Author Topic: Tire Report V7 Stone  (Read 16151 times)

kevinw9

Tire Report V7 Stone
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »
Well just got back from another bike trip on my 2013 stone, about a month before I left I decided to replace the tires.  I was surprised to find out that the Pirelli Sport Demons were backordered. Went with the Continental Conti-go's.  I hadn't even heard of these tires, but decided to go with them as they seemed to be the only tire option at the time, and a couple reviews I read sounded good.  After 4,500km(2,800miles) on the trip the front has hardly any wear, and the back looks in really good shape.  Had the bike on a lot of twisty roads throughout Montana, Wyoming and Idaho and never felt any grip issues.  Just wanted to let you guys know that the Continentals are another option.  Bike now has 23,000km(14,000 miles) and everything is running great too.
Kevin

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Tire Report V7 Stone
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:23:03 AM »
In the correct dimensions available (at least here in Germany) beside the Sport Demon are e.g.: Metzeler Lasertec. Britgestone BT45. Dunlop Arrowmax Streetsmart. And hopefully Continental will replace the Go with the Classic Attack (a radial tire for classic bikes).

In the moment I am interested in either the BT45 or the Streetsmart as both of them are said to be better in wet and cool conditions than the Pirelli.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Penderic

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:47:59 AM »
I am going to try the Michelin Pilot Activ tires on my Classic next. Price was better than the Pirelli I have on now.
Two new tubes and rim strips for my lovely spoke wheels with the rusty rims. I have been looking to replace the rims for a matching set of something betterto lace up but couldn't find a reasonable set that ships to my location. Polished alloy or chrome steel is my style.  :cool:

Good time to check the brake pads too.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:56:58 AM »
Since this is a tire thread, don't overlook the Pirelli calendar in your quest for tires. 
It's not just women, it's Art.

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:56:58 AM »

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:07:58 AM »
I have used the Michelin Pilot Activ's on my Triumph Bonneville and I love them.  They got significantly better mileage than the Metzelers or Avons and seemed much more resistant to cupping.  They are smooth riding and handle well wet or dry.  My .02.  YMMV
2009 Norge, Staintune, Helibars, lower pegs, Russell seat, Matris fork kit and shock, more to come...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:21:45 AM »
I had OEM Metzler Lasertecs on my '13 Stone, and they had a couple K more miles left when I sold the bike with 12K miles.  My new '16 Stone came with Pirelli Sport Demons and there's already significant wear, on the rear tire, at 3200 mi.  WTF, that means I couldn't even go from coast to coast and back without having to change at least the rear tire.  These are supposed to be street tires, not race tires, and I'm certainly not racing on them.  Would anyone care to explain why motorcycle tires wear out so fast?  My last few cars have had the cheapest Michelin radials, which usually last about 75K miles.  That's about 20 times longer.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:56:23 AM »
Since this is a tire thread, don't overlook the Pirelli calendar in your quest for tires. 

And it's got "The Stig" in the picture for got measure!
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 08:11:37 AM »
I had OEM Metzler Lasertecs on my '13 Stone, and they had a couple K more miles left when I sold the bike with 12K miles.  My new '16 Stone came with Pirelli Sport Demons and there's already significant wear, on the rear tire, at 3200 mi.  WTF, that means I couldn't even go from coast to coast and back without having to change at least the rear tire.  These are supposed to be street tires, not race tires, and I'm certainly not racing on them.  Would anyone care to explain why motorcycle tires wear out so fast?  My last few cars have had the cheapest Michelin radials, which usually last about 75K miles.  That's about 20 times longer.

Come on man, I KNOW you already know the answer.

Car tires can vary as much as motorcycle tires. It all depends on the tread thickness and type (tread wear/stick etc.) as well as inflation pressures and usage.

I've seen car tires that can't make it to 20-25k (on our Mini Cooper S or my current Juke) and our current Jeep GC was approaching the wear bars by about 45k.

EDIT FOR CLARITY:

The LazerTechs that came on my Jackal were crap, and I ran Metzeler ME88's most of its life instead. I found the ME88's (and later ME880s) to be a nice balance between stick and life.

The Sport Demons that came on my Stone were EXCELLENT, but they were VERY sticky and I was lucky to get about 7k out of the rear. The Michelin Pilot Activ that replaced it seems a little less sticky (probably not an issue for my usage) but I'm guessing (and am told) it should last longer.

But I guess the point is there's no free lunch in tires...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:27:39 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 08:35:29 AM »
Come on man, I KNOW you already know the answer....

The LazerTechs that came on my Jackal were crap, and I ran Metzelers most of its life instead. I found the Metzelers to be a nice balance between stick and life....
Wait, now I'm even more confused.  Aren't Lazertecs made by Metzler?

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »
Yes we had Lazertech tires on three Triumph bikes and I'd never have them again.  Rubbish IMO.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 09:26:18 AM »
Wait, now I'm even more confused.  Aren't Lazertecs made by Metzler?

Sorry, distracted by kids.

I ran Metzeler ME88's on the Jackal as opposed to Metzeler Lazertechs.

Same company, different compounds = different expectations (tire life vs. stick).

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »
Yes we had Lazertech tires on three Triumph bikes and I'd never have them again.  Rubbish IMO.

:1:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
OK, I get the point that nobody seems to like Lasertecs.  In my experience, admittedly squid-ish, the Lasertecs served me well enough on the '13 Stone.  My '16 Stone, with Speed Demons, does seem to lead into turns a bit more abruptly, and I assume the difference is due to the different tires.  It took a short time for me to adjust, but now it seems normal.  I suppose I'll just have to get used to buying at least one new tire every season.

Penderic

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
I like to play with the tire pressure. As little as 2 lbs either way can make the tire feel a lot worse, or noticeably better. (sometimes).

Arrr. Ima Pirate Brand

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
I like to play with the tire pressure. As little as 2 lbs either way can make the tire feel a lot worse, or noticeably better. (sometimes).

Arrr. Ima Pirate Brand
I guess you can call that an aggressive tread.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »

That is one of the most beautiful images I've seen in a while.  IMHO, there is nothing more appealing than the feminine form.  Perhaps this is the start of a Tasteful MG girl photo thread?

Penderic

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »
And tricks with wheels!  :popcorn:

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
Ah yes, I forgot the Michelin!

Does anybody has experience with the tyres in  cold and wet conditions?
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
Ah yes, I forgot the Michelin!

Does anybody has experience with the tyres in  cold and wet conditions?

I ran the Michelin Pilot Activ on my California Bassa and loved the tire.

99% chance I'll use them on the V7 Special when the OEM Pirelli Sport Demons are toast.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TBShorty

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »
I've been disappointed with the Demons on my 14 Stone since I got this bike.  Tried playing pressure up and down.  They slide or lock-up much too easily for me.  I'm 69 yrs. old and not an overly aggressive rider (maybe in the canyons of Utah).  I put Michelins on my Thunderbird Sport and love the traction wet or dry.  They seem to be wearing well also. I know the T-Bird is heavier than my Guzzi but I will be changing over to Michelins as soon as I can.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 01:36:37 AM »
TBShorty, that is exactly what I experience with the Pirelli on my Stone. I like to ride between 7� and 20� Centigrade and then the Pirelli likes to loose the grip at very modest manoeuvres, especially if it is moist. I simply have no good contact to the road with the Pirelli. Of course, when it is warm outside...

And the things loose pressure (tubeless). So I look for better tyres. In the moment the choice for me seems to be: Streetsmart, BT45, Pilot Activ. The Dunlop could be the tyre for me as it has an amount of silica in its compound.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:38:38 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
TB and Fossil, I'm a little perplexed at the reasons for our different experience or perception of the Sport Demons.

For ME, they seemed to stick like glue. No complaints in dry or wet, in hot or cold.

As a matter of fact, I went to a Pilot Activ to replace the rear when it wore out, not for performance, but for hopefully more mileage. However I immediately felt like I gave up a little bit of grip. It's not been a problem and I was just getting randy on it yesterday, before getting poured on a few times, so I had it in the hot and dry, and the hot and wet and it was fine, but still, seemingly less so than the Demon.

<shrugs>
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline paulbr

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 07:01:02 AM »
I'm also satisfied with the grip from the Pirellis. It's winter here so typically riding around in about 5-12 degrees Celsius though I don't ride all that much in the wet

And I think fossil must tbe unlucky with them losing pressure - I check mine weekly and add about 1/2 a psi every few weeks which I reckon is what I lose to the gauge. I run front and back around 36.5-37psi

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
TB and Fossil, I'm a little perplexed at the reasons for our different experience or perception of the Sport Demons.

For ME, they seemed to stick like glue. No complaints in dry or wet, in hot or cold.

<snip>

<shrugs>

+1 for me on grip although I haven't had the bike long enough to experience cold weather.

I'm running 38 psi F&R.  I've only had to add air twice since I got the bike.

I also have the Garmin TPS linked to my GPS which does a good job of keepng track of tire pressure.
2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
I also find the Sport Demons to be a bit "greasy".  I most likely won't replace with the same tire when needed.  I'm not keen on the front tire at all.  The rear seems a bit better.  I'll look here to see what's working and go from there.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 09:14:28 AM »
I also find the Sport Demons to be a bit "greasy".  I most likely won't replace with the same tire when needed.  I'm not keen on the front tire at all.  The rear seems a bit better.  I'll look here to see what's working and go from there.
It is strange how different riders can report such different tire behaviors.  I've read that Sport Demons have an easier time than other tires with pavement tar strips.  Not for me.  I never even noticed tar strips with the Lasertecs on my '13 Stone, but with the Sport Demons on my '16 Stone, I find tar strips to be scary.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:03 AM »
Yes, these are exactly the observations I made with the Pirellis. When it is hot they are good. But here in Northern Germany often it is cool, sometimes cold, and wet a lot of the time. And then I have that indifferent feeling..

One time I was slowly rolling (!) though a corner I have driven with cars (even such bad things as Smarts) thousands of times. Suddenly the front tyre loosed all grip. I prevented the bike from falling with my leg (I was that slow).

And the pressure loss is the same on old and new tyres.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »
Since upgrading my suspension my Pirelli's have been very good.  When riding with the stock over-sprung suspension I too was losing grip. I'm going with another Pirelli rear next week and keeping the front since it still has plenty of life left. I've got 6500 miles on them and probably could get another 500-1000 on the rear, but I'm not into pushing wear limits on tires. I am open to something else but I'm going to stick with the Sport Demons (no pun intended) until I wear this set out. I suspect those having grip issues may need to look at suspension to get the most out of the tires, it solved my problem.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 11:08:20 AM »

As a matter of fact, I went to a Pilot Activ to replace the rear when it wore out, not for performance, but for hopefully more mileage. However I immediately felt like I gave up a little bit of grip. It's not been a problem and I was just getting randy on it yesterday, before getting poured on a few times, so I had it in the hot and dry, and the hot and wet and it was fine, but still, seemingly less so than the Demon.

<shrugs>

I'm shrugging, too. And scratching my head.  :smiley: Running hard in the canyons, they'll look (sorta) like race rubber. I've never ridden a stickier tire on a Tonti.

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »
Race Tech front end kit/custom remote Ohlins in rear.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here