Author Topic: Greyhound Bus closed in Tyler.  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
Greyhound Bus closed in Tyler.
« on: February 27, 2020, 02:13:12 PM »
Tyler, Texas with a population of over 100K no longer has a Greyhound station. I went by it the other day and a 6 foot fence was built around it. I shipped a number of things by the dawg and always had good luck. I shipped a faring to San Fran and it made it in two days.

Guzzi content. You can take your date to Greyhound bus station and have a cheap meal from the vending machines, plus people watch.

My last Greyhound ride was from Nashua, MH back to Tyler, TX. In Memphis the Border Patrol came on and gave us a once over.

Shipping has gotten outrageous and Greyhound was the only one for shipping big heavy items like motors, trannies and faring.

OK, so how many are putting on their bucket list to go to the Greyhound Bus Station and have a meal from the vending machines? Fifty years ago Greyhound had lunch counters with greasy food.

Tex

oldbike54

Re: Greyhound Bus closed in Tyler.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 02:16:35 PM »
 I have found that bowling alley food is a decent substitute for a cheap date  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 02:33:42 PM »
The bowling alley I bowl in has damn good food. A little spendy but good.
I used to ride the dawg from St. Charles, MO to St. Peter's, MO (the apostrophe is correct) when I was about 10 or so. Dad worked down the street from the station and I would walk there and buy a ticket. Iirc it was 35 cents. Then I 70 was fairly new where I lived (the first contract was let in St. Charles) and it didn't have limited access interchanges. The bus would stop on the shoulder and I'd get off. With the change from my dollar I would go into Old Town St. Peter's and get a soda and ice cream. There were no fences then. It was a half mile walk home.

Tyler has a great dirt track..

1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »
Thats funny Tex!! Hey, when I was dating my wife, I used to take her to eat sometimes at the local hospital cafeteria. The food was great, home made,  fantastic fresh salad bar, and homemade soups .They would serve huge portions,and it was dirt cheap! ( Guzzisti content) The ambiance was not bad either, they had an immaculately clean restaurant type eating area and it was always beautifully decorated for the season, by the ladies auxilliary.
  Many smaller to medium sized hospitals, im sure would be similar. The big institutions I have tried  on the most part are expensive and the food generic, and bland.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »

Offline BobA

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »
When traveling cross country I'd ship appropiate weight clothes to a station enroute, pick-up, re-pack and send those clothes to the next station  where I'd need them. GH never complained about dirty clothes odor, or the Mad Dog 20/20 bottles pushed down into the seats. Also handy for buying bunky items while traveling and cheaply ship them home.
BobA

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:27:04 PM »

OK, so how many are putting on their bucket list to go to the Greyhound Bus Station and have a meal from the vending machines? Fifty years ago Greyhound had lunch counters with greasy food.

I hate to eat alone.  Is it possible for one to find a dinner date at the bus station?

jwinwi

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »
My only Greyhound trip didn't go very well: We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle half way across Alabam then the hound broke down and left us all standing in downtown Birmingham.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Those are lyrics from Chuck Berry's song 'Promised Land'  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:16:11 PM by jwinwi »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 04:25:39 PM »
I did a "dawg-and-ride" to pick up a Guzzi in Marietta, GA via Greyhound.    Left Lynchburg at 0300 and got to Marietta at 1200, so not too bad as far as time went.   

Different world than the car or airport world.   I wasn't sure if I was in 1960's Albania, Pakistan, or Somalia.  NO organization, complete chaos in the Athens TN bus change station, no reserved seats, it's first-push-first-serve, people sleeping under benches and on top of piles of luggage in the station, kids everywhere, the odor of orange peelings and chicken tenders permeating the limited ventilation systems ... it was sort of interesting.   From Wytheville VA to Athens, I was next to a rough-looking guy changing to St. Louis at the next stop.   I asked if that's where he was going, he said "Naw, I'm headed for Pueblo, Colorado, I've got a job there."   I said how long will it take to get there?   He said "Three days, I think."   I said where do you stay on the way?   On the bus or sleep in the station, he said, he just had the clothes on his back and a few dollars for vending machine food.  Interesting talker, and didn't seem like the kind of guy you'd offer money to and he didn't ask.   He seemed a lot like me if life had gone differently.

Athens to Marietta, I shared 25% of a two-person seat with a large lady in bright African dress and headscarf who took up the other 75% (nothing we could do about that).   Besides being warm and soft, she was also an interesting talker ... we talked about the bus.   She said "I wouldn't take the bus if it wasn't so cheap.   The bus ticket is cheaper than just the GAS for a car to make the trip ..."   And it's true.   $45 Lynchburg VA to Marietta GA, gas for any kind of car would have been that or more ....

Go Greyhound, And Leave The Driving To Us!   Ride while you can ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
My only Greyhound trip didn't go very well: We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle half way across Alabam then the hound broke down and left us all standing in downtown Birmingham.

As long as you took a midnight flyer out of Birmingham in no time yo'd have been smoking into New Orleans.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »
Once, many years ago I rode Greyhound from Kansas City to Oklahoma City.  It was in December in the dead of a cold winter's night.  The bus made a stop in Wichita, so I went inside to use the terminal's mens room.  Every stall was occupied by a homeless person (back then we still would have called them hobos some other less PC term, I suppose) sitting on the commode, wearing everything they owned against the cold, head down and asleep.  I ended up using the smelly chemical toilet on the bus...ugh.  Haven't had the need to travel by bus since, thank goodness.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 05:04:31 PM »

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Those are lyrics from Chuck Berry's song 'Promised Land'  :laugh:

"They won't let the poor boy down"
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 05:54:52 PM »
My first GH trip was at 13 yrs old, Barre VT to Reno NV in 1980.  5 days, straight through with my grandparents carrying a suitcase full of almost 100lbs of 1-piece-at-a-time supermarket silverware that Gram had collected for my aunts wedding. What an education.  Driver got lost in Chicago & stopped on a street corner to ask directions.  After Chicago, first we had a flat tire.  After that was fixed, the engine failed and a replacement bus was sent to pick us up.   Big lesson learned-always check your bags through to the destination at the first bag check and forget about them.  Sending them 1-2 days early is even better.

Another time from Spartanburg, SC to Ft Smith Arkansas to pick up a motor home.  we took a long layover in Memphis.  Had lots of fun and even more alcohol.  Got off in Conway, Arkansas for anything wet to drink and bus drove off, leaving with our full toolbox and loaded 9mm on the seat..  Woman behind the counter said "I knew he was going to do that- he's done it before. Think he does it on purpose."  Most drivers will clearly say to don't get off if you're not supposed to and he didn't.  We got a room & caught the next bus the next day.  our stuff was waiting for us at FT Smith- no issues, no questions asked.  Nowaday, probably would have been much different.

Many other trips, including two (one to/from VT and one home for the NAACP National Convention in Cincinnatti)  while protesting the deliberate outsourcing of the MLK National Memorial statue to china. 

Some drivers fellow passengers are lots of fun. Others aren't.   Hard to travel cheaper than GH. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »
Funny.  I've never ridden in a Greyhound bus.

I have a vivid memory of riding in a train at 5 years old.  Dropped off by my parents to be picked by my grandparents an hour down the line, from Edmond Okla to Blanchard Okla.  I asked my mom about that old memory.  She told me it never happened.  I must've have dreamed it.  But until she told me (and I was in my 60s when she did), I believed it really happened.  It's one of my oldest memories.

In some ways I still do.

My mom's memory isn't that good either.  She tells me things that are totally out of the right time frame and people.  But I'll take her word for it that it never happened.  I honestly can't say for certain but I accept what she said.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:40:26 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
My dad worked his entire career and retired from Greyhound in 1987. He was an accountant in the San Francisco office. I worked summer jobs and a few weeks over winter breaks while in high school and college. Greyhound had two office supply stores; one in SF and one in Des Moines. All the offices would fill out a req and send it in to the supply store. We would go up and down the aisles filling the req's and putting them in a box. All sorts of stuff... envelopes, ruled writing pads, pens, folders... whatever the office needed. At the end of the day we would take the boxes downstairs and the baggage loaders put them on whatever bus was going to where the office was. Greyhound did all their inter-office and ticket mail on the busses. When I worked in the mail room we would receive bags of mail off the busses; white bags for west of the Mississippi and purple bags for east of the Mississippi. We would sort the mail and deliver it throughout the office (yes, I was a mail boy). At they end of the day a van would take the loaded mail bags and take them to the station to load onto the busses.

One year we had to clean out an underground storage basement with 40 years of files in file boxes. That was dusty (shout out to Dusty  :cheesy:). Greyhound was in a legal battle with Trailways over route infringement in Georgia and Florida. Both sides kept stalling so they could both operate those routes for revenue. It was settled after 40 years and I think Greyhound lost.

They shipped everything. I remember stainless steel canisters filled with bull semen on dry ice being loaded onto the busses. Two years ago I had two Ambassador frames shipped Greyhound Package express. Both arrived safely.

I have a warm spot for Greyhound.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 09:42:02 PM »
The Greyhound has been extinct in Canada for a couple of years, I think they may still operate between Vancouver and Seattle but all the less lucrative routes have been axed.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 09:52:03 PM »
I recall when my two boys were considerably younger than now (and me too) and we were headed to Canada on a fishing trip.  They were living in Charleston W Va, I was living in Pittsburgh, PA, circa 1985.  My guys thought I was going to drive south 225 miles to pick them up, and 225 miles back to Pgh, PA before we headed to Canada.

No way, boys!  You're going to have to ride the 'Hound' north.  I'll pick you up at the bus station, then we'll go fishing!

That's what we did ................ and the Greyhound trip was a memorable part of the overall trip to Canada for them.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:14:09 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 09:53:16 PM »
Reading all these greyhound stories has been fun. You guys are some great storytellers!

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 09:55:09 PM »
They only time I have even considered it was bus ride to get a bike. The distance was 207 miles with 2/3 by interstate. Estimated travel time according to Greyhound was 19 hours. Didn't attempt it.  :shocked:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 09:58:26 PM »
This is one of my favorite pics with a "Greyhound" in it....actually a "Strayhound" if you look closely!!

Photo of my 73 Civilian in Bisbee Arizona, The Strayhound is the personal motor home of the owner of the famous Broken Spoke Saloons in Daytona and Sturgis. He resides in Bisbee, and has a bunch of old motorcycles on display in the front windows of his home, including a nice ambassador.
Rick.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:04:04 PM by bigbikerrick »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 05:42:46 AM »
I rode from DC to Worcester MA in 1974, the stop in NYC was quite fun with the young lady who informed me of some religious message and professed her (universal) love for me as I headed back to the bus.

Are bus/coach lines hurting? Flying has been my choice for one way trips to get a bike.

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 05:58:11 AM »
The bus station recently moved to its new home on South Southeast Loop 323.
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 05:59:05 AM »
They only time I have even considered it was bus ride to get a bike. The distance was 207 miles with 2/3 by interstate. Estimated travel time according to Greyhound was 19 hours. Didn't attempt it.  :shocked:
GliderJohn

My one experience was in the mid '60s heading home on leave from New York City to Buffalo. The Thruway was already built and driving time was under 6 hours. The bus ride took 13 hours going instead across the southern part of the state and stoping in every small town along the way. Might have been interesting if it traveled during the day but overnight, not so much.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:00:29 AM by PeteS »

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 07:01:09 AM »
I've enjoyed reading all the interesting comments. Thanks.

Cloudbase, a 6 pack of Texas Pride or a bottle of MadDawg 20/20 would help you get a date at the bus station. :laugh:

I got out of boot camp in San Diego in 1962 and spent 5 days of my 14 day leave on Greyhound. Then in 1964 I left New Orleans with a bag of fried chicken and a few bucks heading to Norfolk on the dog.  I shipped my sea bag ahead and when I got to Norfolk the bus co added storage so I had to walk 5 miles to the Navy base to get money to return for the sea bag. I vowed then and there I'd never be that broke again, but I've come close.

Thanks again, Tex

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 07:08:32 AM »
1973-4, wash dc to Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimmarron, NMex. 4 day trips staying at military bases along the way out and then back, twice..

But as a very young critter, bus to Jackson Missouri from St Louis, to see the grand folks ..

Probably the best exposure to a youngster to the wide world of people..
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 07:10:35 AM »
But from your headline all I could think of was, "The Last Picture Show",....Jeff bridges and, ......?

Vast stretches of Texas..

Cybil Shepard, Ben Johnson, Cloris Leachman, Eillen Brennan. Great movie depicting the end of the American cowboy
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:15:06 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline dustybarn

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 07:23:04 AM »
I've never ridden on a Greyhound, but I did have an exhaust system for my DeLorean shipped to me on the bus. It's by far the cheapest shipping method for bulky things like that. Picking it up at the station was entertaining... The pleasant, pierced-and-tattooed young lady who brought the huge, weirdly-shaped cardboard box out on a handcart asked me, "What's in this thing? We've all been speculating". When I told her, she paused and said, "Nope. Nobody guessed that".
'70 Ambo, w/ International (I think) sidecar, '63 Triumph TR4, '67 Datsun 1600, '81 DeLorean, '53 Packard, '85 Jag XJS, '97 Pontiac Firebird, '87 Pontiac Fiero. Most of which are half-functional derelicts.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »

Happened to me, too, but:  Right away, I bought me a through train ticket, Ridin' 'cross Mississippi clean, and I was on that midnight flier out of Birmingham, Smoking into New Orleans.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »
Funny.  I've never ridden in a Greyhound bus.

I have a vivid memory of riding in a train at 5 years old.  Dropped off by my parents to be picked by my grandparents an hour down the line, from Edmond Okla to Blanchard Okla.  I asked my mom about that old memory.  She told me it never happened.  I must've have dreamed it.  But until she told me (and I was in my 60s when she did), I believed it really happened.  It's one of my oldest memories.

In some ways I still do.

My mom's memory isn't that good either.  She tells me things that are totally out of the right time frame and people.  But I'll take her word for it that it never happened.  I honestly can't say for certain but I accept what she said.

I believe you, John...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 08:58:19 AM »
 I rode the bus several times...Must have been a requirement to hire drivers that couldn't double clutch the gearboxes....I used Greyhound for shipping stuff like car fenders.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 11:00:29 AM »
But from your headline all I could think of was, "The Last Picture Show",....Jeff bridges and, ......?

Vast stretches of Texas..

I've always thought that "Miles and miles of Texas" was a great song...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here