Author Topic: Garage Size  (Read 15064 times)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
Garage Size
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »
Just moved into a new house. Am adding a workshop for my motorcycles.  What size is too small, too big, excetra.
I do all my own maintenance but usually avoid any larger tools  like an auto lift. I have three motorcycles; two that are ridden and one in storage.  I'm going to keep it at about that number, but may get a fourth bike down the line.

Right now I'm thinking 20ft by 12ft.  Reasonable?

Any qualities or accessories I should demand of the builder?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Re: Garage Size
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:34:47 PM »
No such thing as too big.  My garage is 28X24 and it is too small.  Need more room for work benches.

I really would recommend a bike table.  Best money I ever spent.  Build as large as you can.   :thumb:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »
Mine is 20 x 20. Nowhere near bid enough.  Of course,  it also has my wife's Suzuki Swift, the Guzzi, three push bikes along with metal bandsaw, lathe, dropsaw, pedestal drill, various welders, hydraulic press, lawn mower and a partridge in a pear tree. :rolleyes:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

nunzio

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
You can never have too much light or too many electrical outlets...Alan

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
Never big enough! I have a 1500 square foot garage (5 car) and its packed. Three cars and three bikes. I have a cycle lift table and a scissors car lift so they take space. I would suggest at minimum 30 feet deep and 40 feet wide.
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »
This is the empty one. 30 X 40.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
This is the empty one. 30 X 40.

Very nice building!!! I would like to build something similar for my retirement. 12 foot walls?
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:45:04 PM »
MIne's 48'x96' and it's too small.  Just get about 4X what you think you need, so you won't outgrow it for a few months.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:52:23 PM »
Mine's 30' x 40'.    About right for me.   When I'm filling it up, I've really got more projects than I can do, and it's time to get rid of things.

I've got lots and lots of 120V, 20 amp outlets, and quite a few 240V outlets for things like welders and compressors, only one of which I'm using.   I have one 240V 50 amp outlet for the electric heater.    3 workbenches for parallel projects.   One attachment point in the ceiling (10 ft ceiling) for a chain fall.

You can never have too much light.    I have 9 8-foot long quad fluorescent fixtures, so 36 fluorescent tubes on the ceiling, and 12 more over my workbenches.

I could have had a Vincent for what it cost 15 years ago, but it is SOOO worth it .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
Jeezus, I feel kinda guilty w/a 3 car garage.  :embarassed:   No room for the car or truck.

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 12:01:24 AM »
Like the others said, go as big as you can.  I think you'd outgrow 20' x 12' real quick.  I agree with Dusty, go at least 20 x 16.  The extra 4 feet makes a huge difference.  One of my garages is 22 x 16.  I have about a 2' work bench along the back wall.  It is small, but descent space.

Good luck

Randy

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 12:24:31 AM »
Very nice building!!! I would like to build something similar for my retirement. 12 foot walls?

The former owner bought some antique post and beam barn frames. Outside is modern siding. Inside is mortise and tenon. really cool.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 01:07:27 AM »
Mines a 30' x 30' with 8' rollups, a 9' joist height and it's still to small.

One thing that I didn't plan on is the "little woman" taking up two stalls.  :thewife:

You're going to need 2' along one wall with about 6' of walk / work space.

One of the best things I did in building my garage is No Windows!  Put windows in the rollups at above 6' and skylights.  Also sheetrock the walls but keep the roof structure open for storage.

If I had it to do over again I'd do a 30' x 40' and put a partition wall down the wife's side at 12' so she could keep all her junk over there.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »
Mine is 30x50 with an insulated "Shop" and motorcycle storage area that is about 14x30. I get along with that with two Guzzi's anda Trail 90.
It sure could be bigger however. I use one of those hotel type of combination heat/AC wall units.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 06:33:08 AM »
More space=more motorcycles=less $$=unhappy wife  :thewife:
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 07:09:41 AM »
Two points:
1.  Test and measure any layout ideas.  For example can you park a car, open the door and still clear the lawnmower or workbench or motorcycle parked next to it?
2.  Cost of front, back of building, overhead door or whatever will show you that the 'incremental cost' is very low.  For all the material and work the difference between a 12' wide and 16' wide is...?

Cheers,
Mike
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

Offline sknapp351

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 07:19:14 AM »

I think this is what I need. My current garage is too small to discuss. It does keep my bike and tools dry, at least.

Sam

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
Wife has her own single car garage for her Miata, and I'll be strict about none of her debris creeping into my motorcycle workshop. 

Previous house had a good size double bay garage, and it was impossible keeping her items from invading my space.  My side was approx. 12 x 22 or 24, and plenty of room.  Although, having a separate work bench for gunsmithing is a great idea.  Maybe I should allot for that.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
Since you are planning on this being a motorcycle workshop and not a parking garage for lawn mowers etc. I would think a 20x16 would be adequate. However big you make it make sure you have more than enough outlets. I have an outlet every 4ft. in my garage.

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »
We have a 2 door but 3 stall 34'x26' and it would be nice if it was bigger :boozing: I'm down to 3 bikes now and it seems huge even with the lift in there, remember when you put up shelves and a work bench the space gets smaller, in the winter I put my 2 cars in and with the bikes there is very little room to work without taking 1 of the cars out, sooo take the size you think will work and then double it and it will probably still be to small, plus like the others have said put outlets and lights everywhere :thumb:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

canuck750

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
Depends if you are looking for lots of storage space or work space or both.
I have a 20 x 24 garage and five years ago added 5 feet x 18 feet to one side and cut open the side wall, installed a 4 foot wide door out the lane. I can work / store two bikes in the annex, two cars in the garage side and have a lot of bench space in front of the cars. More room would be very nice but I get buy. You can do a lot with less.

As many have said, lots of power option, compressed air (in my attic), floor drain and water. Lights, lights and more lights, and paint the floor.
Overhead natural gas heat, drywall and OSB walls, insulated and sealed and a big through wall exhaust fan.

I make great use of the overhead crane I installed to suspend bikes during disassembly and reassembly.

Most of my tools are close to reach, I sold off my big tool boxes years ago.

a four foot six inch wide bench is still useful

I don't have much room left for any more tools or bikes in this garage but it works for me.

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
  • non e il rumore, e la musica
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »

I think this is what I need. My current garage is too small to discuss. It does keep my bike and tools dry, at least.

Sam

I'm in love, I always say if I win the lottery I will build a garage with a house attached

Steve Stamilio

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
Central heat and a/c, regardless of what climate you are in.  Insulation to go with that.  Bike table / car lift and overhead space for a hoist or pulley.

garagejournal.com is a great resource.

My three-car has my wife's car, my daughter's Jeep, and I get the third bay for a workbench and the bike.  My car is out in the elements....
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »
All garages are too small.  No garage in the history of forever has ever been too large.

When I grow up I'm going to build this huge garage and park a motor home inside for a house.

nunzio

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »
WARNING.....The Law of Expanding Gases..... does apply to any size shop you build.  :thumb:

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

I get the third bay for a workbench and the bike.  My car is out in the elements....

That's what I did in my previous house, I reserved my garage bay for the bikes and workshop.  Car was left to the elements.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »
I'll chime in...as big as you can afford, and then some.  Electrical outlets every 4' (the ones with four outlets), at least one 220 outlet on each wall, and a couple outlets in the ceiling.  I'm serious about the ceiling.  In my shop I have one outlet in the ceiling, directly over my table saw, with an extension dangling down where I can easily plug in a drill, sander, or other tool.  This saves having an extension cord strung across the floor where you can trip on it. 

LED lighting is finally coming into its own and now the prices are getting reasonable.  Install lots of lights, particularly over any work benches.  As you get older you will need the extra light.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
I'll chime in...as big as you can afford, and then some.  Electrical outlets every 4' (the ones with four outlets), at least one 220 outlet on each wall, and a couple outlets in the ceiling.  I'm serious about the ceiling.  In my shop I have one outlet in the ceiling, directly over my table saw, with an extension dangling down where I can easily plug in a drill, sander, or other tool.  This saves having an extension cord strung across the floor where you can trip on it. 

LED lighting is finally coming into its own and now the prices are getting reasonable.  Install lots of lights, particularly over any work benches.  As you get older you will need the extra light.

Peter Y.

I agree that ceiling outlets are really nice as is a large, high and sturdy workbench. I have some ceiling outlets wired to a switch for lighting so I can shuffle the light fixtures around as I see fit.
My garage is 22 by 28 deep. It's enough for the typical 4 bikes I have at any given time along with the tools, bike lift, storage for bike stuff, house maint tools and I can still get a car in for service or severe weather avoidance.

As a practical guide years ago I built a building for bikes to live in. It was 12 wide by 10 deep with 3 doors on the 12 foot wall. It turns out that a 10 by 12 footprint is a good minimum space for 3 bikes to park. You won't fix anything in there without moving one of them out.
Another way to look at it: I use approx 10x14 in my garage just for the toolbox, lift, bench and space to work. Nothing parks there.
Try this exercise:
Park your bikes in a clear area and then put a table there with them and mark off space for your tools and whatnot. Remember that you have to be able to navigate around it all and you don't want to play musical bikes every time you want to ride a particular one. You should be able to get an idea this way of what to go with size-wise.
On a very specific note I am using Feit 38 watt LED shop lights, bought them at costco for 35 bucks each. BRIGHT AS THE SUN!!! And they don't dim over time unlike my eyeballs.
Then add 3 ft to both dimensions! :thumb:

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »
I reckon you'll get by ok with 20x12 or 16.

Here in the UK garages are generally a lot smaller and hardly anyone one puts their car inside anyway. They'd rather put the lawnmower and garden furniture in there and leave the expensive car outside.

A lot comes down to the shape of the garage. I bought my timber garage to fit the space available and so it's 30x10 - long and skinny. It's worked out well. Easy parking at the front end for my 2 Guzzis (plus one) and room for the lift and benches at the further end.

1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
Sign 216,
I agree completely with v7john.  20x12 or 16 should work out fine.  I make do with 8x20 (3 bikes) though of course more room is always desirable.  HF has their mc dollies on sale at $69 and they make a world of difference in space utilization.  I would invest in more lighting before more outlets. 
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here