Author Topic: New vibrations  (Read 1442 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
New vibrations
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:58:06 AM »
Been commuting on the v7 2013 this week.  Filtering through traffic on a stop and go freeway is great.... but I do take it easy.  Anyway, with nearly 3000 miles on the odometer, I've noticed a new vibration in the footpegs at lower rpm.  it's enough to make one think something is loose... I've checked visible nuts and bolts and only needed to tighten a couple on the rear muffler bracket. 

Then I thought of the transmission and read as many clutch adjustment threads as I could stand.  This morning checked the clutch and saw the locknut was totally loose.  As per forum guidance, I adjusted the cable at the hand lever, keeping free play at a couple millimeters.  The cable disappears under the battery box and I know there is an adjustment there but it looks like a job that requires more time than I have this morning.  I'll ride to work and report back later... maybe this will get rid of the "new vibrations"

oldbike54

Re: New vibrations
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
 Yes , and make sure one of the header pipes aren't touching something . Good luck .

Dusty

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 11:54:56 AM »
Pretty easy commute to work today.  Traffic wasn't bad at all and i didn't need to filter through traffic... for once.  Anyway, the vibration I was feeling seems to have vanished.  Until i feel it again, I'll assume that it had something to do with the clutch adjustment.  Hope its that simple.

Dusty, I checked the bolts on the header pipes coming from the cylinders and they don't seem loose at all.  And nothing between the cylinders is loose either.  I love that the Guzzi 'talks' to me... and teaches me to listen.

Vince

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »
Glad to hear you got that sorted. For future reference, the adjustment at the lower end is found on the clutch operating arm which is attached to the back of the gearbox & immediately behind the middle of the swingarm. It's a pain to get to. I've found that my adjustment down there with the bike intact is not reliable, but access is a lot easier if the rear wheel is off, the bevel box is off and a strap is holding the swingarm up out of the way.  It doesn't take long once you get used to it. You can actually see what you are doing then and hand/eye control is greatly improved.

Once you run out of adjustment at the lever, you will have to get to this part. When you do, loosen the lever adjustment all the way back before adjusting at the bottom. Pete Roper has a blow by blow description of the technique somewhere on here. A small spoke wrench is useful to adjust the screw.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 06:42:35 PM »
and teaches me to listen.

Uhh, you get it.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »
Sometimes my bikes have vibrated more or less than at others times. Even both of my Norges have done that. I chalk it up to air temperature, engine temperature, how fast I am traveling, and quirks with fueling.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Red Dog

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »
Sometimes my bikes have vibrated more or less than at others times. Even both of my Norges have done that. I chalk it up to air temperature, engine temperature, how fast I am traveling, and quirks with fueling.

Real happy that some one else notices this also. 
I think sometimes it is not the bike at all but the mood I might be in.

To the OP: Somebody posted about checking the header pipes and your reply was that you checked the manifold & other bolts, you also need to make sure the pipe(s) are not touching the frame.

Don't remember if you posted mileage but every bike I ever owned Guzzi or Victory went thru different vibrations as the bike broke in.  Both Guzzi & Victory seem to settle in best after the 20,000 mile mark.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here