Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554059 times)

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #690 on: October 25, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »
Query.

In the drop down lists there's "Revs" and "Revs #"
What's the difference?
Is one the actual value and the other the calculated target?
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

elvisboy77

« Reply #691 on: October 25, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »
This system doesn't work on a 1400 California, does it?

Offline Yo Man

• New Egg
« Reply #692 on: October 25, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »
Sorry, I don't understand.  GuzziDiag for Mac has been at Vers 0.47 since at least August.

August, you say? Well I haven't got there yet, I'm still in July. When I get there, where would I find it?

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #693 on: October 26, 2015, 02:58:32 AM »
This system doesn't work on a 1400 California, does it?

Guzzidiag works fine on Cali 1400, only not yet the modify of maps. But all diagnostics, throttle self learning work.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #693 on: October 26, 2015, 02:58:32 AM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #694 on: November 06, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »

I am now officially embarrassed ... yes, again.   :rolleyes:

So, I finally ordered the cables and got 'em.

Opened the package, read the instructions -- only because it involved electricity and IT; otherwise, I'm too manly for that.  :wink:

Then sent following email to Lonelec:

Subject: Re: Lonelec - Order Update 117
Date: 05 November 2015 at 17:27:16 EST
To: Lonelec <sales2@lonelec.co.uk>

Good evening from the top of Virginia.

What I know about automotive electrics would fit into a thimble, so please bear with my undoubtedly dumb question!

I ordered — see below — what I intended to use (assuming I could ever figure it out!) to work on my several Moto Guzzis.  So far, so good, but I also needed same to work with my MacBook Pro.

Perhaps I am missing something, but when I finally got around to opening and reading, I see nothing in the accompanying instructions that mentions Macs, but only PC’s and Windows.

Did not wish to use until I confirmed that my ordered items would indeed function with my Mac.

Thanks.

Bill Hagan

========

About 20 minutes later  :bow:, (and almost 1 a.m. in the UK!) I got a response from (likely disgusted) Martin:

From: "paypal-londonelectronic" <paypal@londonelectronic.com>
Subject: RE: Notification of Payment Received
Date: 05 November 2015 at 17:48:25 EST
To: William Hagan
Reply-To: <paypal@londonelectronic.com>

Hi William,

Please see this forum post which provides links on use with a Mac.

Link here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69168.0

Kind Regards

Martin

============

Yup, the link was to this thread!   :rolleyes: :shocked: :embarrassed:

Now to screw up my courage to hook this stuff all up to the Guzzis and Mac.   :undecided:

But, regrettably, we have to "grandbabysit" for several days  :thewife:, so I'll just have to read about it and fret.

Thanks to beetle and all who contribute here.   :bow:

Bill

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #695 on: November 06, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »

Now to screw up my courage to hook this stuff all up to the Guzzis and Mac. 

I tried to hook up my macbook to my Guzzi, but to no avail ....  I brought home a laptop with windows on it from work, downloaded the drivers Beetle suggested, and connected first try, no problems. 

I am NOT very good with computers, so I hopefully you will have better luck than I did with the Mac.  Just saying windows worked right away and was easier for me ---  Good Luck !

Offline Viker

• New Egg
« Reply #696 on: November 06, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
My MacBook was no trouble. It's possible that I accidentally did things in the right order, eg make the connections, start the Mac, start the software, start the bike

Which version of Mac OS are you running?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #697 on: November 06, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »
Bill will probably forget to sacrifice a chicken.. he's a total newby with electronics. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Viker

• New Egg
« Reply #698 on: November 06, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
OS X El Capitan has a low-level daemon (dcloudsacrifice) which uses the coreSacrifice cloud framework to initiate the sacrifice of a chicken at Apples new datacentre/chickenfarm in Arkansas, on your behalf

But only if you're signed in to your iCloud account

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #699 on: November 06, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »
Bill, don't forget to get a video of the arcing and small scale mushroom cloud this time.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Bill Hagan

« Reply #700 on: November 06, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
Bill, don't forget to get a video of the arcing and small scale mushroom cloud this time.

Bill will probably forget to sacrifice a chicken.. he's a total newby with electronics. <shrug>

Cruel. Cruel. Cruel.

And, unfair.

For example, I just put shrink wrap on my 15-YO Gerbing jacket wires and didn't do (much) damage.   :rolleyes:

Ain't pretty, but it works.     :wink:

Needed large one to go over the SAE connector, but then couldn't get the sleeve to shrink enough.  When I get home next week, I'm getting out the propane torch to cinch it down.  Yes, Kathi promises pix.   :grin:

As for guzzidiag, etc., I'm looking forward to trying it.  We may have some guinea hens on the place by then, so finding a victim won't be hard.  Not many virgins among that sort, so hope chastity is not a requirement.   :azn:

Bill

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:23:43 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #701 on: November 06, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »
For example, I just put shrink wrap on my 15-YO Gerbing jacket wires and didn't do (much) damage.   :rolleyes:

Some time you are traveling north out of Atl on 85, stop at Frys off of Pleasant Hill Rd. They have a lot of heat shrink choices that can hide disasters.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #702 on: November 18, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

New to my 2013 Stelvio bike (an old one I purchased with 10,000 miles) and have been ever since a month ago trying to figure out a rough idle with stalling and codes.

0130, 0135, 0136 and 0351.

Following some suggestions I flushed the map with another that had the lambda off I was told could help smooth the idle and do away with cutting off on cylinder..  I also replaced spark plug wires and caps with NGK.
That new map didn't help so I switched back to original map.
However now even following the correct procedure in GuzziDiag - CO trim remains at 10 - so I can't put it back to 0 or any other value for that matter. I go through the correct steps, start engine, click on - until reach 0, click Finish, kill engine. When I go back I still find CO is 10.
The bike also exhibits the red warning triangle LED and I can see no code via dashboard diagnostic menus. It remains so even after clearing codes with Guzzidiag..

Please excuse this long winded story and hopefully it is not in the wrong forum thread. I really loved the bike for the few days I was able to ride it, but am beginning to realize may have long time until I am able to ride it again. Since there is no dealer nearby Raleigh, NC - I am out of options and need to fix it myself. I would like to start by at least making sure the ECU is back to it's original map and settings. Any help, suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Best,
Vic

canuguzzi

« Reply #703 on: November 18, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »
Avoid mixing mechanical things and the map. A map doesn't fix things like bad plugs and if you start updating things and in the mix play with the map, you'll accomplish next to nothing.

Load a stock map. Get the tune as good as it gets. Then mess with loading a new map. At this point you don't know what is doing what.

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #704 on: November 18, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
Avoid mixing mechanical things and the map. A map doesn't fix things like bad plugs and if you start updating things and in the mix play with the map, you'll accomplish next to nothing.

Load a stock map. Get the tune as good as it gets. Then mess with loading a new map. At this point you don't know what is doing what.

Yes I noticed that, I seem to learn the hard way and now I have it all messed up. Being my first, I must have ridden the bike for first 3 thousand miles with this issue thinking it's the way a Guzzi should run at idle.

I have re uploaded the stock map I previously backed up.
I got the successful confirmation.
Then did reset auto-learning parameters and reset TPS.

My two ECU related issues now are  - CO trim not saved when I hit "Finish" and the red little triangle warning is always on. No codes that I can see but I will keep reviewing them maybe I missed some.

Thank you so much for responding, it really means allot to have someone to consult.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #705 on: November 18, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
Welcome to WG, Vic.. never fear.. the Guzzidiag gurus are asleep right now. (England, France, Germany, Australia) Probably in the morning, you'll have some direction.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #706 on: November 18, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »
The obvious questions are what is the rest of the tune like and why have you got a service warning?

When you say you have the triangle are you also getting the word 'Service' at the bottom of the dash? If not are you getting a symbol indicating a globe with a cross through it and an arrow? If the latter it means you have an indicator out or a poor connection to one of them.

If you have a 'Service' warning the OBD should tell you what faults are current.

Also the valve clearances must be right, the throttle body balance correct and you have to ascertain whether someone has messed about with the throttle stop screw. The last will cause a host of problems.

Pete

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #707 on: November 18, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
Welcome to WG, Vic.. never fear.. the Guzzidiag gurus are asleep right now. (England, France, Germany, Australia) Probably in the morning, you'll have some direction.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I realize first step in addressing any of these issues is to remain calm and think clearly.. I kept trying too many things including riding it as it was in hoping would clear the issue. I will check back here often!

Kind regards,
Vic

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #708 on: November 18, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
No sleep here.

1. CO setting won't do anything with stock map because lambda circuit does it.  But with stock map I think it should be 0
2. If you clear errors, and you switch bike off and on again you instantly have the red light and errors again? Which do show up in guzzidiag?
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #709 on: November 18, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »
No sleep here.

1. CO setting won't do anything with stock map because lambda circuit does it.  But with stock map I think it should be 0
2. If you clear errors, and you switch bike off and on again you instantly have the red light and errors again? Which do show up in guzzidiag?

Hi Paul,

It is stock map now. I think I can be sure of that because I reused the bin file I created as backup, before changing it.
But CO trim still showing 10 for some reason. And I remember it was 0 before I uploaded the other map.

The codes I received when running really bad and stalling at idle were: 0130 0351 0135 Sunday evening.
This morning also just started in the garage  - I got 0136.

The obvious questions are what is the rest of the tune like and why have you got a service warning?

When you say you have the triangle are you also getting the word 'Service' at the bottom of the dash? If not are you getting a symbol indicating a globe with a cross through it and an arrow? If the latter it means you have an indicator out or a poor connection to one of them.

If you have a 'Service' warning the OBD should tell you what faults are current.

Also the valve clearances must be right, the throttle body balance correct and you have to ascertain whether someone has messed about with the throttle stop screw. The last will cause a host of problems.

Pete

Hi Pete,

You were right, the red triangle warning LED scared me  but I just had removed the left front fairing and had disconnected the turn signal bulb.  I connected it and the red triangle light is now gone.
No one messed with throttle stop screw as far I know. But I am not the first owner so that is all I can do, trust in words.
I am preparing to do my first valve adjust and TB sync, bike had that service about 5,000 miles ago.

This is a small video how the bike runs and stalls

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOqBX0L1MiHiW4aXNSjqAxnshNo65BKUfN7PQt08QDM3N_TlI9pEjPqujwodoKmiw/photo/AF1QipN9BUU4mfOEIvNV4dZGlBfBFaxmWDKGnrOIaKTO?key=dmpjaEpCS09PMVZVX2N1d3M4STVFdTBPSS1vRHdR

Thank you all

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #710 on: November 18, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »
No one messed with throttle stop screw as far I know.
That would be good. Is the paint unbroken?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #711 on: November 18, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
That would be good. Is the paint unbroken?
On left throttle body two screws have yellow paint, unbroken. On the right one, I can't see any painted screw.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #712 on: November 18, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
On left throttle body two screws have yellow paint, unbroken. On the right one, I can't see any painted screw.

I am *not* one of the guys that know.. but I think you are ok. If the "sacred screw" had been messed with.. "You're in a whole lot of trouble, boy.."  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #713 on: November 18, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »
Do you know if your bike is a 2013 build or a 2012? This might be relevant. If a 2012 it may be a flat tappet bike and if the tappets are well worn you will have idling problems due to the change in the duration. Whip a rocker cover off and confirm.

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #714 on: November 18, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
Vic.. I know you are new here, and really don't know who is who. Pay no attention to me. Pay attention to Paul and Pete..  :smiley: Trust me..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #715 on: November 18, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
Do you know if your bike is a 2013 build or a 2012? This might be relevant. If a 2012 it may be a flat tappet bike and if the tappets are well worn you will have idling problems due to the change in the duration. Whip a rocker cover off and confirm.

Pete

This may seem silly but , with cover off, where do I need to look to know which ones I have?

Vasco DG

« Reply #716 on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
Roller.

Flat.

and the two different parts breakdowns.

Pete

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #717 on: November 18, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »

I just took this picture.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:22:30 PM by Dracula »

Vasco DG

« Reply #718 on: November 18, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
OK so it's a roller bike, good. What are the valve clearances set at?

Can you check and see if both air bleeds are open and give us a pic of both the throttle stop screw and bell crank screw?

Pete

Offline Dracula

• New Egg
« Reply #719 on: November 18, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
OK so it's a roller bike, good. What are the valve clearances set at?

Can you check and see if both air bleeds are open and give us a pic of both the throttle stop screw and bell crank screw?

Pete

Below is a picture of what I think those throttle screws are, I don't know where bell crank screw is or air bleeds.
I am going to try and put it in 6th, spin and find tdc somehow and let you know the clearances.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here