Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554241 times)

Vasco DG

Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2015, 07:22:56 PM »
Norge uses the W5AM.

TB synch is very simple.

Brief instructions.

http://www.grisoghetto.com/t390-throttle-body-balancing

Pete

kris

« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »
Thanks for the info, Pete.  Will be downloading in the next few days and doing the upgrades, just hard to find free time!
Also, since mine is a US model I'm assuming I don't need to order the carb adapters?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:38:02 PM by kris »

Vasco DG

« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »
Errr? Carb adapters? For what?

beetle

« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »
I think he means the screw-in fittings for the hoses to attach to the manifold.

You may need to order some. I don't know if the fittings will fit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:51:23 PM by beetle »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #394 on: April 14, 2015, 02:24:30 AM »
Ah, I get it. The US bikes have spigots for the charcoal canister system rather than blanking screws like we do. You have to remove the hoses to get to them.

In all honesty if you are keeping the charcoal can just by the fittings and remove the banjos when you want to use the tool.

Pete

kris

« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
Ah, I get it. The US bikes have spigots for the charcoal canister system rather than blanking screws like we do. You have to remove the hoses to get to them.

In all honesty if you are keeping the charcoal can just by the fittings and remove the banjos when you want to use the tool.

"Once these are closed and you've removed the screws from the inlet manifolds or disconnected the suck hoses for the charcoal can on US bikes start the bike and warm it up. You can connect your scan tool/Guzzidiag while its warming up."

From reading the above it seems I would just unplug the suck hoses and use those nipples to plug in my twinmax, at least that's how it was on my BMW's.  Sorry, I don't want to take the tupperware off to look until I have everything on hand.  I'll probably remove the canister at some point, need to read up on the canisterectomy.  ;-T
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:50:13 AM by kris »

Offline katanaman

• New Egg
« Reply #396 on: April 15, 2015, 01:42:18 AM »
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction or share/email me a map that would suite a 2012 Stelvio running a MIVV exhaust with no Db killer. (maybe one for Db installed as well would be handy if such a thing exists. I have one for stock exhaust but assume i should run something more specific....

email is andy.coates@westnet.com.au

everything else is stock standard and will remain this way

thanks in advance

Vasco DG

« Reply #397 on: April 15, 2015, 01:54:21 AM »
The 8V really does run a lot better with a dB killer installed regardless of pipe.

I don't think Mark has anything Stelvio specific for a non dBk set up and all of the 2o2 Stelvio maps are 'Works in progress'. You can't log build a map without a bike to log.

Pete

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #398 on: April 15, 2015, 02:54:22 AM »
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction or share/email me a map that would suite a 2012 Stelvio running a MIVV exhaust with no Db killer. (maybe one for Db installed as well would be handy if such a thing exists. I have one for stock exhaust but assume i should run something more specific....

A couple of days ago I posted in the Stelvio thread over on the ADV forum about the logging work I did making the map for my 2 Lambda Stelvio.   

It's designed for a Zard Exhaust WITH dB killer, and no inlet mods. I do not know if it will work well on a bike with no dB killer but you can try it if you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

beetle

« Reply #399 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:51 AM »
I have one for stock exhaust but assume i should run something more specific....

Did you try that one I sent you?

Offline katanaman

• New Egg
« Reply #400 on: April 15, 2015, 05:01:03 AM »
Hi again, I dont get to see my bike until Saturday. .. work off shore... I will try your map beetle and thank you heaps for sending it through.  i thought I would put it out there for some others while im away so I can try them if I have to  when I get home.  I may use the db killer yet, but think the sound of the guzzi should be let free :-)

I also thought someone would have a map for a 2012 stelvio with aftermarket pipe .

Yes please john I would love  to try the map for the stelvio with zard exhaust

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:26:55 AM by katanaman »

Offline Blind Lemon Ade

• New Egg
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »
I am having a lot of trouble getting GuzziDiag to run...

It's on a HP 6735s laptop, running Linux Mint 17 Quiana, although my Linux skills are not very good...

The bike is a Breva 1100, 2005.

I have a LonElec cable, and downloaded the .tgz files for Diag, Reader, Writer and Tester for Linux 32 bit, and the IAW 5AM ecu.

The programs were extracted using the TAR command, by SUDO (Super-User Do ?), and placed in a library called GuzziDiag.

So, I have connected the cable to the bike, clipped on the power leads, and the LED lights up.

I plug the USB in, and I can see the FDTI device listed among the USB devices in Linux.

When i run the AdapterTest program as SUDO, it says "Success!"

However, when I run GuzziDiag as SUDO, the very first time it puts up a window with a "select" box in it - the select box is empty, and the drop-down arrow doesn't show any options. If I press OK, the main Diag screen flashes up, with a blank message box in front, then disappears.

Every subsequent time, only the Diag screen and blank message box flash up, and disappear.

I can see that after the first time, file GuzziDiag_V.0ini has been created, with the contents:

[Settings]
Language =

...and nothing else.

Also, it created a library "Ibus" with another library "Bus", both empty.

In the SYSLOG error log, it says:

Apr 25 16:24:50 HP-6735s kernel: [ 3824.870007] GuzziDiag_V0.46[2941]: segfault at 8 ip 00000000080643a9 sp 00000000ffa5c460 error 4 in GuzziDiag_V0.46[8048000+95000]

That is all... help! WTF is going on?

beetle

« Reply #402 on: April 25, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
There was a bug in the 32 bit version that caused the segfault you are experiencing. Download the fixed version and try again.

Offline Blind Lemon Ade

• New Egg
« Reply #403 on: April 26, 2015, 06:40:57 AM »
Thank you! I see the fixed version on the download site, now... I'll give it a go!  8)

*later*

Excellent! I now have the program running on the laptop - I'll go and plug it into the bike...

*even later*

I have reset my TPS, as a first step. Success! Many thanks for this excellent tutorial.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:27:36 AM by Blind Lemon Ade »

kris

« Reply #404 on: April 26, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
Having no luck getting connected with a Mac, anybody out there have any suggestions?  Tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers on my mac(the one's from guzzidiag website), connected everything up, went to file>connect, get the message "ignition off".  Turned the ignition on and tried again, same message.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Kris

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #405 on: April 26, 2015, 04:29:48 PM »
Having no luck getting connected with a Mac, anybody out there have any suggestions?  Tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers on my mac(the one's from guzzidiag website), connected everything up, went to file>connect, get the message "ignition off".  Turned the ignition on and tried again, same message.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Kris

And now the question is, is it the cables or the Mac? You can see the right driver attached to the com port? The same as you see in Guzzidiag?  Other way would be to try a windows laptop/pc if you have one around. When that works, you know it's some mac software thing.

I'm not a mac guy, but I thought that from newer osx, the ftdi driver is in the kernel, so nothing needed.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #406 on: April 26, 2015, 08:40:45 PM »

Thanks, Kris

I use an older Mac in the garage and often have to restart guzzidiag or even download it again from the site.  I think the Mac version is a bit unstable, but with persistence, I've been able to reset TPS, download and save the stock map, and even write a new map with lambdas off to the bike.

So, keep trying with the Mac, it may take several attempts but will eventually work.
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #407 on: April 26, 2015, 10:08:42 PM »
The only time I've had problems with my Mac, I was using the wrong ECU version. I felt small.  :P
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

kris

« Reply #408 on: April 27, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »
I use an older Mac in the garage and often have to restart guzzidiag or even download it again from the site.  I think the Mac version is a bit unstable, but with persistence, I've been able to reset TPS, download and save the stock map, and even write a new map with lambdas off to the bike.

So, keep trying with the Mac, it may take several attempts but will eventually work.

Thanks, I'll keep trying.  I'll do what you said and remove and download again.  Do you find much difference with lamdas off?

kris

« Reply #409 on: April 27, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »
The only time I've had problems with my Mac, I was using the wrong ECU version. I felt small.  :P

Ha! Funny!  I've got the right version, I was told to use the 5am.  Problem is it's not working on a Mac or pc.  I'm sure it's a minor glitch and I'll get it figured out with enough persistance.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
Hmm, I suspect the cable. Some cable sets are Windows only (provided you end up with good drivers). "Correct" cables will work with either machine.

Or someone got you on the wrong ECU (I have no experience to tell you the right one) since it's not working with either Mac or PC.

Come to think of it, the other common failure mode, choosing the wrong wire port on the bike. Some bikes have two, one for the ECU and other is for something else (no memory of what it is for, primary reason seems to be to confuse home mechanics :)  ). Try the second port to see if that leads to success.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #411 on: April 27, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »
Ha! Funny!  I've got the right version, I was told to use the 5am.  Problem is it's not working on a Mac or pc.  I'm sure it's a minor glitch and I'll get it figured out with enough persistance.

what bike?
Paul

kris

« Reply #412 on: April 27, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #413 on: April 27, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »
5AM is correct for Norge.

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #414 on: April 27, 2015, 06:16:58 PM »
5AM is correct for Norge.

Pete

And the 8v Doesn't have a second 3 pin diagnostic plug, so that can't be a mistake either.  The led goes on in the adapter as you connect it to the bike?
Paul

kris

« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »
And the 8v Doesn't have a second 3 pin diagnostic plug, so that can't be a mistake either.  The led goes on in the adapter as you connect it to the bike?

Yes, the led comes on.  Light's on but nobody's home!  I know I've got the right plug as some of the readings do come up(engine temp, co, tps((get an error message when I try to reset)), and a few others I can't think of at the moment).  Unfortunately I'm swamped trying to get my new work truck on the road and haven't had much time to mess with or ride the Guzzi  :(.  I did manage to get a valve check in this afternoon.  Two intake valves were just a hair on the loose side so I tightened them up a smidgen.  So far the bike is a pleasure to work on, but the service manual isn't much help!
Thanks folks for any and all of your help  ;-T

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #416 on: April 28, 2015, 06:12:32 AM »
And now you tell you have a connection, only it isn't stable.  ??? Makes a different story. Can be two things,
A the hardware isn't so good.
B The driver is not the right one.

And since you mentioned on windows you had the problem too, what has different driver and OS, I would look at the adapter. You got a windows unstable connection too?
Paul

kris

« Reply #417 on: April 29, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
And now you tell you have a connection, only it isn't stable.  ??? Makes a different story. Can be two things,
A the hardware isn't so good.
B The driver is not the right one.

And since you mentioned on windows you had the problem too, what has different driver and OS, I would look at the adapter. You got a windows unstable connection too?

In an earlier post on this thread I mentioned that I was getting some readings with a Windows connection, this was using the driver downloaded from Lonelec, I also tried the one from Guzzidiag, appears to be the same but I'm not a computer guy so not sure.
I finally have a little time today to work on it.  Going to start fresh by removing the programs and reinstalling, hopefully taking a few days away will solve things  :)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #418 on: April 29, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
This conversation, and the Not-a-Rally finally got me off my butt to load up that last  (From last August!) map sent out for a stock bike.

I did find, and remembered on the second attempt, that it connects better if I put the cursor over the OK button so I can click it right after the I turn the key on.

Otherwise it refuses to connect. :p
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

canuguzzi

« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
For a Windows machine, disable all other USB devices. Shut down the laptop or PC. Start it back up and disable all connections to the Internet (WiFi/ethernet) and any Bluetooth. Disable your anti-virus software (you won't need it since you won't be browsing the web).

Don't use any USB cable extenders.

Then try again.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here