Author Topic: Lane Splitting  (Read 17303 times)

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
Re: Lane Splitting
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:02 AM »
My pleasure. And I'll add that I think education will be super important if this spreads to other states. On my last ride into Arizona I forgot that it was illegal and started going up the front of the line at a light. People deliberately blocked me - I think one guy was about ready to get out of his truck and I was planning my escape route. California car drivers are, for the most part, accustomed to lane splitting and don't generally get upset about it (except for the people who blow by at 40mph faster than the flow of traffic).

I was commuting on the interstate here in Houston in the fast lane and an SUV with CA plates pulled to the right side of the lane to let me by!

I was thrilled and gave him a big wave!!

I love splitting and filtering but will be very cautious if this becomes legal in TX.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 08:42:18 AM »
The thread is marked NGC.   :tongue:  As a moderator, you don't have to post a reply.  Some are interested in the law passing especially those that ride in CA.  I'm one of them.
[/quote

(NGC) Blatantly showing objectivity shows partiality based on ones emotions. Interjections such as this from a moderator do not give me a lot of confidence nor show much professionalism.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »
 So I gotta give up my amateur status KD ?

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
I did a search for lane splitting and the website said to start a new topic.  :tongue:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=73836.0;last_msg=1154219

Governor Brown signed into law in California.

http://ridermagazine.com/2016/08/19/california-lane-splitting-bill-signed-into-law/

That's not exactly what it said.

The thread has been merged.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 10:14:57 AM »
Quote from: guzzi4me on August 21, 2016, 08:03:06 PM

Of course the mind set of the common US driver is "I DON'T want you to get ahead of me" will take a while to change.

Boy, isn't that the truth.  An attitude of disdain.

Yeah, I had a truck driver on I-80 swing his rig into my path as I split lanes in one of those massive backups on that route. I stopped, let him rant, the traffic moved and I quietly passed him.

It's OK for people to speed, tailgate,text,etc. but split lanes while they're stopped and they loose their minds.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »
That's not exactly what it said.

The thread has been merged.

Thanks Mike , I knew there was another thread , just couldn't locate it .

Dusty

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

I was commuting on the interstate here in Houston in the fast lane and an SUV with CA plates pulled to the right side of the lane to let me by!

I was thrilled and gave him a big wave!!

I love splitting and filtering but will be very cautious if this becomes legal in TX.

Tom

That's common in CA. My daily commute doesn't involve freeway anymore (used to), but I usually filter to the front of every signal. When I do ride the freeway at busy times, it's almost like there's an unofficial motorcycle lane between the two LH lanes. People generally move aside a bit to make for easier passage. Whether they're being polite or just worried that a motorcyclist is going to side-swipe them, I can't say - probably some of both. The effect was most noticeable when I had an R1100RT - same profile as the police bikes. I think it helps that the CHP have been splitting lanes for a long time - setting the example.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »

Of course the mind set of the common US driver is "I DON'T want you to get ahead of me" will take a while to change.

I was taught from kindergarten on not to cut line.  For the water fountain.  For lunch.  For the bus.  For just about everything.  Even when a friend would offer to let me in line, another kid would complain to the teacher.  Every time, I would be sent to the end of the line.  It wasn't just me, but every kid who would cut, or be offered a cut.  The teachers strongly enforced the "no cutting line" rule, because cutting line was obviously "unfair" to the others, so they had a no tolerance policy.

When the schools train kids "absolutely no cutting line" instead of something a more tolerant, is it no wonder that kids grow up to be adults with the "absolutely no cutting" thing ingrained in their heads?

It's a society issue that will not change quickly or easily.  Everyone is taught that cutting line is not fair.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:24:20 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 10:24:17 AM »
I have been splitting lanes in NYC for years, but it has gotten much harder since they added all the bicycle lanes so those riders can ignore the traffic laws,run red lights,etc.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »
I have been splitting lanes in NYC for years, but it has gotten much harder since they added all the bicycle lanes so those riders can ignore the traffic laws,run red lights,etc.

Er , uh , ... hmm ...

Dusty

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »
I was taught from kindergarten on not to cut line.  For the water fountain.  For lunch.  For the bus.  For just about everything.  Even when a friend would offer to let me in line, another kid would complain to the teacher.  Every time, I would be sent to the end of the line.  It wasn't just me, but every kid who would cut, or be offered a cut.  The teachers strongly enforced the "no cutting line" rule, because cutting line was obviously "unfair" to the others, so they had a no tolerance policy.

When the schools train kids "absolutely no cutting line" instead of something a more tolerant, is it no wonder that kids grow up to be adults with the "absolutely no cutting" thing ingrained in their heads?

It's a society issue that will not change quickly or easily.  Everyone is taught that cutting line is not fair.

I was splitting lanes when some guy from NJ* started giving me shit. I usually don't say anything but I stopped, backed up and suggested that his commute would be less painful if there were more people on motorcycles splitting lanes than the pack of endless cars in front of him.  I was polite, he looked bewildered and I continued my way home. This isn't cutting in line to displace someone else.

*This has nothing against NJ or it's drivers.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
   This isn't cutting in line to displace someone else.

But the drivers don't "feel" this way.  And it's all about "feelings", no?  LOL!

They've been taught that cutting line is gaining an advantage, whether that's true or not.

Cutting line to get on a bus after school makes no difference and doesn't affect anyone's ability to get on the bus in time to depart.  But the kids who cut are still sent to the back of the line.

Hey man, I agree with you.  I'm just pointing out that this no cutting thing is ingrained.  It's "not fair" for you to have an advantage on your motorcycle.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
But the drivers don't "feel" this way.  And it's all about "feelings", no?  LOL!

They've been taught that cutting line is gaining an advantage, whether that's true or not.

Cutting line to get on a bus after school makes no difference and doesn't affect anyone's ability to get on the bus in time to depart.  But the kids who cut are still sent to the back of the line.

Hey man, I agree with you.  I'm just pointing out that this no cutting thing is ingrained.  It's "not fair" for you to have an advantage on your motorcycle.

I'm not arguing with you either. Yeah it isn't fair, but in almost all cases it doesn't impede their ability to get to their destination, because the cars in front of them are the problem, not some rider putting past them in their frozen vehicles.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »
I'm not arguing with you either. Yeah it isn't fair, but in almost all cases it doesn't impede their ability to get to their destination, because the cars in front of them are the problem, not some rider putting past them in their frozen vehicles.

There are several other data points that you can observe on the road every day that indicate that "No Fair Cutting In On The Lunch Line" is just a small part of the problem.

How many times have you seen someone tailgating you, trying to get around you on a two or four lane road, then finally getting a gap, passing you like a ball of fire with the four-barrel cut in ....

... and then, 30 seconds later, you are back up beside them again because they have slowed down to slower than YOU were going?   They weren't thinking about queues or you were going to take advantage of them.

They wanted to BEAT YOU!   Get In Front of you!    Show You Who's Tough!   And once they did it, they don't care any more, they've shown YOU!    Same with lane splitting.   If they're stuck in their $40,000 car, and you idle past them on your $4000 motorcycle, it's as if you're dry-humping them in front of all their friends.   They won't put up with it, and they might swerve or pretend to open a door or whatever.   

It's a facet of the American character that I dislike the most, and understand the least ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »
Win-Win = Mutual benefit
Win-Lose = Competition
Lose-Lose = Spite

We can argue about the relative benefits of win-win versus win-lose orientations, but the willingness of drivers to put themselves in lose-lose situations for their own reasons is a big cause of bad things happening on the road. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
 Nothing new here , cars try to "share" lanes with motorbikes on a regular basis out here in the middle .

Dusty

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 12:11:44 PM »
There are several other data points that you can observe on the road every day that indicate that "No Fair Cutting In On The Lunch Line" is just a small part of the problem.

How many times have you seen someone tailgating you, trying to get around you on a two or four lane road, then finally getting a gap, passing you like a ball of fire with the four-barrel cut in ....

... and then, 30 seconds later, you are back up beside them again because they have slowed down to slower than YOU were going?   They weren't thinking about queues or you were going to take advantage of them.

They wanted to BEAT YOU!   Get In Front of you!    Show You Who's Tough!   And once they did it, they don't care any more, they've shown YOU!    Same with lane splitting.   If they're stuck in their $40,000 car, and you idle past them on your $4000 motorcycle, it's as if you're dry-humping them in front of all their friends.   They won't put up with it, and they might swerve or pretend to open a door or whatever.   

It's a facet of the American character that I dislike the most, and understand the least ....

Lannis

Yeah, I don't understand the problem. I can see it if was a race, but what idiot thinks they can win in a car,etc. vs. a motorcycle in congested urban traffic provided they stay within the boundaries of the roadway?

PS. I have only encountered one door opener and I would never engage a person who thinks death is the answer for lane splitting.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Fuzzy

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
They wanted to BEAT YOU!   Get In Front of you!    Show You Who's Tough!   And once they did it, they don't care any more, they've shown YOU!   
Lannis
Or they were stoned 8-)

Fuzzy

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »
Er , uh , ... hmm ...

Dusty
Oh, he'll show those two-wheelin', lane-splitting, helmet wearin' scofflaws who's boss. You bet!

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »
I was taught from kindergarten on not to cut line.  For the water fountain.  For lunch.  For the bus.  For just about everything.

Curious if you've ever been to Europe or Asia?

These days, it seems splitting is more acceptable. I say that because in the '70s some cage drivers tried to block me when splitting, now I find more drivers are moving to give me more room.
Kirk

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 01:39:44 PM »
Curious if you've ever been to Europe

I think that trip is still classified, so my answer is "no".
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
Since line cutting has become a topic in this thread  -
I consider going to the front at traffic lights bad form, maybe unless the line was several lights long.
But here, in ferry lines it's expected that bikes go to the front. Do you have the same practice in the US?
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Honestly, I don't trust a driver in a car to not be a douche and open a door while I'm splitting.

People are becoming more and more unhinged.  Youtube angry people and look at all the crazies out there! 
06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

stormshearon

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
In Washington state, yes. Motorcycles get to go directly to the front and get to get off first on arrival. It is very civilized.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2016, 02:40:44 PM »
First,  Thanks Mike, for merging the threads for reasons stated on the start of the other thread. 

The passing of a law that directly involves motorcycle usage and definitely codifies it should make it easier for motorcyclists in that state.  Hopefully it'll influence other states to address the urban congestion that slows their traffic.  It encourages use of other transport besides a single passenger in a vehicle at the same time when others are using the same roadway.

The U.S situation will change slowly when urban congestion gets so bad that "other" solutions will need enactment.  Putting a young American in a car with unfettered use does not help the problem.  Tiered licensing and price of vehicles/insurance will also have a big influence on how Americans view motorcyclists.  It will change with time.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »
Next Cali needs legal Lane Spliffin.  :boozing:

Up In Smoke 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:04:24 PM by Cool Runnings »

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:30 PM »
Here in France drivers will almost put themselves into a ditch to LET you pass them. 

If you are behind a car on a normal road or a motorway they will even make room in their own lane to let you pass - even if you don't want to, or are travelling at the same speed and haven't shown any intent / interest in passing. 

UK is same as US - they'd rather put you IN the ditch than let you past.  These are the two extremes that I have experienced, with most countries in Europe somewhere in between.

I don't know if there is some presumption of guilt if a car driver collides with a m/c over here - but they are VERY bike aware. All you do is 'kick a leg' to show your appreciation.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »

I don't know if there is some presumption of guilt if a car driver collides with a m/c over here - but they are VERY bike aware. All you do is 'kick a leg' to show your appreciation.

That "kick a leg" thing always reminds me of a dog raising his leg to pee; doesn't look like a Thank You to me!   I'm sticking with a friendly wave ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »
 :1:  The first time I saw the leg wave.  I was thinking "WTF!"  Doesn't take much effort to wave with the left hand.  Maybe they're afraid to take their hand off the handlebars. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2016, 07:23:15 PM »
Since line cutting has become a topic in this thread  -
I consider going to the front at traffic lights bad form, maybe unless the line was several lights long.
But here, in ferry lines it's expected that bikes go to the front. Do you have the same practice in the US?

In many places, (British Columbia, Canadian Maritimes, US northwest), motorcycles are not only allowed but expected to move to the front at ferry lines. I have seen signs to that effect in some of these locations, directing riders to move to the front. In some cases, this is because they can move more quickly off the ferry on arrival, and so they're placed at the area nearest the roll-off door. In other cases, it allows ferry staff to place the motorcycles in locations where they can be parked in spots that wouldn't hold a car or truck.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here