Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554159 times)

dubtac

Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #660 on: October 03, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
Fantastic post I was thinking about taking off the air box lid on my Breva. Will the software all me to modify the maps for the extra airflow or should I get a Power Commander?

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #661 on: October 03, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »
I seriously doubt the airbag lid mod will do anything more than raise the intake noise. E.g. my Ford F150 with twin turbos has about the same sized snorkel as my Griso. You're going to tell me a 3.5 liter turbo'd motor is breathing fine and yet a normally aspirated 1.2 liter motor is not?

Second point; why hire a middleman when you can talk directly to your customer?
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

dubtac

« Reply #662 on: October 04, 2015, 11:59:59 PM »
I seriously doubt the airbag lid mod will do anything more than raise the intake noise. E.g. my Ford F150 with twin turbos has about the same sized snorkel as my Griso. You're going to tell me a 3.5 liter turbo'd motor is breathing fine and yet a normally aspirated 1.2 liter motor is not?

Second point; why hire a middleman when you can talk directly to your customer?
I figure that the Breva airbox is about the same size as my 5.0 93 f150s' plenum. Seems like the box top with the cute oval limits actionable cfm while leaving enough air to keep everything nice and lean to meet emissions. Your 3500 cc engine uses fancy super high rpm pumps called turbochargers to overcome one of the fundamental problems of any reciprocating pump,getting air into the inlet of the pump beyond atmospheric pressure its called boost. Remember that our bikes if they are both at sea level only have about 14 lbs of pressure in the box. So any restriction on a N/A engine will effect top end performance because available air depending on your elevation is limited, this becomes even worse the higher the elevation. Remember we dont suck air into our lungs atmospheric pressure pushes air into them. Depending how fast our lung muscles expand and contract depends on how much air is pushed in. Internal combustion engines are just pumps, with controlled explosions at the proper time.

Vasco DG

« Reply #663 on: October 05, 2015, 01:11:50 AM »
(Sigh.) So how come a 120+ HP Tuono uses the same filter and very similar set-up?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #663 on: October 05, 2015, 01:11:50 AM »

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #664 on: October 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AM »
I figure that the Breva airbox is about the same size as my 5.0 93 f150s' plenum. Seems like the box top with the cute oval limits actionable cfm while leaving enough air to keep everything nice and lean to meet emissions. Your 3500 cc engine uses fancy super high rpm pumps called turbochargers to overcome one of the fundamental problems of any reciprocating pump,getting air into the inlet of the pump beyond atmospheric pressure its called boost. Remember that our bikes if they are both at sea level only have about 14 lbs of pressure in the box. So any restriction on a N/A engine will effect top end performance because available air depending on your elevation is limited, this becomes even worse the higher the elevation. Remember we dont suck air into our lungs atmospheric pressure pushes air into them. Depending how fast our lung muscles expand and contract depends on how much air is pushed in. Internal combustion engines are just pumps, with controlled explosions at the proper time.
Eloquently put
Fantastic post I was thinking about taking off the air box lid on my Breva. Will the software all me to modify the maps for the extra airflow or should I get a Power Commander?
I think the answer to question is yes, maybe not quite as simple as carbs but post results so all know.

Vasco DG

« Reply #665 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:50 AM »
And completely, utterly wrong but don't allow that to stop you storming off down that path.

Sorry, I don't think I can stand this.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #666 on: October 05, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
My fancy 3.5L uses turbines, not a turbocharger to provide boost. Since I drive with a light foot I don't dip into the boost very often so most of the time they are not working so the engine is pulling its' own air just like the bike. Yet it seems to breath just fine.

These engines have been tweaked by the factory engineers to limit emissions in the extreme while producing horse power with a decent torque curve and meeting sound requirements imposed by various agencies around the world. Unless you happen to know more than the engineers, have access to a dyno to prove what you are doing is actually helping in the areas you want improved; you are pretty much shooting in the dark.

Then there are the finer points of fluid dynamics on the intake side that make or break the pumping ability of your motor if you reduce the intake velocity by ruining the venturi effect by introducing chaotic air flow.

But it's your bike, have at it. You asked, we responded.  :boozing:
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #667 on: October 06, 2015, 04:26:15 AM »
My fancy 3.5L uses turbines, not a turbocharger to provide boost.

Please explain the difference. 
He lost the run of himself.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #668 on: October 06, 2015, 07:05:12 AM »

Some of these posts seem to have to been written while on more bourbon than even I can handle!  :wink:

But, as I only come and go here as the mood strikes ... which it does not often ... I'm probably missing something profound.

So, as Kathi leaves in a bit for three days  :thewife:, I'm screwing up my courage to start this thread at p. 1 and plod on to the end.

Want to see if I can make sense of it enough to order (finally) the right cable set, etc., then get the latest map. 

[ Yes, with a donation sufficient to at least buy beetle  :bow: and VdG  :bow: a decent beer; don't want to overtip too soon.   :boozing: ]

Pray for me; I'm going in.   :grin:

Bill

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #669 on: October 06, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »
Some of these posts seem to have to been written while on more bourbon than even I can handle!  :wink:

But, as I only come and go here as the mood strikes ... which it does not often ... I'm probably missing something profound.

So, as Kathi leaves in a bit for three days  :thewife:, I'm screwing up my courage to start this thread at p. 1 and plod on to the end.

Want to see if I can make sense of it enough to order (finally) the right cable set, etc., then get the latest map. 

[ Yes, with a donation sufficient to at least buy beetle  :bow: and VdG  :bow: a decent beer; don't want to overtip too soon.   :boozing: ]

Pray for me; I'm going in.   :grin:

Bill

Beetle has kept page one updated. Since the Kid commandeered my cables, I bought the cables from England, downloaded their drivers, and it all works.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Yo Man

• New Egg
« Reply #670 on: October 06, 2015, 09:14:15 AM »
I'm using El Capitan OSX 10.11.1 beta.  Guzzidiag (0.47) works fine for me ('16 Stone), but it didn't until I installed the FTDI USB serial driver (2.3) off the Guzzidiag site.  I used Guzzidiag to determine my ECU flash version (it's 4533V740).  I don't intend to update it until I see reports of a newer one that works better.  So far, the updates seem to do more harm than good.

I haven't been able to use my Macbook Air to install the map from Guzzidiag, had to get a friend to use his PC, but I would like to be able to rest my ups, etc. I just updated to El Capitan 10.11 and I've tried to find the FTDI USB serial driver 2.3 on Guzzidiag. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #671 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
Please explain the difference.
Turbines are powered by the exhaust flow, turbochargers are spools run directly off the engine; typically by a belt. Which one you choose to use depends on how you operate the vehicle. Turbine driven boosters have to wait for the engine to increase rpm to increase exhaust flow so there is some lag between the time you stop the go pedal and the desire action happens.

I'm on the fence about ordering another cable but I think my choices are limited. Will have to to confirm if the cable is bad or my drivers are wonky. Luckily I don't need to write up a map right now, but a buddy wants to tweak is Bassa.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

56Pan

« Reply #672 on: October 06, 2015, 09:58:32 AM »
Turbines are powered by the exhaust flow, turbochargers are spools run directly off the engine; typically by a belt.
(snipped)

I believe you meant to say "superchargers" are run directly off the engine.

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #673 on: October 06, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
Turbines are powered by the exhaust flow, turbochargers are spools run directly off the engine; typically by a belt. Which one you choose to use depends on how you operate the vehicle. Turbine driven boosters have to wait for the engine to increase rpm to increase exhaust flow so there is some lag between the time you stop the go pedal and the desire action happens.

The original name was turbo-supercharger.  You have turbochargers on your truck.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #674 on: October 06, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
Gah, brain fart! Thanks for the correction. I really should stay away until I've had my coffee. At least some of you are awake.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #675 on: October 06, 2015, 12:37:10 PM »
Gah, brain fart! Thanks for the correction. I really should stay away until I've had my coffee. At least some of you are awake.

No sweat. You had me confused. :). Admittedly, not a difficult task.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #676 on: October 06, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
I haven't been able to use my Macbook Air to install the map from Guzzidiag, had to get a friend to use his PC, but I would like to be able to rest my ups, etc. I just updated to El Capitan 10.11 and I've tried to find the FTDI USB serial driver 2.3 on Guzzidiag. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_3.dmg
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Yo Man

• New Egg
« Reply #677 on: October 06, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #678 on: October 08, 2015, 06:36:58 AM »
Got GuzziDiag connected to the V7-II today.
Bought the cables from the site recommended on page 1.
Downloaded the drivers from the site recommended on page 1.
Installed all, plugged it all in, everything working straight up.
Sweet.
Big thanks to all involved for making this real.

I wanted to get this working for future fault finding (hopefully never necessary)....and besides, after a career in automation & controls, if there's a way of interrogating a processor I have to do it :)
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

Offline Zoomie

• Gosling
« Reply #679 on: October 21, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Guys, this thread has 23 pages, so I have just one quick question, please.  I'm using Guzzidiag on a Ducati.  Guzzidiag refers to the cylinders as, appropriately, Left Right.  Which cylinder on a Ducati is Left?

Thanks   :thumb:
"Remember!  It's only temporary, unless it works!" Red Green
07 Guzzi Breva 1100
06 Ducati ST398 Honda ST1100
84 Kawasaki 900 Ninja
83? Suzuki GS1000 Katana
82? Suzuki GS1000S Wes Cooley
78? Honda CB750F
76? Yamaha RD400
67 Bultaco Metralla
66 Honda 305 Super Hawk
66 Honda CB160

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #680 on: October 21, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
Which cylinder on a Ducati is Left?

The one you haven't taken off, yet. <rimshot>  :smiley: You *do* know that there is also a Ducati diag?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #681 on: October 21, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »
left is main, and thats at a Duc the horizontal one
Paul

Offline Yo Man

• New Egg
« Reply #682 on: October 22, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
I'm having trouble resetting the TPS; that function is not showing up on the dropdown menu for "engine off". Anyone have a clue?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #683 on: October 22, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
I'm having trouble resetting the TPS; that function is not showing up on the dropdown menu for "engine off". Anyone have a clue?

What ECU?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #684 on: October 22, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »

Hi Yo Man. For some reason I'm struggling to upload pictures here today, so I've sent you a couple of screen shots of how it should look in Guzzidiag. When you select the menu points "View" "Actors", you will get a warning that the engine should be off. The engine is hopefully off, right? Click that message away.

You will then see a button for TPS reset. Click on it. Nothing much happens except that it briefly changes color very slightly. That's it! You did it.

When you go back to the main page, your throttle position should show 4.7 or 4.8 degrees.

John
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:45:36 PM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Yo Man

• New Egg
« Reply #685 on: October 22, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #686 on: October 22, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
That reminds me. I've run into this a couple of times. One of those times, I had a stored error. Makes sure that you don't have any stored errors and if so, clear the errors. Then try the TPS reset.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #687 on: October 22, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »
what  version Guzzidiag? You should find tps reset  it in the drop down list
Paul

Offline Yo Man

• New Egg
« Reply #688 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
what  version Guzzidiag? You should find tps reset  it in the drop down list

Bingo!

I have a Mac and had decided that perhaps I should download GuzziDiag again. I noticed there where two downloads for Macs. I had the VO.46-2 version and the second version was VO.46-3.

This version worked as advertised; the TPS reset option was right there in the dropdown menu (unlike the 46-2 version).

Thanks for the help everyone. I couldn't keep this bike without all the help and advice given so freely.

Online sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #689 on: October 23, 2015, 08:15:33 AM »
Bingo!

I have a Mac and had decided that perhaps I should download GuzziDiag again. I noticed there where two downloads for Macs. I had the VO.46-2 version and the second version was VO.46-3.

This version worked as advertised; the TPS reset option was right there in the dropdown menu (unlike the 46-2 version).

Thanks for the help everyone. I couldn't keep this bike without all the help and advice given so freely.
Sorry, I don't understand.  GuzziDiag for Mac has been at Vers 0.47 since at least August.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here