Author Topic: V7 850 value  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
V7 850 value
« on: December 19, 2022, 06:27:43 AM »
 I realize this is Gonna be subjective. Weighing options considering selling or trading my v7 850. Went to rumble on because I’m curious. Anyways RumbleOn offered 2500.

Now I know Guzzi resale is low. But at 2500 bucks I’ll keep it till Kingdom come. Details 2021 v7 850 stone. 13700 miles. No crashes, drops or any insurance claims. Just maintenance and reasonable riding. What is the realistic market value on this? Opinions? 2500 just seems so unrealistic or am I unrealistic. Wouldn’t think you could get two wheels with rims for that.

My guess is they don’t want it. I was guessing the bikes trade in is between 5-6000? Thoughts appreciated I submitted pictures.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: V7 850 value
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 06:47:26 AM »
I agree with both your astonishment and you personal estimate. Maybe you accidentally included an extra 0 at the end of the mileage?  :cheesy:
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 07:02:20 AM »
RumbleOn - - such a total "rip-off" :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes: :shocked:

If they are offering you only $2500, then you know the CMV (Current Market Value) is at least DOUBLE, at $5000...or more.  I would keep it also... :thumb: :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 07:11:52 AM »
It’s a mixed emotion kind of thing . Most folks including lots of the motorcycle community haven’t heard of our fine Italian steeds ! How many times I’ve been asked , who makes it? . Even my excise tax people pretty much throw darts @ the wall determining value . Somewhere on this fantastic website there’s a post about numerous people going to the local RMV to get plates and such & the computer doesn’t recognize “Moto Guzzi” as a manufacturer. So in closing , don’t be surprised by such inaccuracies. A low valuation is good @ excise tax time . Not so great on resale values or heaven forbid when trying to get the insurance folks to get you accurate value after an accident .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 07:11:52 AM »

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 07:32:59 AM »
I have my 2021 posted here for much more and it hasn’t sold but it isn't exactly prime selling time.
Having said that, I would think $7k is not too much.
Rumble on and the others are below wholesale imho.
Kind of like real estate, it only takes one buyer and someone will understand and appreciate what it is and see the value. Don’t give it away, as it is a fine bike. My .02 anyway, ymmv.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 10:21:35 AM »
I usually check NADA and KBB values.  And compare those to craigslist and facebook marketplace ads.  And then price mine to look like a decent deal based on what else is out there for sale.

I have a friend who can't stand selling his used vehicles ... to him, if he gets $2000-$3000 less for a bike (by trading it in at a dealership vs selling it on his own), he is fine with that.  He likes what he considers the zero hassle of a trade in ... decide on new bike, take used bike to dealer, do deal, drive off with new bike.   Worst case was when he traded in a Ducati, the dealer gave him $2000 for his used Ducati that was worth around $5000.   I consider that a "we don't really want it" number from the dealership.   :laugh:

I've offered to sell a few bikes/cars for him, but he doesn't want to do it.  He wants to avoid things like a title exchange issue (what if the new owner doesn't title the bike for like a year or ever), or the buyer comes back to him about something, etc. 

I've never traded in any vehicle, the price difference is just crazy to me.  Like my friend, he could have put his Ducati on CL for maybe $4000 and sold it very quickly. 

I have noticed selling a Moto Guzzi takes longer, and you get more guys that are really just thinking about it vs ready to buy.  And at some point you can lower a price to where you get an interested party just because it seems like a decent deal ... but I try to avoid that, and just run the ad for longer until a person interested in your bike comes along. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 10:47:09 AM »
There is a guy over on Adventure rider looking for one. Does anybody own a V7 forum I think.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 11:27:47 AM »
You could go to EBAY, list your bike type under search, then go to "advanced", "sold. " That way you see actual sales and often how much they went for. 
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 11:36:13 AM »
NADA:

Suggested
List Price $8,990

Low
Retail $6,885

Average
Retail $9,060

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:17:08 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »
Go to the Accident Md. dealers web site, see what he is selling at and take off 2K.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 11:49:15 AM »
Your proximity to a dealer would help market the bike.  I've thought about putting my carbon on BAT but then I ride it and can't imagine parting with it. 

Sometimes you just have to decide it is time to move on and take your losses.  You can look at it as a divorce, or money spent for the experience.  People spend thousands on a vacation so what's the big deal spending it experiencing a particular motorcycle for a time.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2022, 12:19:11 PM »
Go to the Accident Md. dealers web site, see what he is selling at and take off 2K.

Using that as a guide, then $5999.
https://www.xps-usa.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=10556993&p=1&make=moto%20guzzi&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory
Charlie

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 01:23:56 PM »
When I would be unable to ride my Audace with any confidence I knew it needed to go. Prior to my ownership it had spent most of it's life on the dealership's floor so it is not a very desirable model. Selling it privately was probably going to take awhile. I was offered decent trade-in but I knew I would probably have to go to a Guzzi dealership which I did to get that decent price. I also like a hassle free sale. Several years ago I sold an old desirable CJ Jeep to a friend. He moved to another state and quit making payments to me. I couldn't find him and he wouldn't answer phone calls. A couple of years ago the Jeep turned up but when I tried to get a duplicate title the Jeep had dropped out of DMV's system because he had not registered it. Even though I am the lien holder there is nothing I can do. I have been told by law enforcement if I pick it up I can be arrested. So trading at a dealer is worth it to me and like it has been said the difference is worth the time I had the use of it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 01:36:40 PM »

There will always be low ballers..  I lived with that for years with my Victory.  Finally sold for very good price as there is "an ass for every seat" as the saying goes.  Just look country wide for the 850 then within 400 miles and price accordingly what people are actually paying.   Being a niche market works both for and against.
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Online Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 02:04:18 PM »
I've thought about putting my carbon on BAT but then I ride it and can't imagine parting with it. 
Bring a Trailer is a great site to get the nationwide exposure that something niche needs. Just make sure your listing doesn't overlap with holidays, that's when prices dip, otherwise things usually sell at a premium on BAT vs eBay.

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 04:52:22 PM »
 appreciate the response. Always an entertaining and enlightening discussion

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2022, 08:04:26 AM »
There was a guy selling a 22 Special blue, all stock and asking $9200.00 I told him a new bike was $9600.00 He said his was “better than new”  I offered $6000.00 would probably have gone $6500.00 He declined and opted to keep it listed.
I would think your Stone priced to Sell would be $5000.00 with $6000.00 as optimum.
If you posted the price at $2500.00 I would think it would sell in about 10 minutes.
I called on a 15 Stone At dealer in the Chicago area we made a deal at $4000.00 “out the door” paid via cashiers check from a local credit union. I drove out Friday, showed up at 9:00 AM Saturday they gave me an invoice for $5500.00 it contained $1500.00 “Dealer Fee’s” I fought with them and they reduced it to $500.00 but they insisted it was required to cover the “dealer prep” So I walked away. After that fiasco I would rather deal with an individual and be ready to pay a few dollars more if they are local.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »
OP - That outfit seems to be really bottom feeding trying to get the most vulnerable sellers to agree to outrageously low wholesale prices to move their vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that dealers and wholesalers NEED to buy a vehicle well below market to flip it for a profit. There's nothing wrong with that. But that number is beyond an insult low-ball.

This past fall I listed my 2016 FLHP RK for sale. I pulled a number of ~$17.9k from the value guides, and listed it for $16.5k, then checked with local dealers for a buy-outright/trade-in number. New and Used bike dealer floated numbers in the 8-12k range. I turned down a customer who initially offered $15k, then tried to lower that offer to $14.5k. And honestly, the $500 meant nothing, but I felt he'd negotiated in bad faith after he floated the $15k and I told him I'd take it. He didn't come back to me with some complaint about condition, he tried to get it lower based on finding another bike somewhere else that was the same price. I told him to go away, at that point.

Anyway, that said, IF I really NEEDED to get rid of it, I could have taken something in the $10k range from the dealers/wholesalers, or obviously gotten a couple grand more doing it myself.

I might list it again come spring - at the exact same price, or I might just keep it (which was always an option for me).

But if I NEEDED to get rid of it, there are options. Not sure I'd bother checking with RumbleOn though that's for damn sure.

Good luck...

NADA:

Suggested
List Price $8,990

Low
Retail $6,885

Average
Retail $9,060

I always start research with the KBB/NADA (JD Power/Powersports) numbers too. But when "Average Retail" comes back with numbers that are above what new is selling at a discount you know the numbers aren't real.

I know that when I was at Chilton there were labor and other value publishing numbers that were NOT taken from any market sources, they were taking from OEM plus or minus a factor. Depreciation was calculated not taken from auction sheets or other retail surveys.

MAYBE someone in the current market IS taking that data from auctions or sales sites. But it could be just as bad as accepting asking prices and not reflecting actual sales prices.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 11:40:03 AM »

I always start research with the KBB/NADA (JD Power/Powersports) numbers too. But when "Average Retail" comes back with numbers that are above what new is selling at a discount you know the numbers aren't real.

Those numbers are real enough when dealing with an insurance company.   :grin:

Periodically, over the past 30 years I have thought I wanted a Jeep Wrangler.  I have yet to find one that wasn't holding firm at $5000 over NADA/KBB.  Now I am too broken to enjoy one off road so have given up. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »
Those numbers are real enough when dealing with an insurance company.   :grin:

Periodically, over the past 30 years I have thought I wanted a Jeep Wrangler.  I have yet to find one that wasn't holding firm at $5000 over NADA/KBB.  Now I am too broken to enjoy one off road so have given up.

KBB has a buying service, basically their website hooks you up with wholesalers / used car dealers in your area.

This passed summer I TOYED with ordering a new Wrangler and wanted to see if that service would come near KBB trade numbers.

YUP - 2016 JKU Sahara, loaded, ~50k miles - I got offers from $30-32k (I only paid $38k new in 2016).

For the last decade or more the Wrangler has enjoyed one of the highest resale values in the market.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jackthebiker

• New Egg
  • 46 motorcycles so far
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 07:05:57 PM »
Rumbleon offered me $12,000 for my 2021 Heritage Classic this last August, two HD dealers offered me $16,000. I sold it to the nearest one. So yes, they low ball. I am in the market for a Guzzi V7 850 Special if someone has one.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 07:06:53 PM by jackthebiker »
Currently riding a 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Adventure  and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2022, 06:03:59 PM »
I casually inquired about trading my 2021 Stone for a V85 this morning and was offered $6300.  I wasn’t serious about trading as I really like my Stone.  I paid $8,000 for it in May.  I don’t think I even mentioned the Givi luggage rack, Dolomiti aluminum panniers or OEM and Clearview windshield I have for the bike in my email to the dealer. 

Pricing depends on location, dealer type, bike you’re trading towards, time of year, etc.  I happen to think new bike pricing has peaked and pricing in the secondhand market is showing signs of declining.  If I wanted to sell my bike I’d do it now but if I really wanted to trade towards a new bike I’d wait until June or July.  Just my .02

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here