Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554150 times)

beetle

Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
With all the stuff out there on the 8v Griso, has anyone done work on the 2v?

Yep. I have a 2V Griso map. For exhausts with catcon & dB killers. Should work on the Arrow. I expect it won't work with the GT exhaust.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
Hi, folks.

I have just connect the cables for the first time, and am trying to get Reader to function.  First, the basics:

• Bike is a 2003 V11 Le Mans
  • I have the recommended cables
  • Cables are connected, blue LED is on, and drivers did install
  • I have run the test program successfully
  • I am running IAW15xReader
  • I only have 1 COM port (COM3)

When I launch reader, it asks me to name the bin file, which I do.  It then tells me to have the ignition off for at least 10 seconds (which it has been), then click OK, and then switch ignition on (which I do).  The counter then counts down from 20 seconds, and them prompts to turn the ignition off.  It doesn't seem that a connection is made, and the bin file is empty.  

Edit:   I do not hear the fuel pump.

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Shaun
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:03:55 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2014, 03:21:07 AM »
Shauwn, first try to connect with guzzidiag diagnostics, then you know the chain(hardware/software) works.
If that works , the connetion to a v11 might be time  critical. so after you turn ignition on, as soon as possible, push the ok button
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2014, 05:22:16 AM »
Hi, Paul.

I should have mentioned that I did also try Guzzidiag without success.  Same sort of thing where it would time out.  I did also try to do things more quickly, but no dice.  Will try again, and see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2014, 05:22:16 AM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:43 AM »
If you look in windows devicemanager, at the com port, look what driver it has loaded, is that a ftdi driver?
Paul

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2014, 09:11:19 AM »
That happened to me on the first try; turned out I had grabbed the wrong software package for my ECU. Gah! Downloaded the correct one and I was off to the races.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Hellgate

« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
F@C YES!!! I am connected! You guys are right, the app rocks!  ~;

The cables arrived from the UK in about 9 days. Thank you Royal Mail!

<edit>

Any guidance on TunerPro? Specifically on bin files vs. XDF files? I just want to see what the Rexxer map looks like.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:00:13 PM by Hellgate »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »
You load an XDF to configure TunerPro for your type of bin file. Then you load the bin file.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Hellgate

« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »
Do I convert the bin to an XDF then? Is that done via Tuner Pro?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
In Tunerpro, under XDF, select the XDF needed to translate your BIN. Then under File, select your BIN.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Vasco DG

« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
I'm gunshy of giving too much advice apropos of Tunerpro as I leave development to Mark but downloading the map should be easy and then opening it is in my experience, as Wayne sez.

Pete

Hellgate

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »
Got it! Thanks again.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »
If you look in windows devicemanager, at the com port, look what driver it has loaded, is that a ftdi driver?

Hi, Paul.

Just got home from work, so too late to check tonight.  However, I believe that it is an FTDI driver.  I will have a look to confirm as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:08:38 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
Ok boys, I'm wired up and everything Guzzidiag seems to be working.

I need a recommendation for a map.

2012 Stelvio NTX
free-flow air filter with open cover
aftermarket exhaust

I currently have the stock map and a terrible problem with fueling at 2000-3000 rpm and another lesser glitch between 4000-5000.

I take my bike in the woods, offroad a lot.  I'm often in tractor-pulling situations where my rpm may be in the lower section of the tach trying to pull myself out of a hole.

Any advice or map suggestions will be greatly, greatly and humbly appreciated.

I thank everybody for their efforts to make GDiag available and for all of you posting to help riders avail themselves of its benefits.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:54:27 PM by leafman60 »

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
I have a Norge 2012 8V.

Should I be using IAW5x Reader and Writer or IAW15x Reader and Writer?

Thanks!
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
Since all carc bikes have the iaw 5am you need the 5x reader/writer.
Paul

beetle

« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
2012 Stelvio NTX
free-flow air filter with open cover
aftermarket exhaust

I currently have the stock map and a terrible problem with fueling at 2000-3000 rpm and another lesser glitch between 4000-5000.

I take my bike in the woods, offroad a lot.  I'm often in tractor-pulling situations where my rpm may be in the lower section of the tach trying to pull myself out of a hole.

Any advice or map suggestions will be greatly, greatly and humbly appreciated.

Need torque? Put the stock airfilter back in and return airbox to closed/normal.  The 8V doesn't need an open airbox. Besides, you want low down torque, not top end power.

What exhaust? I may have a solution for you, but it won't work with an open airbox.

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
Since all carc bikes have the iaw 5am you need the 5x reader/writer.

Thanks!
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2014, 07:18:33 PM »

Hi, Paul.

Yes, the driver is FTDI:

Thanks,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2014, 01:31:57 AM »
For a 2003 le mans, could be with a 15m or 15rc. What is the ecu in the bike? I think in the USA there were no CAT versions so they all have a 15m. Choose v11 sport as bike type in guzzidiag.  And should show 15m in left bottom
Paul

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2014, 05:18:04 AM »
Hi, Paul.

This is a US bike (although I am in Canada), and I am pretty certain it is a 15M.  As you have noted, thre is no direct match for my bike in GD, so I had to try to find the closet bike listed.  I initially tried the 2002 Le Mans, then V11 Naked, then V11 Sport, and I believe all came up with a 15M indication.

You mentioned earlier that there are timing issues with the 15M.  The computer (Atom 330) that I have in the garage is quite slow; could this be contributing to the issue?  The GD applications seem to be running quickly enough, but not sure about what is happening in the background.  Most things seem to take twice as long as on other machines.

I'll try again tonight when I get home, and might try another computer.  Thanks again for your help.

Thanks,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2014, 06:26:39 AM »

Need torque? Put the stock airfilter back in and return airbox to closed/normal.  The 8V doesn't need an open airbox. Besides, you want low down torque, not top end power.

What exhaust? I may have a solution for you, but it won't work with an open airbox.

Sure.

I'll restore the cover on the airbox.

I'm running a MIVV muffler with the baffle installed.

Vasco DG

« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2014, 06:40:33 AM »
David? Do you have the Guzzidiag and reader/writer software and cables? Mark is flying off to Japan today or tomorrow and while he plans to be in contact he will obviously be busy. I have all the current map iterations I believe, if you want to try the Stelvio map? Give me a hoy and I'll flick it off to you.

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »
David? Do you have the Guzzidiag and reader/writer software and cables? Mark is flying off to Japan today or tomorrow and while he plans to be in contact he will obviously be busy. I have all the current map iterations I believe, if you want to try the Stelvio map? Give me a hoy and I'll flick it off to you.

Pete

Yes, Pete.  Thanks.

I do have the Guzzidiag set-up.  I've hooked it up and everything works fine.  I was just asking about maps that I can try.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

leafman60@hotmail.com     is a good email address

Vasco DG

« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »
Map sent.

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
Hi, Paul.

This is a US bike (although I am in Canada), and I am pretty certain it is a 15M.  As you have noted, thre is no direct match for my bike in GD, so I had to try to find the closet bike listed.  I initially tried the 2002 Le Mans, then V11 Naked, then V11 Sport, and I believe all came up with a 15M indication.

You mentioned earlier that there are timing issues with the 15M.  The computer (Atom 330) that I have in the garage is quite slow; could this be contributing to the issue?  The GD applications seem to be running quickly enough, but not sure about what is happening in the background.  Most things seem to take twice as long as on other machines.

I'll try again tonight when I get home, and might try another computer.  Thanks again for your help.

Thanks,
Shaun

Well I use an asus netbook without any problem, sae atom I think. Timing what I meant,  is more that the 15m ande 15RC are different in that part. So therefore it does matter in guzzidiag which one you choose. 

Also open up the thing with the led, look what is written on the chips, if you have a 232rl in it. sometimes you don't get an 232rl but a cheaper less capable ftdi chip.
Or the adapter cable is wrong made, we ghad that before. there are connection pictures earlier in this thread I think
Paul

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »

I think I'm doing everything correctly.  My hookup cable has only the positive lead that attaches to the battery.  No negative lead but everything seems to work.  I guess it grounds through the ECU.

I have properly saved my stock map. I can also see all the measurements and watch the TPS change when I twist the throttle grip. I have received several maps from fellow Guzzi friends but I have not yet copied them over and tried to install them.

I have just a few questions.

1. When I open the WRITE program and click the 3-dot button to open the map files, there are no files there.  Is this correct?  I was assuming there would be various fuel maps from which to select already saved there.

2. I am showing 4.6 on my TPS value for a '12 Stelvio.  When I try to reset the TPS, after I click the RESET button, the button changes color but nothing happens and the TPS value remains at 4.6. Am I doing something wrong?  Is 4.6 the correct value for the TPS?

3.  How do you turn off the lamda sensors?

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
Well I use an asus netbook without any problem, sae atom I think. Timing what I meant,  is more that the 15m ande 15RC are different in that part. So therefore it does matter in guzzidiag which one you choose.  

Also open up the thing with the led, look what is written on the chips, if you have a 232rl in it. sometimes you don't get an 232rl but a cheaper less capable ftdi chip.
Or the adapter cable is wrong made, we ghad that before. there are connection pictures earlier in this thread I think

Hi, Paul.

Okay, now I'm beginning to worry.  I have tried two computers, two OBD cables, confirmed drivers, etc.  The only thing I haven't tried a second one of is a motorcycle.  Does this mean I must go out and buy another motorcycle now?  :)  I guess I also haven't tried another Fiat 3-pin cable either.  

I did try 15RC version, but that didn't work.  I tried disabling Windows firewall with no effect.

Here is an image of one of the cables:

Seems like the right one, and the test utility works.  

Not sure where to go from here.  Maybe I should buy a new matched set of cables from the new vendor listed at the beginning of this thread?

Thanks for your continued patience and assistance!

Shaun
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:56:48 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »
Lambda is turned on or off when the map is being modified using Tunerpro. When you load a map up it will either already have the lambda off or on.

With the 'Find the map'? When you click on the triple dot box it should open up  box with a 'Choose a file' bar at the top. On mine it opens up the 'My Computer' drop down menu. I then scroll down to 'Desktop' and thence to 'My Documents' and in that I've got 'Downloads' which is where I keep all my maps in a 'Griso Maps' folder. It sorta looks like this.

You choose the map, for instance this one.

And then hit load and

Then as long as you are connected to the right com port etc you hit write, it'll tell you to turn on the ignition and away you go.

Yes, I know I shouldn't need to take pics and should be able to do this with screenshots but I'm too stupid. So thort me already!

Pete

PS After you have uploaded the map go back to the Guzzidiag program and check and re-set the TPS value and re-set the self learning parameters. After the bike is warm, ie above 60*C, you can adjust the CO trim.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:07:13 PM by Vasco DG »

beetle

« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2014, 11:33:21 PM »
Leaf, the writer does not have a repository of maps. You can load maps stored on your drives, but you need to source them yourself.

A TPS value of 4.6 is OK. Normal range is  4.6 to 4.8.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here