Author Topic: What bike for a tourer?  (Read 21394 times)

Offline Hugh Straub

• New Egg
Re: What bike for a tourer?
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »
NT 700 Honda.  A very capable 670 cc touring bike...works a treat.
Brgds

Hugh
"Often wrong, never in doubt"

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2016, 08:26:48 PM »
Get a good 'ol tonti frame bike a build your own. My 850 LeMans gets me around just fine
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »
I had a BMW R1100RT for quite a while - super competent and comfortable tourer. I have a 1992 K75s now that has hard luggage and is also a good tourer. Both of those old BMWs can be had very inexpensively - and pristine, low-mileage versions can be found if you are patient. Both are fairly heavy - but that translates into stability, which is nice when touring.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
I had a BMW R1100RT for quite a while - super competent and comfortable tourer. I have a 1992 K75s now that has hard luggage and is also a good tourer. Both of those old BMWs can be had very inexpensively - and pristine, low-mileage versions can be found if you are patient. Both are fairly heavy - but that translates into stability, which is nice when touring.
So many great options, really depends on your needs and wants.  Also, consider winds - my RT didn't do too great in crosswinds with its big fairing - Duc ST and the Bandit cut through much better.  That being said, the RT was a very nimble handling bike and a real mile-eater.  Enjoy the search!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2016, 11:00:19 PM »
The thing I've found over the years like all the old timers here, is that you don't find out how good your tourer is until a few factors occur at the same time, day after day after day etc... by that I mean, you can accept mediocre power on a good day, one up, no real hills etc. but, picture this. You're carrying a passenger, and it's getting darker sooner than you thought, the wind is now on your nose and you're about to pull out and pass a truck belching black smoke and making your headache worse. So you pull out to pass and because you're tired, you failed to notice that there's 4 cars in front of the truck and you're committed to the pass, so you open the throttle and 65 hp begins to gently accelerate you past the cars toward the dip in the road ahead now bathed in darkness and a set of pathetic headlights pop up out of the dip coming towards you ! The point behind this piece of gratuitous drama is that, anyone can tell you how their 850 Mk 2 Le Mans always looked after them ok but when 2 or 3 things conspire at the SAME TIME to make things difficult it can take all the fun away and sometimes worse. Test ride your bike with luggage on board and a passenger if one's available. You need the best lights you can, best brakes you can, best wind protection (variable on a Norge), best mid range pull 3,500 - 7,000 rpm, and 400 km range, because if you're worried about running out of fuel, you'll probably have to slow down to get to the gas station and at night that's miserable, because if it's raining that cars coming behind you at 30 kph faster, won't see your pathetic taillight that's obscured by your luggage that's covering it since you have insufficient room to fit it all on 'cos you're carrying a passenger. Get the best one you can. (Norges' are beaut)...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:03:29 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »
To me, "Touring" is NOT droning on endlessly on the highway (that's what a car is for).
 It's more about the ride, not the destination.  So the V7 is very adequate for that.
With due respect I get your point, but he's not buying a bike for me, you or anyone else. I know that sounds narky but it's not meant that way at all Cam. As it happens your point is very true IMO, but we don't really know what his expectations are.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »
Highly underrated !!!

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2016, 06:31:27 AM »
I can second the idea of a Deauville (Honda NT700).  I only put 30k on mine before I sold it.  It was not super light at just over 500lb but it wasn't that heavy either.  Some owners thought they were a bit top heavy.  Fully loaded for camping it was a chore to pick it up after a drop (yes, I did that with mine).

Interesting that Huzo kinda likes it after the treatise on lack of power, cause the NT is definitely lower on power.  The T5 with the SPIII fairing felt faster and it was not that great.

But, it goes back to how you want to travel and what style bike you want.  Naked and light.  More power.  Windshield and bags.  Forward lean.  Lounge chair.  Floorboards or pegs.  Forward or rearset.

You can tour on a 250cc Ninja or even a scooter.  I would not even dream of it, but, there are always a couple 250cc bikes in the Iron Butt rally.

Oh, and I for one was happy to drone along on the interstate or long straight roads, especially when I wanted to eat up miles.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

oldbike54

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
I am looking for some opinions based on either your own experience owning the bikes or just your obsession with knowing all there is about the new lineup of MG.  I am considering buying a new Guzzi for some multi-state touring BUT I am not interested in the 600lb+ beasts in the lineup, like the Norge or Stelvio and I definitely am not a 'bagger' kind of rider.  So, is there any one of the V7 or V9 lineup that stands out as the one that would come closest to being a good all around tourer, with the proper equipment?  Or are they all about the same...I just don't know all the differences and nuances that may be offered by Guzzi.

Let's see , he isn't interested in 600 LB motorbikes , or baggers , he is curious about the small block. NO NO NO , you want a Norge , or a Honda , or a Harley , or a home built special , or a ... has anyone mentioned a Ducati ST ??  :shocked: :evil: Some of you guys remind me of the salesman my mom and I encountered years ago . We were looking for a nice basic car for her , only needed to haul her and a very occasional passenger the few miles from her place to town, and be capable of dealing with some bad roads . The salesman kept steering us towards something that resembled the car from National Lampoon's Vacation . The salesman kept saying things like " You'll appreciate all this extra room when the kids come to visit" , and " The road hugging weight on this car is great" . We went somewhere else  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »
The thing I've found over the years like all the old timers here, is that you don't find out how good your tourer is until a few factors occur at the same time, day after day after day etc... by that I mean, you can accept mediocre power on a good day, one up, no real hills etc. but, picture this. You're carrying a passenger, and it's getting darker sooner than you thought, the wind is now on your nose and you're about to pull out and pass a truck belching black smoke and making your headache worse. So you pull out to pass and because you're tired, you failed to notice that there's 4 cars in front of the truck and you're committed to the pass, so you open the throttle and 65 hp begins to gently accelerate you past the cars toward the dip in the road ahead now bathed in darkness and a set of pathetic headlights pop up out of the dip coming towards you ! The point behind this piece of gratuitous drama is that, anyone can tell you how their 850 Mk 2 Le Mans always looked after them ok but when 2 or 3 things conspire at the SAME TIME to make things difficult it can take all the fun away and sometimes worse. Test ride your bike with luggage on board and a passenger if one's available. You need the best lights you can, best brakes you can, best wind protection (variable on a Norge), best mid range pull 3,500 - 7,000 rpm, and 400 km range, because if you're worried about running out of fuel, you'll probably have to slow down to get to the gas station and at night that's miserable, because if it's raining that cars coming behind you at 30 kph faster, won't see your pathetic taillight that's obscured by your luggage that's covering it since you have insufficient room to fit it all on 'cos you're carrying a passenger. Get the best one you can. (Norges' are beaut)...

Respectfully, this is nonsense meant to sell/justify something the OP said he didn't want in the first place.

Your scenario is easily remedied:

1. Don't pass a truck blind.
2. Don't pass a truck with a dip in the road ahead.
3. Don't pass too close to dusk.
4. Don't ride too fast near dusk (forest rats be it marsupials mammals or plain old mammals tend to do stupid things at that time of day).
5. If a truck is belching black smoke and it's giving you a headache you can also drop back, take 5 minutes, and stop pacing him.

Or stated another way:

You need the best lights you can, best brakes you can, best wind protection (variable on a Norge), best mid range pull 3,500 - 7,000 rpm

Cause let's face it - no GUZZI is going to win all of those categories (if any).

And that last one is humorous, it's like Kramer being dojo champion.

"Best mid range pull, downhill, on a low humidity night, between 3995 rpm and 4225 rpm, on a Tuesday, with a full-super-moon"

:kiss:  :boozing:  :evil:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2016, 07:43:11 AM »
Highly underrated !!!

And then after all that BS about best head lights, brakes, and power you make that statement about this bastion of mediocrity?

Oy Gevalt!

I can second the idea of a Deauville (Honda NT700).  <snip>

Interesting that Huzo kinda likes it after the treatise on lack of power, cause the NT is definitely lower on power.  The T5 with the SPIII fairing felt faster and it was not that great.

And I'm not the only one to notice!  :copcar:  :afro:

:shocked:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:45:12 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »
I can second the idea of a Deauville (Honda NT700).

Yeah Charlie that does seem contradictory and to a large degree probably is, but what I meant was that given the absolutely vile criticism they got here for no good reason, they seem to do a damn good job of what they were designed for, although I've never owned or ridden one but owners seem to like them, the poor old CX 500 Honda got the label "plastic maggot" and I don't know what they did to deserve that, in that way they were underrated also by the fact that too many people thought they were shite. Back to the power thing, I'd still maintain that the Doughville (sic) would hit a bit of a wall if you took it past it's design brief, but I guess in fairness that goes for anything. I just don't know why you'd buy one when you could get a VTR 1000 for similar money. As for lack of power, everything's gutless compared to a Hyabusa, GTR 1400 or similar but if you're about to write a cheque for a tourer, what's the point in coming home with something that's "pretty good". I just reckon carrying the extra capability that a suitably large bike has, is worth it even if you never extract that chunk of performance.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
Let's see , he isn't interested in 600 LB motorbikes , or baggers , he is curious about the small block. NO NO NO , you want a Norge , or a Honda , or a Harley , or a home built special , or a ... has anyone mentioned a Ducati ST ??  :shocked: :evil: Some of you guys remind me of the salesman my mom and I encountered years ago . We were looking for a nice basic car for her , only needed to haul her and a very occasional passenger the few miles from her place to town, and be capable of dealing with some bad roads . The salesman kept steering us towards something that resembled the car from National Lampoon's Vacation . The salesman kept saying things like " You'll appreciate all this extra room when the kids come to visit" , and " The road hugging weight on this car is great" . We went somewhere else  :rolleyes:

Dusty
Yeah look Dusty You're right, just buy something that looks like it'll work and ride the bastard 'till it wears out. It's probably possible to over think this stuff, bugger it, on a good day there's no such thing as a "bad" bike if you're having fun.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
Highly underrated !!!

And then after all that BS about best head lights, brakes, and power you make that statement about this bastion of mediocrity?

Oy Gevalt!

And I'm not the only one to notice!  :copcar:  :afro:

:shocked:
Kev, I said that I thought it was underrated because of the stinking reputation that they have, not because I or you would want one. I think you'd argue about two flies walking up the wall but you're not doing any harm I guess. Now as for your solution about how not to get in trouble in the ways that I described, you are absolutely correct but you know it can and sometimes does happen. If you think my scenario is BS then I have to admit that most of the time it is, but I was only trying to point out that the better capability you have, the more chance you have of enjoying yourself and staying alive. I did try to understand what your response meant but it's a bit over my head. I'd value your opinion if you'd, care to re present it in English though. Oh and Kev, I'm not trying to justify or sell the idea of a Norge to anyone, I couldn't give a rats ass if no one else on earth owned one, I just happen to be happy with the fact that it's the best bike I've ever owned and while there's Harley Fergusons out there, I'll know it's not the ugliest bike on the road.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:11:24 PM by Huzo »

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2016, 01:55:42 PM »
Let's see ... you want a Norge , or a Honda , or a Harley , or a home built special , or a ... has anyone mentioned a Ducati ST ??  :shocked: :evil:
 Dusty
Not me, nope.  I didn't mention the Ducati ST. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »
Admittedly, my longest day with the Lario has been 400 and change miles..but it's completely capable of "touring."
So's a V7/V9. Same basic platform forever.
2016-05-13_04-15-39 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Of course, when I get old  :evil: I may have to drop down to the Monza.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline decotriumph

• Hatchling
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
I think a V9 would be a good light tourer if it fits you ergonomically. It has decent power and it's physically a bit bigger than a V7. Throw on a windscreen and some soft luggage and you're good to go.
Alan M
Tullahoma, TN

2004 Moto Guzzi California EV1100 Touring

Past Guzzis:
2020 V85TT Adventure
2017 V9 Bobber
2014 Stelvio NTX
2012 Stelvio
2000 Jackal
1997 1100i Sport
1975 850T

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »
I think a V9 would be a good light tourer if it fits you ergonomically. It has decent power and it's physically a bit bigger than a V7. Throw on a windscreen and some soft luggage and you're good to go.
Yes mate, fundamentally anything that starts and stops will tour. You will eventually have to live some shortcomings no matter what you're on. Some aspects are more important to get right than others. What capacity is the fuel tank in litres and what does that translate to in effective range ?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:16:48 PM by Huzo »

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
Not me, nope.  I didn't mention the Ducati ST.

I almost bought an ST - but at the time I ended up with my BMW RT instead. I regret that - and still look longingly at the ST2, 3, and 4 when I stumble upon them on Craigslist.

Adventure bikes make great tourers too. My KTM 950 Adventure would go anywhere with lots of gear and three hard cases. While heavy by dirt-bike standards, it's a featherweight by tourer standards.

You know what else makes me get all stoopid? The Cagiva Gran Canyon. It's a 900cc Ducati motor in an adventure bike with hard bags. Very reasonably priced, not too many out there, but would probably make a great sporty, lightweight touring mount that is more than capable of touring some dirt roads. And if that interests you, you should probably also be looking at the Moto Guzzi Quota...
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

twowings

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
Go to the ADVRider website...people have toured (around the world in some cases) on every motorized two- and three-wheeled conveyance known to the civilized world and it appears that 99% of them had the time of their lives regardless of the size or intial suitability for traveling...

Pick something, load it up, and go...if it doesn't work out, get something else. Ride.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2016, 07:25:52 PM »
Kev, I said that I thought it was underrated because of the stinking reputation that they have, not because I or you would want one. I think you'd argue about two flies walking up the wall but you're not doing any harm I guess. Now as for your solution about how not to get in trouble in the ways that I described, you are absolutely correct but you know it can and sometimes does happen. If you think my scenario is BS then I have to admit that most of the time it is, but I was only trying to point out that the better capability you have, the more chance you have of enjoying yourself and staying alive. I did try to understand what your response meant but it's a bit over my head. I'd value your opinion if you'd, care to re present it in English though. Oh and Kev, I'm not trying to justify or sell the idea of a Norge to anyone, I couldn't give a rats ass if no one else on earth owned one, I just happen to be happy with the fact that it's the best bike I've ever owned and while there's Harley Fergusons out there, I'll know it's not the ugliest bike on the road.
Well are the flies actually walking up the wall or climbing???
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2016, 07:35:26 PM »
Serious answer.

I enjoy the friendly banter my friend.

If you ever make it to NJ please let me host you and buy a couple (dozen?) rounds.

My premise is born of long choosing the underdog of performance.

I've ridden Harleys and Guzzis through the rush hour traffic or high speed mid-day bustle of major highways in NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and a number of other metropolises. And I've ridden many, many more miles on the various suburban expanses between them.

I've never, not once in my life thought "shit just a few more HP would save my life.'

But I've many, many times noticed how slowing can help slow everything else around me.

So yes, is just my opinion based on my limited experience, but slowing is WAY WAY more effective to me then going with regards to safety.

I enjoyed my B11 (half-naked Norge) and can appreciate what a fine machine it was. I've also had the privilege of riding press bike after press bike and deciding NOT to buy them afterwards.

The OP seems to have an understanding of what he wants. He wasn't asking for us to redefine it, just to explain if there was a Guzzi that meets his basic requirements. He already dismissed the CARCS as NOT meeting them. Why the hell are some of us still trying to change his mind?

I'm not trying to convince anyone what they need, never mind what they want, but I do know from experience what they CAN do with a smallblock IF IT MEETS THEIR DESIRES.

I guess that's all I'm debating.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
Awww screw it! Go get a Toyota!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
i think it does not matter what you ride to tour on , over the years I have come across riders on all kinds of bikes some by choice and some by necessity  met a young fellow that rode a CT90 from Seattle to Prince Edward Island  Canada and back, a long ways on any motorcycle , he putters along at 40 mph and loved his trip for the most part, had her packed up with all the gear he needed , camping all the way there and back. At the time it was all he had and the bike didnt skip a beat. good way to really see the country nice and easy.
Talked with a rider that rode a Vincent about the same distance only through the southern  USA an back via Canada to Vancouver , total commitment to his bike and the adventure of his ride., he was loving every minute of it.On the large scale met a couple from Calgary on a Wing , tent trailer the whole works they travel all year.. winter in Florida , many stories of their travels all over Canada and the USA including Alaska, i met them when i was on a 4500 mile trip on my  Suzuki GSXR 1100 and had nothing but a tail pack and tank bag.
Any motorcycle can tour and its the rider that makes the adventure happen you adapt and ride.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:12:48 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »
Excuse me, could someone please help me find the Moto Guzzi forum? :violent1:

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »
Loved touring on my Breva 1100 with hard panniers and top case.  Had for a song these days.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2016, 10:35:56 PM »
Serious answer.

I enjoy the friendly banter my friend.

If you ever make it to NJ please let me host you and buy a couple (dozen?) rounds.

My premise is born of long choosing the underdog of performance.

I've ridden Harleys and Guzzis through the rush hour traffic or high speed mid-day bustle of major highways in NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and a number of other metropolises. And I've ridden many, many more miles on the various suburban expanses between them.

I've never, not once in my life thought "shit just a few more HP would save my life.'

But I've many, many times noticed how slowing can help slow everything else around me.

So yes, is just my opinion based on my limited experience, but slowing is WAY WAY more effective to me then going with regards to safety.

I enjoyed my B11 (half-naked Norge) and can appreciate what a fine machine it was. I've also had the privilege of riding press bike after press bike and deciding NOT to buy them afterwards.

The OP seems to have an understanding of what he wants. He wasn't asking for us to redefine it, just to explain if there was a Guzzi that meets his basic requirements. He already dismissed the CARCS as NOT meeting them. Why the hell are some of us still trying to change his mind?

I'm not trying to convince anyone what they need, never mind what they want, but I do know from experience what they CAN do with a smallblock IF IT MEETS THEIR DESIRES.

I guess that's all I'm debating.
Oh ok Kev, that's shifted things completely and I also enjoy it too. Look Kev, I didn't want to even try to swing the guy towards what I have, I only said that I reckon they're beaut as a bit of a light hearted quip. But honestly Kev, you've been around a long time and done heaps, do you think what I said really was BS ? I'd admit it if it was but we know that sort of stuff happens, but anyway, thanks for the post and I enjoy the banter when I know that's what it is.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:07 PM »
Yeah, good point...

Offline jim_W

• New Egg
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »
I know this is a Guzzi forum but the ST1100 is the best touring bike I have ever owned and this one happens to be for sale.

img bb
"There are a few must-haves in life. They are (1) air, (2) food and drink, (3) clothing, (4) shelter, and (5) a good revolver. Everything else is optional."

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
I know this is a Guzzi forum but the ST1100 is the best touring bike I have ever owned and this one happens to be for sale.

img bb

They must be absolutely bulletproof, but he doesn't want anything too heavy

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here