Author Topic: Congratulations Max, Red Bull and Honda!  (Read 876 times)

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
Congratulations Max, Red Bull and Honda!
« on: December 12, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
Epic season and an epic and insane race. A miracle or luck may have been involved but that is part of racing, whether on 2, 4 or no wheels. So Happy that Hamilton didn't win it again.....time for someone new.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Congratulations Max, Red Bull and Honda!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 11:22:13 AM »
Don't hold your breathe, hopefully Mercedes protest will be successful. Ridiculous end to the race which I so hope is over turned. Hamilton was robbed.

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 12:42:16 PM »
WOW, just WOW. Congratulations Red Bull.
Hopefully Mad Max aggressive driving continues to serve him well year after year, my concern is the price of this to himself and others...
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »
Robbed? Karma I'd say!

Late revenge for Silverstone.

So happy for Max and Honda.

Also: Goodbye Kimi, we will miss you.

Awesome season. Best since 2012.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »
I'm glad to see a new Champ.  I think both drivers went passed the norms of sportsmanship during the season although, I think Max got perhaps more unfair press.  Race control has been very inconsistent.   That's compounded by race tracks with too much runoff- the only "limits" are painted lines.

I have to give much credit to Lewis for expressing support for international social justice.  Given sponsors' reluctance for controversy, I think Lewis is the first driver to use his position to ever do that. 

Lewis had the race covered but ran into bad luck in the final laps.  As much I like both drivers, I think the Mercedes team manager, Toto Wolfe, is one of the biggest jerks in motorsports.  As much as I hate to see strategy & luck bite Lewis, it was fun to see Toto fail.  Despite the bad luck, it was an exciting race.  F1 is typically quite boring, especially when compared to Indycar.   So this has been a refreshing championship and one of the few seasons in a decade where I've actually watched complete races. 

Max is really an exciting driver, it's great to see him win and Honda take the title in their final season.  Despite all the controversy, both drivers did a much better job considering the last race antics of Schumacher and Senna.  Those two guys will never be among my favorites. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »
Don't hold your breathe, hopefully Mercedes protest will be successful. Ridiculous end to the race which I so hope is over turned. Hamilton was robbed.

What the world needs is more lawsuits from those that can't believe they lost!
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/32851032/max-verstappen-confirmed-champion-mercedes-protest-dismissed
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 03:36:09 PM »
I'm glad to see a new Champ.  I think both drivers went passed the norms of sportsmanship during the season although, I think Max got perhaps more unfair press.  Race control has been very inconsistent.   That's compounded by race tracks with too much runoff- the only "limits" are painted lines.

I have to give much credit to Lewis for expressing support for international social justice.  Given sponsors' reluctance for controversy, I think Lewis is the first driver to use his position to ever do that. 

Lewis had the race covered but ran into bad luck in the final laps.  As much I like both drivers, I think the Mercedes team manager, Toto Wolfe, is one of the biggest jerks in motorsports.  As much as I hate to see strategy & luck bite Lewis, it was fun to see Toto fail.  Despite the bad luck, it was an exciting race.  F1 is typically quite boring, especially when compared to Indycar.   So this has been a refreshing championship and one of the few seasons in a decade where I've actually watched complete races. 

Aree with just about all that......not that what I think truly matters. But well said. And yes, Kimi will be missed.......what a great character..."Leave me alone....I know what I'm doing".
Scott

Max is really an exciting driver, it's great to see him win and Honda take the title in their final season.  Despite all the controversy, both drivers did a much better job considering the last race antics of Schumacher and Senna.  Those two guys will never be among my favorites.
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 04:37:41 PM »
Today the Netherlands got their first F1 champion. Max has been focused on this since he was 4 years old. Only 24 years old now. He doesn't live a jetset life, Racing is all there is. Mercedes had a lazy pitstop strategy, that cost them the championship.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »
Big fan of Peter Windsor and his F 1 analysis.  For those that are interested:  You Tube:  Max Champion, Lewis (still) brilliant by Peter Windsor.

As a side comment, I agree with the above posting regarding run off area.  These stupid cookie cutter courses with all this paved run off area "encourages"
over the top, dangerous driving with no consequence if you go off track or force another car off track.  I have been fortunate to watch F 1 on "proper" road racing circuits like Watkins Glen (yes, many years ago) and most recently at Spa.  This, to me , is what racing circuits should be to showcase what these cars
and drivers can achieve.  I understand where the money comes from and what drives the sport and why F 1 races on the current types of circuits with yachts tied up in the harbor.  Just not a fan.  I am sure I have sufficiently dated myself, and yes, I have been a fan for 45 + years. 

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 07:30:28 PM »
Hamilton was ROBBED?  You cannot be serious!  He gives as good as he gets-and today he GOT.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 10:26:17 AM »
I think that on the day the Merc was faster than the RB

However, with the VSC and real safety car whatever Merc did RB would do the opposite so would certainly leave Max in front if Merc went for a tire change

So come the end the only way Mercedes were going to win once Lafitti binned it, was if they finished behind the safety car and there was no way Hamilton was stopping a Red Bull on sticky tyres with Max at the wheel.

Still, it's a shame as I wanted Hamilton to win as you should support your local gun fighter to quote an old film :grin:

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
Very bizarre rules governing this race...how in the world does it make sense to eliminate the time gap that Hamilton had over Verstappen and let them start to race side by side just because some other racer had an accident.  They have all the data they need to let them race with the same time gap once the race is under way...

Very gentlemanly of Hamilton to have congratulated Verstappen...neithe r one bears the fault of the race officials' odd ruling here.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 12:01:13 PM »
Great season, great race. Either one deserved the championship.

I thought the call to finish under the green was brilliant.  I've seen enough races finish under the yellow/safety car.

Offline Snowman

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 04:51:11 PM »
 Congrats Max & Red Bull. I thought the stewards calls late in the race were setting up a race for TV. A setup? who knows? Now, Nascar were often accused of the same thing and look at how full their grandstands are now.
Max is fast for sure, courageous or dangerous? Happy we have a different champion but Max needs to grow up before he has a big wreck. Being pissed off and angry while open wheel racing ends about as well as riding a motorcycle while pissed off and angry.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:51:50 PM by Snowman »
2023 Suzuki GSXS1000GT+
2009 Guzzi Norge
1992 BMW R100RS
1985 BMW K100RS Turbo
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
1987 Suzuki GSXR50

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 05:46:10 PM »
I think that on the day the Merc was faster than the RB

However, with the VSC and real safety car whatever Merc did RB would do the opposite so would certainly leave Max in front if Merc went for a tire change

So come the end the only way Mercedes were going to win once Lafitti binned it, was if they finished behind the safety car and there was no way Hamilton was stopping a Red Bull on sticky tyres with Max at the wheel.

Still, it's a shame as I wanted Hamilton to win as you should support your local gun fighter to quote an old film :grin:

Blame Toto.  Lewis should've changed tires.  No way the race was going to end on a yellow.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 08:50:07 PM »
Congrats Max & Red Bull. I thought the stewards calls late in the race were setting up a race for TV. A setup? who knows? Now, Nascar were often accused of the same thing and look at how full their grandstands are now.
Max is fast for sure, courageous or dangerous? Happy we have a different champion but Max needs to grow up before he has a big wreck. Being pissed off and angry while open wheel racing ends about as well as riding a motorcycle while pissed off and angry.

I think Max HAS matured and I don't think he drives angry but certainly VERY aggressively. In motocross racing that pass he put on in the beginning would have been called a block pass, and the guy he blocked would have had to back off, not run off the track and cut the corner and end up 100' ahead. Bold and aggressive move me thinks. Either way I am thrilled that Verstappen is champion.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 10:09:46 PM »
I think Max HAS matured and I don't think he drives angry but certainly VERY aggressively. In motocross racing that pass he put on in the beginning would have been called a block pass, and the guy he blocked would have had to back off, not run off the track and cut the corner and end up 100' ahead. Bold and aggressive move me thinks. Either way I am thrilled that Verstappen is champion.
Scott

Again, change the tracks,  eliminate the runoff areas.  The same can be said about Marc Marquez and the riders since his time in Moto GP.

Also, give every car a pit stall. 

This way the drivers will settle it on the track- not race control. For both  F1 & MotoGP.
John L 

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 10:13:21 PM »
In boat racing it would be a violation of the overlap rule and an instant DQ. If you move over against another boat and force it off it's line or off the course you are in violation of the bearing away rule. Another instant DQ.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 10:15:26 PM »
of course mopar, this ain't boat racing, thanks.
John L 

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2021, 02:56:13 AM »
Blame Toto.  Lewis should've changed tires.  No way the race was going to end on a yellow.

....... and in that case Lewis would have ended up behind a very determined Max on the same tyres who would be driving an extremely wide Red Bull with nothing to loose from a shunt (provided it didn't look deliberate  :wink:)

It's motor racing!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here