a more traditional 'Roadster' that has fenders, a real fuel tank, and the ability to easily add bags and such...
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2016, 08:02:51 AM »
Damn Lannis, you just make me wanna diss Aerostars but I just don't know all there is to know about them.

It's perfectly fine with me if you want to diss Aerostars, whether you "know all there is to know about them" or not.   

Never have understood why it bothers people so bad when it's revealed, on a discussion board, that not everyone likes the same motorcycles, beer, or cars.   

Is everyone just supposed to agree on their favorite everything?   I've owned Harleys, I've got over 100,000 miles on them, and I have an opinion about them.   I just don't understand why it should hurt anyone's feelings or burst anyone's bubbles if opinions are expressed on a discussion board when the subject is brought up ... ?

Oh well.   That's life.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2016, 08:19:07 AM »
Hey mods, how about a merged threadfest of all Lannis' posts bitching about other people being taken aback at his "opinions" and defining "discussion board" for us.

Or would that just be tantamount to hitting the "see his posts" button.

:evil::kiss::boozing:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
I guess we all have a "right" to be as negative as we want to be. The op has 389 posts. It wouldn't hurt to just be nice to the guy would it?
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »
Hey mods, how about a merged threadfest of all Lannis' posts bitching about other people being taken aback at his "opinions" and defining "discussion board" for us.

OR we could do a merged threadfest of all of KevM's posts bitching about people bitching about .... no, there's probably not enough link storage for all of that ...   :grin:   Sorry Kev, I just went back and (in the spirit of self-evaluation) read my last 100 posts, and your assessment is complete B.S.   As they often are.   :bow:

Guzzistajohn, tell me honestly now - HOW is saying "I've owned Harleys and I won't own any more" on a Guzzi discussion board seen as being "Not Nice" to someone?   Really.   I have no reason to not be nice to people.   Well, except for Kev and he's got the same BB tools as I do ...

Lannis
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:33:56 AM by Lannis »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 08:32:23 AM »
For what I have into a new Norge with all the fixings I could have spent the same amount of money on a used Harley (forget the Sporty). The Harley would run way slower, have a 5 speed tranny and handle poorly. Beside every Tom DICK and Harry owns one.  :boozing:

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »
I had three H-Ds in 10 years, back in the day before it became more of a fashion statement than a motorcycle.   Nowadays, I'd get a Gucci man-purse or be "rolling coal" in a diesel crew-cab F350 before I'd get a new Harley.   

But that's just me.

Lannis

The implication is this Lannis . Back when Lannis  rode a Harley it was cool because no one else was riding Harleys , but now only a person interested in making a fashion statement or acting a Richard would ride one . The emphasis being on "Lannis" .This is not a statement on how you feel about Harleys , rather an insult directed at the OP for choosing to purchase one . Or at least most members here are perceiving it thus . This is a discussion board , not a vehicle to deliver thinly veiled insults .

Dusty

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:47:32 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »
The implication is this Lannis . Back when Lannis  rode a Harley it was cool because no one else was riding Harleys , but now only a person interested in making a fashion statement or acting a Richard would ride one . The emphasis being on "Lannis" .This is not a statement on how you feel about Harleys , rather an insult directed at the OP for choosing to purchase one . Or at least most members here are perceiving it thus . This is a discussion board , not a vehicle to deliver thinly veiled insults .

Dusty

So as long as you're "moderating", how about go back and look to see where the thread went from discussing Harleys to discussion the opinion writers?   That seems like a good place to start moderating.   

And how about the posts where someone considering a Harley should "lie down until it went away" or "Tom DICK and Harry" would own one?    Perhaps thinly veiled "insults" on the sanity or dickishness of anyone considering a Harley?   I guess not, according to whatever 'standard' is being applied.   I do realize that it doesn't have to be "fair", and accept it.

Lannis

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 08:58:32 AM »
Thanks for taking the bait.  :grin:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
Thanks for taking the bait.  :grin:

I HAVE noticed that our conversations at rallies sound nothing like our exchanges on this list.

There's probably a subclause of Godwin's Law that explains that .....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2016, 09:05:25 AM »
So as long as you're "moderating", how about go back and look to see where the thread went from discussing Harleys to discussion the opinion writers?   That seems like a good place to start moderating.   

And how about the posts where someone considering a Harley should "lie down until it went away" or "Tom DICK and Harry" would own one?    Perhaps thinly veiled "insults" on the sanity or dickishness of anyone considering a Harley?   I guess not, according to whatever 'standard' is being applied.   I do realize that it doesn't have to be "fair", and accept it.

Lannis

I have no problem with you expressing opinions , what I do have a problem with is the need to belittle other members for making a choice . The OP's deciding to purchase a new Sportster has nothing to do with Lannis , until Lannis decides that the OP needs to be insulted for his purchase.

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »

I'd like to combine Kev's and Lannis' posts all under one thread.

Then Dusty would have to get a big shovel and some tall rubber boots to clean it all up........:shocked:

But at least it would be all be in once place!
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
Come on now, you guys are making it real hard for me to keep up!!!!  I thought man purses and loafers were the standard Ducati slam, not Harley. Next are you're gonna start sayin' The Ducati riders will be sporting Jack Boots and big wallets with chains and "get back" whips?  Of course there is the Hipster thing, so I may not have a clue anymore!  A little help there Dusty!

On topic, I had a 2007 XL1200R a while back and other than what the PO did to it, it was a good well made solid bike. Even with taller shocks in back it would drag the mid pegs too early even with a mild lean, took a lot of effort to turn (heavy steering) and every time I rode it anywhere, I always wished I was on a different bike at some point in the ride.  My 25 YO son liked it better than I did and wasn't happy when I sold it on.  I knew I wouldn't ride it much.

Even with that experience, I still want to ride one of the new Roadsters, because I don't know why.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline gstock

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »
...so my 2017 Roadster is on order. I'll be 60 in '17 and so will the Sportster, maybe it will be an anniversary model! The test ride proved to be the best handling Harley I had ever been on, for me and my riding style. It will be a different experience for sure. Does this mean I'll get more waves? :tongue:

Congratulations on placing the order! It would be really interesting to hear about your experiences with the Norge vs. the Roadster once you get it delivered. Will the Roadster come with windshield, saddlebags, etc?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
I used to ride my Ducati with a chain drive wallet
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
Congratulations on placing the order! It would be really interesting to hear about your experiences with the Norge vs. the Roadster once you get it delivered. Will the Roadster come with windshield, saddlebags, etc?

Thanks! Ultimately I'd like the Harley 1/4 fairing. Bags will be a surprise hopefully after thanksgiving.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
I'd like to combine Kev's and Lannis' posts all under one thread.

Then Dusty would have to get a big shovel and some tall rubber boots to clean it all up........:shocked:

But at least it would be all be in once place!

That would be around 43,000 posts.

What a thought!   Forty Three Thousand!   No shovel big enough nor boots tall enough for that.

Lannis

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »
I used to ride my Ducati with a chain drive wallet

fashion plate.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
1) It does seem to me that the moderators are a bit sensitive here.
2) 59 bikes in 51 years of riding have taught me that no other marque supports their riders more than Harley. (I used to make fun of them & only acquired my 1st one in 2008.)
3) Just finished a 6800K lap of the U. S. On a '13 Switchback to pick up 7 states leaving only Alaska. 70-80 mph when on I-40 or I-90.  Local speeds most of the trip. Bike never faltered in any way.
4) Example referring to #2: 1941 or so a boy graduated from high school & was given a HD as a present. He became a gunner on a bomber & never came home. Mom bundled up his sport & riding misc & put in the corner of the garage. Later she built a shed out back & put it all in there. She passed, willing it to a non-riding nephew who tried to ride it a couple times but decided to sell. He contacted a couple museums who wanted to cherry pick the collection so he declined. HD found out about the collection, bought it all & diplayed the bike & riding gear in the foyer of their museum or hdqtrs (I don't remember) during the Memorial Day period a few years ago. That means something to me.
5) Observe a HD parking lot on Saturday compared to any other marque.  (I will say the Triumph-Piaggio-new MG dealer here n Reno comes close)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »
Agreed, biggest complaint, that and the small fuel tank... That's why it will take a while to decide what stays and what goes. My luck and lack of patience will undoubtedly equate to the release of a more traditional 'Roadster' that has fenders, a real fuel tank, and the ability to easily add bags and such...

Yes! I forgot about that dang tank! I'm pretty sure there are Harley tanks that would bolt on there as well as after market fenders (or perhaps one off another model). It appears to me that it may be too short to go for a FenderExtender (brand name spelling?).

Normally I would say that no one would be foolish enough to tour on such a machine but coming home from a Guzzi rally in Ely Nevada this summer I ran across two guys on Sportsters in Ash Springs. Tiny peanut tanks. They said the one bike got 100 miles and the other got 80 between fill ups. They were from California. I my mind you need a good 150 mile tank when you take on Nevada.

They also had this odd habit of shooting down the road at 95+ (I paced them for a bit) then pulling over and stopping. No mechanical issues, maybe they just needed to warm up. Young people (shakes fists in air)!

Maybe you could do what one of the kids had done, haul a rotopack fuel cell along for your longer rides (unless you find yourself enjoying the bike and want to tank longer rides without the hassle of hauling extra gas).
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
That would be around 43,000 posts.

What a thought!   Forty Three Thousand!   No shovel big enough nor boots tall enough for that.

Lannis

yes, but the bright side it would keep Dusty pretty busy and the rest of us could into mischief.   :evil:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
Lannis, I for one am glad you are back here. Hope you and the family are fine.  I had a 79 Sportster for two years.  Liked the look but always was worried it was going to get stolen. Ninety miles to an empty gas tank.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 07:25:32 PM by Bob Wegman »
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »

but I do make exceptions for Sportsters

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
Lannis, I for one am glad you are back here. Hope you and the family are fine.  I had a 79 Sportster for two years.  Liked the look but always was worried it was going to get stolen. Ninety miles to an empty gas tank.

Bob -

All fine here, thanks!!

I always thought that a Sportster (properly prepped and fettled) would make a good All Around Bike like a Triumph Tiger, BSA Thunderbolt, or Suzuki Titan back in the day.    Fit it up with some panniers and a windshield and go touring or mountain road scratching, it would be simple and basic and easy to work on ....

.... You could almost solve the gas tank problem with an old style Sportster "H" tank, at least have 3.5 gallons.   But no one could solve the vibration problem.   I've had several 650 BSAs (have two now) that with dynamic crank balancing and an EI are as smooth as they need to be, almost as smooth as an old Guzzi.   

I don't think you can do that with a solid mount 45 degree V Sportster, at least no one I've talked to has ever owned one, and no shop has ever said they could do it ....  And then the Cult took over and it was a moot point ....

Lannis

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »
Yes! I forgot about that dang tank! I'm pretty sure there are Harley tanks that would bolt on there as well as after market fenders (or perhaps one off another model). It appears to me that it may be too short to go for a FenderExtender (brand name spelling?).

Normally I would say that no one would be foolish enough to tour on such a machine but coming home from a Guzzi rally in Ely Nevada this summer I ran across two guys on Sportsters in Ash Springs. Tiny peanut tanks. They said the one bike got 100 miles and the other got 80 between fill ups. They were from California. I my mind you need a good 150 mile tank when you take on Nevada.

They also had this odd habit of shooting down the road at 95+ (I paced them for a bit) then pulling over and stopping. No mechanical issues, maybe they just needed to warm up. Young people (shakes fists in air)!

Maybe you could do what one of the kids had done, haul a rotopack fuel cell along for your longer rides (unless you find yourself enjoying the bike and want to tank longer rides without the hassle of hauling extra gas).

The Roadster has a 3.3 gallon tank. H-D says fuel economy is average 48 MPG combined city/highway.

Could be worse.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
Best Sportster I have ridden or owned  is the Buell S3 Thunderbolt. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here