Author Topic: California 1400 Windshield - turbulence  (Read 16097 times)

Offline CBJoe

• New Egg
California 1400 Windshield - turbulence
« on: April 12, 2015, 05:53:59 PM »
Hello Folks,  I'd like to inquire with other California 1400 owners (with guzzi windshield) about turbulence and head buffeting.  I have a number of bikes with no windscreens, so this is what I'm comparing to with regards to helmet area turbulence. 

On my triumph bonneville, I have a small Fly-Screen and though I have lots of wind resistance, it doesn't cause helmet area buffeting.  http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/accessories/retro/images/Bonneville_Fly%20Screen.jpg

I put the Guzzi Touring Windscreen on my california custom, and both my wife and I get helmet area buffeting at 60+ MPH speeds that is worse than riding without the shield.  It's not horrible, but when you are on the road for 2+ hours it gets headache inducing. 

It's very obvious that it is the wind "bubble" from the screen that is hitting at the top of my helmet and then most of my wifes head area. 

So the question is to cut the screen lower like I've seen here from WFORIDER (and maybe he can chime in with input on shorting the screen)  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=65010.0   Or to put an extender on it to make the air "bubble" taller. 

Thanks for the input.  I do like having the air kept off my chest, but the helmet vibrations suck  :'(

Cheers, Joe

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
Re: California 1400 Windshield - turbulence
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:15:11 PM »
I have a buddy that has one, he's a bit short than me and does not complain about turbulence. I hope to test ride in May. Until then, I have had bunch of experience with turbulence and in two cases the addition of a Laminair Lip was a big help. Something to consider.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline gwb_mg

• Pemberton Twp, NJ
  • Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:17:20 PM »
I too had the turbulence/buffeting problem on my 1400T, put the Guzzi air deflectors on and the turbulence stopped completely.
http://www.harpermoto.com/california-1400-exhaust-tips-clone.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:34:24 PM by gwb_mg »
2014 Cali Touring (current)
1984 Cali II "Auto" (current)
1980 Convert (current)
1976 Convert
1981 Convert
2002 Cali EV Touring (back in Boston)
2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory (back in Boston)

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:26:11 PM »
I have both the wind deflectors and a Laminar Lip and the buffeting is greatly reduced but not entirely gone.  I have seen on a couple of websites that you can put spacers such as rubber or plastic washers between the windshield and its lower mounting points on the bracket to give the shield a bit more rake,  I am thinking about that for the near future. .
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:26:11 PM »

Offline CBJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »
I too had the turbulence problem on my 1400T, put the Guzzi air deflectors on and the turbulence stopped completely.
http://www.harpermoto.com/california-1400-exhaust-tips-clone.html

Hmm...the turbulence is mostly on the helmet so I'm not sure how the side deflectors would help unless I'm missing where they mount.

Offline gwb_mg

• Pemberton Twp, NJ
  • Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »

Hmm...the turbulence is mostly on the helmet so I'm not sure how the side deflectors would help unless I'm missing where they mount.
The deflectors keep the wind from coming up and around the lower part of the windshield, they do work.
1980 Convert (current)
1976 Convert
1981 Convert

Offline CBJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 06:36:41 PM »
I have both the wind deflectors and a Laminar Lip and the buffeting is greatly reduced but not entirely gone.  I have seen on a couple of websites that you can put spacers such as rubber or plastic washers between the windshield and its lower mounting points on the bracket to give the shield a bit more rake,  I am thinking about that for the near future. .

Now there's an idea.  That would be super easy to test.  I think I've got some different sized plastic washers/spacers already in the garage.  

BTW...do you have a picture of your bike with both the Laminar Lip and the deflectors?

Cheers, Joe

Offline CBJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 06:40:40 PM »
The deflectors keep the wind from coming up and around the lower part of the windshield, they do work.

Gotcha...thanks.  Didn't think about the wind coming from that direction.  I can actually follow the flow of air from the top of the screen with my hand and feel the turbulence starting just in front of my face and then hitting the top of my head.  So I wasn't focusing on the side deflectors.  But they cant hurt either as I'm sure it's a compounding issue from deflection from the side and top  :)

Joe

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
"Cop Bike" shields are well known for causing the issues you are having.  It's caused (this is the simple version) by the low pressure area on the back side of the shield being filled-or trying to be filled-by the high pressure air everywhere else.

What works for one will not for another.  You'll need to explore many solutions until you find what works.  Helmets have an effect, too.

A vent installed into your shield may very well solve the problem.  For an idea look at the GoldWing shield.  You can purchase the vent and have it installed.  Harley found this out-the evidence is the venting to control pressure in the new RoadGlide.

CalSci and/or Clearview may be able to assist.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Wissing

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
I put spacers (1/2 inch) between the windshield and lower mounting points. It reduced buffeting quite a lot for me. It's easy and cheap - worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MG V85TT Travel
MG California 1400 Touring (sold)
Honda CTX700D
Indian Scout

Offline CBJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
I put spacers (1/2 inch) between the windshield and lower mounting points. It reduced buffeting quite a lot for me. It's easy and cheap - worth a try.

I just installed 1/2 in spacers and I'll see how it goes when riding to work in a day or so.  I'll post input on whether it helped at all after trying out for a bit.

Joe

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 03:52:21 PM »
I put the Guzzi Touring Windscreen on my california custom, and both my wife and I get helmet area buffeting at 60+ MPH speeds that is worse than riding without the shield.  It's not horrible, but when you are on the road for 2+ hours it gets headache inducing. 

Yup,  First thing I noticed was at 60 mph my head was rattling just like the Bassa did.....  I ended up spending $1,000 to cure it with a H&H (Swanee) from Harpers and a pearl white paint job to match it to the bike. 
Frank Wedge adapted a Swanee/H&H to his 1400.

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline CBJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
Thanks for the links.  I'm not ready to chop the Shield just yet.  Gonna play around a little more.

I just did a quick ride 0 - 80mph on a highway and amazingly most all of the buffeting is gone from my position.  I'm going to have to go for a ride with the wife to see our combined consensus.  Here's a pic of the 1/2" Spacers I installed. If all tests out well in long run i'll install some nicer looking metal spacers.

Regards, Joe

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Harper's has the Cal 14 listed for the H&H:

http://www.harpermoto.com/h-and-h-fairing-for-cali-1400.html

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
Interesting using the spacers on the bottom.  When I was experimenting with the Calif. Touring windshield, I had 1 inch of spacers at the top mount to move the shield forward which raised the "wind" higher to miss my head....(somewhat)
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline CBJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
Interesting using the spacers on the bottom.  When I was experimenting with the Calif. Touring windshield, I had 1 inch of spacers at the top mount to move the shield forward which raised the "wind" higher to miss my head....(somewhat)

I'll be honest I thought the same, but both comments above mentioned putting the spacers on the lower mount points.  All I can guess is that it does a combination of things...one of which is changeing the pressure area because the pitch is different.

Wont know for sure until I get both myself and my wife out on the roads for a bit.  Did almost 400 miles this last weekend, so I'm sure if there's a difference i'll feel it ;)

Joe

Offline Wissing

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
The idea behind the lowe mounted spacers is to allow for a little more air flow on the inside of the shield, which results in a more even pressure on the two sides of the shield.

MG V85TT Travel
MG California 1400 Touring (sold)
Honda CTX700D
Indian Scout

Offline gwb_mg

• Pemberton Twp, NJ
  • Gosling
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »
Harper's has the Cal 14 listed for the H&H:

http://www.harpermoto.com/h-and-h-fairing-for-cali-1400.html

I have one on my Cali II and it great to ride behind, will probably be getting one for my 1400T.
1980 Convert (current)
1976 Convert
1981 Convert

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
FWIW--I did the "nylon spacer" approach described above and I just got back from a brief interstate ride at ~70 mph, and it really helped the helmet buffeting.

(of course, neither Ace Hardware nor Home Depot sell button-head Allen-wrench bolts in the necessary extended length, so I'm stuck with ugly Phillips-head bolts on the front of my bike--but hey).
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

perk5560

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 07:13:32 AM »
I know its been awhile since the last post on this topic but am wondering what became of the idea of using spacers on the bottom bolts of the windshield, angling the windshield and thereby reducing turbulence.

My only concern on this is developing stress cracks over time around the top windshield bolt holes since the windshield does not lie flat against the windshield bracket.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
Based on this very thread, last year I put the nylon spacers--just not as long/deep as those pictured above. I just sold my California, but after a year I saw no problems with the windshield itself, and the helmet buffeting was much better.
--
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
I put Vetter Pop Vents on my Rifle Cal Vintage shield (slightly taller and wider than stock) and adjusted for rake that matched the angle of the forks. The buffeting stopped and summer riding got a little more comfortable...

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »
I wonder if they'll come out with a proper fairing for the T models? 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:08:13 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
Question here. Is the screen on the Cali14s the way it is due to styling? I am guessing so as I have to assume Guzzi knows how to design a better screen with their wind tunnel and all. Surprised by the effectiveness of the bottom spacers. Guzzi didn't experiment with things like that?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 03:40:36 AM »

They do help some. They are on the bottom corner of the shield on either side and extend up slightly behind the shield. They probably deflect a little air to the back side. I did notice an improvement. All in all, mine doesn't seem terrible. I look over the shield and don't seem to get beat up.

John Henry

perk5560

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
What I've noticed on my longer rides is a neck and shoulder ache but from what I can't quite figure out.  I lift my head up more and really don't feel much of a difference and the same when I lower my head.  Not much difference.  My previous bike was a Roadking and I never had neck pain but did have pain in my lower back after a long ride.  So who knows?   

On my earlier post I stated my concern of developing stress cracks around the upper windshield mount holes but Segesta was kind enough to respond that he didn't notice any cracks after a year of riding.  I may push forward with the spacers if the MG wind deflectors I just ordered don't seem to help.

Dave

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »
1" spacers top and bottom.  Laminar lip.  Large PVC pipe deflectors.  May slot the screen and put scoop/guide in to direct upwards.  Much much better, I'm just tall.

See http://imgur.com/a/cI4lf

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »
Question here. Is the screen on the Cali14s the way it is due to styling? I am guessing so as I have to assume Guzzi knows how to design a better screen with their wind tunnel and all. Surprised by the effectiveness of the bottom spacers. Guzzi didn't experiment with things like that?
GliderJohn

There's a reason the aftermarket for windshields is huge--because manufacturers DON'T experiment with things like that. At least, my BMW K1300GT also had a lousy stock windshield, so Aeroflow got several hundred of my dollars. The OEMs just go with what looks good on the sales floor, I think.
I thought Guzzi had that innovative wind tunnel, but maybe they don't use it...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:27:40 PM by segesta »
--
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Johan

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
After market higher screen + spacers at the bottom. Works for me.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here