Author Topic: Velorex sidecars. Model 563 Touring  (Read 16135 times)

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
Re: Velorex sidecars. Model 563 Touring
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
I do know that Ural and Dneprs that had full time 2WD used little to no toe-in.

I think I talked to that guy about the installation of that 2WD sidecar. Interesting but not something I wanted to tackle.
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 01:48:43 PM »
noted.
toe-in of less than a half inch does indeed make for a VERY twitchy machine. I run everything at 1/2 to 3/4. Does not seem to adversely affect tire wear and makes for much more stable tracking. Right now I have a R1150GS in the garage that is getting a driven sidecar. It will be interesting to see if normal toe in settings still work if the sidecar wheel is also pushing. I'm thinking that less toe-in might be needed. We'll seen

I'm not saying it was twitchy, it was just a sidecar.  ~; ;D You are either a sidecarist, or not. I found that I wasn't. People that have had it since said it is a great handling rig. It has a Unit front end, sidecar brake, and electric lean. We drove it all over the country including climbing Pikes Peak, and have (slowly)  ~; done hundreds of miles of twistys. I'll still stand by the "evil handling" statement.  ;D :BEER:
We'd still have it, but Dorcia's back just couldn't handle "sitting on the floor" any more. It was the last time we've done any long distance travel on two or three wheels.. :(
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
Gonna have to keep my eye out for that 2WD 'hack 'round Watertown...
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
I do know that Ural and Dneprs that had full time 2WD used little to no toe-in.

I think I talked to that guy about the installation of that 2WD sidecar. Interesting but not something I wanted to tackle.
I'm sure you're name came up when Dan was looking for someone to do the install for him. Thank for the info on the 2WD Urals. That's good to know. It is a BIG project. LOTS of machining and re-designing as it comes together. Not impressed by the Dauntless subframe for this application though. Am beefing it up for its new load.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
 :+1 on David Hough's book.  Good start.  I'd recommend riding an atv.  Similar characteristics when riding into corners.  If you're planning on doing any long trips with one consider that it'll take longer than a solo bike.  You can carry more but than means you'll need to carry a gas can with spare fuel.  "That being said", I remember seeing a couple on his and her hacks.  Both were w/c bound.  They enjoyed the heck out of their rigs.  They had Converts as tugs.  This was 2 Nationals ago at New Cumberland.  Use to go into the parking lot to count fallen over bikes too.   ~; :D
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here