Author Topic: Multistrada 620  (Read 2347 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Multistrada 620
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »
The motorcycle bug is itching lately.

The quirky look, light weight, and relatively inexpensive prices are tempting. 
Certainly not everyone's cup of tea... but... what have you heard, read, experienced? 

Reviews are generally good, but Ducati maintenance is no laughing matter.  How easy are they to take care of? 

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Multistrada 620
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:26:36 AM »
 I came close to buying one when the local dealer dumped Ducati and was selling them for $4500.My only problem was having to change the timing belts every 2 years, not a hard job, did it on my Paso but at $100 for the belts not cheap. Having said that I keep an eye out for them, cool bike.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
I purchased a new left over 2006 MS 620 new in 2008 and put 65,000 fantastic kms on it before an inattentive driver failed to yield and totaled it for me.  Absolutely fantastic bike.  Run with the big dogs all day but light and nimble.  Same size frame (different swing arm) seat and tank as the 1000 so lots of room for 2 up riding.   Only down side is Ducati maintenance costs and lack of trained mechanics with the tools to do those pesky valve adjustments.    If you ride a fair bit expect to spend $600US every second season for engine maintenance.  Other than that only normal wear items like chains, sprockets, brake pads and tires.  I'm not real handy but I managed to do everything myself with exception of the valves and timing belts.
They had a recall on the fuel tanks because of swelling due to ethanol but I think that has now run its course (10 years) so you might want to check for fuel tank deformation.  In extreme cases tanks became wedged in the frame and could not be R & R for maintenance.
Fun exotic bike on a budget that always draws a crowd.

Cheers, Tim
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:32:27 AM by timonbik »
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »
In the past 10 years or so Ducati has been extending the service interval on their bikes.  As I recall, the newest ones get the valves checked at 18K miles.  I do not think the change is due to any different materials, just making the bikes easier to sell.  Belts were supposed to be replaced every two years but I suspect that interval has been extended too.  I did the two year replacement on my various ducks and never saw any sign of wear so I bet you could go 4-5 years easily.  If you are patient you can do your own valve check but it's not a pleasant experience.  I bought a shim kit ($250 as I recall) so I was not at the mercy of the parts guy.  The 620 Monster I had for a very short period of time was pretty anemic, maybe the 620 Multistrada is more responsive.  Don't overlook the plastic tank.  My Multi 1000DS was on its 3rd tank when I traded it in.  Lucky for me they were all covered by warranty due to a class action suite.  If you have to buy a tank that could set you back $1K.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »
Yes they have extended service intervals on the new engines but the carryover engines remain at the old shorter intervals.  My mechanic/dealer always extended them anyway based on what the clearances were each time.  I was going on 30,000km on the last adjustment when the bike was wrecked as clearances were within spec on the previous check/adjustment.  Yes belts never showed any wear but if one were to break you'd be selling parts on Ebay as the motor would be toast.
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
Guys, the air cooled 2v motors are uber easy to service. Damn I get ticked when I hear the fear in people about this.

Belts, Could hardly be any easier, and every 2 years??? I've had belts in for over 7 years with zero checking or cracking. I go by the mileage limit more than time but checking condition is easy and swapping not much harder.

As a matter of fact, when doing the belt swap is the time to check the valves. That is also super easy. Get the manual.

I personally bought a shim kit and also sprung for the special machined collets instead of the round half rings. Once they take a set I've not had to adjust in over 20k.

If you can undo a couple screws and handle a feeler gauge you can check the valves. Swapping shims is easy if you can do even basic math to figure out what you need.

More a pain in the ass to change an oil filter in the sump of a Guzzi!
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
Basic air cooled Monsters and Multistradas have the easiest valve adjustment of any Ducati twin.  The linkage shock frame allows good access and there are only 4 valves.   Ducati was not unaware that these bikes would be used as commuters, especially in the Italian market.   Its not as easy as most Guzzis, but nothing like a water cooled 8 valve Ducati.

Replacement belts have improved with Kevlar reinforcement, and the California Cycle Works belts are $100/set.   I haven't heard much about belt breakages for quite a while.  Mileage and heat seems to be the biggest issue, versus time.  I just replaced a set that were eight years old without a lot of use and they looked brand new.  Next time if that bike still isn't ridden much I'll be ten years older.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:29:17 PM by Tusayan »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 03:22:54 PM »
I am really interested in the Multi. I have been trying to come up with way to live with only one or maybe two bikes. I took a ride over to Seacoast cycle last weekend to check out this low mileage trade in and was very impressed with it's all around versatility and ergo's. It would have to replace the 1400 custom we tour on and satisfy my need for speed with the Tuono. It gets better gas mileage than either of the for mentioned and 160hp . It has all the bells and whistles of a sport or a touring setup and can handle gravel duty as well. Very tempting in a lot of ways but also seems a compromise in some respects. I can only think of my early riding experience when owning a couple of enduro's. Basically what you got was a shitty street bike combined with a shitty dirt bike. I would imagine having to give up some comfort on the 14 and some performance on the tuono . I was offered a test ride but declined until spring . Of course this one will be gone by then. They said they sell a heap of them for all the reasons being mentioned.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
Liked the Multi but sold mine largely because of the tank issue. There were some quirks about the bike, too--if you want to take off the seat, you have to remove a bunch of plastic. One common solution was to use Velcro to attach the seat.

I didn't want to risk destroying the engine, so I changed belts at the recommended interval; not too bad of a job but I think over $100 for parts. I thought adjusting the valves was a pita, lots of plastic to remove if you do it by the book.

Rich

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »
The 620 is an easy conversion to a Multistrada 800.

M
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »
You might find that the forthcoming V85 fits your needs for a do-it-all bike, if you can wait a bit.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »
You might find that the forthcoming V85 fits your needs for a do-it-all bike, if you can wait a bit.

Agreed, that is why I am in no rush. Can't wait to test that 85. Not sure how the pillions will like it though.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »
I know with the Monsters, some 620s were 5 speeds and at some year model they switched them to a 6 speed.  Were all the Multis 6 speeds? 

Not sure what Ducati was thinking with putting a 5 speed in some of those years, I mean it took extra effort on their part to make it a 5 speed.   :laugh:

As for maintenance, I was fortunate to have 2 independent Ducati service shops within 30 minutes from me ... they charged about 1/2 to 2/3 less than a Ducati shop for service work ... and they were Ducati nuts (tons of experience, excellent mechanics, loved what they were doing, etc).  If you are in San Diego hopefully you can find a similar shop. 

If I was not mechanically inclined and only had an official Ducati dealer for service work, and put a lot of miles on a bike, I think I would pass on a Ducati.  I'd buy a 650 V-Strom.   :grin:

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
I know with the Monsters, some 620s were 5 speeds and at some year model they switched them to a 6 speed.  Were all the Multis 6 speeds? 

Not sure what Ducati was thinking with putting a 5 speed in some of those years, I mean it took extra effort on their part to make it a 5 speed.   :laugh:

As for maintenance, I was fortunate to have 2 independent Ducati service shops within 30 minutes from me ... they charged about 1/2 to 2/3 less than a Ducati shop for service work ... and they were Ducati nuts (tons of experience, excellent mechanics, loved what they were doing, etc).  If you are in San Diego hopefully you can find a similar shop. 

If I was not mechanically inclined and only had an official Ducati dealer for service work, and put a lot of miles on a bike, I think I would pass on a Ducati.  I'd buy a 650 V-Strom.   :grin:
Actually had a 650 vstrom.  It was a good bike, a bit tall, comfortable enough... but it lacked that 'certain something ' ... I found no passion in it

Sold the vstrom and bought a Vespa ET4.  Had the Vespa for several years until I sold it (sold it for what I bought it for - those buggers hold their value).  The 2013 V7 was my next bike.  Had it two years and sold it after injuring my right wrist ( didn't think I'd be riding anymore)... but the wrist has healed to about 80% function - enough to keep playing guitar - and maybe enough for a lighter bike.
The 620 Duc seems a possibility and I've seen a couple for sale cheap.  The new V85 is another possibility.  Have to wait and see. 

I'm not a mechanic, don't pretend to be, but I don't mind taking my time learning new things... I don't need a commuter, my Fiat 500e has that covered... so I have lots of time.

Heck, it seems I just can't stop thinking about riding.  It's a powerful habit hard to break.  I just love the feeling, sounds, smells... it's just makes me feel alive despite the humdrum daily routines.   :bike-037:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:15:25 AM by vstevens »

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
The motorcycle bug is itching lately.

The quirky look, light weight, and relatively inexpensive prices are tempting. 
Certainly not everyone's cup of tea... but... what have you heard, read, experienced? 

Reviews are generally good, but Ducati maintenance is no laughing matter.  How easy are they to take care of?

I had an ST3, wanted a Multi 1100 but looked at a Multi 620 after my ST3 was totalled.
Prices are good!  Most are still low mileage (not sure why).  I didn't just cuz of the HP.
That says more about me than the bike.  Wasn't sure I could go back to a sub-85HP bike.
The only down side (to me) was the wheels & swingarm.  They are just like the ST3. 
They just didn't look as robust as the Multi 1000 & 1100. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:16:04 AM by oilhed »
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 10:25:31 AM »
I had an ST3, wanted a Multi 1100 but looked at a Multi 620 after my ST3 was totalled.
Prices are good!  Most are still low mileage (not sure why).  I didn't just cuz of the HP.
That says more about me than the bike.  Wasn't sure I could go back to a sub-85HP bike...

HP is important, and a personal preference thing.  Myself, I don't mind low HP bikes.  Most useful bike I owned was a 150 Vespa... and the V7 felt outright powerful in comparison.  But I get it, once you have it it's hard to settle for less HP.  When I was in my twenties, 30 years ago, I had a BMW K100.  It was a beast (to me).  I don't think I could ride it slow if I tried... but maybe being 25 had something to do with that 💀

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here