Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554135 times)

Offline Meinolf

• Gosling
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #750 on: February 05, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »
Hi Des,

As it runs so perfectly i don't want to mess with the main map, but I notice there is a warmup map when viewed in Tunerpro
Do those who know more than me (everyone!!) think that by upping the fueling within the warmup map will help me, and if so by how much? 1 point? 5 points? in every box?

I haven't researched the 5AM, but am familiar with the 15M. The warmup map values are factors applied to the values in the fuel maps. I assume that the same applies to the 5AM.

If the issue only appears at a certain ambient/engine temperature you can change the values in the warmup map at that temperature or temperature range.

If the engine fires up well but dies after x revolutions, you can limit the changes to the cells which apply after the # of revolutions (your guesstimate). On the 15M the standard value during which the warmup function is active is 4000 revolutions after (every) start.

Increasing the values in steps of 5% or so until it starts reliably would help you in ascertaining that the problem lies in the warmup map.

Cheers
Meinolf
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:34:17 AM by Meinolf »

beetle

« Reply #751 on: February 05, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
Des, forget the warm-up table. What ambient temps are we talking about? I would look at the pressure-air-temp table or the fuel-engine-temp table.

beetle

« Reply #752 on: February 05, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
Tris: No. :thumb:

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #753 on: February 05, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
Tris: No. :thumb:

Cheers Beetle - the succinct answer I needed   :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:27:42 PM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #753 on: February 05, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline Tudorgates

• New Egg
« Reply #754 on: February 06, 2016, 04:58:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
The ambient temp is about 7-8 Celsius (44-46F)

beetle

« Reply #755 on: February 06, 2016, 06:36:25 AM »
Remind me again which map you are running.

Offline Tudorgates

• New Egg
« Reply #756 on: February 07, 2016, 04:17:10 AM »
The file name I have is   Stelvio-8V-FU2-2Lambda-58B4.2015.04.04.bin

beetle

« Reply #757 on: February 07, 2016, 05:28:59 AM »
That's an old map. I've PM'd you a link to download the latest 2 lambda map. Should fix your issue.

Offline Tudorgates

• New Egg
« Reply #758 on: February 07, 2016, 06:23:57 AM »
Cheers, I'll give it a try.
It'll have to go some to beat the last one, the bike runs fantastic with that one!

beetle

« Reply #759 on: February 07, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
It has no major differences, just some refinements. It will give better cold start performance, however.

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #760 on: February 07, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
Many thanks for this EXTREMELY helpful thread and tutorial. I`ve used TuneECU for several years on various Triumphs and TigerTool on my current Triumph Tiger Explorer1200, ths GuzziDiag seems similar, although it has extra features which Tune ECU doesn`t.

I have had the pipes bored out on my V7 Classic and I was told by everyone that that the only answer was a PC, so I`m  delighted to find this thread. Accidentally, I might add, it should be a sticky!

I`d prefer not to fine tune the fuelling and ignition, so does anyone have a map ready made that I can download, for a 2009 V7 Classic with pipes?

I`m not looking to turn it into a fire breathing monster, just get it running correctly. It pops a lot on the overrun which obviously means it is running weak and it won`t tick over until it the motor is fully warmed up and I`d like to fix this.

Thanks in advance.   :smiley:

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #761 on: February 20, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »
Still no joy. The writer program cannot find any map on my Mac, not even the stock map that I just saved with the reader program. Latest software. Latest MacBook. Hmm...

UPDATE: See below.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:21:58 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #762 on: February 20, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
Still no joy. The writer program cannot find any map on my Mac, not even the stock map that I just saved with the reader program. Latest software. Latest MacBook. Hmm...

Doesn't surprise me at all. At least it still runs without a ton of error codes.  :evil:

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #763 on: February 20, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
Doesn't surprise me at all. At least it still runs without a ton of error codes.  :evil:

It does surprise me. Many others, apparently all running PC laptops, have had no troubles loading new maps. Even though there is a Mac version of the writer program, it simply cannot see any map files anywhere on my Mac.

This is the same trouble that I encountered last summer, only with older versions of the software. Consequently, I stuck with the stock map and simply allowed the ECU to trim around my Agostini silencer. To its credit, it did a fair job of enriching the air-fuel mixture.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:00:41 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #764 on: February 20, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
Can you put the map onto an external storage device and see if you can point to it? Just guessing as I use PCs.

You can probably find a dirt cheap Windows laptop on CL. Use it just for GuzziDiag.

Panasonic Toughbook laptops are great for that, cheap too.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:05:29 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #765 on: February 20, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
Can you put the map onto an external storage device and see if you can point to it? Just guessing as I use PCs.

You can probably find a dirt cheap Windows laptop on CL. Use it just for GuzziDiag.

Panasonic Toughbook laptops are great for that, cheap too.

Those are good ideas.

As for the external storage device/thumb drive, the GuuziDiag writer program navigates just fine to where the .bin map files are located; it just does not see them. Consequently, I am not sure an e thermal device would help. Still, I'll give it a try (another day, as I am going for a ride now).

UPDATE: Now that I have disconnected everything and am looking at the writer program at my kitchen table, I see the .bin maps! Back outside to try it again!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:18:43 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #766 on: February 20, 2016, 04:54:31 PM »
SUCCESS!!! Finally, it worked.  I installed the latest Norge map, reset the TPS, reset the learning parameters, and adjusted the CO trim upwards from 0 to +5. I will give it a try and see how it does!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

beetle

« Reply #767 on: February 20, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »
Jeff, I can add anti-popping to that map if you like.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #768 on: February 20, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
Jeff, I can add anti-popping to that map if you like.

That would be great!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #769 on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:14 AM »
Another UPDATE (as posted elsewhere): The new Norge map with anti-pop is awesome! Thank you, Beetle!

The Norge runs like a different bike. Power everywhere, no bucking or lurching, no audible popping on deceleration. The engine doesn't mind lower RPMs now, and it races forward smoothly as the RPMs climb like my old Ducati ST2 did. I am happy! (Too bad motorcycle manufacturers cannot get away with making their bikes run properly from the factory, what with emissions controls...)

I am going to ride to Eugene and back today from the Portland area and give it more of a workout, but after 20+ miles this morning, I feel like a have a new, smoother, and more powerful bike.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online Droydx

• New Egg
« Reply #770 on: February 22, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »
On my 2003 V11,  hooked up all the cables and am running GuzziDiag.   GuzziDiag is connected and reading values, everything seems to be working fine with the exception of CO trim function.  When I go to use it, follow instructions to start engine, and hit the engine start button, I get the message "Active Diagnostics could not be started".  I have heard that other V11 15m ecu  have been able to adjust their CO trim (mine is at -25 right now and I would like to zero this) .  I am able to run everything else that GuzziDiag does for the 15M, just not the CO trim.

Does anybody have any suggestions to get this function up and running? 

Thanks!  Andy

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #771 on: February 22, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »
Just a gentle nudge. To everyone that has great running bikes because of WG, a small donation to the cause seems appropriate. Naturally, a donation to GuzziDiag is, too.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #772 on: February 22, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »
On my 2003 V11,  hooked up all the cables and am running GuzziDiag.   GuzziDiag is connected and reading values, everything seems to be working fine with the exception of CO trim function.  When I go to use it, follow instructions to start engine, and hit the engine start button, I get the message "Active Diagnostics could not be started".  I have heard that other V11 15m ecu  have been able to adjust their CO trim (mine is at -25 right now and I would like to zero this) .  I am able to run everything else that GuzziDiag does for the 15M, just not the CO trim.

Does anybody have any suggestions to get this function up and running? 

Thanks!  Andy

I'm not an expert, if I remember right I had the same problem. This is a 15M right? Until an expert comes along, try this.

Bike off. Connect with guzzi diag and follow the key on prompt. Make sure all is well. Then go to the CO trim and follow the prompts to start the engine. Also I think the engine temp needs to be at 60C or you will  get another error.

Hope this helps,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Droydx

• New Egg
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
I'm not an expert, if I remember right I had the same problem. This is a 15M right? Until an expert comes along, try this.

Bike off. Connect with guzzi diag and follow the key on prompt. Make sure all is well. Then go to the CO trim and follow the prompts to start the engine. Also I think the engine temp needs to be at 60C or you will  get another error.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Ok so the CO trim does work on guzzi diag with 15 M ecu's.  This is pretty much the procedure I've been following, including warming the engine up to 60 c.  I'll give it another shot, but I'm not hopeful.  I've turned off my laptops firewall, and virus protection too.
Hmmmmmm????

Thanks much!

Andy

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #774 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:34 PM »
I have a 2004 Cali EV Touring, 15M, stock map. I know that I've had the same error message, just can't remember "how" it came up. Just another thought. When you shut the bike off, "just" use the key switch unless the program tells you otherwise. I may do some work on my bike in a day or two. I'll try to get that error to come up again and remember how to fix it and let you know. At least on my bike I know it was something simple in the sequence I did things or the model/version of the bike I was using.

Hopefully, someone that knows why that error comes up will chime in and solve your problem.

Good luck!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #775 on: February 24, 2016, 11:17:02 PM »
If this doesn't help, you might want to start a new thread of like GuzziDiag and my (model bike) with 15m and CO trim issue.

So...

Let's say you connected the cables to the bike and started GD and all is working fine with Key on and engine off. Then you started the bike to see the stats and all is fine. And then went to the CO Trim while following the prompts to turn engine off. Hit the Start button on the screen and then got the error.

Well..

Here is how I got the error to come up:

Started GD and followed prompts. Started bike to see temp and all. Went to CO trim while bike was running. GD told me to turn off. I did. While still in the CO screen, tried to get the CO Trim to work with the Start button on the screen... Got the same error you did.

Best as I can tell: When you turn off the bike at the kill switch or the key switch while GD is running, it shuts off GD. GD looks like it's still connected as far the the screen looks while engine off, at least the File/Disconnect is looking like it's connected. IT IS NOT CONNECTED after you use the switch or key to shut down.

You must use the File/Disconnect and then File/Reconnect with the Engine and Key off and follow the key on prompts. Then go to CO Trim and follow the Engine Start prompts.

Hope this has a clear explanation and it helps!! It not follow the first line above. Good luck!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Meinolf

• Gosling
« Reply #776 on: February 24, 2016, 11:26:50 PM »
Hi,

apart from following the procedure of GuzziDiag two conditions must be met to change CO trim. All errors must be cleared and the engine temperature must above 80°C.

Check if both are met by looking into the stored error section and clear them and select the engine temp display if the necessary temperature is reached.

Cheers
Meinolf

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2016, 01:56:48 AM »
And to add to that, the tps value at idle must not be to wrong, much to low f.i.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #778 on: February 27, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
Without having to search around, anyone have a copy of a 2012+ Griso with a Zard exhaust. Still need to confirm if it has roller Tappets or not so will take it both ways if you have it.

Offline Scottv8

• New Egg
« Reply #779 on: February 28, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
Hello all,
total newbie to the forum, been browsing for a while and reading posts with interest.

I have a 2008 Stelvio and have bought the Lonelec leads, downloaded the reader, writer and diagnostic programmes.
I have had a little play although I am way out of my depth to be changing anything too complicated.

Not sure if I really need to mess about with any mapping as the bike seems to run well and pull strong, although I have never ridden any other Guzzi so I have nothing to compare it to apart from my Hayabusa and KTM 640 which are totally different animals in their own inimitable ways  :evil:

I had a Triumph Tiger last, which had a map change along with a free flow exhaust.
The change was quite dramatic in a nice way, with more torque and more smoother revvy power.

The Stelvio does seem a little snatchy at low revs, round town / in traffic etc, but I expect that's due to the final drive layout?

The only engine mod I have is a K&N panel filter running without the rubber snorkel fitted (sounds a bit more growly)  :grin:

What would everyone suggest, leave it or map it?

I have read about the Lambda switch off making things a little smoother, guess I need to change a map for that on Tunerpro? which looks MASSIVELY complicated to a simpleton like me  :undecided:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here