Author Topic: What bike for a tourer?  (Read 21401 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What bike for a tourer?
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
So I re-read the original post, and the ONLY family of bikes that fills the bill is the current small block Guzzis.

Bobber, Roamer.

Or any of the V7 series.

So I say get a Stornello. Awesome looking thing. Tie on some laundry, keep the credit card charged up and have at it.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2016, 05:57:29 AM »
I am looking for some opinions based on either your own experience owning the bikes or just your obsession with knowing all there is about the new lineup of MG.  I am considering buying a new Guzzi for some multi-state touring BUT I am not interested in the 600lb+ beasts in the lineup, like the Norge or Stelvio and I definitely am not a 'bagger' kind of rider.  So, is there any one of the V7 or V9 lineup that stands out as the one that would come closest to being a good all around tourer, with the proper equipment?  Or are they all about the same...I just don't know all the differences and nuances that may be offered by Guzzi.

For touring you will want a few things, if you're like me.  Low pipes so saddle bags fit easier and have available racks, large tank for range, tubeless tires (my preference for flat fixing), ability for wind protection and seat options (all bums are different so one size doesn't fit all).

Based on the above I would go with a simple V7 Stone and start kitting it out to your taste. Bike had adequate power and standard ergos so a nice blank canvas.  Good luck.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2016, 12:19:42 AM »
Lots of options, not sure about a Guzzi though.... Depends what you want for Weather protection and seat options. The V7 may have more options than the V9.  I dont think EITHER are good for touring, but I know a guy who 'tours; on a vespa so........ You just need to find what fits and speaks to you.

I like the MV Agusta, Yamaha FJ09, or Aprilia Mana/Shiver,  but there is also the BMW F800, Honda VFR 800, or NC700, for the dual sport/tour approach the Triumph Tiger, Kawa Versys, Suzuki VStrom 650's, Then there is also DUC Hypermotard/Strada,  A bunch of Yamahas (FZ, FJ), and a growing list of 'sporting -touring Cruiser style bikes.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:24:03 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
The MV Turismo Veloce is a world-beater.  All day comfortable, but doesn't give up anything when you reach the twisties.  MSRP is about twice the V7.  But by the time you've put money into hard luggage, windshield, and better suspension for the V7, the difference is not so shocking.  It also helps if you buy the MV at bankruptcy sale prices.

I'm still going to put a V7 or V9 in my garage, but I expect the MV will get the nod for touring.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »

Offline darkstar1269

• New Egg
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »
I love my V7 and I am sure it could fill your needs here (because I have done several long overnight journeys with it), but my GF just got a Kawasaki Vulcan S and threw some saddle bags and a windshield on there for under $300 total and that bike is low, light and has a nice highway cruising feel.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2016, 03:29:12 PM »
I been following this thread with interest but haven't commented so far as touring conditions here are their own thing. (No superslab for a start)

I do wonder though if cee2cee is still bothering to follow the thread. In his OP the choice was limited to a V7 or a V9 and asked for reasons for choosing one over the other.

Well, a touring bike has to be reasonably comfortable, have a good range, be able to cruise at the speed you want to cruise at carrying the load you want to carry, and have ways of attaching such a load.  Beyond that it needs to be versatile enough to cope easily with the places you are likely to want to take it.

Size and weight seem to me to be inversely proportional to versatility.

For that reason and especially it's lack of range the V9  would, I think, discount itself. (and that's not taking into account the crap styling and the silly fat front wheel on one of them)

That leaves the V7.

I own a bike for touring and were I in the market for a bike right now that would also be my choice also. 

This is especially so since I had my first ride on a small block (Muzz's 750 Breva)
With Muzz on the back the beastie was as happy as a pig in a poke at 80 mph and I sure as hell wouldn't be touring at more than that, so it has all the power it needs for the job.

One should not forget that not at all that long ago a 750 was considered a mighty big bike. They haven't shrunk.

Outfit the V7 with bags and you're good to go. 
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2016, 09:08:03 AM »
OK OP, its time to weigh in here.  You have got enough opinions to gag a maggot, what have you concluded, other than half the posters on this board don't know how to read?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2016, 09:11:59 AM »
 The OP hasn't been active for almost 8 days , somethings tells me he or she went into information overload  :shocked: :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »
The OP hasn't been active for almost 8 days , somethings tells me he or she went into information overload  :shocked: :rolleyes:

Dusty

Could be we kilt him/her with kindness ;)

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »

Dusty

Or out touring the world on a Wee-Strom!
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »
Could be we kilt him/her with kindness ;)

Best,

Carlo

Well, you know, one of the good things about reading WG posts is that you don't HAVE to read the stuff that isn't applicable to you at that moment.

I've got no problem at all, if I were to say "I don't want saddle bags, but I want to tour.  Which V7 model, or V9, would be good for this?", to see whatever people might say about that.

If we're going to stay with the "Thread Purity" philosophy, then the answer is simple.   Any V7 or V9, and mount a top box to the back, and go.   Two or three posts and done.  Under "strict rules of golf", nothing else is allowed to be mentioned.

But that's never the way we roll here, and with the exception of a few control freaks, no one wants to.   We figure it MIGHT be helpful if we talk about throw-over panniers, or KLRs, or our experience with touring on a 500, or something that's marginally off-topic.   Then that might morph a bit into "Is Too, Is Not, Is Too" among some of the more opinionated, but that's easily skimmed or skipped with no harm to the thread content/theme.

Just because a big buffet is laid out, you don't need to run away just because you can't eat all of it in one sitting ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:00:06 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
Indeed Lannis, without your sage wisdom we would all be lost.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
Indeed Lannis, without your sage wisdom we would all be lost.

A few of you would, anyway.
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »
I have toured (more than two day trips) on a KLR, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda Valkyrie, BMW F800GS, CSC RX3 and Moto Guzzi Stelvio.
They were all good trips, and some bikes were more comfortable and capable than others. My overall favorite is the Stelvio. But, I'm not getting any younger, and the Stelvio is tall and heavy, so I traded it in on a 2016 V7II Stone. I'm still in the process of kitting it out with bags, windscreen and more, and haven't done any multiday trips yet, but, if the first 1100 miles are any indication, it is going to be an excellent touring machine.
Some of the reasons I chose it: easy servicing, shaft drive and tubeless tires. I fell in love with the Moto Guzzi mystique riding the Stelvio. And I think the exhaust sound is wonderful (OEM mufflers).

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:11:04 PM by redhawk47 »
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
I have toured (more than two day trips) on a KLR, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda Valkyrie, BMW F800GS, CSC RX3 and Moto Guzzi Stelvio.
They were all good trips, and some bikes were more comfortable and capable than others. My overall favorite is the Stelvio. But, I'm not getting any younger, and the Stelvio is tall and heavy, so I traded it in on a 2016 V7II Stone. I'm still in the process of kitting it out with bags, windscreen and more, and haven't done any multiday trips yet, but, if the first 1100 miles are any indication, it is going to be an excellent touring machine.
Some of the reasons I chose it: easy servicing, shaft drive and tubeless tires. I fell in love with the Moto Guzzi mystique riding the Stelvio. And I think the exhaust sound is wonderful (OEM mufflers).

I've been doing a great deal of reading about the V7II, also (and for the same reason). I sometimes ride the wife's BV500 around town, instead of my Vintage. That water-cooled scooter is the answer in traffic...mostly due to it's light weight. Well, it turns out the wet weight of the V7II is even less than the Beverly! I will jump on a Stone if the planets align...probably the coolest total package for a motorcycle that is available.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:47:29 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2016, 08:31:23 AM »
I believe the person who said: "The bike that best fits you would be the one to go with..." Very true...! :thumb: :cool:

In 2004-2005, I toured all around Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands on this classic '93 Triumph Trident 900 and it was just fine!  Good bike, light, smooth, fast and reliable...and it fit me perfectly!  :thumb: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Joe A.

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2016, 06:27:55 PM »
My purchase of the NC700X proved how much fun and versatile a tourer smaller, lighter and "ahem,ahem" underpowered bikes can be.
 My longest trip on it has only been a 1400 mile weekend jaunt but I did not feel I needed much more than what I was on.
Of course, it helps that I'm sort of a minimalist by nature.
Yesterday I received Ratguzzi's Breva 750 and I can't wait to get that little "underpowered" bike on a road trip.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here